PDA

View Full Version : PFW's spin on the Price situation

Romes
02-17-2003, 06:18 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2002/spins021703.htm

Concerning TD putting the ball in Price's court:

PFW: Does this set the stage for Price’s exit from Buffalo?

Holbrook: It certainly looks that way. As Donahoe said, it’s really up to Price at this point. If he wants to be paid like a No. 1 receiver, he’ll have to go elsewhere since the Bills are in the midst of paying Moulds, an All-Pro, a six-year, $40 million deal. If Price decides he likes his situation in Buffalo, playing with a top-flight quarterback like Bledsoe and serving as a key component to an explosive offense, the Bills would love to have him back — at the right price.

Nothing new here.

PFW: Is Price better off somewhere else?

Holbrook: I don’t think so. It’s curious to me that Price had his best season in a contract year. He made positive strides his first three seasons but was still an underachiever until this past season when he found himself working with skilled players like Bledsoe, Moulds and RB Travis Henry. I think Price is an outstanding No. 2 receiver, but not a No. 1. He needs someone like Moulds to draw the main focus of a defense and allow Price to work against a No. 2 or No. 3 corner and exploit that matchup.

I like the fact that this guy thinks Buffalo is the best place for Price. I like what he says here and would like to believe that it is true.

PFW: Can the Bills overcome the loss of Price?

Holbrook: I think they can. They’re very high on WR Josh Reed, who showed flashes of brilliance as a rookie last season. He’s a former running back who’s tough and showed an ability to catch nearly everything thrown his way. The Bills would need to find a productive third receiver for depth, but with Bledoe, Moulds and Henry as the core of this offense, the Bills are in good shape.

I like what he says here too. We do have our "Big 3" (Bledsoe, Henry, Moulds) Price was the 4th. Bledsoe, Henry and Moulds make for a great core to any offense. Add a good, improving OL and we already have more weapons on offense than most other teams do.

This guy Holbrook seemed to be trying to make the point that, yes Price can go somewhere else and make more money but his best chance for success would be in Buffalo. His secondary point was that the Bills would still be in good shape on offense even if Price did leave. I like his points. :D

ArcticWildMan
02-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Of course, Price's agent probably had a total fit when he read that :D

northernbillfan
02-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Nice find Cal, er I mean Romes.

With Josh Reed waiting in the wings, and looking ever so capable of filling Prices shoes, who needs an ego like that?

TigerJ
02-17-2003, 06:47 PM
I think PFW is exactly right. The odds are Price goes elsewhere makes a ton of money and never is a threat to make the probowl again.

Doc
02-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Price will walk, if the Bills don't tag him. Basically it's make less and remain #2 or make more and be the man unless/until you prove you can't hack it. Seeing as no one knows the future, and since he's got confidence, he'll take option #2. If he fails, at least he made a ton of money. If he succeeds, so much the better for him. I say concentrate replacing him with a speed 3rd WR and a threat at TE and improve the defense.

EDS
02-18-2003, 07:28 AM
I agree with Doc. There seem to be some talented receivers available for bargain prices in free agency. Granted, they will all have some baggage such as injury and inconsistency. If the Bears cut Marucs Robinson, and he is healthy, he would be a good fit as a number 3 receiver.

ublinkwescore
02-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Either way you look at it, we're in great shape for next season.