PDA

View Full Version : Undrafteds In Depth

MVP
06-19-2006, 12:33 PM
He's a cornerback that stands 6'1" and weighs 200 pounds, runs a sub-4.35 forty-time and played his college ball at a major program. On measurables alone, you would think Oklahoma's Eric Bassey would have been drafted this past spring by one of the NFL's 32 teams.
He wasn't. The problem for Bassey was during his time as a member of the Sooners secondary he couldn't stay on the field long enough to make a name for himself.
"He's a size and speed prospect," said Bills Assistant GM Tom Modrak. "He comes from a big program and has some cover skills. He played behind some real good players there."
After starting every game his redshirt freshman season as Oklahoma's strong safety he moved to his more natural position of cornerback as a sophomore, but sat behind Derrick Strait (NY Jets) on the depth chart.
He won the starting job his junior year and started the first nine games before he was replaced in the lineup at the end of the season. As a senior he struggled with a quadriceps injury that limited him to three starts.
Bassey, who was criticized at times for his work ethic while at Oklahoma, was determined to recover from his lingering injuries and prove he was still a lightning fast cornerback with rare physical skills at his college pro day.
"It was a 4.31," said Bassey of his 40-time. "Some guys had me at a 4.28 or 4.27. It's something I worked hard on to get myself back in football shape. I had a few injuries my senior season which kept me down for most of the year, but I just kept working hard rehabbing to get back to that speed."
And now Bassey is determined to prove he is totally committed to the game and prepared to make the most of the opportunity before him with the Bills.
"I'm just trying to fit in with the rest of the guys," said Bassey. "It's a tremendous opportunity. These are the greatest athletes in the world I'm watching and getting a chance to play with them. I'm loving it."
Bassey sees himself as a fit for defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's defensive scheme. With the need for 11 men to be in pursuit of the football, tackling is an important asset for cornerbacks out on the edge. Having played a full season of strong safety in college, logic would indicate that Bassey can tackle.
"I'm a big, physical corner," Bassey said. "I can run. Some of those factors are going to fit in this defense. You've got to be stout on the edge and come up for run support."
Bassey is mostly focused on improving, and he's using more than just the reps on the field to accomplish that.
"I just want to learn from some of these older guys like Terrence (McGee) and some of the other guys I have been watching," said Bassey. "Even Rashad (Baker) playing safety, I think he's one of the quicker and better safeties that I've seen. I'm just looking at their technique and seeing how I can better apply it to my technique. I'm watching extra tape and doing what it takes to improve as a player."
But the rookie free agent cornerback also has other interests aside from the game that he would like to make his profession. Bassey is a talented writer who over the past few years has written song lyrics, movie scripts and poetry.
Bassey, who had one of his poems published, has a wide range of subject matter.
"Basically it's whatever comes to me," said Bassey. "I like to write scripts, movie scripts and things like that. I've done a few of them. I did a horror film, an action film and I guess another would be a mystery. They're all narrative stories, some with fictional characters and some with real characters. It's just a hobby, something I like to do."
So have any Hollywood producers come calling?
"No," said Bassey. "I've talked to a few guys in college but I've never really pursued it."
For now Bassey would prefer to focus all of his energy on football, knowing there will always be time to write when his football career is over.
"I always believe if you're going to do something that you have to put 100 percent into it," he said. "Right now football is what I'm working on. This is what I'm going to do. I'm just trying to get on this Bills roster and help this team win the Super Bowl. Hopefully I can bring my athletic ability to this defense."
If so he'll have an awful lot to write about.
<!--#########################################################################B E G I N F O O T E R H E R E#########################################################################-->http://assets.buffalobills.com/images/spacer.gif

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3825

bigbub2352
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM
The one thing that may let this kid stick is if he can perform on special teams, there is no way he makes the roster this year but his size and speed and rawness allows him to be a project type player, Practice squad allows 8 and i think that is were he will be with that speed u can try and coach him, not many have that kinda 40 time and being the size of a NFL WR.

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 10:39 PM
We're talking about UDA's.

Either off-season is excrutiatingly boring, or this team is in worse shape than I thought.

jamze132
06-20-2006, 04:24 AM
Well Jason Peters was undrafted and that seemed to work out pretty well for everyone.

Bulldog
06-20-2006, 07:22 AM

Either off-season is excrutiatingly boring, or this team is in worse shape than I thought.

Either that, or this is a Bills message board and people actually enjoy talking about the players that are currently on the roster. Fathom that.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Sometimes they turn out (See Williams, Pat).

OpIv37
06-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Either that, or this is a Bills message board and people actually enjoy talking about the players that are currently on the roster. Fathom that.

and most likely won't be on the roster in 8 weeks. Every year there are all these stories in the media and threads on this board about UDA's that everyone is excited about, but then you never hear their names again after the 3rd preseason games. Apparently the term "camp fodder" doesn't mean anything.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
and most likely won't be on the roster in 8 weeks. Every year there are all these stories in the media and threads on this board about UDA's that everyone is excited about, but then you never hear their names again after the 3rd preseason games. Apparently the term "camp fodder" doesn't mean anything.

What separates this guy from the usual camp fodder is his size-speed ratio. He has unusual size for a guy that big--which is admittedly why the Bills are giving him a look--so, if he does show anything in TC, he might be worth keeping on the practice squad to see if he can develop. You can say that he's "camp fodder" because he will undoubtedly be gone if he can't stay healthy and doesn't show anything in TC, but his speed does make him a little bit more than that--or at least more than you're typical "camp fodder" in that he has a quality that might allow him to stick on the PS for a year. And, after that, who knows.

The Bills have had great success getting contributions from UDFAs: Peters, Greer, Baker, Cieslak and, if you want to count him, Leonard (also the kid who was their long-snapper before Schneck). And a couple of their UDFAs have gone on to play for other teams after being taken off of the Bills' PS: Ogilvey is still with the Ravens after getting a start at CB with them and Lawton is still on someone's roster (I forgot who he is with now). Which is why some of the better UDFAs have been interested in signing with the Bills in recent years--because they feel that they will get a chance to make the team. So, you can't count out a kid like Bassey just because he is was a UDFA: with his speed, if he can stay healthy and show the coaches something, he might be able to develop into a decent player--a nickle or dime back--with a year on the PS. Odds are that he won't make it, but history suggests that a kid with his kind of size and speed has a chance--let's see what he can make of it before we write him off.

TigerJ
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
I still think he's gone. At least he won't make the 53 man roster. I think there is a chance he makes the practice squad. He's just too raw to contribute this year. I don't think he's a risk to be signed from the PS because teams only do that for emmediate help and Bassey isn't going to help anyone this year. I think the best thing would be for the Bills to allocate him to NFL Europe next spring to get him a little seasoning. Then he might stick with the regular squad in 2007.

ShadowHawk7
06-20-2006, 02:55 PM
We've got a few decent FA backs in Thomas, Bethea, and this guy, but I can't see us keeping more than 5 CBs. Clements, McGee, Greer, King, Youboty are our 5 backs, and it's unlikely any of the 3 FA backs will be able to replace King or Youboty since they were recent draft picks.
PS potential though.

DraftBoy
06-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Pratice Squad name already just for his size and speed.