PDA

View Full Version : Ashlie Lelie

FlyingDutchman
06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
While watching that Weasel Clayton on ESPN today, he talked about free agents left and where they might sign. Denver is pushing to get rid of Lelie for the best offer they can. The amazing thing is, Shanahan is asking for a 1st round pick for Lelie! That or a good Running Back.

If I recall correctly, I dont think Lelie caught one TD last year. Im too lazy to look it up but I think he had the numbers of a 3rd or even 4th receiver. Jason Peters had more TDs than him. Moulds goes for a 4th, Terrel Owens went for a 3rd round pick to the Eagles, and Shanahan thinks hes gonna get a 1st? Sure Lelie is young and has potential, but what is Shanahan smoking to think he'll get anywhere near this. I dont know why the Broncos would even get rid of him.

IMO this is stupid considering Rod Smith is old, and despite having a good year this year, is bound to start declining. So then they have Javon Walker, coming back from a serious knee injury that he may never fully recover from (just ask Jamal Anderson). So what happens if Walker has problems, and Smith is not productive, or also has injuries. Whos their #1? Darius Watts? They dont have quality depth at all at WR. WIth Mike Anderson gone, they're whole offense could rely on Plummer and Bell. I dont see these guys being too successful.

Mr. Miyagi
06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
If they have to rely on Lelie being the go to guy, they're in big trouble.

Stewie
06-28-2006, 04:14 PM
While watching that Weasel Clayton on ESPN today, he talked about free agents left and where they might sign. Denver is pushing to get rid of Lelie for the best offer they can. The amazing thing is, Shanahan is asking for a 1st round pick for Lelie! That or a good Running Back.

If I recall correctly, I dont think Lelie caught one TD last year. Im too lazy to look it up but I think he had the numbers of a 3rd or even 4th receiver. Jason Peters had more TDs than him. Moulds goes for a 4th, Terrel Owens went for a 3rd round pick to the Eagles, and Shanahan thinks hes gonna get a 1st? Sure Lelie is young and has potential, but what is Shanahan smoking to think he'll get anywhere near this. I dont know why the Broncos would even get rid of him.

IMO this is stupid considering Rod Smith is old, and despite having a good year this year, is bound to start declining. So then they have Javon Walker, coming back from a serious knee injury that he may never fully recover from (just ask Jamal Anderson). So what happens if Walker has problems, and Smith is not productive, or also has injuries. Whos their #1? Darius Watts? They dont have quality depth at all at WR. WIth Mike Anderson gone, they're whole offense could rely on Plummer and Bell. I dont see these guys being too successful.

Shanahan is crazy for wanting a first, but Lelie does have the highest YPC for the last 2 years running.

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Bowlen needs to drug test ol' mike.

FlyingDutchman
06-28-2006, 07:23 PM
I was wrong, he did have 1 TD. His stats were 42 catches, for 770 with 1 Td. Yeah.... thats first round material. It is true that he has a good ypc though. He averaged 18.3 per catch, but thats only cause all his catches were on deep posts or fly patterns where he just happen to come down with it.

FlyingDutchman
06-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Found a link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2502785

Night Train
06-29-2006, 05:35 AM
Lelie is the classic Combine freak who was drafted higher than he should have been. Ran something like a 4.29 40 at Indy. Problem is, he's ALWAYS hurt.

McNasty21
06-29-2006, 12:18 PM
He had 1 touchdown vs pitt in the championship

Lexwhat
06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
I was wrong, he did have 1 TD. His stats were 42 catches, for 770 with 1 Td. Yeah.... thats first round material. It is true that he has a good ypc though. He averaged 18.3 per catch, but thats only cause all his catches were on deep posts or fly patterns where he just happen to come down with it.

I would take a chance with him. I'd be willing to offer a 4th round pick.

Jevon Walker got traded for a 2nd (I think) rounder, and Moulds for a 5th. Lelie for a 4th rounder sounds about right.

Mr. Pink
06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Lelie is the classic Combine freak who was drafted higher than he should have been. Ran something like a 4.29 40 at Indy. Problem is, he's ALWAYS hurt.

That sounds like someone we have on this team! Andre Davis ring a bell?

To anyone who says they would be interested in Lelie why? We have no use for him. Lelie/Davis are pretty much interchangable in skill set.

FlyingDutchman
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
I would take a chance with him. I'd be willing to offer a 4th round pick.

Jevon Walker got traded for a 2nd (I think) rounder, and Moulds for a 5th. Lelie for a 4th rounder sounds about right.

In a heartbeat, I think thats what the price should be. I guess Shanahan hasnt been keepin up with the market value.

Bulldog
06-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Shanahan is still trying to get the Clarette pick back. I still can't understand why on gods green earth he spent a 3rd rounder on him. What a waste.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-30-2006, 01:57 AM
That sounds like someone we have on this team! Andre Davis ring a bell?

To anyone who says they would be interested in Lelie why? We have no use for him. Lelie/Davis are pretty much interchangable in skill set.

Actually, Davis has been more productive, when healthy, than Lelie. Despite his potential and high average per reception, Denver fans will also tell you that Lelie has bad hands and does not get open consistently. Shanahan gave Lelie every opportunity to take over the # 1 WR spot from Rod Smith the last two seasons and Lelie could not do it because of his inconsistency (I know this because I had Rod Smith on my FFL teams both years and followed what was happening with this closely).

Given the Bills' needs and Lelie's history, I would not give up a draft choice, even a 5th rounder, for Lelie. Lelie is a name because he was a 1st round draft pick, so a lot of people may think that he would be worth going after because they have heard of him, but he has done little, in terms of consistent productivity to merit the attention that he has gotten. Price and, when healthy, Davis have done more.

Mr. Pink
06-30-2006, 03:27 AM
Actually, Davis has been more productive, when healthy, than Lelie. Despite his potential and high average per reception, Denver fans will also tell you that Lelie has bad hands and does not get open consistently. Shanahan gave Lelie every opportunity to take over the # 1 WR spot from Rod Smith the last two seasons and Lelie could not do it because of his inconsistency (I know this because I had Rod Smith on my FFL teams both years and followed what was happening with this closely).

Given the Bills' needs and Lelie's history, I would not give up a draft choice, even a 5th rounder, for Lelie. Lelie is a name because he was a 1st round draft pick, so a lot of people may think that he would be worth going after because they have heard of him, but he has done little, in terms of consistent productivity to merit the attention that he has gotten. Price and, when healthy, Davis have done more.

Ok apparently we have not followed Andre Davis' career. Andre Davis was supposed to take over the number 2 receiver in Cleveland behind Quincy Morgan following the release of Kevin Johnson.

Andre was not good enough/healthy enough to be able to fully take on this role at any point. About the only route Davis can run is a streak pattern, he has decent size but he plays like he's brittle. Then again when you get constantly injured that might something to do with that. He fell further and further down the pecking order in Cleveland and found himself below such luminary talents as Brandon Rideaux and Frisman Jackson. Andre was traded because he lost his last role on the Browns franchise as kick returner to an UDFA. This UDFA was Joshua Cribbs who was a college QB.

Then! He went through another injury plagued season with the Patriots, which is of no surprise to anyone who followed him as a Brown. He isn't a receiver that commanded anywhere near a high salary and obviously the Patriots can judge talent. Yet, even though they lost every receiver on their roster besides Deion Branch, at the time Troy Brown was undecided about retiring....they still had NO desire to re-sign Davis.

Davis got plenty of notoriety as well, and his stock rose because of combine and workout. He became a second round pick despite not being a 2nd round caliber player. Much like Lelie was never a 1st round caliber player. However looking at their stats and health, obviously Lelie was worth a higher draft choice than Davis.

However when you compare stats, which is easy to do, considering they've both put in 4 years in the NFL in service. Lelie has outperformed Davis in EVERY statistical category minus TDs in his NFL career. He's also stayed FAR more healthier during his NFL career.

They've both been classic underachievers as far as NFL players....they both are the same type of receiver...which is exactly my point, why would anyone want more of the same type player on this team? The only thing better about Lelie is he can actually stay healthy and contribute, which is why his stats are better. Not too mention Lelie has played behind Rod Smith his entire career, while Davis has been behind a bunch of scrubs.