PDA

View Full Version : 2006 AFCe preview Buffalo Bills, great read!

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I am shocked at how good this is & it's from a Jets site:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_article?short_name=news&article_id=739

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Well at least it ended on a positive note I guess. I disagree with our LB depth. I think that is a pretty strong area for us. I think we improved as a whole, but there is a lot of youth so by mid season we should start to see a better team on the field.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Well at least it ended on a positive note I guess. I disagree with our LB depth. I think that is a pretty strong area for us. I think we improved as a whole, but there is a lot of youth so by mid season we should start to see a better team on the field.

I think he wrote it before we got Watson.

He also didn't mention Everrett.

But I don't understand this guy's conclusion. He went through and basically trashed every part of the team except the LB's and the DB's, then said that we might be able to be a winning team again. Last time I checked, LB's and DB's don't win football games by themselves.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 12:39 PM

But I don't understand this guy's conclusion. He went through and basically trashed every part of the team except the LB's and the DB's, then said that we might be able to be a winning team again. Last time I checked, LB's and DB's don't win football games by themselves.

We'll if you recall when we had drew and his fumbling problems, they didn't hurt either.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
We'll if you recall when we had drew and his fumbling problems, they didn't hurt either.

what exactly is the correlation between Bledsoe's fumbling problems and this guy saying the Bills only have quality at two positions?

No team is flawless- when we had Bledsoe, there were some other things going for this team- ie, No. 2 overall D that created tons of turnovers. I just don't understand how the guy can think we're lacking in every position except 2 but still say we might have a winning season. It seams counterintuitive.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
what exactly is the correlation between Bledsoe's fumbling problems and this guy saying the Bills only have quality at two positions?

No team is flawless- when we had Bledsoe, there were some other things going for this team- ie, No. 2 overall D that created tons of turnovers. I just don't understand how the guy can think we're lacking in every position except 2 but still say we might have a winning season. It seams counterintuitive.

What I think he was trying to say is we had some good people at mutliple positions and with the new coaching schemes and some talent infusion, we could improve to above .500. That is possible, however unlikely you feel about it.

ICE74129
06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I dont' see an issue with the article. At some point fans need to understand....We do suck. This is a crap team and has been a crap team for about 7 years now.

We finished 5-11 because we deserved it. Until this team proves ON THE FIELD anything different, we suck and deserve to hear we suck because its true.

Now its up to the bills to do something about it.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 01:12 PM
What I think he was trying to say is we had some good people at mutliple positions and with the new coaching schemes and some talent infusion, we could improve to above .500. That is possible, however unlikely you feel about it.

Go back and re-read the article- that wasn't what he said. He liked our DB's and LB's and he hated on the rest of the team. He didn't say anything about any "talent infusion" except at DB, and he said they were a strength in previous years.

His conclusion doesn't follow what he wrote.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I dont' see an issue with the article. At some point fans need to understand....We do suck. This is a crap team and has been a crap team for about 7 years now.

We finished 5-11 because we deserved it. Until this team proves ON THE FIELD anything different, we suck and deserve to hear we suck because its true.

Word, OP can find an issue with a boat load of gold showing up on his lawn.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 01:23 PM

oh I agree with the majority of what he said. What I don't agree with is how he mentioned all the problems our team had, then still said we can be a winning team. It doesn't make any sense.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
oh I agree with the majority of what he said. What I don't agree with is how he mentioned all the problems our team had, then still said we can be a winning team. It doesn't make any sense.

Neither did TD being here more than a few seasons or RW still owning the team but we'll see.

feelthepain
06-19-2006, 01:51 PM

It didn't seem like he trashed the Bills at all. He said the Bills have question on the O to answer especially the line, but every team has questions answer on some aspect of their team. I think it was a good read and a fair report. The comment from Marv about Jim Kelly was to motivate IMO. For a QB to live up to what Jim Kelly did is a lot to expect, so I think Marv just wants to light a fire.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
It didn't seem like he trashed the Bills at all. He said the Bills have question on the O to answer especially the line, but every team has questions answer on some aspect of their team. I think it was a good read and a fair report. The comment from Marv about Jim Kelly was to motivate IMO. For a QB to live up to what Jim Kelly did is a lot to expect, so I think Marv just wants to light a fire.

Don't we have a future hall of famer on the roster? Oh wait that's wishful dreamiing.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 01:58 PM

maybe "trashed" was too strong a word. But he had nothing good to say about the offense, and most of the good stuff he said about the defense had qualifiers. Basically he liked 2 positions on the team- LB and DB. To me, that doesnt' seem like enough to predict a winning season.

John Doe
06-19-2006, 03:09 PM
The article is a typical cursory look at the Bills.

He did not even mention special teams.

He is correct though about the prospects for this year - it is entirely possible for the Bills to have a winning season.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
The article is a typical cursory look at the Bills.

He did not even mention special teams.

He is correct though about the prospects for this year - it is entirely possible for the Bills to have a winning season.

didn't we already have this conversation? It is entirely possible for the Bills to have a winning conversation IF...

IF rookies can come in and contribute on D AND
IF players like Tim Anderson, Josh Reed and Peerless Price who have done nothing suddenly start contributing AND
IF the OL plays above their level AND
IF McGahee plays well despite lack of effort in the off-season AND
IF our coach is better than his NFL coaching record indicates AND
IF Spikes comes back from his injury AND
IF JP or Holcomb play better than they have in the past AND
IF the offense can learn a new system before digging themselves in a hole AND
IF the defense can learn a new system before digging themselves in a hole AND
IF Marv's unorthodox draft turns out to be as good as you said it is.

I suppose all those things could happen, but you're more likely to win the lottery while simultaneously being struck by lightning.

Don't Panic
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Op... IF all of those things happen, I'll be sitting next to you at a home playoff game!

feelthepain
06-19-2006, 03:58 PM
maybe "trashed" was too strong a word. But he had nothing good to say about the offense, and most of the good stuff he said about the defense had qualifiers. Basically he liked 2 positions on the team- LB and DB. To me, that doesnt' seem like enough to predict a winning season.

Well lets be fair, no one had anything good to say about the fins following the 2004 season. It's just the way it is. I think the Bills have a lot to prove before anyone goes out on a limb. Plus you know the O will struggle early because everything is new, and since the D is switching to the Tampa cover 2, they might struggle early too. It's going to be a while brfore the Bills get everything in order and can compete week in and week out. By the end of the season the Bills should be in shape to compete on both sides of the ball, If Juron knows what he's doing and the players buy it.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Op... IF all of those things happen, I'll be sitting next to you at a home playoff game!
well I agree with you there, and I hope all of them do happen. But I don't want to get my hopes up just to get disappointed again.

ublinkwescore
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM

Teams in today's NFL can be a big surprise can't they?

I would be surprised as hell if we were a winning team this year, but what I think the guy meant that after some of our young guys got some experience, we'll start to be more competitive.

ublinkwescore
06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
didn't we already have this conversation? It is entirely possible for the Bills to have a winning conversation IF...

IF rookies can come in and contribute on D AND
IF players like Tim Anderson, Josh Reed and Peerless Price who have done nothing suddenly start contributing AND
IF the OL plays above their level AND
IF McGahee plays well despite lack of effort in the off-season AND
IF our coach is better than his NFL coaching record indicates AND
IF Spikes comes back from his injury AND
IF JP or Holcomb play better than they have in the past AND
IF the offense can learn a new system before digging themselves in a hole AND
IF the defense can learn a new system before digging themselves in a hole AND
IF Marv's unorthodox draft turns out to be as good as you said it is.

I suppose all those things could happen, but you're more likely to win the lottery while simultaneously being struck by lightning.

***** MAN RETURNS!!!

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 05:08 PM
***** MAN RETURNS!!!

tell me what I said that was incorrect. Stating facts does not constitute *****ing just because some people don't want to hear them.

ublinkwescore
06-19-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not saying you're not stating any facts, but I do seriously doubt that not one of those areas have been improved.

Tim Anderson probably won't be on the field enough to hurt us other than special teams or on goal line situations.

Our O line did get some new people - try giving them the benefit of the doubt - you may not be let down.

JP has shown flashes - you can't deny this - I think you'll notice it's coincided with what the OL in front of him has done. I don't think I need to quote anyone on here by saying - NO QB IN THE LEAGUE WOULD HAVE LOOKED GOOD BEHIND OUR LINE - but for you, I will.

Spikes will come back from his injury - he may not be in probowl form right off the bat, but I think Spikes in non probowl form can still be a dangerous entity to have on the field - he is the heart and soul of our D - no one can doubt this.

Some of our rookies will contribute - probably not all of them, and probably one right off the bat if we're lucky (I'd guess this would be Whitner).

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 05:40 PM
You're dead wrong about Tim Anderson. DT is a position that receives heavy rotation, and a lot of people have suggested that Tripplett and McCargo play the same position, meaning they may not be on the field together. Anderson will see plenty of playing time.

The OL has improved- it's just a matter of whether it's improved enough.

JP has all the physical tools but I'm starting to doubt if he has the mental capacity for the NFL's speed.

Spikes is as tough as they come, but that doesn't make his injury less severe.

I'm sure some of those things will happen. I'm sure Marv wasn't wrong about everything. It's a matter of whether or not enough of those things will happen to turn a 5-11 team into a competitive one.

ublinkwescore
06-19-2006, 05:51 PM
You're dead wrong about Tim Anderson. DT is a position that receives heavy rotation, and a lot of people have suggested that Tripplett and McCargo play the same position, meaning they may not be on the field together. Anderson will see plenty of playing time.

The OL has improved- it's just a matter of whether it's improved enough.

JP has all the physical tools but I'm starting to doubt if he has the mental capacity for the NFL's speed.

Spikes is as tough as they come, but that doesn't make his injury less severe.

I'm sure some of those things will happen. I'm sure Marv wasn't wrong about everything. It's a matter of whether or not enough of those things will happen to turn a 5-11 team into a competitive one.

Didn't Sam Cowart suffer the same injury in Gregg Williams' first game with us?

Cowart came back, and was actually at one point starting to look like a probowl linebacker again - until he got hurt again - Cowart I think is a lot more fragile than Spikes though.

If Anderson does see the field, hopefully McCargo and Triplett can do enough to allow him to be effective.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Didn't Sam Cowart suffer the same injury in Gregg Williams' first game with us?

Cowart came back, and was actually at one point starting to look like a probowl linebacker again - until he got hurt again - Cowart I think is a lot more fragile than Spikes though.

If Anderson does see the field, hopefully McCargo and Triplett can do enough to allow him to be effective.

I didn't pay much attention to Cowart after he left Buffalo, but from what I heard he never regained his full performance.

DT still makes me nervous. We have one true starter in Tripplett, and maybe 2 if McCargo turns out to be as good as Marv thinks he is. Beyond that, we're in trouble.

jamze132
06-20-2006, 06:13 AM
In order for the Bills to succeed, we need to establish an Offensive line. It doesn't matter if your entire defense makes the Pro Bowl, without five guys to protect the QB, open up passing lanes, and make holes for the RB, you will not succeed in the NFL. With a good O-line, you can win a Super Bowl with an average QB. it has been done in the past and will be done again.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I think FTP has made a lot of sense in his post on this thread.

This is a team coming off of a bad season, so it shouldn't expect to get a lot of positive attention or credit. And, with a new offense and a new defensive scheme no one, other than maybe the coaches (and at this point maybe not even them!), has any idea what this team is going to look like at the beginning of the season.

There are a ton of question-marks about this team that have to be answered. But, as has been pointed out, not ALL of the answers are going to be negative (just like, as I have pointed out in previous posts, we can't expect ALL of the answers to be positive). But, with a new coach, new offense, new defense and a lot of new players, as FTP pointed out, this team is a lot like Miami was before last season. We know that they have some good players, we know that they have a lot of questions that need to be answered, and we know--or should know--that we have no idea how this team is going to turn out at this stage of the game.

Indeed, because there are going to be so many young players on this team--and playing critical roles on this team--we may not get a real sense of how good this team is until the second half of the season (what happened with Miami last season, they started to come on in the second half) or what the immediate future is going to look like for this team until the very end of the season. This team could fall flat on its face or shock us all by making a late run at a playoff spot--but we have no idea what it is going to do right now!

We're going to have to wait to see what happens. And, I know that drives a lot of people crazy! But, that's what we're going to have to deal with this season with the team being reconstructed after last year's debacle. Look at this team as being a house that collapsed and has been (or is being) torn down to its foundation and is in the process of being rebuilt again. Unless you are the architect, developer or in charge of the contruction company there's no way of telling how it is going to or supposed to look when it is finished. And, there is no point in saying that it looks ugly and you can't live in it yet--no kidding! It's a work in progress that isn't finished yet!!! So, we're just going to have to wait to see how it looks as the work continues and starts to take shape--and it is not even at that point yet. So, I wouldn't put too much stock in what anyone who doesn't follow the team closely has to say about it yet because in all likelihood this team isn't even going to be set in terms of its personnel until the season begins.

KMA
06-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Yeah it did. But it seems that you picked up on the same thing that I did. The components don't match the conclusion.

KMA
06-20-2006, 08:35 AM
I didn't pay much attention to Cowart after he left Buffalo, but from what I heard he never regained his full performance.

DT still makes me nervous. We have one true starter in Tripplett, and maybe 2 if McCargo turns out to be as good as Marv thinks he is. Beyond that, we're in trouble.

Who says that Tripplett is a "true starter?"

Why didn't he start in Indy the last two seasons if that's true? He lost his job there as a starter.

KMA
06-20-2006, 08:36 AM
At one point he lost it to another player that no longer starts.

KMA
06-20-2006, 08:37 AM
In order for the Bills to succeed, we need to establish an Offensive line. It doesn't matter if your entire defense makes the Pro Bowl, without five guys to protect the QB, open up passing lanes, and make holes for the RB, you will not succeed in the NFL. With a good O-line, you can win a Super Bowl with an average QB. it has been done in the past and will be done again.

Not that our entire D will make the Pro Bowl. The only players that we have in early contention are Clements and Schobel. Not one other player, for one reason or another, qualifies barring some utterly unexpected and enormous improvement in play.

KMA
06-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Great sum up.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
At one point he lost it to another player that no longer starts.

Actually, he lost his job to Corey Simon when he was acquired from Philly. You remember Simon, former Pro Bowler.... After that, Tripplett was regular part of their DT rotation.