• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Zone Original: Neil Masters

Reading and listening to the comments of Buffalo Bills Head Coach Dick Jauron and Offensive Coordinator Steve Fairchild after the end of the Bills' mandatory mini-camp, it now appears that the competition for the Bills' starting QB job is not going to come down to Kelly Holcomb vs. JP Losman, but JP Losman vs. Craig Nall. And, that it will not be decided until after at least the first or second preseason game, if not the third.

As I See It
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Zone Original: Neil Masters

Good artcle. I hope it becomes true. JP and Nall beating out KH by earning it and not having it handed to them. I'm not a KH hater but anyone who beats him out is always a good thing for the team.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

holcomb is a very solid qb so im certainly hoping jp or nall can take the job from him
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Good article, if a bit long. Having either Nall or Losman beat out Holcomb in a legitimate competition to reveal the best QB should result in improvement since Holcomb is a known commodity. If Holcomb starts, it should be the same old same old which to me isn't good enough.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
          holcomb is a very solid qb so im certainly hoping jp or nall can take the job from him
          Holcomb isn't a very solid QB. Very solid QB's are winners and starters. Holcomb is a career loser that is a solid backup at best.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

NALL BALL BABY!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

I disagree with one statement. He says Losman is the only one who has to prove himself in pre-season game situations. I'm not buying that.

Nall has barely played at all for 4 years. Short, fleeting pre-season action is not enough to give him a pass. He rarely took a regular season snap.

Just say no to Holcomb.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
                I disagree with one statement. He says Losman is the only one who has to prove himself in pre-season game situations. I'm not buying that.

Nall has barely played at all for 4 years. Short, fleeting pre-season action is not enough to give him a pass. He rarely took a regular season snap.

Just say no to Holcomb.
                Actually, if you read the article, I didn't say or even imply that "Losman is the only one who has to prove himself in pre-season game situations". On the contrary, in the next to the last paragraph I stated exactly the opposite of that:

"But, like Losman, Nall, too, has to prove that he can perform better than Holcomb consistently in game situations--after all, there's a reason that the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers to be Brett Favre's replacement and were interested in drafting Losman the year before. And, the Bills are going to give him a chance to do that. And, the only way that they can truly see how either of these two young QBs are going to perform in anything like real game situations is to see how they play in the first couple of preseason games."
                Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                  Actually, if you read the article, I didn't say or even imply that "Losman is the only one who has to prove himself in pre-season game situations". On the contrary, in the next to the last paragraph I stated exactly the opposite of that:

"But, like Losman, Nall, too, has to prove that he can perform better than Holcomb consistently in game situations--after all, there's a reason that the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers to be Brett Favre's replacement and were interested in drafting Losman the year before. And, the Bills are going to give him a chance to do that. And, the only way that they can truly see how either of these two young QBs are going to perform in anything like real game situations is to see how they play in the first couple of preseason games."
                  Point taken.

the coaches need only look at tape to know how Holcomb will perform in game situations and both Jauron and Levy have seen Nall perform in "game situations" in the preseason already--the only one that they have not seen in game situations, whose performance is likely to be significantly different from what they have seen on tape or in practice thus far is Losman. Because of his youth and inexperience and the way that he struggled in game situations last season, Losman is the one QB of the three that the coaches absolutely must see performing in game situations before they can possibly conclude that he deserves to be the starting QB.

It's this piece that triggered my response.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Aug 2004

Point taken.

the coaches need only look at tape to know how Holcomb will perform in game situations and both Jauron and Levy have seen Nall perform in "game situations" in the preseason already--the only one that they have not seen in game situations, whose performance is likely to be significantly different from what they have seen on tape or in practice thus far is Losman. Because of his youth and inexperience and the way that he struggled in game situations last season, Losman is the one QB of the three that the coaches absolutely must see performing in game situations before they can possibly conclude that he deserves to be the starting QB.

I can understand the confusion Night Train.

This comment is based on comments made by Levy and, particularly, Jauron when Nall was signed by the Bills about his play in for the Packers in the preseason. Jauron made a point of remarking that he was very impressed by how Nall played in a preseason game against his team (I believe it was Detroit last year). So, in that sense, they have seen Nall play in the preseason against hostile opposition in the past. But, of course, they have not seen him perform in Fairchild's offense against "live" opposition or in comparison to how Holcomb or Losman would perform in the Bills' offense against hostile opposition.

The distinction is a subtle one and perhaps I wasn't able to be quite clear in making it. I might have done better by mentioning Jauron's comment or quoting him in this paragraph to distinguish that point from the one that I was making in the later paragraph that I quoted above in this thread. Thanks for bringing this to my attention--hopefully it will help me not to make the same kind of mistake in future articles.
                    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Aug 2004

Point taken.

I can understand the confusion Night Train.

This comment is based on comments made by Levy and, particularly, Jauron when Nall was signed by the Bills about his play in for the Packers in the preseason. Jauron made a point of remarking that he was very impressed by how Nall played in a preseason game against his team (I believe it was Detroit last year). So, in that sense, they have seen Nall play in the preseason against hostile opposition in the past. But, of course, they have not seen him perform in Fairchild's offense against "live" opposition or in comparison to how Holcomb or Losman would perform in the Bills' offense against hostile opposition.

The distinction is a subtle one and perhaps I wasn't able to be quite clear in making it. I might have done better by mentioning Jauron's comment or quoting him in this paragraph to distinguish that point from the one that I was making in the later paragraph that I quoted above in this thread. Thanks for bringing this to my attention--hopefully it will help me not to make the same kind of mistake in future articles.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
                        you're high

Holcomb is an average QB serving as a backup at best. If JP or Nall can't beat him out we are definitely in for a long season. Heck when Jp or Nall does win the competition it could still mean a long season, but Holcomb is NOT the answer.

Comment

Working...
                        X