PDA

View Full Version : Secondary depth no problem in Buffalo

The_Philster
07-04-2006, 04:52 AM
On a Buffalo Bills team that isn't exactly packed with championship-caliber talent, there's one area on the roster that nobody will be worrying about this season. That particular aspect is the defensive backfield, where the starters appear capable of stopping opposing passing games, and the backups behind them are nothing to scoff at.
more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/07/buffalo-bills-secondary040706.html)

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-04-2006, 08:40 AM
It really is amazing that we came away from the draft with Whitner, Youbouty and Simpson. Some publications thought Youbouty and Simpson were 1st round talent.
If these guys pan out, this could go down as a great DB draft.
I am completely happy with our defensive backfield, and if we have a successful season the depth there will likely be one of the main reasons.

jamze132
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
There are 2 areas on our team that I am not in the least worried about:

Our DBs and Special Teams. The rest still remains a question mark.

justasportsfan
07-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Maybe Marv deicded to take Whitner because of what happened last year. During Marv's era as the bills' HC, we were the ones breaking records playing the fins. While we weren't much of a team stopping the run last year, you didn't have players like Chambers having carreer days against us. We were the ones breaking records in the 90's.

Both the DL and db's go hand in hand. Sometimes when the db's lock down the wr's and TE's ,it gives our Dl time to get to the qb. When the DL get's there first , our db are spared from having to cover wr's for a lot of time.

If and when we aren't able to stop the run, it doesn't give teams 30-50 yard big plays that 1 pass can easily make.

In the end, I'm starting to love Marv's drafting mentallity. Before I get called out as a homer , I'm not saying we drafted the right players. That remains to be seen.just saying I like the way Marv is handling things. If our draft picks live up to their {ahem} potential, I don't think teams will be having carreer days against us anymore. We had a back up by the name of Sage torching us for crying out loud. That's embarrasing. The year before Feeley torched us in 1 qtr.

Don't forget, we are in a divsion that can throw. Yes, inspite of the reports that Brady's arm is weak, he threw for more yards than any qb last year. The fins have Culp. If he regains form, he can torch us if we're not ready. Although the jets have a china doll in Pennington and an unproven Ramsey, they have drafted an OL than can give their qb time to throw.

Just looking at our division, drafting db's seem logical. Lock down the wr's and give our DL who are being trained to get to the ball or qb quickly. :up: Hopefully , our DL can fly to the ball every down and have the qb's throw to our db's under pressure.

Mr. Pink
07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Just...you forget to take into account that every team in the afc east has a better ground game then we have, in my opinion, I'd take any other AFC East back over Willis, including Ricky when he decides it's in his interest to play.

All these teams can pound the ball down your throat when it's necessary...and you can plug any cover 2 safety into the system and he'll work out well.

Cover 2 is set up not to give up the 50 yard plays because no one is supposed to get behind the safeties, it keeps all the plays in front of you and focuses on you making open field tackles and capitalizing on opponents mistakes then toughening up in the redzone.

Problem is this, if teams can go 7-10 yards a pop on passing plays til they get to the redzone, our suspect run D will allow a team to run into the endzone 7 times out of 10.