PDA

View Full Version : Vincent educates, but Simpson may start this year

The_Philster
06-19-2006, 05:02 AM
In the Buffalo Bills' recent mini-camps, 14-year veteran free safety Troy Vincent has graciously helped the team's younger defensive backs learn the ropes. The five-time Pro Bowler has worked closely with Bills rookies such as first round strong safety Donte' Whitner, third round cornerback Ashton Youboty and fourth round free safety Ko Simpson.
Since his positional switch, Vincent's coverage skills have clearly diminished, but his playmaking ability has, for the most part, remained steadfast in its solidity. Last season, Vincent tied for the Bills' lead with four interceptions. Buffalo's defense struggled mightily in '05, but that certainly can't be attributed to Vincent's play. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/06/vincent-simpson-bills190606.html)

YardRat
06-19-2006, 05:09 AM
Might as well start Simpson this year. The Bills aren't a play-off team, they're building for the future, and the only way Simpson is going to improve is by playing in games that mean something.

Hand him the starting position, give him a full 16 games, and let's see what he has :D

Don't Panic
06-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Might as well start Simpson this year. The Bills aren't a play-off team, they're building for the future, and the only way Simpson is going to improve is by playing in games that mean something.

Hand him the starting position, give him a full 16 games, and let's see what he has :D

I take it your a Losman fan, too. I tend to agree to some extent, but I can see Vincent being very effective in this new defensive scheme. I think he needs to get the start in week one, and we'll take it from there. If he falters, or worse yet, we falter, then you can think about changes, but it would be very unwise to have him on the bench opening week.

Amazing to me how many people already know we're not a playoff team in early June.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 08:32 AM
I take it your a Losman fan, too. I tend to agree to some extent, but I can see Vincent being very effective in this new defensive scheme. I think he needs to get the start in week one, and we'll take it from there. If he falters, or worse yet, we falter, then you can think about changes, but it would be very unwise to have him on the bench opening week.

Amazing to me how many people already know we're not a playoff team in early June.

I guarantee we will not make the playoffs. Anyone who can look at our off-season moves and think we did enough to make a 5-11 team a playoff team is just not paying attention.

Now we're going to be running a cover 2 with 2 rookie safeties? Yeah, Marv is gonna fix the pass defense :rolleyes:.

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2006, 08:33 AM

Nice try.

Logical fallacy, but a nice try. :D

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 08:36 AM

S is not QB.

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
And Kelly Holcomb is not Troy Vincent.

ICE74129
06-19-2006, 08:53 AM

Exactly, same with Whitner, and the rest. This is the year to do it. Same with JP.

ICE74129
06-19-2006, 08:54 AM

I can say 100% right now we aren't a playoff team. Fans need to start getting this thing called REALITY.

the last 6 years coupled with what little we did this offseason = no playoffs

jamze132
06-19-2006, 09:10 AM
In reality, the writer of the article is probably right. Unless Vincent is injured during camp, chances are that he will be starting in New England. But with his age, he may struggle back there. If he is, than what sense would it make to not play Simpson? Simpson will be playing here for a few years while this is more than likely Vincent's last year. Might as well get Simpson a jump start. It will payoff for everyone next year if he plays and gets better asw much as he can this year.

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I think we upgraded our secondary by letting Milloy go and bringing in Whitner even as a rookie. Rookies, especially on defense, these days seem to be getting a lot more talented and come into the league hungrier and ready to work at things. I fully expect Clements to bounce back with a good season, and Terrence McGee is ready to be a star on this team. The only question in my mind is Vincent. Yes he led the team in INT's, but I think he has lost at least 1 step. His leadership qualities are second to none, but his on the field play last year was less than insipring. His tackling was dreadful at times last year. I think we should start Vincent for at least 4 weeks and see how things are going, but if we go 0-4 then we put Simpson in and sit back and have fun watching our future safties lay the wood on Chambers and the rest of those convicts.

Meathead
06-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I can say 100% right now we aren't a playoff team.
are you sure youve been watching american football the last few years

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Right now every team is a playoff team. How can anyone say in June that us or anyone else is not a playoff team? Nobody knows that. Ask the Chicago Bears of last year about that. I sure as hell didn't expect the Bears led by Kyle Orton to make the playoffs, so who's to say that the Bills led by J.P. Losman can't make the playoffs?

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I think we upgraded our secondary by letting Milloy go and bringing in Whitner even as a rookie. Rookies, especially on defense, these days seem to be getting a lot more talented and come into the league hungrier and ready to work at things. I fully expect Clements to bounce back with a good season, and Terrence McGee is ready to be a star on this team. The only question in my mind is Vincent. Yes he led the team in INT's, but I think he has lost at least 1 step. His leadership qualities are second to none, but his on the field play last year was less than insipring. His tackling was dreadful at times last year. I think we should start Vincent for at least 4 weeks and see how things are going, but if we go 0-4 then we put Simpson in and sit back and have fun watching our future safties lay the wood on Chambers and the rest of those convicts.

remember McGee's first season as a CB? He was a great KR the second he joined our team, but he really struggled in coverage for most of his first season. And we're talking about starting 2 rookies at safety. There's a good chance they'll both be good players, but not without taking their lumps first.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Right now every team is a playoff team. How can anyone say in June that us or anyone else is not a playoff team? Nobody knows that. Ask the Chicago Bears of last year about that. I sure as hell didn't expect the Bears led by Kyle Orton to make the playoffs, so who's to say that the Bills led by J.P. Losman can't make the playoffs?

You're kidding, right?

It's not just JP. It's starting two rookies at safety, a questionable DL, our biggest playmaker on D coming off a very serious injury, an improved but still questionable OL, no proven #1 receiver, Josh Reed as our only possession receiver, new systems on both sides of the ball, a "star" RB who apparently doesn't give a damn about learning the new system, and starting the season with 3 division games (2 on the road) while the players are learning the system. Oh, and a rookie GM and a coach with a losing record in the NFL.

But, we can make the playoffs :rolleyes:

When people are talking about how Sam Aiken needs to step up and Martin Nance could be an asset to the team, we're in deep ****.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
No one can say for certain how things will go. A few lucky bounces and some better effort and we might have made .500 last year. It isn't like we we're blown out every game.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 12:05 PM
No one can say for certain how things will go. A few lucky bounces and some better effort and we might have made .500 last year. It isn't like we we're blown out every game.
um, what team did you watch last year? In 2005, the Bills had 6 double digit losses, including 35-7 (NE), 38-17 (Oak), 48-10 (SD) and 19-3 (TB). In addition to that, they blew a 21-point lead against the Fish and lost to NO and NY Jets, both of whom finished in the bottom 5 of the league.

We were NOT a few lucky bounces from .500 last year. We were at least 4 defensive starters, an OL and a QB away from .500 last year.

Think before you type.

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-19-2006, 12:12 PM
We are not going to start two rookie safties at the beginning of the season, and you will have a hard time changing my mind that Whitner is an upgrade over Milloy. Lee Evans can be a #1 guy without a doubt in my mind, and if J.P. starts we all know they have chemistry together. J.P. also has chemistry with Reed, and Parrish. Has anyone heard anything besides good things about Martin Nance out of mini camp becuase I haven't. Getting Spikes back even at 80% is better than a lot of linebackers in the NFL. Our D-line I can't argue with you about that is a question mark without doubt. Our O-Line has a ton of potential now which is just so weird to say, but nobody can argue that, and Willis should benefit greatly from it. If Willis doesn't get at least 1,400 yards this year I will be very surprised. Yes our schedule blows at the beginning, but the rest of the schedule isn't as bad so we absolutely have a chance at the playoffs until our record says different.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
We are not going to start two rookie safties at the beginning of the season, and you will have a hard time changing my mind that Whitner is an upgrade over Milloy. Lee Evans can be a #1 guy without a doubt in my mind, and if J.P. starts we all know they have chemistry together. J.P. also has chemistry with Reed, and Parrish. Has anyone heard anything besides good things about Martin Nance out of mini camp becuase I haven't. Getting Spikes back even at 80% is better than a lot of linebackers in the NFL. Our D-line I can't argue with you about that is a question mark without doubt. Our O-Line has a ton of potential now which is just so weird to say, but nobody can argue that, and Willis should benefit greatly from it. If Willis doesn't get at least 1,400 yards this year I will be very surprised. Yes our schedule blows at the beginning, but the rest of the schedule isn't as bad so we absolutely have a chance at the playoffs until our record says different.

In a season, Whitner will be an upgrade over Milloy. If we're lucky, maybe in half a season. But don't expect him to come right out and do well- he will struggle. I'm not saying he's a bad player and I don't want to get into the whole draft argument for the 9 millionth time- I'm just saying that it takes time to adjust to the NFL.

Lee Evans might be able to be a #1, but I'm always leery of Peerless Price syndrome so I'm not sold yet. And Evans will struggle if Holcomb is the QB. I've only heard good things about Nance, too, but remember- he's a UFA. That means 32 teams passed on him 7 times each. If he steps in and contributes, that would be great, and it does happen from time to time (Jason Peters). But to expect him to contribute is hopelessly optimistic.

The OL is improved- there is no doubt about that. But it may not have improved enough, and the OL is a unit that usually takes time to gel. And it will only help McGahee if McGahee helps himself- so far his effort has been a huge disappointment.

And the schedule is working against us. Those easier late-season games won't make a damn bit of difference if we start 0-3 with 3 division losses. Given that we have new systems on both sides of the ball, and somewhere between 2-4 rookies seeing heavy action on D, the 0-3 start is entirely possible.

The players should believe that they have a shot at the playoffs, and they should play like it until our record says different. But as fans, it's just naive to think this team is talented enough to go to the playoffs.

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Nance most certainly could contribute in the red zone at least. With his height he could grab a couple TD's at least. I understand we have new players and new systems, but what you do not understand is that every single team in the NFL has a chance at the playoffs in mid June. There is just no way to argue against that.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Nance most certainly could contribute in the red zone at least. With his height he could grab a couple TD's at least. I understand we have new players and new systems, but what you do not understand is that every single team in the NFL has a chance at the playoffs in mid June. There is just no way to argue against that.

yeah, just like every single person who buys a lotto ticket has a chance to win. Even that's a bad analogy because everyone who has a lotto ticket has an equal chance.

To think every NFL team has an equal shot at making the playoffs is just ridiculous. Yes, playoffs are technically possible for the Bills, but a team has to do certain things in order to make the playoffs. It is naive to look at the state of this team and think it's capable of doing those things. I can understand the hope- I hope the Bills make the playoffs too- but I don't actually think it's going to happen.

ParanoidAndroid
06-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Did anyone see the comment at the end? Is it common knowledge, that Marv wanted Williams in the 4th but Modrak wanted Simpson and Williams was still there in the 5th? Was this news that I missed or does this guy have some inside knowledge of the Bills draft room?

RockStar36
06-19-2006, 01:41 PM

Now wait just a flippin second. Isn't this the exact argument the Holcomb lovers fought against and are still fighting against?

YardRat
06-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Nice try.

Logical fallacy, but a nice try. :D

:D

Logical flaccidity is a myth.

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Did anyone see the comment at the end? Is it common knowledge, that Marv wanted Williams in the 4th but Modrak wanted Simpson and Williams was still there in the 5th? Was this news that I missed or does this guy have some inside knowledge of the Bills draft room?

I think it was discussed in the days after the draft.

Don't Panic
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Anyone who says that anything is 100% about the upcoming NFL season needs to get off this computer and move to Vegas. If you're so sure, then you're wasting quite a bit of time hanging around here!

Thinking that the Bills have a chance to be in the playoffs this year isn't being a homer, it's understanding that the possibility exists. Anyone who cannot see the potential of this defense and the potential of our running game is too narrow-minded or has not been following the game long enough. I don't think there's many optimists in here who would say we are on our way to the playoffs, but what they would say is that a legitimate chance exists for us to make it. This is the NFL... have any of you seen some of the teams that have come out of nowhere in the last 5 years and snuck into the playoffs? More than in any other sport, the possibility exists for a team to create chemistry and make some noise over a 16 week season. The Bills have to be considered one of the teams with the best chance to "overacheive" this year, and that alone warrants the possibility of us making the playoffs.

BillsFever21
06-19-2006, 04:31 PM

Marv Levy taking players too early? No it couldn't be.

Good thing we have Modrak to slap some sense into Marv. We would've taken Williams a round early and lost out on Simpson. Instead we have both.

ParanoidAndroid
06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I think it was discussed in the days after the draft.

Thank you for filling me in and not being a sarcastic poopie face.

Bill Brasky
06-19-2006, 04:53 PM

ya. that worked well with jp losman

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Thank you for filling me in and not being a sarcastic poopie face.

No problem.

Here is more proof.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=98859

patmoran2006
06-20-2006, 11:37 AM

I mostly disagree, yet I do understand your point.

Just because your team is apparently going nowhere doesnt mean you should start a rookie because he's a rookie and he has to learn. In this case, I agree with the article. I'd start Vincent, gradually play Simpson more as the season goes on and maybe the the end of the season Simpson is starting. But I think he'd be better served earlier on watching and learning from Vincent.

Sometimes if a rookie is truly not ready, especially at a skilled positon, IMO starting him from day one can do more harm than good. If he looks lost and gets burned repeatedly, the loss of confidence in his head can impede his ability to make plays and learn the defense. I would definitely play Simpson and given the probability of being out of playoff contention by week 10-11, I'd start him towards the end, after he's learned a lot more; but I wouldn't start him in week one.

YardRat
06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Sarcasm is a wonderful thing :D

patmoran2006
06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Ahh I get it now.. Forgive me, I have a head cold!
Well, those ARE my views on Simpson regardless.

Dont drink the water
06-21-2006, 08:47 AM
more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/06/vincent-simpson-bills190606.html)
Please warn us before posting "news" from realfootball365.com - include site before link. Some people have no control over browser being preconfigured by work and can not see site link points to.