PDA

View Full Version : Jay McKee: "I'm very dissapointed with Buffalo"

Bill Brasky
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Un f'n real.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/06/30/1661210-sun.html

McKee also will head for free agency after turning down a multi-year offer from the Buffalo Sabres believed to be worth just slightly more than $2 million per season.
"I'm very disappointed with Buffalo," McKee, 28, said in a phone interview.

"I understand they might want to stay within a budget, but you also want to feel appreciated for all the years of service you put in there."

McKee, a Kingston native, has a soft spot for the Leafs.

"When you grow up cheering for a team like I did with the Leafs, you understand they had a lot to do with you reaching the NHL," said McKee, believed to be seeking a multi-year deal worth between $3 million and $4 million.

------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Jay will sign a 3 Year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs tommorrow July 1st:

1st yr.-$ 2,750,000
2nd yr.-$3,000,000
team option 3rd yr- $3,150,000

T-Nasty24
06-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks like the Bills aren't the only cheap ****s!

chernobylwraiths
06-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Bill Brasky
06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
not really. Sabres are the farm system for the NHL.

Bill Brasky
06-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Awesome that he was had for 3 million and Darcy offered him 2.

It really would have broke the bank to give him an extra million?!

I AM PISSED :fury:

chernobylwraiths
06-30-2006, 04:48 PM

Tell me about it. Many saw this coming last year. I hope this doesn't turn into a same old Sabres management thing.

T-Nasty24
06-30-2006, 04:49 PM

Right! Darcy=Donahoe

SkateZilla
06-30-2006, 07:41 PM
oh wow, they p[ay him 700K more a year.. thats BS.....

:respect:

RockStar36
06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
You know what pisses me off?

20 minutes away from the Stanley Cup. 20 minutes. And yet the Sabres management is more concerned w/ the cheap ass budget. Spend a few more million and bring in the missing pieces to the puzzle. You gotta spend money to make money.

YardRat
06-30-2006, 08:43 PM
McKee may be damaged goods. Look what happened to Leonard Smith after suffering a similar infection.

I hate to see Jay go, though.

RockStar36
06-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Honestly...if the difference is really as little as the article claims, I would think that McKee would take the hometown discount.

SkateZilla
06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Honestly In the long run this may be a good thing,

Jay has a History of Knee and Shin Injuries, and Blocking shots all Last Season + the Staf Infection just makes him more prone to yet even more injuries, I Can See toronto Paying Him 3.0 Mill for him to sit in the Press box with a broken [insert Leg bone name here]

Tallinder and Lydman Play Well, Campbell Played Great down the stretch, So did Fitzy believe it or not...

So We Have 4 Defensmen to Base off Of, I Think Janik, Paetsh, and Maybe even Perrson (spelling?) lmao Seriously this kid Look like he's a Pure heavy hitter, ..... give him the summer to "Buff Up" have a Good training camp, pair him with Janik or Paetsh... viola...:respect:

theres also some great Free Agents that would go for 1 Million or less from other teams.. Mitchell, Wiit, etc etc

RockStar36
07-01-2006, 12:29 AM
I was listening to WGR a few days ago and Brad Riter made a great point. In today's NHL what is more important? Signing one defenseman for 4-5 million or signing 2 or 3 defenseman for the same amount. I mean, you pay that much for one person and they get hurt, your team will be screwed.

SkateZilla
07-01-2006, 03:15 AM
I was listening to WGR a few days ago and Brad Riter made a great point. In today's NHL what is more important? Signing one defenseman for 4-5 million or signing 2 or 3 defenseman for the same amount. I mean, you pay that much for one person and they get hurt, your team will be screwed.

Like I said, If he Gets 3+ Mill From toronto, he'll prolly spend most of the season in the press box w/ a [insert leg part] Injury, comentating and telling us what his team is doing wrong :)

SABURZFAN
07-01-2006, 05:35 AM
good-bye jay. :bigwave:

Nighthawk
07-01-2006, 08:59 AM

Yes, it would. I love Jay McKee, but he is not worth 3-4 million dollars a year. He wasn't even one of our top 3 defenseman. You have to take a step back and look at the whole picture and where he fit in. Tallinder, Lydman & Kalinen...those are our top defenseman and what do you think they would ask for if McKee got that much money? Would I like McKee back? Hell yeah, but not at the risk of having to overpay him.

Nighthawk
07-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Honestly In the long run this may be a good thing,

Jay has a History of Knee and Shin Injuries, and Blocking shots all Last Season + the Staf Infection just makes him more prone to yet even more injuries, I Can See toronto Paying Him 3.0 Mill for him to sit in the Press box with a broken [insert Leg bone name here]

Tallinder and Lydman Play Well, Campbell Played Great down the stretch, So did Fitzy believe it or not...

So We Have 4 Defensmen to Base off Of, I Think Janik, Paetsh, and Maybe even Perrson (spelling?) lmao Seriously this kid Look like he's a Pure heavy hitter, ..... give him the summer to "Buff Up" have a Good training camp, pair him with Janik or Paetsh... viola...:respect:

theres also some great Free Agents that would go for 1 Million or less from other teams.. Mitchell, Wiit, etc etc

Excellent post!

The_Philster
07-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Honestly...if the difference is really as little as the article claims, I would think that McKee would take the hometown discount.
Who knows? Maybe when all is said and done, that's what he'll do. :idunno:

:pray:

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Haha, we are already rationalizing how much Jay sucks and that we can bring in a rookie to take his spot. We have also moved him down the depth chart really far.

Jay was one of our top two defensemen IMO and he will be sorely missed. Not only will his shot blocking be missed but so will his leadership on the blue line. If anyone was better, it was Tallinder, and I saw a lot of people before last year wanting this guy gone from the team because he was so inconsistant. Tallinder far exceeded everyone's expectations and he also covered up a lot of Lydman's shortcomings. From what I saw of Lydman, he played ok, but gave the puck away many times and did not always make smart plays. Numminen was on the shelf a bit and could not be counted on when it counted most. Plus, his heart condition will always be there and he isn't getting any younger. And Kalinin only STARTED playing well at the end of the season, for the rest of the season people were saying how disappointing he was this season. Campbell had a career year, but he is an offensive defenseman and a bit of a liability at defense.

I am glad that some here are bracing themselves for Janick and Paetch though because I'm sure we will see a lot of them next year. I bet they pay Numminen more than they offered Jay. I just don't think that Jay should be maligned because he finally wants to get a little money, and I don't think his demands were that out of line.

Michael82
07-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Haha, we are already rationalizing how much Jay sucks and that we can bring in a rookie to take his spot. We have also moved him down the depth chart really far.

Jay was one of our top two defensemen IMO and he will be sorely missed. Not only will his shot blocking be missed but so will his leadership on the blue line. If anyone was better, it was Tallinder, and I saw a lot of people before last year wanting this guy gone from the team because he was so inconsistant. Tallinder far exceeded everyone's expectations and he also covered up a lot of Lydman's shortcomings. From what I saw of Lydman, he played ok, but gave the puck away many times and did not always make smart plays. Numminen was on the shelf a bit and could not be counted on when it counted most. Plus, his heart condition will always be there and he isn't getting any younger. And Kalinin only STARTED playing well at the end of the season, for the rest of the season people were saying how disappointing he was this season. Campbell had a career year, but he is an offensive defenseman and a bit of a liability at defense.

I am glad that some here are bracing themselves for Janick and Paetch though because I'm sure we will see a lot of them next year. I bet they pay Numminen more than they offered Jay. I just don't think that Jay should be maligned because he finally wants to get a little money, and I don't think his demands were that out of line.
Didn't many people say that Darcy Regier got lucky? It turns out they may have been right. It seems that the piece of **** is up to his same cheap pathetic self. :shakeno:

He needs to learn that you totally tear apart the foundation of a team that was 1 ****ING period away from the Stanley Cup Finals! WTF!!! And we wonder why Buffalo never does anything...it's because we have had dumbass GMs running the teams. :ill:

JD
07-01-2006, 10:29 AM
You know what, **** Jay McKee.. money hungry son of a *****. What the **** do you need another million for?? Play hockey for the game, not the paycheck you ****ing loser. I hope our young players dont turn into chumps like him.

I could honestly careless, all he did was block shots...clear the puck...he couldnt skate..couldnt score, and when he did..it was a fluke shot. He'll suck it up in toronto.

Michael82
07-01-2006, 10:31 AM
You know what, **** Jay McKee.. money hungry son of a *****. What the **** do you need another million for?? Play hockey for the game, not the paycheck you ****ing loser. I hope our young players dont turn into chumps like him.

I could honestly careless, all he did was block shots...clear the puck...he couldnt skate..couldnt score, and when he did..it was a fluke shot. He'll suck it up in toronto.
:roflmao:

You do realize that most players do the same thing now. It's all about the benjamins. Those who don't pay the money end up losing out in the long run. :sigh:

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2006, 10:37 AM
It's all nice an everything to SAY, "Play for the love of the game" but if you know you will get a million more, you will take it. LOL at the people who say, "He's going to take a lousy million more". Like it is nothing.

JD
07-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Well when you play for as long as he has, I'm sure he has enough banked to buy a small country.

Michael82
07-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Well when you play for as long as he has, I'm sure he has enough banked to buy a small country.
Doesn't matter. Let's say another company offers you to more than double your current pay to leave, even if you were there for 10 years and liked everybody. So you go to your boss and he offers you only a 25% raise. What would you do? I bet ab about 80-90% of the people here would say goodbye to their current job and bolt for the 50% pay raise. The fact that the Sabres only offered him a 25% increase is a ****ing slap in the face. And they will regret it IMO.

don137
07-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Doesn't matter. Let's say another company offers you to more than double your current pay to leave, even if you were there for 10 years and liked everybody. So you go to your boss and he offers you only a 25% raise. What would you do? I bet ab about 80-90% of the people here would say goodbye to their current job and bolt for the 50% pay raise. The fact that the Sabres only offered him a 25% increase is a ****ing slap in the face. And they will regret it IMO.

I agree for the most part...The one difference is some play for the cup...Teams that are rumored tp want McKee are Toronto and the Rangers. Now I know the Rangers had a decent season but they rely too much on Jagr and I feel both teams are not close to a cup. Some players will play for that chance to raise the cup. That chance decreases for McKee if he goes to either Toronto or the Rangers.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2006, 04:38 PM
When you are young, you play for as much money as you can so that you can afford to take little for a chance at the cup at the end of your career.