PDA

View Full Version : this will be good draft for us to grab a RB

Tatonka
02-16-2003, 10:52 PM
i was thinking the other day.. our RB corp is getting a bit thin.. with bryson all but gone, and morris as the only true quality back up... at HB and FB, we should definately grab a RB in this draft.. three 4 names that come to mind that may well slip to the 3rd or 4th...

Brown from CU
Fargas from USC
Smith from Oregon
Mcgahee from the school of ugly injuries..

i think one or more of those guys will be a quality RB in the nfl.. smith is a good possibility.. and the prospect of Mcgahee going on IR next year but having him the following year.. i mean, the guy is a top 5 pick..

thoughts?

Bert102176
02-16-2003, 11:39 PM
I say we could probabl get Mcgahee in the 5th maybe 6th round.

Bert102176
02-16-2003, 11:39 PM
remember Thurman had a leg injury and we took a risk on him.

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 12:33 AM
well unfortunately, there are alot of draft "experts" saying that he will go in the 3-4th rounds.. and i tend to believe them.. for any team looking for a potential superstar, and dont have an immediate need for a starter, mcgahee is a good pick.. he could sit on ir for a year, not count as a roster spot, would be paid very low, with tons of incentives..

i would love for the bills to take him though.. just in case henry doesnt stop fumbling the ball and/or becomes a FA in a couple years and decides not to come back.... but in the case of an injury this upcoming year, mcgahee would be of no use.

mush69
02-17-2003, 06:27 AM
If we could pick up a couple of guys to bring into camp for a workout at RB via undrafted free agent then I say bring them to camp. Otherwise lets set our sights on bringing solid, injury free talents where we really need it.

Joe Burns is no slouch and at 5-9 215 can bring a package. Give him some reps this year and his quickness will come along. He sees the field well and finds the seems but just lacks the footwork to get there. I think that can be worked out and we'll have our Backup Rb for a year or two.

Thurmans leg problems was no where near what McGee's is and will be for a while. While it does pose an interesting situation I say Pick healthy and ready to play hard nosed football players in the draft.

BFBills
02-17-2003, 06:56 AM
ehem...does T. Henry ring a bell??

don137
02-17-2003, 07:00 AM
I believe McGehee injured his other knee in high school so he is on two bad knees. Whoever drafts him will have a very good RB in 2004 but who knows how long will it be before his next knee injury.

Sennsai
02-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Pre-injury, McGahee was a top 5 pick. Pre-injury he had a chance to be a VERY GOOD RB in the NFL with development. Now with the severity of his injury(even though he is rehabbing well) he will NEVER be the same quality of RB that he COULD HAVE BEEN. With that said, I say he will be an AVERAGE RB in the NFL at best. I would not take him on the first day and then maybe 5th round on. Why over pay for a guy that will likely do OK in the NFL?

List of guys who performed just as well after knee reconstruction:
Terry Allen( the guy was a freak with several rebuilt knees)

List of guys who haven't performed as well as pre- reconstruction:

KiJana Carter
Edgerrin James
Robert Edwards
Terrell Davis
Jamal Anderson
Keith Byars(college knee injury)
etc.. etc..

Sorry Willis, but :violin: Good luck

WG
02-17-2003, 09:37 AM
I agree w/ you T. If I had to guess however, I'd say that McGahee will go in the 3rd. He was way too good for some team being able to afford a gamble to not take a chance by then. Baltimore or somebody.

I wouldn't mind seeing us take a RB with our first or 2nd pick assuming that we fill our DT, DE, and LB needs in FAcy, which we should.

Originally posted by BFBills
ehem...does T. Henry ring a bell??

I hear ya BF, but it would be nice to have a burner RB. Henry's good, and may be great for a long time. But you've gotta remember, that if he is that great this year, he's gonna want enormous bucks when his contract comes up, what, in '05?

Good to have a "plan B."

Fatwhite02
02-17-2003, 03:21 PM
I agree that Mcgahee will be gone by the third round. I think the most intriguing two backs are Chris Brown and Onterrio Smith. I have watched Brown play two years in college (I attend CU) and he is a bruiser who doesn't lose yards often. He is a little bit of a straight up runner, I see him getting taken late second or early third. Onterrio Smith could be a sleaper and I personally would love to see him in a Bills Uniform. Not only, does he have a chance to break a long one everytime he touches the ball, he is an electric return man which we need because Rogers was a bust.

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Fatwhite02
I agree that Mcgahee will be gone by the third round. I think the most intriguing two backs are Chris Brown and Onterrio Smith. I have watched Brown play two years in college (I attend CU) and he is a bruiser who doesn't lose yards often. He is a little bit of a straight up runner, I see him getting taken late second or early third. Onterrio Smith could be a sleaper and I personally would love to see him in a Bills Uniform. Not only, does he have a chance to break a long one everytime he touches the ball, he is an electric return man which we need because Rogers was a bust.

i agree with those statements completely.. i would be happy with any of those rbs i listed, but Smith would probably be the most exciting. i think he would be a great change of pace back... fargas is a burner as well.

SoCalBillsFan
02-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Fargas! The guy has heart. But to be perfectly honest, my own opinion is he will be no more than a backup. Still, if he slips till late in the draft id love to have him He'll work hard and has some major wheels.

TigerJ
02-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Let's see. If TD can sign one linebacker and one DT, all we need to draft are a second linebacker, a free safety, another corner, (three guys that can cover really aren't enough in the NFL anymore), a tight end to replace Remiersma, a center/guard to enhance line depth, a WR to replace the likely departing Price, a fullback to replace the departing Centers (probable cut?) and now a running back to provide quality depth behind Travis Henry. Oh, and I remember someone saying we should draft a QB to develop behind Drew Bledsoe. All we need are nine draft choices. Of course rounds 5,6, and 7 are pretty much a crap shoot anyway. You never know if you're gonna find a player there or not, so we really can't count them. Do you suppose we could petition the NFL to award Buffalo an extra half dozen picks in rounds 1 through 4 to get what we need?

SoCalBillsFan
02-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Tiger, you think TD is gonna make only 2 FA acquasitions? A lot of those positions you listed can be addressed in Free agency

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 09:10 PM
obviously we will fill some of those needs you listed via FA bud.. who knows which ones though.. i am thinking WR will be FA, both LBs will be FA

SoCalBillsFan
02-17-2003, 09:18 PM
A DT will be FA too I hope.

Tatonka
02-17-2003, 09:22 PM
yeah.. i was just adding to the other list.. i was saying that i think we will additionally add a WR and 2nd LB through FA..

TigerJ
02-17-2003, 09:33 PM
I think we might pick up two really quality guys in free agency. It might be a LB and DT or two LBs. We might get a couple more guys with a good chance to contribute, maybe an interior offensive lineman. I don't think TD's going to be looking for a QB.
We might have a pretty versatile lineman on the roster already in Mike Houghton. TD may have signed a RB in Demond Parker who has as much quality as TD is likely to find after round four in the draft. I think this is a deeeep draft in receivers, and that's what I'd be inclined to look for in the latter rounds. I don't have a good feel for whether the draft or free agency is the best place to look for a TE. If Centers is cut, I find his game is very similar to the guy Buffalo drafted late last year as an undersized fullback, Jarrett Ferguson. He's a little shorter than Centers, but weighs close to the same. He's reputed to have excellent hands, was a very effective receiver out of the backfield in college, and had a good yards per carry stat running.

In summary, I think the Bills are likely to draft a linebacker or DT (depending on what they sign in free agency, a safety, a CB, a TE and WR. That's five guys. With the seventh round pick they could go just about anywhere, but it will be a guy who is a special teams ace in some capacity.

I'd be thrilled if Buffalo got two really good LBs in free agency AND a DT, but I'm trying to keep my expectations a little more modest.

Onterio Smith seems to be kind of a poor man's Barry Sanders. He has all kinds of potential. But I absolutely am looking first to fill the more obvious needs an I think he gets drafted by round three. We'll see. Fargas seems ordinary. Sultan McCullough is a guy who could tempt me in round seven just because he can flat out fly. He has never shown any shake and bake (like Sanders or O. Smith) but you gotta think that speed can let you do something with him.

colin
02-18-2003, 10:55 AM
We should get a little fast guy for our back up RB. That would really piss off opposing Ds, playing deep cover, getting creamed by big blocks and the block of Cheese, and then having a fast dude run around.

Part of why Garner is so good for Oakland is that he is never running into a stacked box, gives him time to make a cut and burn, and really bothers opposing Ds.

BillsNYC
02-18-2003, 11:41 AM
i say a lb, dt, and a wr come through fa...and a cb will be our round #2 pick, lb #3 pick, te #4

Ebenezer
02-18-2003, 11:45 AM
We only have 6 picks this year and we have holes at WR, TE, DL, LB and need depth at DB...guess what?? The Bills will not draft a RB this year unless something strange happens in the latter rounds.

DraftBoy
02-18-2003, 01:51 PM
I like Gerome Sapp, S out of ND boy can flat out hit

TigerJ
02-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Eb, you and I are on the same wavelength on this one. I'm waiting to see what this Demond Parker can do in preseason (free agent running back signed by Buffalo back in January). It seems to me as if he might fit the bill of what colin is hoping for.