PDA

View Full Version : Don't be dissapointed!

kgun12
02-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Don't be dissapointed with our Free agent signings. Here why.

Other teams are going to jump out and offer players crazy money at the start of FA's. TD probably has these same players in mind, but also has a price in mind. If you look back at his days in Pittsburgh you will see that he will not pay much more than the number in his head. So if teams go crazy out of the block, TD won't get into a biiding war.
That being said I believe TD has players in mind that he will go after, maybe not the top tier guys we all want, but the players we get will be good quality additions and we will be happy come game day. We have one of the best FO in the business and I have complete faith in them.

ArcticWildMan
02-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Yup. I agree. TD will have his eye on one big name player but he will have 3-4 other lesser rated players that we can sign if a bidding war starts.

JefftheBillsfan
02-17-2003, 01:02 PM
simple statement, simply great thread..

lordofgun
02-17-2003, 02:48 PM
TD is the man. He could definitely kick colin's :angry:.

kgun12
02-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
Don't be dissapointed with our Free agent signings. Here why.

Other teams are going to jump out and offer players crazy money at the start of FA's. TD probably has these same players in mind, but also has a price in mind. If you look back at his days in Pittsburgh you will see that he will not pay much more than the number in his head. So if teams go crazy out of the block, TD won't get into a biiding war.
That being said I believe TD has players in mind that he will go after, maybe not the top tier guys we all want, but the players we get will be good quality additions and we will be happy come game day. We have one of the best FO in the business and I have complete faith in them.

If we really do keep Price, keep this thread in mind with every signing!:couch:

Bufftp
02-20-2003, 04:13 PM
I agree Kgun:up:

kgun12
02-27-2003, 12:17 PM
When you look at Wys thread on a TD going slow in Free agency, this what I meant when I started this thread on 2-17-03.

kgun12
03-01-2003, 02:30 PM
This is a reminder to the folks that are already giving TD C"s and D's for FA that is only 2 days old.

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 02:34 PM
I agree with a take it slow approach, but if it also means every player worth signing is picked up by other teams, what good does it do?

The only "marquee" player we have made an offer to is our very own Peerless Price and that looks to be nothing more than a means to get a draft pick.

I don't normally question TD, but this lack of action on anything other than average players is starting to worry me.

Novacane
03-01-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't see why some are ripping TD. The only team that has gone hog wild in FA so far is Washington. Most the players we had in mind are still out there. Patience for goodness sakes

kgun12
03-01-2003, 02:45 PM
AGRRED FTG!

Arctic: Read my whole initial post. TD hads never done things fast and probably get the guys, he doesn't work FA like that. This should surprise us.

EVERYONE RELAX, remember last year, slow FA and know money we ended up with Bledsoe, Fletcher, Hollis and Chidi. Not bad for not having money. Now we have money,so lets wait until it's over and see what he does before we get crazy.

Michael82
03-01-2003, 03:56 PM
It's not the fact that he is not signing anybody that bothers us. It is the fact that he is signing scrubs or third tier players and also not even bringing any of the big names in for meetings. IMO, we should have at least 3 or 4 visits scheduled for today and tomorrow.....Mike Peterson, Takeo Spikes, John Thornton, and Hugh Douglas. Then he should schedule visits with some other names for Monday and Tuesday....Roosevelt Colvin, Vonnie Holliday, Shawn Barber, Daryl Gardener, and Sam Adams.

If we start setting up meetings with these players and trying to get them interested...then I feel that we wouldn't be so upset right now with all the moves that TD isn't doing.

RedEyE
03-01-2003, 04:00 PM
It's been only 2 days guys. Remember it's all one giant chess game. I'm certain TD will come out on top. Just be patient. ;)

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Sigh....I'm trying, but the waiting is killing me :D

Michael82
03-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Plus, if he is not working on bringing people in, then he should be working on re-signing our own players....Mike Hollis, Brian Moorman, Chidi Ahonatu, and Phillip Crosby. :D

Akhippo
03-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Although the wait is killing me also, I think its the right move. Risky but right. Especially at the DT position. This is one of the deepest in the draft. So many teams in need will probably get one there. If we bring in say G Jackson for a visit and dont offer him a contract right then, he might get the inpression hes not wanted, or if we do offer him a contract, which would be low to start the ball rolling, then another team brings him in a week from now and ups the offer, he probable wouldnt give us a second thought. Its all about stroking egos and making your move at the right time.

ArcticWildMan
03-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Hey Akhippo!! :wave:

Did you get a chance to catch the Iditarod ceremonial start?

kgun12
03-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
It's not the fact that he is not signing anybody that bothers us. It is the fact that he is signing scrubs or third tier players and also not even bringing any of the big names in for meetings. IMO, we should have at least 3 or 4 visits scheduled for today and tomorrow.....Mike Peterson, Takeo Spikes, John Thornton, and Hugh Douglas. Then he should schedule visits with some other names for Monday and Tuesday....Roosevelt Colvin, Vonnie Holliday, Shawn Barber, Daryl Gardener, and Sam Adams.

If we start setting up meetings with these players and trying to get them interested...then I feel that we wouldn't be so upset right now with all the moves that TD isn't doing.

Mike with what you wrote here I can see why you are disapointed, but this is what I think TD does, and what FA is all about. Him TM and the scouts put a FA board together like the a draft board. Than they start FA, they watch what happens with the big names, then look at their board and see who is still left. I think players are like us after acouple of days they get worried cause A. they haven't gotten a visit, B. they thought that they would have already been signed . This is when TD sets his visits up. They are a little antsy and Td plays coy with them. Well we will be in touch there are a few others at your position we want to look at we will let you know.

I just think that TD and his staff are confident that if they have to let one go so as not to over paly for another, that's what they will do. Even if they are all gone soon, there is always June 1st. I don't like it anymore than you guys, if it was up to me, we would have signed Peterson, Colvin and Thorton or Noble and Hollis. It would have been all over. Period wipe are hands FA is done.

BRING ON THE DRAFT. BUT TD doesn't paly that way.

kgun12
03-01-2003, 08:03 PM
BTW Marh my words Hollis WILL be a Bills next year!

TigerJ
03-01-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm not exactly patient about anything during the offseason. I want news to make the time go faster, but I think TD is as savvy as GMs come. I'll wait and fret, but I haven't and won't complain.