PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating and ranking all the NFL owners, from 1-32

Mitchy moo
06-30-2006, 11:00 AM
27. Ralph Wilson, - Well did you expect him to be higher?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/06/29/open.mike/index.html

ICE74129
06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
I expected about 30th.

"Wilson, perhaps the league's least progressive owner, whines so much he makes Weaver look like Jimmy Stewart at the end of It's a Wonderful Life. Even after big-market owners like Kraft and Snyder, in a quest for labor peace, embraced a compromise that would transfer some of their revenues into Wilson's coffers, Wilson threw a public tantrum and voted against the proposal. "

Well past time for a new owner.

OpIv37
06-30-2006, 01:56 PM
wilson gets points for longevity but overall this franchise has struggled. And they're right about the least progressive thing- Ralph still acts like it's the 1970's sometimes. Given the fact that the Bills have struggled for 6 straight seasons and they've had a coaching carousel, I expected him to be fairly low.

!Papacrunk!
06-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Huizenga #4
:couch:

MDFINFAN
06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Huizenga #4
:couch:

:bandwagon

YardRat
06-30-2006, 09:19 PM
1. Robert Kraft, Patriots; 2. Jerry Jones, Cowboys 3. Dan Snyder, Redskins

Puh-leeze.

No credibility whatsoever.

PromoTheRobot
06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
1. Robert Kraft, Patriots; 2. Jerry Jones, Cowboys 3. Dan Snyder, Redskins???

Well that answers my question about what the criteria was. The question should have been "Who are the biggest pimps in the NFL?"

If the rating was for what owner has done more for his fans and the league, then I think Ralph would be rated higher.

PTR

Bling
06-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Billy fans got their homer googles on...

Mr. Cynical
07-01-2006, 01:26 AM
While I think the game has passed Ralph, I do agree that putting Jones and Snyder at #2 and #3 blows this guy's credibility.

Jones made one good decision - hiring JJ (as much as I loathe that a**hole I give him credit for knowing talent). Other than that he's done nothing. I mean his teams have gone nowhere. And Snyder? What have his teams ever won? Biggest Paycheck Contest?

gr8slayer
07-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Jerry Jones should be number one.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Jerry Jones should be number one.

He is a good marketer.

YardRat
07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
He is a good marketer.

Dallas was labeled 'America's Team' long before Jerry Jones showed up with his 'marketing skills'. Just another example of a new owner riding the wave created by his predecessors.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Dallas was labeled 'America's Team' long before Jerry Jones showed up with his 'marketing skills'. Just another example of a new owner riding the wave created by his predecessors.

Bob Kraft didn't do that.

YardRat
07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Bob Kraft didn't do that.

Any owner that bought his team after the revenue sharing concept was put in place did. Including Kraft.

Jimmy James
07-02-2006, 07:02 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, Kraft didn't ride much of a wave of anything. The Patriots were a darn sorry franchise for most of my life.

I honestly think Wayne should be #2 right behind him, though. Wayne seriously screwed the Marlins, but he has been ever faithful to the Dolphins. The only decision I can seriously take issue with is the decision to keep Wanny on in 2004 instead of firing him.

Jones probably does deserve his high place overall, but Snyder does not. He got Gibbs, but even a blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn.

Mike Brown deserves to be ahead of Ralph. He doesn't deserve any more than that, though.

Bidwell deserves to be in last place.

patmoran2006
07-02-2006, 10:15 PM
The best owner is one who doesnt pretend to know everything about football and hires the right people in the front office to see the team is run properly.

Kraft..
And for the record, Wilson has been a very genuine, if not all-around successful owner. Most owners would've abandoned Buffalo long ago, some of you guys forget that too much.

Mitchy moo
07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
As much as it pains me to say it, Kraft didn't ride much of a wave of anything. The Patriots were a darn sorry franchise for most of my life.

For most of mine as well, The pats stunk for a long-long-time.

ICE74129
07-03-2006, 09:01 AM

I honestly think Wayne should be #2 right behind him, though. Wayne seriously screwed the Marlins, but he has been ever faithful to the Dolphins. The only decision I can seriously take issue with is the decision to keep Wanny on in 2004 instead of firing him.

Jones probably does deserve his high place overall, but Snyder does not. He got Gibbs, but even a blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn.

Mike Brown deserves to be ahead of Ralph. He doesn't deserve any more than that, though.

Bidwell deserves to be in last place.

exactly. Kraft took over the absolute worst franchise in football. Then using the exact same opportunities Ralph Wilson had, has turned it into one of the best franchises in football and 3x superbowl winners.

Amazing how kraft worked his arse off and they became winners. Buffalo...????

Historian
07-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Ralph has medled when he shouldn't have....and he's been hands off when he should have been involved.

He's been cheap when he should have spent money, and he spent money when he should have streamlined.

He's got the opposite of the Midas touch.

He's from the old AFL school, that believes in the STAR system.

He has publicly embarrassed respected people like Polian, Phillips, Butler, and Knox. He's threatened to move the team on three occasions.

Those things leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

That being said, he's done a lot of good at the league level. It wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for him.

I would rank him from 12-15. He's no top 10 owner, but he's not 27th either.

Jan Reimers
07-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Anyone who would rank Kraft, Jones and Snyder as the NFL's three best owners must be using greed, arrogance and egomania as his most important criteria.

YardRat
07-04-2006, 08:52 AM
I would rank him from 12-15. He's no top 10 owner, but he's not 27th either.

That's fair.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BillsFever21
07-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Stop living in the past. This rating system should be based on what the owner has done in the past 5 years and what he is capable of doing in the future.

The good things Wilson did decades ago doesn't have any bearing on what he can accomplish today. In today's standards he is a terrible owner.

He isn't willing to pay the money it takes to bring in and keep a good coaching staff. He just hires the cheapest bums he can find and then wonders why they fail.

Way too many Bills fans live too far in the past. Whether it's the SB years or rating players who have lost a step like they're still in their prime, there is too much of it going on.

20 years ago Wilson was a pretty good owner. The past 7 years and what he brings to the table for the future, he is a terrible owner.

Historian
07-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, you have to look at the guys entire tenure to make an honest evaluation.

The last five seasons have been torture, no doubt.

The problem is...not every decision you make bears fruit. And while he may have cheaped out on Coaching talent, he has shelled out big bucks for some top flight players.

Think of it this way:

When we were winning every year, Marv used to say that it was a team effort that stretched beyond the Coaches and Players. He used to give credit to the gals in the ticket booths, the trainers, the groundskeepers for cripes sakes.....And he was right.

That's what the Bills have been lacking for the last several seasons. I don't think they had a coherent business plan, football plan, and overall operations plan in place under TD.

That's why I'm betting that Levy turns things around. He is a master organizer.

Oh and guys...I know you all love to wallow in negativity and self pity...but please...try to enjoy the season anyways.

Your Historian will be.

:up: