PDA

View Full Version : So Losman is maturing

ghz in pittsburgh
06-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Losman admitted recently that all he wanted to do last year was to prove to everyone that he belonged in NFL, that he had the starting QB in him. No doubt that was fueled by TD & Mularkay's decision to name him the starter and proclaim that the Bills would not miss a beat.

So he stayed in Buffalo, studied all year (I'd not be surprised that the administration suggested him to do so). By his own account, so often he'd say to coaches that he got it in the film room. All that was left for him to do was to play in the field to show people.

The reality is that getting it in the film room is very different from getting it on the field. For Losman he didn't know because he never actually started a game in NFL prior to last year. What was a highly anticipated show, a proof to all people, to all doubters about what he could do quickly turned into confusion. Losman has no backup plan. Like a rookie actor, he mastered all the materials in rehearsal rooms but quickly forgot about everything in front of live audience, facing unexpected events.

One year passed and now he says all he wanted to do is to best himself - to be the best QB that he can be. I actually believe what he said because he came across as those who say what they believe.

In that regard, he is, indeed, maturing because playing QB in NFL is not about showing off to people (in fact it often leads to dumb plays), being a leader is not about making some extraordinary plays to woo them; it's about doing the best you can. If you are good enough, you will be successful, and people will respect you.

I don't know if Losman grasps this concept completely but it sounded like he's getting there. Notice that he has used the word consistency a few times this year, something he never mentioned last year. Playing up to your best consistently is exactly what quality NFL players do.

Another encouraging sign is that he mentioned about "not being coached hard" last year. I really don't know what he mean by "coached hard", but I'm glad to see that he's linking his on-field experience to his preparation and is looking for answers. In other words, he's not just looking at his films and says damn if I made that throw a little more inside ... and proceeds to go to the field house throwing 100 balls at a tire; he's actully looking for deeper answers (and granted the only thing he has in his experience so far is that he's been "coached hard" before).

We know physically Losman can play in NFL. And it looks like he's got the right mental approach to the game. All that is left is for him to show us if he has the football smarts in him. If he does, he'll be here for a long time. If he doesn't, he'll be out of here, possibly the league pretty soon.

ICE74129
06-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Losman will be fine...if...they dont screw him up. This job is his period. This 'QB competition' is a joke and anyone who has coached knows it. Its the BILLS that have fans fooled. I just hope they dont 'have themselfs fooled as well.

The job is JP's let him have it, give him all 16 games with no fear of being pulled. Give him full backing of the coaching staff and lets move on.

Jan Reimers
06-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I agree with both of you. We don't know how good JP will ultimately be, but he's the only QB on the roster with a chance to take us anywhere.

Mitchy moo
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
"One year passed and now he says all he wanted to do is to best himself " , that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

P.S. Your quoting this article I posted before, maybe you could of saved some board space and made your point on here, eh?
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=102380

ICE74129
06-26-2006, 06:58 PM
"One year passed and now he says all he wanted to do is to best himself " , that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

P.S. Your quoting this article I posted before, maybe you could of saved some board space and made your point on here, eh?
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=102380

Can you not post a reply without a shot at the guy? Name for me ONE PLAYER that has given more of his time to this team in the last two years? You can't.

Succeed, Fail, either way it won't be because he didn't give Buffalo and its fans EVERYTHING the kid had both on and off the field.

!Papacrunk!
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
THis kind of got me thinking a bit---there's been some players, mostly QBs that people claim they're products of a system as opposed to their own talent. Does this happen the other way around--is a QB terrible, or just a product of a bad system? I would imagine this year would be a good test of either the above positive or negative situation for Losman b/c of the new offensive system in place.

TigerJ
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
If I were to guess what being "coached hard" means, I would assume it means having a coach get in his face when he makes stupid mistakes or gets caught dogging it.

gannd
06-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I think he has less pressure on him this year. Last year there was all this talk that we might have the best D in the league and Losman didnt have to win games by himself, just not lose them.

That theory turned out to be a steaming bowl of you-know-what. The Bills will go into this year as a potential .500 team and we shall see what happends. I'm sure TKO doesn't want to just be a marginal team so he might come back stronger than ever. Our defense will have a clean slate and a chance to quietly dominate.

They should tell Losman and the fans he will start no matter what and we should accept whatever happends.

FlyingDutchman
06-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Theres no question JP has the physical tools, he just needs some protection, and some more game experience. I just hope he plays within himself and doesnt try to make too much happen. If this kid starts reading D's better, with his speed running and his cannon for an arm, he could be dangerous.

mayotm
06-28-2006, 07:13 AM

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=102380You're complaining about others wasting board space? Wow!

jamze132
06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
I have a feeling that Jauron will be starting Losman in New England and he already has made up his mind. But in fairness to the other two guys in a "competition" he won't anounce it just yet. Another reason why he probably isn't saying anything is because he doesn't want to psyche out Losman. Maybe he wants to see how hard Losman will work with him not knowing that the job is already his.

ublinkwescore
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
THis kind of got me thinking a bit---there's been some players, mostly QBs that people claim they're products of a system as opposed to their own talent. Does this happen the other way around--is a QB terrible, or just a product of a bad system? I would imagine this year would be a good test of either the above positive or negative situation for Losman b/c of the new offensive system in place.

I think Steve Fairchild will be a pretty damn good OC.

Unfortunately, I think he will probably suffer some growing pains, and this team has a lot of new faces so there will be a gelling period for them as well, unfortunately.