PDA

View Full Version : Sabres are grist for draft rumor mill

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Get this: leading scorer Maxim Afinogenov and goalie Martin Biron to the St. Louis Blues for the No. 1 overall selection. Or this: unreliable-but-potent winger Thomas Vanek to the Calgary Flames for defenseman Jordan Leopold.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060624/1017656.asp

SABURZFAN
06-24-2006, 03:30 PM
i wouldn't be upset about the St.Louis trade but i don't want us to part with vanek.

YardRat
06-24-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd mix it up...Max and Marty for Leopold.

SABURZFAN
06-24-2006, 03:35 PM

throw a draft pick in there for us too. :up:

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2006, 03:52 PM

Insane. Way too much.

Gmcc24
06-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't want Vanek to be traded. I mean, it was his first season playing in the NHL, give him some time. Trading him would be a dumb ass move, especially if he goes on to terrorize opposing teams....

The_Philster
06-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Hell no to both scenarios

YardRat
06-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Insane. Way too much.

I'd rather get a player than a draft pick, if we're giving up both.

Michael82
06-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Max sucked ass in the playoffs. I'd trade him for whatever solid player you can get.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Max sucked ass in the playoffs. I'd trade him for whatever solid player you can get.

agreed :up:

Bill Brasky
06-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Hell no to both scenarios
Agreed. No way I send a 26 year old guy who was the leading scorer on this team, along with a top 15 goalie, for the #1 pick. Our farm system is good, we don't need a #1 overall if it means giving up that much.

Bill Brasky
06-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Yeah, but don't discredit what he did for the team in getting them to the playoffs.

The_Philster
06-24-2006, 05:15 PM
There's been talk the last few days on WGR550 about finding a way to keep Marty...considering we were the only team that went anywhere in the playoffs who didn't have to use more than one goalie. At the beginning of the season, we had 3 solid goaltenders in Miller, Biron, and Noronen. We already traded away Mika...it'd be playing with fire to go into 2007-2008 with only one solid G. THere just has to be a way to keep Marty, IMO :idunno:

chernobylwraiths
06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
There's been talk the last few days on WGR550 about finding a way to keep Marty...considering we were the only team that went anywhere in the playoffs who didn't have to use more than one goalie. At the beginning of the season, we had 3 solid goaltenders in Miller, Biron, and Noronen. We already traded away Mika...it'd be playing with fire to go into 2007-2008 with only one solid G. THere just has to be a way to keep Marty, IMO :idunno:

I guess it was stupid to part with Mika then and we wouldn't have to be searching for a backup goalie. I don't like Regier and I think this was one of him more boneheaded moves. "Let's see, we have a solid backup that could be a number 1 goalie in many other places and we have another backup that hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself but has done great in the minors. Plus, the first backup makes $2 and the other guy about half. What should I do?"

I love Marty and would love it if he stayed, but I think the chances of that happening are about as good as me winning the lottery or having sex with Jessica Alba. He wants to be a number 1 again.

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Mikey, you don't trade a guy with that much talent, youth and ability who only has played in the playoffs once.

You and Yardrat are judging him way too quickly. His skills are critical in today's game.

chernobylwraiths
06-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Mikey, you don't trade a guy with that much talent, youth and ability who only has played in the playoffs once.

You and Yardrat are judging him way too quickly. His skills are critical in today's game.

Max had played in the playoffs before. I like him and all, but I would think giving up the first overall (if there is a guy who is close to Ovechoweveryouspellit or Crosby skills) for Biron and Max. Max will want a significant raise and Biron will want out to be a number 1. Add that to the fact that we would rarely see them again and there is little chance that they could come back to burn us in the playoffs or regular season and you have a great deal.

chernobylwraiths
06-24-2006, 05:31 PM
http://www.nhl.com/players/8466202.html

Max's stats.

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I would not mind the deal for the 1st overall.

Yardie's idea of Leopold for Ma and Marty or Mikey's of "any solid player" is too little.

chernobylwraiths
06-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I would not mind the deal for the 1st overall.

Yardie's idea of Leopold for Ma and Marty or Mikey's of "any solid player" is too little.

I agree.

clumping platelets
06-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Eric Johnson would have looked good in the new unis :sad:

SabreEleven
06-24-2006, 06:26 PM
What if the new unis are ugly?

JD
06-24-2006, 07:37 PM
What if the new unis are ugly?
It cant possibly be worse than the Ducks..:dance:

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Or the current 3rd jerseys.

YardRat
06-24-2006, 10:37 PM

Max has always been un under-aciever...it's not as if my opinion of him was just formed this year. His MO has been consistent throughout his career...all flash, not enough production.

The only thing that 'saved' his ass during this year's regular season was the rule changes, and he couldn't maintain his production in the play-offs despite having three series to do it.

I look at the trade the opposite way...you don't give up two players to get a developmental guy in the NHL...you get someone in return who can immediately step into the line up.

Bill Brasky
06-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Or the current 3rd jerseys.

:puke:

Dr. Lecter
06-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Max has always been un under-aciever...it's not as if my opinion of him was just formed this year. His MO has been consistent throughout his career...all flash, not enough production.

The only thing that 'saved' his ass during this year's regular season was the rule changes, and he couldn't maintain his production in the play-offs despite having three series to do it.

I look at the trade the opposite way...you don't give up two players to get a developmental guy in the NHL...you get someone in return who can immediately step into the line up.

What he, or any other player with a similar skill set, has done in previous year's is really not that important. The game has changed.

And I don't know what mor eproduction you want. He led the team in scoring this season. What more should have he done? Were his playoffs dissappointing? Yes. But as we have discussed before guys like Hecht were down too. (And the year rank is not a good comparison. Both were down in points per game)

Also are you making an 'excuse' for his regular season production? It is almost as if you are taking his good and saying it does not count, only his bad does.

As for the trade, giving up two players for one player when all three are likely equally skilled is a rip-off. Since, it ain't gonna happen I guess the point is moot.

BillsFever21
06-24-2006, 11:51 PM

Mikey overreacting? :shocked:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-25-2006, 12:00 AM
What he, or any other player with a similar skill set, has done in previous year's is really not that important. The game has changed.

And I don't know what mor eproduction you want. He led the team in scoring this season. What more should have he done? Were his playoffs dissappointing? Yes. But as we have discussed before guys like Hecht were down too. (And the year rank is not a good comparison. Both were down in points per game)

Also are you making an 'excuse' for his regular season production? It is almost as if you are taking his good and saying it does not count, only his bad does.

As for the trade, giving up two players for one player when all three are likely equally skilled is a rip-off. Since, it ain't gonna happen I guess the point is moot.

He only was the leading scorer because Briere had that sports hernia surgury and he was out of the lineup. If Briere played every game this yr. he would probably would've scored 40-50 goals

YardRat
06-25-2006, 12:02 AM

Sure it does. Max has been a consistent under-achiever, both under the old rules and the changes. That means something.

I want more production when it counts. I want Max to be able to finish. He can't. And we're not talking about Hecht or others...we're talking about Max.

No excuse...Max benifitted from the rules changes...as did all offensively skilled players. His good regular season counts for something, but what good is it if he can't continue into the play-offs? He's expendable in my book.

As for the trade, giving up two players for one player when all three are likely equally skilled is a rip-off.

Considering the make-up of the Sabres current roster, "equal" is a matter of perspective. If you can give up a back-up goaltender and an under-achieving forward for a regular contributor on the blue-line, you make the deal.

The Sabres have plenty of young, skilled, offensive players on the roster, and a franchise goalie in Miller...they need defensemen.

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2006, 08:33 AM
He only was the leading scorer because Briere had that sports hernia surgury and he was out of the lineup. If Briere played every game this yr. he would probably would've scored 40-50 goals

And he picked up the slack when Briere was out.

YardRat
06-25-2006, 08:52 AM
And he picked up the slack when Briere was out.

I'd like to see proof of that.

Was Max's ppg higher when Briere was injured, or higher when Daniel was in the line-up?

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Not really sure.

I know he had as many OT goals as anybody on the team. He won a game on a shotout goal. He is still young.

The Sabre can't dump this guy for the sake of dumping him. He is still one of their top forwards. Trade a guy like Dumont (an UFA after next season) first.

YardRat
06-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't trade just to dump him, either. But I'd be willing to let him go with Biron for a blue-liner, if that's who the other team insisted on getting in the deal.

He led the team in assists in the regular season, which is good, but his goals per shot was under ten percent, which put him behind many others on the team. He can't finish.