PDA

View Full Version : News : Rights to G- Biron Retained

SkateZilla
06-26-2006, 05:03 PM
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=494871

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Goaltender Martin Biron received the Buffalo Sabres one-year qualifying offer and expects to sign it, but only in hopes the team grants his wish to be traded.

Well, Makes sense if they intend to trade him, if they dont intend to trade, it doesnt make sense, unless they are willing to bite the 2+ million a year until we get some more goalies in the organization..

2 Scenerios,

A. Signed Marty, Work Him Preseason, TRade Him For a Defensemen Early......

B. Signed Marty, Work Him all Season, And Keep him until we get another decent goalie in our organization..

Reasons:
A. Finally Get soemthing for a player and not this crap like we did with Satan and not signing him and losing him for nothing, possibly what iwllhappen with McKee as well

B. After Leighton Our Decent Goalie Line Stops, i havent had Sufficient info on hte other goalies we got but none of them are NHL Ready anyway...

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-26-2006, 06:41 PM
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=494871

Well, Makes sense if they intend to trade him, if they dont intend to trade, it doesnt make sense, unless they are willing to bite the 2+ million a year until we get some more goalies in the organization..

2 Scenerios,

A. Signed Marty, Work Him Preseason, TRade Him For a Defensemen Early......

B. Signed Marty, Work Him all Season, And Keep him until we get another decent goalie in our organization..

Reasons:
A. Finally Get soemthing for a player and not this crap like we did with Satan and not signing him and losing him for nothing, possibly what iwllhappen with McKee as well

B. After Leighton Our Decent Goalie Line Stops, i havent had Sufficient info on hte other goalies we got but none of them are NHL Ready anyway...

Can you say Hasek all over again :rolleyes: this is exactly how we traded Hasek he signed the deal and then demanded to be traded.

The_Philster
06-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Marty's not the jerk that Dom was.

SkateZilla
06-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Marty Dont Care, its his Agent Demanding the trade.....

and he does deserve to be a started some where else, just not anywhere were we'll be seeing him every other weekend..:respect:

camelcowboy
06-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Leighton won't be a sabre, they didn't qualify him

http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=1681

SkateZilla
06-26-2006, 10:08 PM
well, thats a big hit for Rochester, lets hope they have a good filler coming from FLA or Their Lower Affiliate..

SABURZFAN
06-27-2006, 07:13 AM
i think biron holds more value when the trade deadline gets closer.it doesn't hurt to spend a couple million for a decent backup either.if miller were to get injured,i wouldn't worry knowing that we have an experienced goaltender who can step in and do an outstanding job for this team.

Earthquake Enyart
06-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Unless someone comes out and knocks our socks off with an offer, I wouldn't mind holding on to Marty until the trade deadline during the season.

Michael82
06-27-2006, 10:05 AM
well, thats a big hit for Rochester, lets hope they have a good filler coming from FLA or Their Lower Affiliate..
They don't care anymore. And if they keep that attitude up, they are going to chase away the Amerks...AKA the team that saved their ass their season from all the players that were developed in Rochester. :mad:

Dr. Lecter
06-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Unless someone comes out and knocks our socks off with an offer, I wouldn't mind holding on to Marty until the trade deadline during the season.

I would rather free his 2.1 million up, spend $750,000 on a real back-up and used the other 1.5 million to re-sign our FA's or get a defenseman.

Dr. Lecter
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
They don't care anymore. And if they keep that attitude up, they are going to chase away the Amerks...AKA the team that saved their ass their season from all the players that were developed in Rochester. :mad:

Calm down Mikey. They just signed 4 or 5 draft picks that will spend the year in Rochester and can pick up low level guys for the Amerks. It is a cycle. They have kept the Amerks plenty stocked for the past 8-10 years.

chernobylwraiths
06-27-2006, 11:13 AM

Sure. The owner who lives in Rochester and had his big league club play a regular season game in Rochester cares nothing for Rochester. You have to understand, Rochester is the Sabres FARM team. As much as I'm sure the Sabres would love for them to compete for Calder Cups every year, their main objective is to develop talent, no matter who it is for.

chernobylwraiths
06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I would rather free his 2.1 million up, spend $750,000 on a real back-up and used the other 1.5 million to re-sign our FA's or get a defenseman.

Or give the other 1.5 million to McKee.

Michael82
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Sure. The owner who lives in Rochester and had his big league club play a regular season game in Rochester cares nothing for Rochester. You have to understand, Rochester is the Sabres FARM team. As much as I'm sure the Sabres would love for them to compete for Calder Cups every year, their main objective is to develop talent, no matter who it is for.
they added the Panthers to the Amerks because the Sabres don't want to fill out the team like they used to and support it like they used to. Hell, look at the two top players they draft...both of them are going to be playing hockey elsewhere for a while. They talk about it here all the time. One thing the Sabres have always done was help keep the Amerks competitive and keep the team supplied as the players develop down there. Then last year they decide to get cheaper and save money on the farm team by splitting the partnership with Florida. I understand that their objective is to develop talent...but why not try to fill it completely with your talent and start developing from scratch again. Why do the partnership? Now the Amerks aren't just developing Sabres anymore, they are also developing Panthers. IMO, that's stupid.

Michael82
06-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Calm down Mikey. They just signed 4 or 5 draft picks that will spend the year in Rochester and can pick up low level guys for the Amerks. It is a cycle. They have kept the Amerks plenty stocked for the past 8-10 years.
not anymore. Since the partnership with Florida last year, the Sabres are cheaping out on their farm club to cut costs. I don't understand why you would do that, especially after seeing what the development has done for the Sabres team. If it wasn't for the Rochester Amerks, there wouldn't have been a season like this one. They wouldn't have been a period away from the Stanley Cup Finals. Yet the Sabres turn that back on that and now split their farm club with another team. How does that help Buffalo out? They only develop half the team now.

Bill Brasky
06-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Guys, even if Marty is gone, which he no doubt probably is, I have faith in our system.

Our farm system and front office has a knack for either developing or finding capable goalies. Think of who they've either traded for, or developed, in the past past 15 years - guys like Fuhr, Hasek, Sheilds, Marty, Miller, Rolly...

We've already got Miller. He's going to be our franchise for years to come. We have more than enough time to develop a young guy. I understand that when Marty leaves, we won't have a proven back up, but it doesn't concern me more than losing McKee does.

Michael82
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Guys, even if Marty is gone, which he no doubt probably is, I have faith in our system.

Our farm system and front office has a knack for either developing or finding capable goalies. Think of who they've either traded for, or developed, in the past past 15 years - guys like Fuhr, Hasek, Sheilds, Marty, Miller, Rolly...

We've already got Miller. He's going to be our franchise for years to come. We have more than enough time to develop a young guy. I understand that when Marty leaves, we won't have a proven back up, but it doesn't concern me more than losing McKee does.
Good point. :clap:

SkateZilla
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Biron SIgns Offer For 2.1 and Will Play For Sabres

bigbub2352
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
This allows us to get maxim trade value in return on a trade of gives us a seftey valve if Ryan Miller decides to hold out, which very well could happen

SABURZFAN
07-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Biron SIgns Offer For 2.1 and Will Play For Sabres

i like it.we have a position that we solidified and opened ourselves up for a few teams who will be interested in a goaltender when the season opens.

jamze132
07-14-2006, 06:06 AM
I think he will be traded after the season starts at or near the trading deadline. It doesn't really hurt us to have him in camp incase Miller goes down with an injury. Darcy also stated that he wouldn't trade Biron until he had a quality backup to replace him. I think they will work out a package later in the year with another team when they can fully assess our team's needs.

Does he deserve to be starting somewhere else? Hell yeah, he has earned it. But I am very thankful that he is a team player. Besides it doesn't really hurt all that much to be a backup goalie making over $2 mil on a championship caliber team.

chernobylwraiths
07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Marty has gone on record as saying he is very anxious to be gone and get a shot at a number 1 job again. He signed the deal so that it would be easier for another team to trade for him.

You don't pay a guy 2.1 million as a backup.