PDA

View Full Version : Losman looking forward

Mitchy moo
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Heading into to the offseason following the 2005 campaign J.P. Losman needed some time to refresh himself mentally. He stepped away from the game that all but consumed his life for the better part of a calendar year and reconnected with family and friends.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3835

ICE74129
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
"But Losman is past that and does feel the competition that Jauron has created has only helped his standing in the locker room.
"This year people definitely respect that I'm competing," said Losman. "Everyone on this team is competing. Everyone respects that more because I myself respect that more too."

So do indy players resent the fact Payton never competed for his job and still doesn't? how about Palmer in Cinci, Favre in GB, Rothlesburger in Pitt...obviously I can go on here.

It seems to me the only ones in the NFL with a major problem is the Tom donahoe built Bills and the 'Me me me' Veterans he brought in.

Only in Buffalo has this issue made so much news. when Eli was annointed there was a little blip on the radar before Caughlin put a very quick end to it. our whole problem is weak Bills coaches that can't say 'He is the starter, deal with it'.

Mitchy moo
06-23-2006, 03:42 PM
"But Losman is past that and does feel the competition that Jauron has created has only helped his standing in the locker room.
"This year people definitely respect that I'm competing," said Losman. "Everyone on this team is competing. Everyone respects that more because I myself respect that more too."

So do indy players resent the fact Payton never competed for his job and still doesn't? how about Palmer in Cinci, Favre in GB, Rothlesburger in Pitt...obviously I can go on here.

It seems to me the only ones in the NFL with a major problem is the Tom donahoe built Bills and the 'Me me me' Veterans he brought in.

Only in Buffalo has this issue made so much news. when Eli was annointed there was a little blip on the radar before Caughlin put a very quick end to it. our whole problem is weak Bills coaches that can't say 'He is the starter, deal with it'.

In a nutshell w/ the old management crew, the tail wagged the dog. Not now, that will be the difference this year. Marv is too old & crabby to listen to people complain, he & Dick will squash dissenting member's coins very quickly.

ICE74129
06-23-2006, 03:49 PM
In a nutshell w/ the old management crew, the tail wagged the dog. Not now, that will be the difference this year. Marv is too old & crabby to listen to people complain, he & Dick will squash dissenting member's coins very quickly.

Then name losman the starter and stop the competition that we all know is Bull ****. its a dog and pony show for the vets and media. if DJ and Marv really had balls they would just say 'The job is losmans' and be done with it.

FlyingDutchman
06-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Palmer was a high draft pick, heisman winner, who eventually beat out Kitna in camp. Payton was the top QB in the draft and was given the reigns of a terrible team, and they couldnt have gotten any worse. All Rothlesberger did was take over for an injured Maddox and never lost a game. You could say youre never supposed to lose your job to injury, but come on. I wouldnt compare these guys to Losman.

patmoran2006
06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
JP aint being annoited ANYTHING if he was he'd be taken 80% of the reps in all the OTA and mini camps.

If he starts, he's going to EARN it.. It's a very simple concept, shouldn't be that hard to understand.

patmoran2006
06-23-2006, 04:02 PM
And some people need to quit over analyzing, thinking that we've already named JP the starter and we're keeping it a big secret.. like our division rivals are ****ting themselves worrying about who our starter really is.

ICE74129
06-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Palmer was a high draft pick, heisman winner, who eventually beat out Kitna in camp. Payton was the top QB in the draft and was given the reigns of a terrible team, and they couldnt have gotten any worse. All Rothlesberger did was take over for an injured Maddox and never lost a game. You could say youre never supposed to lose your job to injury, but come on. I wouldnt compare these guys to Losman.

Put losman on any of those teams with any of those coaches and see how quickly he becomes a great QB. Take ANY of those QB's and put them on the Bills of last year and see how quickly they fail.

Losman was going first round to either GB or Stl if we didn't take him, so bottom line he is a first round talent. first over all pick or 20 something doesn't matter.

ublinkwescore
06-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Put losman on any of those teams with any of those coaches and see how quickly he becomes a great QB. Take ANY of those QB's and put them on the Bills of last year and see how quickly they fail.

Losman was going first round to either GB or Stl if we didn't take him, so bottom line he is a first round talent. first over all pick or 20 something doesn't matter.

That was BEAUTIFUL.

I couldn't agree more. I've stated it a hundred times already - when Losman has had time from the O-line, he's looked absolutely brilliant - until the coaching staff changed modes and got away from what was working (see the Miami game).

He looked crappy most of the games he's played in because he didn't get time from the line in any more than three games - KC, Houston and Miami.

ICE74129
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
That was BEAUTIFUL.

I couldn't agree more. I've stated it a hundred times already - when Losman has had time from the O-line, he's looked absolutely brilliant - until the coaching staff changed modes and got away from what was working (see the Miami game).

He looked crappy most of the games he's played in because he didn't get time from the line in any more than three games - KC, Houston and Miami.

See I don't get why losman haters can't see that. Young QB in his first year starting on a crap team. Holcomb, Manning, Elway, Montana....it wouldn't matter, this TEAM SUCKED last year. The coaching sucked, the players sucked, the owner sucked, the GM sucked....the whole thing sucked.

But if you listen to a dummy or two, its all on losman and he won't amount to anything.

Switch it and put JP on the Steelers the last two years, they still win the superbowl last year. Rothlesburger here? Fans would be screaming 'another Tom Donahoe bust' By now.

Mudflap1
06-23-2006, 07:05 PM
And how do you know this?

Look, I like Losman, I'm all for him winning the starting job and being a good quarterback. I also agree that the Buffalo Bills as a team stunk up the joint last year.

However, I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, comparisions to Palmer, the Mannings, etc. are worthless. There IS a difference between a late first round pick and a #1 overall pick, or top 5 pick. Those guys get more slack because they are being paid more money. They are being paid more money because they are the top player taken out of the entire draft, which means they have the most potential and the highest skill. Being paid more money means the coaches and management tailoring the team around you more. The later you are taken, the less latitude you are given. That's life.

Pat's right, and he is saying the same thing I am. Losman wins the job based upon him being better than Holcomb or Nall. It's not a hard concept, and I have no problem with that.

You know who else I'm 99.9% sure probably agrees with this logic? J.P. Losman. That's right. If he wants to be respected (as this article talks about), he has to earn it. Sounds like he's doing better this year because of it.

Leave the kid alone and stop making excuses for him. If he's got it, he'll show us.

One final note, J.P. Losman and "brilliant" should not be used in the same sentence describing last season. Did he have moments where he showed potential and made good passes like he's capable of and what he's paid for? Yes. Was he brilliant? Not even close. Joe Montana was brilliant. Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Brett Favre, brilliant.

Stop coddling the kid and let him earn the job outright.

Jon

The_Philster
06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
One problem with that idea that the top draft picks are more talented and have more potential....there are plenty of players drafted high that didn't amount to anything.
Some examples
#1 overall
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1992</TD><TD align=left>Steve Emtman, dt
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1988</TD><TD align=left>Aundray Bruce, lb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1972</TD><TD align=left>Walt Patulski, dt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>#2 overall

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD align=left>Ryan Leaf, qb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1993</TD><TD align=left>Rick Mirer, qb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1990</TD><TD align=left>Blair Thomas, rb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1989</TD><TD align=left>Tony Manderich, ot</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Since they were drafted so high, they must've had HOF careers, right? :idunno:
The draft is a crap shoot...pure and simple. The only thing that drafting early gets you is more selection.

acehole
06-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Then name losman the starter and stop the competition that we all know is Bull ****. its a dog and pony show for the vets and media. if DJ and Marv really had balls they would just say 'The job is losmans' and be done with it.

I thinks they (coaches) know this....but want to wait to annouce it. Reason?
To keep him working hard and remain humble. Build his confidence......and give it to him by second pre-season....he still needs to set himself apart a bit....I don't think you can do it until we see him again in preseaon with his new toys in the new scheme.

My 2 cents...

ICE74129
06-23-2006, 08:05 PM
And how do you know this?

Look, I like Losman, I'm all for him winning the starting job and being a good quarterback. I also agree that the Buffalo Bills as a team stunk up the joint last year.

However, I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, comparisions to Palmer, the Mannings, etc. are worthless. There IS a difference between a late first round pick and a #1 overall pick, or top 5 pick. Those guys get more slack because they are being paid more money. They are being paid more money because they are the top player taken out of the entire draft, which means they have the most potential and the highest skill. Being paid more money means the coaches and management tailoring the team around you more. The later you are taken, the less latitude you are given. That's life.

Pat's right, and he is saying the same thing I am. Losman wins the job based upon him being better than Holcomb or Nall. It's not a hard concept, and I have no problem with that.

You know who else I'm 99.9% sure probably agrees with this logic? J.P. Losman. That's right. If he wants to be respected (as this article talks about), he has to earn it. Sounds like he's doing better this year because of it.

Leave the kid alone and stop making excuses for him. If he's got it, he'll show us.

One final note, J.P. Losman and "brilliant" should not be used in the same sentence describing last season. Did he have moments where he showed potential and made good passes like he's capable of and what he's paid for? Yes. Was he brilliant? Not even close. Joe Montana was brilliant. Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Brett Favre, brilliant.

Stop coddling the kid and let him earn the job outright.

Jon

First of all saying you agree with pat moron ends just about any discussion right there.

And Yes I KNOW that if losman were on the steelers and BR Was here things would be totally different for both QB's.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-23-2006, 08:32 PM
That was BEAUTIFUL.

Holy Crap I just thanked a Ublinkwescore post. a sure sighn of the apocolypse!

LifetimeBillsFan
06-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Personally, I will take JP Losman's word on this: if he feels that the coaches being hard on him and having to compete for the job has given him a different and better attitude and helped make him get better, then, as far as I'm concerned that's been a good thing because, whatever his potential, even he knows that he needed to get better and improve on his performance.

We all know that JP has all of the physical tools necessary to be a very good NFL QB. But, we all also know that what he needs to do to achieve that is to improve in other areas. If Losman shows the coaches, himself and his teammates that he has done that enough to beat out the other two QBs for the starting QB job, when the hitting starts and he is facing hostile opposition, that can only serve to improve his attitude further and increase his confidence in himself--which is even more important that his teammates' confidence in him. HE will go out onto the field knowing that he is THE MAN because he deserves it. Rather than trying to prove to his teammates that, to paraphrase Losman himself, "he's got it", he can just go out and play football and use those physical tools that he has the best way that he knows how because he will know that he's THE MAN. And, his teammates will respond to him as THE MAN because they will know that he has proven that he is and not because he's the coaches' favorite or got handed the job. That will result in JP and the whole team playing better because JP will have more real confidence in himself and so will his teammates.

Now, that might not be the ideal way to bring along a young QB who was drafted in the first round, but, after the way that he has been handled in the past and the team responded to him, it just might be the best way to turn him into the kind of NFL QB that he has always had the potential to be. From what he says in the interview, it would appear that JP has responded positively to this approach, so if it produces the right results, it doesn't matter if it whether this was the ideal way to produce those results or not. JP says that it has changed his attitude and approach to the game and, based on what we have heard about his performance thus far in the OTAs and mini-camp, he has improved his performance. That's all that counts. If he can continue that when the hitting starts and he's facing a hostile defense, with his physical tools, he won't have to worry about winning the QB competition. He's got to prove--more to himself than to anyone else--that he can do that and, if he does, he won't have to worry about being named or recognized as THE MAN, he will be THE MAN. And, everyone will know it.

Obviously, the other two QBs want to show that they can be and should be THE MAN. But, neither of them have the physical tools that Losman has, so, if Losman shows that he has the right attitude and approach to the game and can keep his wits about him under fire, IMHO they are going to have a longer row to hoe to beat him out for that distinction.

HHURRICANE
06-24-2006, 08:10 AM
"I've always been coached hard in high school and college with two very, very tough coaches to play for and it taught me a lot," he said. "Last year I really didn't get coached as hard as I normally did. It was kind of cool at first, but I don't know. They're coaching me hard right now and it seems like it's working so let's keep it up."

Mike Mularkey what a puss!!!:limp:

FlyingDutchman
06-24-2006, 01:34 PM

I agree, all im sayin is that he should earn the job. Those players you compared him to were different situations. Imagine if some kid started working in your office and shot right up the ladder without doing anything to prove he deserves it. IMO, handing him the job last year was a huge mistake. Im all for Losman, but he really needs this competition to push him.

FlyingDutchman
06-24-2006, 05:06 PM
One problem with that idea that the top draft picks are more talented and have more potential....there are plenty of players drafted high that didn't amount to anything.
Some examples
#1 overall
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1992</TD><TD align=left>Steve Emtman, dt

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1988</TD><TD align=left>Aundray Bruce, lb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1972</TD><TD align=left>Walt Patulski, dt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>#2 overall

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD align=left>Ryan Leaf, qb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1993</TD><TD align=left>Rick Mirer, qb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1990</TD><TD align=left>Blair Thomas, rb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1989</TD><TD align=left>Tony Manderich, ot</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Since they were drafted so high, they must've had HOF careers, right? :idunno:
The draft is a crap shoot...pure and simple. The only thing that drafting early gets you is more selection.

Of course this happens. Just like people at the later rounds of the drafts sometimes go on to be amazing. Obviously it goes both ways. What do you mean its false that top draft picks dont have more potential. Of course theres gonna be some flops but id say about 75% of top ten draft picks have some sort of decent career. Its always easier to remember the flops. Theres always gonna be more potential in the top 10 picks versus in any point of the draft. But thats not the point. The point is when you get someone in the top 5 picks like most of the QBs were, you have a huge investment in them and to not put them in and give them a chance almost right away is crazy. Its all about the money and theres a big difference from from a 15 pick and a top 5 pick.

The_Philster
06-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Doesn't mean you give up on a 1st round talent without giving him a fair shot. He's shown a few sparks...it'd be idiotic to let another team fan those sparks into a flame a few years from now when we could do it ourselves now

FlyingDutchman
06-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Doesn't mean you give up on a 1st round talent without giving him a fair shot. He's shown a few sparks...it'd be idiotic to let another team fan those sparks into a flame a few years from now when we could do it ourselves now

agreed, i just think he should earn it (and from reports in camp he is). Im just sayin the difference in him getting handed the job, versus people like Palmer, Manning etc...