• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Thoughts on McKee

I'm sad to see him go, but look at how some of these teams are spending...

Boston and Toronto both tied up nearly half of their money alloted under the cap to sign 4 players.

Canucks tied up nearly 14 million to have Luongo and Naslund.

Teams seem to be taking the same approach as this did last year, which was get out of the gate and sign big names quickly no matter the cost. Meanwhile, the Sabres take the same approach and continue to save $$ and build for depth.

I guess it's good in our favor if the results end up being the same. But if the league continues on this trend, the pressure on Buffalo and Roch to develop younger guys becomes more intense due to the fact that they won't be able to sign or retain big name players.

discuss.
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: Thoughts on McKee

Originally posted by jfreeman
    I'm sad to see him go, but look at how some of these teams are spending...

Boston and Toronto both tied up nearly half of their money alloted under the cap to sign 4 players.

Canucks tied up nearly 14 million to have Luongo and Naslund.

Teams seem to be taking the same approach as this did last year, which was get out of the gate and sign big names quickly no matter the cost. Meanwhile, the Sabres take the same approach and continue to save $$ and build for depth.

I guess it's good in our favor if the results end up being the same. But if the league continues on this trend, the pressure on Buffalo and Roch to develop younger guys becomes more intense due to the fact that they won't be able to sign or retain big name players.

discuss.

I can understand fiscal responsibility, but it will be to the teams detriment if they don't step up and at least meet a player (like McKee) halfway. In an article in the paper, he says he didn't know his value and it seemed as if he was offered around 3 million from the Sabres he might have jumped on it. I think it was mostly the years he was interested in though, he wanted at least 4 years which at his age wouldn't have been bad. $12 million isn't overly bad, but the Sabres offered him a "non-negotiable" three year contract and that is as much a slap in the face as can be.

The only thing that bothers me is that the NHL's salary cap raised about $5 million which, without a major television contract, shifts more financial strain on the smaller clubs. If that trend continues, it will spell a death nell to the small markets without a major television contract. I can only hope that ESPN steps up and offers at least a partial package to the NHL for next year to ease the strain.

I'm not faulting Darcy or the Sabres for not signing any of these major free agents as I never expected it. I just fault them for not dealing with McKee in good faith and making a decent offer.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
      I just fault them for not dealing with McKee in good faith and making a decent offer.

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

Its not how you start out of the gate its how you finish the race...last year the Sabres went the the conference championships and probably would of won the cup if they had not had so many injuries...
        I am not going to fault not signing McKee...Buffalo is different than many hockey cities. They can't spend big money on a player or else someone better like Tallinder will want more when his contract is up and then it will really throw off the pay scale on the team and they will lose too many of the players...I feel like a lot of the players that sign contracts for big money will notplay out there contract, Many do not have guaranteed contracts so when they have a bad year they will be cut (i.e. Bill Guerin). While I wish we could sign some studs reality Buffalo can not do that. Accept it for what it is....Darcy will do the best with what he can. Frustrating as it is but it is reality...

Comment

• SkateZilla
          • Dec 2002

Sad to see him go as well, he had a great season, but he is Prine to injuries from the way he plays... just thank god that he went to St. Louis so we wont have to see him during the regular season :) *Much...

Skate Zilla
          -----------------------
          Skate Zilla HD Studios:
          SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

I hope Reiger's grand plan is worthy, but my heart is in my throat right now.

Comment

• SkateZilla
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
              I hope Reiger's grand plan is worthy, but my heart is in my throat right now.
              My Stomach is in my throat
              Skate Zilla
              -----------------------
              Skate Zilla HD Studios:
              SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                I can understand fiscal responsibility, but it will be to the teams detriment if they don't step up and at least meet a player (like McKee) halfway. In an article in the paper, he says he didn't know his value and it seemed as if he was offered around 3 million from the Sabres he might have jumped on it. I think it was mostly the years he was interested in though, he wanted at least 4 years which at his age wouldn't have been bad. $12 million isn't overly bad, but the Sabres offered him a "non-negotiable" three year contract and that is as much a slap in the face as can be.

The only thing that bothers me is that the NHL's salary cap raised about $5 million which, without a major television contract, shifts more financial strain on the smaller clubs. If that trend continues, it will spell a death nell to the small markets without a major television contract. I can only hope that ESPN steps up and offers at least a partial package to the NHL for next year to ease the strain.

I'm not faulting Darcy or the Sabres for not signing any of these major free agents as I never expected it. I just fault them for not dealing with McKee in good faith and making a decent offer.
                Great post!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

I knew this was going to happen when the Sabres were in the playoffs it was an addition for most of these players.....I knew that Mckee would get looked at all over and good for him...And now Grier is gone too........
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• PUCKER
                    • Sep 2004

It sucks to see him go and I have this bad feeling were going to lose quite a few more good players we should be able to keep.
                    Zapper's Hit List:
                    SABURZFAN -
                    SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
                    Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
                    http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

like i said in another thread.you can't blame a guy for doubling his paycheck.do some of you REALLY think he would have stayed if the Sabres offered $3 million a year.i don't think so.this so-called "hometown discount" that was being thrown around is a joke.with the taxes as bad as new york is,the weather,etc...i don't blame the guy for leaving.some of the homers will give it a fight about cost of living being lower but it holds no water.i was in a situation a couple of years ago where i could be working in Salamanca right now.yeah...the pay was lower but after comparing the cost of living and factoring in the tax situation,i would have been taking a major pay cut.i don't have to worry about being snowed in either.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                        • Sep 2003

Ah, the McKee "defection".....my most talked about Sabres-related topic in recent days, other than if Buffalo will walk away from the eventual raises guys like Danny, Campbell, Max, J.P., and Tallinder will get!

I know for a fact that the Buffalo blueline didn't entirely revolve around Jay McKee--I'd be a fool to think that. However, I am very disappointed that the continuing penny-pinching ways of the Sabres cost a defenseman who could've been locked up last year for far cheaper than the $4 million/season he got from St.Louis. I'm sure Jay didn't forget that he wasn't given his deal then, and it seems that he was given an even worse offer this time around. As chernobylwraiths said, I'd expect a far more credible and respectful offer to be made to a guy whose been on the team for 10 years. For shame, Darcy!

I know that the optimists are going to point to last season that not signing FAs isn't a total killer, and I know that it worked.....last season. However, getting to the Eastern Conference Final is admirable, but almost won't cut it in the salary cap NHL. Look at the NFL---There are teams every year that "almost" win the Super Bowl, but fall on their asses the next season. You can't almost win it and then expect to get right back to the dance now in the NHL. The Sabres can't expect the draft & Rochester to get them to the ECF or SC Final every year.

That being said, I remain a fan.

Comment

• JD
                          Sabres Zone
                          • Sep 2003

Thoughts on McKee
                          peace *****!
                          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                          X