X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Offensive Line = Long Season

I can live with a losing season when you can see a team starting to gel and getting better. This was the case with the Bills in the late 80's and more recently with the Bengals.

With that said, if the Bills can't protect their QB or create holes to run through this is going to be a very long season. I am not convinced that our OL is significantly better. It may be improved but when you consider that we ranked 3rd in lost yards we have a long way to go.

I recently watched the games that I had recorded from last year and it doesn't matter how good you are at QB when you don't even have time to set. It doesn't matter how good a RB you are when you are met in the backfield.

MM's play calling didn't help the situation last year but this new OL had better take it up a notch.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Offensive Line = Long Season

Give them a chance.

Fowler is better than Teague. Reyes better (by default) than Anderson. Peters will improve. There will be at least 3 new starters from game #1 last season (Peters, Reyes, Fowler) and maybe Preston over Villarrial. Add in a new scheme and this line has a chance to be much improved.
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 06-24-2006, 10:35 AM.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      Give them a chance.

Fowler is better than Teague. Reyes better (by default) than Anderson. Peters will improve. There will be at least 3 new starters from game #1 last season (Peters, Reyes, Fowler) and maybe Preston over Villarrial. Ass in a new scheme and this line has a chance to be much improved.
      I agree but we have no depth. We get an injury anywhere and we are screwed. Who is backing up Peters? Who is backing up Gandy? RT and LT!!!

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Gibson is backing-up Peters and will be a good one. Preston will backup Reyes or vice versa, and Preston can also backup RG. Geisinger will backup Fowler. But at LT, there's no real backup. Keeping the starting unit healthy will be important for sure, and with an injury or two on the O-line things won't be so bad, unless one of them's at LT.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
          I agree but we have no depth. We get an injury anywhere and we are screwed. Who is backing up Peters? Who is backing up Gandy? RT and LT!!!
          Considering this team did not even have starters last year, it is an improvement. It will take a couple of years to get depth as well.

And if Gandy goes down, I forsee Peters moving over to LT.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Give them a chance.

Fowler is better than Teague. Reyes better (by default) than Anderson. Peters will improve. There will be at least 3 new starters from game #1 last season (Peters, Reyes, Fowler) and maybe Preston over Villarrial. Ass in a new scheme and this line has a chance to be much improved.
            I also think Gandy will be better with last year's experience at LT and another camp with McNally. Royal at TE will also make a difference with his blocking.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Give them a chance.

I think this line will be improved over last season but it doesn't take much to be improved over last year. As you stated Lecter, Reyes is an upgrade over Fat Anderson....then again you or I would probably be an upgrade over Fatty too.

Peters will continue to only get better at the Tackle spot through more experience. He was pretty good last year and will obviously be better with more experience and repetion at the spot. He's easily our best OL, but the problem is he's not a guy experienced at the spot as of right now. It also says volumes about the lack of talent the rest of our line has.

I do disagree with Fowler being an upgrade over Teague though. I've gone into why before so I'll save the semantics now. Maybe in a new scheme Fowler will do well here or maybe he'll flounder like in Cleveland. We can only hope for the former over the latter.

Villarial is servicable and I have no problem if he stays in his spot, in fact I'd rather have at least one "proven" guy on this line instead of a bunch of youngsters/hopefuls. I realize that Gandy is also a veteran on this line but I feel that Villarial is the better of the two. I also would rather have only 3 youngsters manning the D-line over having 4.

It all depends on how much time it takes all these new guys to gel into a unit. Offensive line play is HUGELY based on how well everyone plays together and how good the guy next to you is playing.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

there is always lots of linemen cut to get to the final rosters so there should be several decent chances to upgrade depth at the least
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Goobylal
                  Gibson is backing-up Peters and will be a good one. Preston will backup Reyes or vice versa, and Preston can also backup RG. Geisinger will backup Fowler. But at LT, there's no real backup. Keeping the starting unit healthy will be important for sure, and with an injury or two on the O-line things won't be so bad, unless one of them's at LT.
                  Isn't Preston the backup for Villareal? Gibson didn't even play ball last year! We have no backup for Gandy! Uhh, this is what my point was.

Gandy, Fowler, Villareal, Reyes, Peters is a mediocre line at best. And out of that group Peters looks the best. With the exception of Preston backing up Villareal any other losses causes major problems.

Yes, the line is better than last year, but again, that's not saying much. I am not trying to bash the Bills but I am very concerned.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    MM's play calling didn't help the situation last year but this new OL had better take it up a notch.
                    The OL can look better if Fairchild calls plays that cover up blemishes. Losman on rollouts hits the TE, WR or RB quickly, setting up the long pass to Evans later. A mobile QB and quick execution plays could take lots of pressure off this OL. We'll see but at least the coaching staff is planning correctly, based on the players they have.

Traps,draws,delays and good sweeps on Running plays. The OL isn't built to overpower anyone so call plays where mobility works as a positive. .
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

The biggest improvement to the O-line might not have a much to do with the O-line. If the QB can read a defense and get rid of the ball quickly, the O-line will look much improved.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

Gandy, Preston, Fowler, Reyes, Peters? I thought O-line was where fat white guys could still have an NFL career.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                          • Jun 2005

I think this years is better then the past 3 years IMHO

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BillsIN05
                            I think this years is better then the past 3 years IMHO
                            If you took the "All-Stars" from the last 5 years, this line would still be more talented.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Give them a chance.

Fowler is better than Teague. Reyes better (by default) than Anderson. Peters will improve. There will be at least 3 new starters from game #1 last season (Peters, Reyes, Fowler) and maybe Preston over Villarrial. Add in a new scheme and this line has a chance to be much improved.
                              I'd love to see Villarial riding the pine where he belongs, but Preston didn't impress me last year. Reyes is definitely an upgrade. I'm not completely sold on Fowler, but it's not that hard to be better than Teague.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X