PDA

View Full Version : Bills get B- in 2001 draft.

Gunzlingr
06-19-2006, 03:30 PM
According to Peter King's MMQB:

8. Buffalo. Surprise, surprise. All you western New Yorkers who kicked Tom Donahoe on his way out the door should remember the weekend of April 21-22, 2001: Nate Clements (80 games, 80 starts at corner), Aaron Schobel (75 starts as a DE), Travis Henry (3,749 rushing yards with the Bills) and Jonas Jennings (52 starts at tackle before leaving as a free agent for the Niners). Not bad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/06/19/mmqb/1.html

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 03:38 PM
1 out of 5 ain't bad.

ParanoidAndroid
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Interesting.

I also look at where bill Polian got his O-linemen and that reinforces my opinion that you don't have to draft them early to get good ones. Diem and DeMulling on day 2 of the same draft...nice.

ICE74129
06-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Interesting.

I also look at where bill Polian got his O-linemen and that reinforces my opinion that you don't have to draft them early to get good ones. Diem and DeMulling on day 2 of the same draft...nice.

Its not WHERE you pick them, its WHO is picking them that counts

ParanoidAndroid
06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
1 out of 5 ain't bad.

hold on a second Op. Wait until 2003 gets reviewed.
1. McGahee
2. Kelsay
3. Crowell
4. McGee

Donahoe's biggest weakness in all these drafts was that he didn't draft enough O-linemen, and when he did, most of them were horrid.

Bling
06-19-2006, 04:19 PM
LOL

BillsFever21
06-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Some people let hate blind their reality of what is really going on.

They don't like Donahoe so they just automatically say he didn't bring in any good players and all of his drafts suck.

Donahoe had some good drafts here and also brought in some important FA's. He couldn't find the right coach and that was his downfall in Buffalo.

Most of these guys will sit here and talk about all the great talent we have on our team. Donahoe was the guy who brought these players in.

So make up your mind. If Donahoe didn't bring in any good players then how could we have all these great players some of you say we have? If Donahoe didn't bring in any good players then I guess these guys suck.

People just can't think for themselves. Donahoe had to gut this entire team and within a couple years he built the roster back up to be competitive and challenge for a playoff spot. He also found a good amount of talented players out of the draft. More then the majority of the teams in the NFL have over that 5 year span.

Had he been able to find a good coach this would've been a playoff team. He couldn't and that's where he failed. Give the guy credit for the players he brought in though. He did a good job in that area.

The_Philster
06-19-2006, 04:55 PM
:clap: Agreed Feve...as far as bringing in talent, he did a good job. His coach-hiring and PR were the problems he had. I attribute that to fear. He was afraid to hire a strong coach because the last strong coach he worked with is still in Pittsburgh

OpIv37
06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Some people let hate blind their reality of what is really going on.

They don't like Donahoe so they just automatically say he didn't bring in any good players and all of his drafts suck.

Donahoe had some good drafts here and also brought in some important FA's. He couldn't find the right coach and that was his downfall in Buffalo.

Most of these guys will sit here and talk about all the great talent we have on our team. Donahoe was the guy who brought these players in.

So make up your mind. If Donahoe didn't bring in any good players then how could we have all these great players some of you say we have? If Donahoe didn't bring in any good players then I guess these guys suck.

People just can't think for themselves. Donahoe had to gut this entire team and within a couple years he built the roster back up to be competitive and challenge for a playoff spot. He also found a good amount of talented players out of the draft. More then the majority of the teams in the NFL have over that 5 year span.

Had he been able to find a good coach this would've been a playoff team. He couldn't and that's where he failed. Give the guy credit for the players he brought in though. He did a good job in that area.

Question: If Donahoe brought in so much talent, where the hell is it now? He had the last five drafts. It was pretty clear that this team lacked talent last year, particularly on the DL and the OL. Now Marv has to find a whole bunch of young guys to fill holes and we may end up with 4 rookies starting on D at some point this season.

Donahoe had his moments in the draft, but overall his drafting was pretty bad.

DynaPaul
06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
He brought in good players at the skill positions and had a knack for marketing. I don't think anyone doubts those strengths.

BUT he never properly addressed the needs of our lines, the foundations upon which any great NFL team is built. He had a penchant for hiring coaches who served as his lackeys rather than independent people who had full control over the players they were given (a problem he had with Cowher in Pittsburgh). He also had a really huge ego and a lack of respect for the fans which was evident toward the end of his tenure.

To me those negatives outweighed the positives. Look, as a GM he is supposed to get good players in here. That's what he's paid to do. But part of that is addressing ALL of the needs of the team including the lines and no, hiring some scrubs and cast offs from other teams isn't what I'd consider addressing the problem. Also, it is never acceptable to belittle the fans. We are the ones paying good money for the merchandise and game tickets. To tell us to not "bother wasting the postage", ordering security to confiscate signs, and just overall being a pretentious dick-head aren't going to go over well with fans in ANY city.

I don't see why we need to ruminate on the positives of Donahoe's reign and conveniently forget the reasons why he got fired in the first place.

Stewie
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Its not WHERE you pick them, its WHO is picking them that counts

Waaait just a second. This whole offseason you've been *****ing that they picked whitner too high. Now it's not where you pick them?

What will it be in another month?

John Doe
06-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Donohue's downfall was his spectacular blunders. He did have some nice drafts, 2003 in particular.

G. Host
06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Bills drafting problems have to do with coaches not using the good players Donahoe did draft well.

RockStar36
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
He had a few good draft picks, but I wouldn't say he every really had a great draft. He had an eye for talent but lacked in picking players that would effectively build a solid team.

I also think that when it came to free agency he went after big names to sell tickets.

The_Philster
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
He had a few good draft picks, but I wouldn't say he every really had a great draft. He had an eye for talent but lacked in picking players that would effectively build a solid team.

I also think that when it came to free agency he went after big names to sell tickets.
2001 was pretty good...2002 was awful :ill:

G. Host
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM

He definitely was better with draft and trading players than free agency and trading for players.

RockStar36
06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>2001 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2001)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=left>Nate Clements</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>46</TD><TD align=left>Aaron Schobel</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Texas Christian</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>58</TD><TD align=left>Travis Henry</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Tennessee</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>76</TD><TD align=left>Ron Edwards</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Texas A&M</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>95</TD><TD align=left>Jonas Jennings</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Georgia</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>110</TD><TD align=left>Brandon Spoon</TD><TD align=left>MLB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>144</TD><TD align=left>Marques Sullivan</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>178</TD><TD align=left>Tony Driver</TD><TD align=left>FS</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>195</TD><TD align=left>Dan O'Leary</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>196</TD><TD align=left>Jimmy Williams</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Vanderbilt</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>214</TD><TD align=left>Reggie Germany</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>238</TD><TD align=left>Tyrone Robertson</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Hinds CC</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

RockStar36
06-19-2006, 07:42 PM
When you look at the whole picture and not just the first 2-3 rounds....it doesn't really look that great.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-20-2006, 07:57 AM
In my opinion the problem with Donahoe's drafts was two-fold: other than McGee, he never found a second-day superstar and every great team needs to find at least one. plus a couple of additional solid players and none of the offensive linemen that he drafted, early or late, developed into anything more than average (Jennings) at best. He brought in some solid players at the top of his drafts, but the lack of depth in his drafts was not sufficient to make up for the gambles/failures that he had in the early rounds, despite the team finding some contributors in its UFAs. Hence, the failure of Mike Williams, the year that McGahee lost, and the slowness of JP Losman's development, along with the loss of Price, Jennings and Winfield to free agency, hurt the team a lot more than these things would have if the Bills had found some real gems in the later rounds. It's fine to look for your offensive linemen in the later rounds--the Pats and other teams have been successful doing that--but you've got to be very good at finding them there and you have to find and develop them, which Donahoe wasn't and didn't.

The Bills still might have been serious competitors thanks to the free agent talent that Donahoe brought in, but he picked very bad coaches--HC's who were too inexperienced to manage a roster with a lot of young talent that needed to learn and develop on the one hand and experienced veterans who didn't need to be taught so much as led and were eager to win immediately and unwilling to wait for the young guys to develop. A strong, highly respected, experienced coach and coaching staff might have been able to deal with that kind of mix on the roster, but neither of the HC's that Donahoe hired knew how to do that, let alone had the character or reputation required to do it successfully.

Donahoe's overall plan might have been successful--there was nothing wrong with the plan--but he had the wrong people in place to execute it and was unable to provide the team with the personnel that they would have needed to overcome their mistakes. At least, that's how I see it.

Levy also has what appears to be a solid plan. It remains to be seen if he has selected the right people to implement it and can get them the personnel that they will require to be successful. But, the one thing that he has that Donahoe and his people didn't is a reputation for being a HOF HC. As Tutan Reyes told the media, when Reyes first met Levy the first thing he said to Marv was, "You're a legend!" That will help, but Levy is still going to have to pick the right people and come up with the right personnel in order to make his plan work and for the Bills to become perennial winners again.

R. Rich
06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Bills drafting problems have to do with coaches not using the good players Donahoe did draft well.
I don't think it's that simple. True, the coaching has been suspect, but I've also seen fundamental breakdowns in the players. Can we blame that on the coaches? I'm hoping these guys go into the professional ranks as fundamentally sound players.

In my opinion, coaching has something to do w/ our woes, but it is NOT the sole culprit.

Michael82
06-20-2006, 12:56 PM
The problem with 2001, 2003 and all his other drafts is day 2. Donahoe does good on Day 1, but ****s the bed on Day 2. :ill:

2001:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>110</TD><TD align=left>Brandon Spoon</TD><TD align=left>MLB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>144</TD><TD align=left>Marques Sullivan</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>178</TD><TD align=left>Tony Driver</TD><TD align=left>FS</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>195</TD><TD align=left>Dan O'Leary</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>196</TD><TD align=left>Jimmy Williams</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Vanderbilt</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>214</TD><TD align=left>Reggie Germany</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>238</TD><TD align=left>Tyrone Robertson</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Hinds CC

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
-Half these players are OUT of the league. :ill:

2002:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>139</TD><TD align=left>Justin Bannan</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>176</TD><TD align=left>Kevin Thomas</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Nevada-Las Vegas</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>215</TD><TD align=left>Mike Pucillo</TD><TD align=left>C</TD><TD align=left>Auburn</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>249</TD><TD align=left>Rodney Wright</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Fresno State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>251</TD><TD align=left>Jarrett Ferguson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Virginia Tech</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>260</TD><TD align=left>Dominique Stevenson</TD><TD align=left>OLB</TD><TD align=left>Tennessee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- Kevin Thomas showed promise, but was injury prone. :(

2003:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>111</TD><TD align=left>Terrence McGee</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Northwestern State, La.</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>127</TD><TD align=left>Sam Aiken</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>151</TD><TD align=left>Ben Sobieski</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Iowa</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>187</TD><TD align=left>Lauvale Sape</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Utah</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>228</TD><TD align=left>Mario Haggan</TD><TD align=left>OLB</TD><TD align=left>Mississippi State

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></I>
-Terrence McGee was the only solid pickup I have seen him make on Day 2. But other than that, just depth players and crap.

2004:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>109</TD><TD align=left>Tim Euhus</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Oregon State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>207</TD><TD align=left>Dylan McFarland</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Montana</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>214</TD><TD align=left>Jonathan Smith</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Georgia Tech</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
:yawn:

2005:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>122</TD><TD align=left>Duke Preston</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=left>Eric King</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Wake Forest</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>197</TD><TD align=left>Justin Geisinger</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Vanderbilt</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>236</TD><TD align=left>Lionel Gates</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Louisville</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- Undecided right now. Preston, King and Gates could be sleepers.

Michael82
06-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Now if you wanna talk about his crappy draft...let's analyze 2002. That draft set this team back big time. :ill:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>2002 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2002)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>Mike Williams</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Texas</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>36</TD><TD align=left>Josh Reed</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Louisiana State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>61</TD><TD align=left>Ryan Denney</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Brigham Young</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>97</TD><TD align=left>Coy Wire</TD><TD align=left>SS</TD><TD align=left>Stanford</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>139</TD><TD align=left>Justin Bannan</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>176</TD><TD align=left>Kevin Thomas</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Nevada-Las Vegas</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>215</TD><TD align=left>Mike Pucillo</TD><TD align=left>C</TD><TD align=left>Auburn</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>249</TD><TD align=left>Rodney Wright</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Fresno State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>251</TD><TD align=left>Jarrett Ferguson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Virginia Tech</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>260</TD><TD align=left>Dominique Stevenson</TD><TD align=left>OLB</TD><TD align=left>Tennessee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

- Mike Williams was the biggest bust ever, literally. Josh Reed has been crap so far, Ryan Denney has not played up to his potential. Coy Wire? :ill: Justin Bannan...maybe he'll show his real form in Baltimore? :idunno: Kevin Thomas...always hurt, but showed promise. Mike Pukecillo. Biggest waste of space on the line. :ill: Rodney Wright? Who?!?! Jarrett Ferguson? :scratch: Dominique Stevenson was okay in special teams but only a depth player. :boring:

SABURZFAN
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>2001 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2001)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=left>Nate Clements</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>46</TD><TD align=left>Aaron Schobel</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Texas Christian</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>58</TD><TD align=left>Travis Henry</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Tennessee</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>76</TD><TD align=left>Ron Edwards</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Texas A&M</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>95</TD><TD align=left>Jonas Jennings</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Georgia</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>110</TD><TD align=left>Brandon Spoon</TD><TD align=left>MLB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>144</TD><TD align=left>Marques Sullivan</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>178</TD><TD align=left>Tony Driver</TD><TD align=left>FS</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>195</TD><TD align=left>Dan O'Leary</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>196</TD><TD align=left>Jimmy Williams</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Vanderbilt</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>214</TD><TD align=left>Reggie Germany</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>238</TD><TD align=left>Tyrone Robertson</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Hinds CC</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

spoon was never the same after the injury,sullivan was constantly in the doghouse,and robertson had a decent rookie season but couldn't stay out of trouble.that was Donna Ho's best draft by far.

SABURZFAN
06-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Now if you wanna talk about his crappy draft...let's analyze 2002. That draft set this team back big time. :ill:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>2002 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2002)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>Mike Williams</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Texas</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>36</TD><TD align=left>Josh Reed</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Louisiana State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>61</TD><TD align=left>Ryan Denney</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Brigham Young</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>97</TD><TD align=left>Coy Wire</TD><TD align=left>SS</TD><TD align=left>Stanford</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>139</TD><TD align=left>Justin Bannan</TD><TD align=left>DT</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>176</TD><TD align=left>Kevin Thomas</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Nevada-Las Vegas</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>215</TD><TD align=left>Mike Pucillo</TD><TD align=left>C</TD><TD align=left>Auburn</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>249</TD><TD align=left>Rodney Wright</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Fresno State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>251</TD><TD align=left>Jarrett Ferguson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Virginia Tech</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>260</TD><TD align=left>Dominique Stevenson</TD><TD align=left>OLB</TD><TD align=left>Tennessee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

- Mike Williams was the biggest bust ever, literally. Josh Reed has been crap so far, Ryan Denney has not played up to his potential. Coy Wire? :ill: Justin Bannan...maybe he'll show his real form in Baltimore? :idunno: Kevin Thomas...always hurt, but showed promise. Mike Pukecillo. Biggest waste of space on the line. :ill: Rodney Wright? Who?!?! Jarrett Ferguson? :scratch: Dominique Stevenson was okay in special teams but only a depth player. :boring:

kevin thomas was the best draft pick in that draft. :ill:

Michael82
06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
kevin thomas was the best draft pick in that draft. :ill:
yeah..... :puke:

RockStar36
06-20-2006, 04:54 PM
If 2001 was his best draft day than I think the argument for TD being a good GM just went out the window.

Meathead
06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
i graded the draft a b two months ago and i dont see a threat about me

G. Host
06-20-2006, 08:50 PM
[SIZE=2]- Mike Williams was the biggest bust ever, literally. Josh Reed has been crap so far, Ryan Denney has not played up to his potential. Coy Wire? :ill: Justin Bannan...maybe he'll show his real form in Baltimore? :idunno: Kevin Thomas...always hurt, but showed promise. Mike Pukecillo. Biggest waste of space on the line. :ill: Rodney Wright? Who?!?! Jarrett Ferguson? :scratch: Dominique Stevenson was okay in special teams but only a depth player. :boring:

Mike Williams may be biggest bust in first round pick size but problem was coaching and conditioning. He had some of the WORST OL coaches and Rusty was replaced by a joke of a conditioning coach. First round OL require investments in talent (i.e. Ruben Brown had good coaching to get him prepared). He was showing promise mauling on running plays. Maybe he will be better elsewhere.

Denney was a late bloomer due to his age and what you get is what you see. He still was able to cover WRs as a DE and not many can do that. I think he has potential in this defense.

Regarding Coy Wire I have heard you make him :ill: as well. Three head coaches so far have kept him so he is not as bad as you think. Lots of players have been cut before him.

Bannan was a great asset as a backup and from a player picked in that round that was what you expect. He was our best goal line OL man for a while. I think he will do OK in Baltimore.

Kevin Thomas had potential but his body could not handle playing with big boys.

It was not a bad draft, just one which ended up not as productive as it could have.

DynaPaul
06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Mike Williams may be biggest bust in first round pick size but problem was coaching and conditioning. He had some of the WORST OL coaches and Rusty was replaced by a joke of a conditioning coach. First round OL require investments in talent (i.e. Ruben Brown had good coaching to get him prepared). He was showing promise mauling on running plays. Maybe he will be better elsewhere.

Not likely. Williams' two biggest problems are that he's lazy and won't play with injuries. You can't coach those traits out of him. You'd think after Buffalo cut him he'd have a fire lit under his ass but he showed up in Jacksonville fatter than he's ever been.