View Full Version : Grier to San Jose

Crisis
07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/207631.html

3 years, 1.75 mil per.

Damn. Wish we kept on to him.

ddaryl
07-03-2006, 12:53 PM
don't worry the rest of the team is going to follow suit as soon as they hit their UFA

There isn't a player in the league that is going to stay with the Sabres when they finally earn their UFA rights. You can only short change, budget, and insist upon short term contracts that do not offer the player the security they deserve for the efforts we expect before the entire league takes notice and tries to avoid the Sabres like the plague.

Grier is replaceable, but he also was keepable. McKee won't be replaceable for what the Sabres are willing to spend.

Earthquake Enyart
07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
That's $250,000 per goal.

Crisis
07-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Reading a stat-line doesn't make a player.

He PKs well, he was a huge physical force in the playoffs as well as the regular season, and Drury had his best season with him.

We shouldn't of short-changed Grier for what he brings, I could've lived with him for this price.

SkateZilla
07-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Reading a stat-line doesn't make a player.

He PKs well, he was a huge physical force in the playoffs as well as the regular season, and Drury had his best season with him.

We shouldn't of short-changed Grier for what he brings, I could've lived with him for this price.

We Have Mair and Guastad to do that at like 1/5th the $$ :respect:

Gmcc24
07-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Thats why nobody ends up staying in Buffalo and why free agents rarely come to buffalo because of the way they're short changed. The Sharks are giving Grier $1.75 million a year. Are the Sabres saying they couldn't have given him that? This is bull**** and I don't know whether the lack of a splash in free agency is because of Regier, Golisano's unwillingness to spend or the fact that Free agents don't want to become to Buffalo for some reason. We lost 2 key players in McKee and Grier....and Briere may be on his way out next year if the frotn office doesn't step it up. He wants a long term contract, but they gave him a one year qualifying offer. He deserves a long contract. I dunno...i'm truly pissed

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2006, 05:28 PM
While I liked what Grier brought to the team, he was one of the types that definitely could be replaced at a lower salary. You can't pay guys like Grier that kind of salary when the rest of your team is getting a raise and you are trying to get guys like Miller and Briere under contract for a few more years. You have to pick and choose who you can pay and who you can't. IMO Grier was one that you couldn't but I felt McKee was one you could.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2006, 05:34 PM
How the tide turns. Golisano was being praised about how better of a owner he is then Ralph Wilson. When in fact he is cheaper owner then what Mr. Wilson is.

The only reason Golisano bought the Sabres is because he got them cheap. And nobody else wanted them.

Nighthawk
07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
The Sabres have more young players that can play better than Grier and that is why they let him go. Did you guys ever think that it was either him going or say, Pominville? Or maybe, Kotalik? Who would you rather lose? I for one would choose Grier. Stop looking for something yo b!tch about and let the offseason play out. If at the end of it they haven't filled the defensive hole, then there will be something to complain about. However, I'm not going to lose sleep over losing Grier or not overpaying McKee. So far, Regier has done the right thing on both accounts. Not many of you like hearing that, but it's true.

Gmcc24
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
The Sabres have more young players that can play better than Grier and that is why they let him go. Did you guys ever think that it was either him going or say, Pominville? Or maybe, Kotalik? Who would you rather lose? I for one would choose Grier. Stop looking for something yo b!tch about and let the offseason play out. If at the end of it they haven't filled the defensive hole, then there will be something to complain about. However, I'm not going to lose sleep over losing Grier or not overpaying McKee. So far, Regier has done the right thing on both accounts. Not many of you like hearing that, but it's true.

wow, angry much? lol

Nighthawk
07-03-2006, 10:58 PM
wow, angry much? lol

Not really...why? Because I don't agree with all the b!tching? I just understand what the Sabres are doing. Give them a chance.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
The SABRES were going to match SJ's offer but Grier wanted to go to SJ for family reasons

SabreEleven
07-04-2006, 12:22 AM
The SABRES were going to match SJ's offer but Grier wanted to go to SJ for family reasons

proof? link? Have Grier on your speed dial?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-04-2006, 12:32 AM

WGRZ ch 2 talked to him on the phone, it was on the sports tonight. Ch 2 news is on your side.

tampabay25690
07-04-2006, 12:40 AM

That makes no sense at all....GRIER is an EAST COAST GUY......His family is from the Boston area and that were he went tos chool....WHy would he want to go out WEST..........Face it the guy never stays in 1 place at all....

PUCKER
07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Dammit! :mad:

chernobylwraiths
07-04-2006, 07:46 AM

He's right and it is in the Buffalo News this morning. They were going to match $1.75 million for three years but Grier declined because he wasn't sure the direction of the club. He said something to the effect of "there are going to be a lot of unrestricted agents in a few years and it's going to be tough to keep everyone around". That says a LOT to me about how players perceive Darcy and the front office.

I think this is the THIRD person Darcy screwed up on. McKee had numbers that didn't reach too high before UFA started and Darcy lowballed him. Grier could have been offered a modest raise to 1.5 but I don't think he was offered anything, then they offer to match an even higher offer. I'm glad he didn't take it by the way, I thought that money was much too high for what he contributed. Then Numminen signs for a significant raise because of how much all the other teams were paying for defensemen.

Earthquake Enyart
07-05-2006, 06:20 AM
I don't care about Greer. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

SkateZilla
07-05-2006, 06:32 AM

lmao, you mean 12 for 10 cents

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 11:01 AM

I agree, that is why I was a little pissed when I saw that we offered to match that offer.

SABURZFAN
07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
i'm glad that we didn't match it.good luck to him and thanks for the services he provided when he was here. :peace:

pyrrhonist
07-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, the good news is that I'll be able to see at least 2 former Sabres here on the West Coast, when I take my wife to see the Sharks play. I'll say "hi" for you guys. ;)

hammerbillsfan
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Where you been pyrr? :beers:

pyrrhonist
07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Where you been pyrr? :beers:

During the latter part of the Eastern Final (About when I "disappeared"), I was getting infected with trojan horses by the ads running from the boards. It prompted my switch to Mozilla/Firefox (After being beaten in the head to do so for ages by my brother & friends), but I still got hit when I came back after the switch. The TH was an "IE Exploit", as it called itself. It wasn't until the past day or so that I dared to try again, in fears of the headache of having to clean my PC again.