PDA

View Full Version : Mike Grier no longer a Sabre

Bill Brasky
06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Veteran forward Mike Grier (http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/players/playerpage/19619) is prepared to test free agency after the Buffalo Sabres (http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/teams/page/BUF) said they aren't likely to re-sign him.

Grier's agent, Jay Fee, said his client is open to returning to Buffalo and the two sides haven't ruled out making a deal later this summer. The NHL's free-agency period begins Saturday.

"We'll see," Fee said Wednesday. "It's not like at this point it's a 'See you later,' type thing."

Grier is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career, but unsure what he's worth on the open market after making $1.36 million in salary last year.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier, was not immediately available for comment, but has previously said he expected all three of Buffalo's unrestricted free-agent regulars -- Grier and defensemen Jay McKee and Teppo Numminen -- to test free agency.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9531039

Michael82
06-28-2006, 04:07 PM
WTF! He was a big part of this team this year. I thought he improved a lot and loved watching him play. :mad:

I guess ddaryl and others are right. we are going to tear the team apart that was one period away from the Stanley Cup Finals. :ill:

:curse:

PcA125
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
:crap::wail:

chernobylwraiths
06-28-2006, 04:50 PM
WTF! He was a big part of this team this year. I thought he improved a lot and loved watching him play. :mad:

I guess ddaryl and others are right. we are going to tear the team apart that was one period away from the Stanley Cup Finals. :ill:

$1.5 million for a gritty player it just too much. He's good defensively but not very good, he doesn't add offensively much. I just don't think you sign a guy for that much because he is Drury's friend. I say anything more than what he made last year is too much.

SABURZFAN
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
i hate to see grier go but we can pick up somebody more productive at that price.

Michael82
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
$1.5 million for a gritty player it just too much. He's good defensively but not very good, he doesn't add offensively much. I just don't think you sign a guy for that much because he is Drury's friend. I say anything more than what he made last year is too much.
yeah, u are right $1.5 is too much. But i just worry that they are going to go the cheap route with all these players....i'd HATE to lose McKee, Grier, and Numminen all in one off season. :ill:

BlackMetalNinja
06-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Talent wise, we can afford him to go away, however, like you sayd Mikey... He is a gritty player and provides a certain toughness and the ever important veteran leadership as well. Those aspects will be sorely missed.

Plus I always liked having a token black guy on our team!

YardRat
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I think he's worth 1.5. Maybe he'll end up coming back for the same, or slightly reduced, salary.

SkateZilla
06-28-2006, 06:12 PM
There Are Pluses An Minus's,

Minus .... A Huge, Im Talking Catastrophic Hole on the PK ......

Plus .... We Can Test a Better Forward w/ Drury andthe PK can Be Adjusted,

I Love GRier and He is a awesome player,

but do you know how many breakaway's he's had last year and didnt even get a shot on goal with them? (well other than that 1 in the dying seconds of game 3 or 4 of the philly series)

Seriously, a Healthy Connolly can take his spot, Timmy and Roy on PK was Lethal...

Bye Bye Grier, We'll Miss You Because we know the Sabres Wont offer teh $$$ to keep you here... :respect:

mchurchfie
06-28-2006, 08:29 PM
The Sabres are better off to let him test the market and see what he is worth rather than overpay him $1.5 mil. They might be able to get him back for a mill because I don't think that he is going to command a lot of money or interest on the open market. I'd love to see him come back though.

ddaryl
06-29-2006, 02:13 AM
Hopefully that's the case. He'll get a chance to test, and then the Sabres can offer him market value.

But I think its more about freeing up cash to sign a few other of our RFA's to long term deals and then fillin gin a few players we let walk with cheap Rochester Americans and other inexpensive pickups.

We'll see what happens, but IMO this team will see 4-6 FA's walk. That a big chunck of that team chemistry.

and yes I'm very paranoid when it comes to the Sabres payroll, and adding the missing pieces.

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2006, 07:55 AM

He is expendable, we have a major surplus at forward. Are you the same guy that was freaking out we didn't sign Leclair and Rechi and the like to big contracts last year?

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Plus he isn't gone for sure. We can still sign him for less money.

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
The Sabres are better off to let him test the market and see what he is worth rather than overpay him $1.5 mil. They might be able to get him back for a mill because I don't think that he is going to command a lot of money or interest on the open market. I'd love to see him come back though.
I agree 100%

RockStar36
06-29-2006, 09:58 AM
The Sabres will be fine. Anyone who thinks they are going to tear this team apart is crazy. Get a grip.

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
exactly they are going to re tool. I think Reiger has earned our trust at this point hasn't he?

RockStar36
06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
He earned mine, but I can't speak for everyone.

G Wolly
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Mike Grier was my favorite. Darcy's just racist.

Michael82
06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
He is expendable, we have a major surplus at forward. Are you the same guy that was freaking out we didn't sign Leclair and Rechi and the like to big contracts last year?
nope.

THATHURMANATOR
06-29-2006, 12:45 PM
nope.
Nope he is not expendable or nope you arent that guy?

Michael82
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm not that guy.

PUCKER
06-30-2006, 02:23 AM
A bunch of BS if they dont sign him. :mad:

mchurchfie
06-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Nope. he doesn't like women.:limp::D