• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Another sign we need a new owner

Four-year veteran safety Ed Reed, the league's defensive player on the year in 2004, has reached agreement with the Baltimore Ravens on a six-year contract extension that will carry through the 2012 season, team officials confirmed on Tuesday afternoon.

Reed was taken something like 24th. Whitner 8th. IF whitner is anything like reed (and being taken 8th as a safety you damn well better be!) can anyone here seen Ralph Wilson paying a bigger contract than this? Or even matching it?

I don't. And what if JP 'Gets it'. Do they think they can keep him here for chump change esp after the crap he has went through? What about Evans in a couple years? McGahee if we keep him on this next offseason?

I don't see RW as the owner that can take us through the next several years. JP, Willis, Evans, a new LT, Whitner, etc....those are going to be BIG contracts with HUGE signing bonuses.

I hope this commitee that RW has his boy litman on, solidifys the CBA to the point Ralph is happy and can sell. If not, we will be losing a ton of talent in the next 5 years. Talent we drafted and developed for another team.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Another sign we need a new owner

Also, being the 24th pick he started as a rookie for the Ravens. I fully expect Whitner to be our starter on day one being the 8th pick.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Looking at RW, I think he feels everyday above ground is a good day. The less he spends the better in his mind but in all reality it is the smarter you spend the more you get out of players. You keep dangling carrots, like WMhee coming into a contract year and the chance for huge money. The sabres had like 3 people signed through this season and the rest we're FA's. You see how that turned out, they played their ASS*S off. Hopefully WMhee decides it's time to run and RW ante's up for him to stay w/ a few other's that shine this year.

In the end RW needs to go, by hook or by grim reaper.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

31 other teams have different owners. You're always welcome to go like one of them.

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

The least of my concerns with the Buffalo Bills right now is "what if J.P. Losman becomes a stud quarterback and we need to give him a lucrative extension?"

Talk about a wildy great problem to have...

Jon

Comment

• lordofgun
            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Don't be ridiculous, ICE. Ed Reed fell further than he should have. There really isn't a bigger difference-maker on the defensive side of the ball in the league.

Hold that draft today, and Reed goes top 5 easy. The day of the safety is here.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• R. Rich
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by lordofgun
              Don't be ridiculous, ICE. Ed Reed fell further than he should have. There really isn't a bigger difference-maker on the defensive side of the ball in the league.

For many reasons, the day of the safety is here. The advent of TEs like Gates, Shockey, Heap, Crumpler, and others who are more than short yardage types, plus the more frequent use of multiple WR sets makes it even more imperative to have safeties that can not only support the run, but that can cover also. Hybrid types like Reed, Polamalu, and Taylor are the rage now, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

As to Reed falling in that draft, I dunno. The Steelers really wanted Reed, but their pick was lower than Baltimore's and they didn't try to move up, a mistake the Steelers wouldn't make again w/ Polamalu, when they did trade up to get him.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

And Whitner was #8 so he should be an all pro stud. Again you NEVER take a SAFETY that high unless he is an immediate impact type player. Whitner may be and I personally hope so. That said...I don't see the Buffalo Bills current owner and front office paying the man what he will be worth.

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by R. Rich
                  For many reasons, the day of the safety is here. The advent of TEs like Gates, Shockey, Heap, Crumpler, and others who are more than short yardage types, plus the more frequent use of multiple WR sets makes it even more imperative to have safeties that can not only support the run, but that can cover also. Hybrid types like Reed, Polamalu, and Taylor are the rage now, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

As to Reed falling in that draft, I dunno. The Steelers really wanted Reed, but their pick was lower than Baltimore's and they didn't try to move up, a mistake the Steelers wouldn't make again w/ Polamalu, when they did trade up to get him.
                  But my good and wise friend, do you see Ralph Wilson and this front office paying Whitner, Willis, Evans and JP What they will be WORTH come contract time should they pan out? I don't. Ralphs whining about the CBA and lack of spending this offseason shows he just doesn't have the money to pay the bonuses. And I don't see them willing to pay top dollar for any player.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                    Next Question!
                    • Nov 2004

Yes, it was the Plan B days and a different period, but if he could afford to keep Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Smith, Bennett, etc. all around for years, I think he and Marv can find a way to make it happen again.

The bottom line is that if the team is winning, the fanbase and revenue will go up, which means more money for Ralph, which makes it easier for him to pay salaries. If the team is not winning, then there is less of a point to pay your top guys, because while they might be good, it's not working for the overall team.

So it's simple -- we start winning, and things will get better. If we don't, they won't.

Jon

Comment

• lordofgun
                      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      And Whitner was #8 so he should be an all pro stud. Again you NEVER take a SAFETY that high unless he is an immediate impact type player. Whitner may be and I personally hope so. That said...I don't see the Buffalo Bills current owner and front office paying the man what he will be worth.
                      Are you talking about his rookie deal? Or are you already worrying about an extension before he's even signed his rookie contract?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

I am still trying to figure out a contract negotiatied by the Ravens ppn a player the Bills have no one similar too reflects poorly on Ralph.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                          But my good and wise friend, do you see Ralph Wilson and this front office paying Whitner, Willis, Evans and JP What they will be WORTH come contract time should they pan out? I don't. Ralphs whining about the CBA and lack of spending this offseason shows he just doesn't have the money to pay the bonuses. And I don't see them willing to pay top dollar for any player.
                          I agree...It's hard to imagine Ralph parting with his money like that. All the better reason to lock up Evans long term right now while we have money available. I would also argue that we might as well lock up Clements too. Who cares if we overpay - I would rather overpay with money sitting around and have him play his best than to lose him for nothing after this year is over. I am willing to bet that he'll turn his season around this year from last year.

IMO, if cap space is available, smart owners and GMs should lock up their good young players before those players can even sniff free agency.

And oh yea, pay Whitner too.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            I am still trying to figure out a contract negotiatied by the Ravens ppn a player the Bills have no one similar too reflects poorly on Ralph.
                            Whitner had better be VERY similar to Reed or else its a bust pick. You dont' take a safety that high.

Ralph is cheap and IMHO doesn't have the money to keep up with todays NFL. I can see at least 4-6 HUGE contracts coming on the horizon he can't apperantly afford.

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Are you talking about his rookie deal? Or are you already worrying about an extension before he's even signed his rookie contract?
                              If I am his agent I only go a 4 year deal tops. If Whitner is worth the 8th pick in the draft he will demand HUGE money in 4 years.

McGahee will demand one this next offseason, JP will be up after the 07 season I think. Evans will be due soon as well. From ralphs *****ing and whining I don't see them affording these guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X