PDA

View Full Version : Sabres Sign Spacek

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
according to GR55. 3 years, no money yet.

Earthquake Enyart
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Nice. Probably for less than McKee. And he plays a good point on the power play.

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Nice signing and at a key position.

gannd
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Grats on signing our Dman :crap:

He is a good guy, nice point shot, cant understand a word he says, pretty solid on D as he did have a +8 with half a season in Chicago last year.

Only problem is he dissapeared in the playoffs and made horrible horrible mistakes. I'm sure you guys didnt overpay as Buffalo is smarter than that. He made 2.25 mill last year and is worth 2.75-3 mill, but not a penny more with his inconsistant play.

3 year deal is fair.

RockStar36
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Grats on signing our Dman :crap:

He is a good guy, nice point shot, cant understand a word he says, pretty solid on D as he did have a +8 with half a season in Chicago last year.

Only problem is he dissapeared in the playoffs and made horrible horrible mistakes. I'm sure you guys didnt overpay as Buffalo is smarter than that. He made 2.25 mill last year and is worth 2.75-3 mill, but not a penny more with his inconsistant play.

3 year deal is fair.

He finished second among NHL defenseman with 14 points in 24 playoff games during the Oilers' postseason run.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2510111

gannd
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey I'm just giving you the poop on him. His points are powerplay points. And he does dissapear scoring wise when he doesnt play with pronger on the powerplay. He is very mortal when they switched him to play with Smith.

I never said it was a bad signing.

note: he is a better defensman than anything Toronto paid 5 million for.

RockStar36
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Fair enough. You would know a hell of alot more than me when dealing w/ Edmonton players.

Toronto is ******ed. I think that is pretty well established.

Gmcc24
07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I had a feeling that they would sign him....well until today, it was more wishful thinking than anything. It's good to know that Darcy isn't sleep lol

Philagape
07-05-2006, 04:08 PM
AP says about $10 million over three years.

SABURZFAN
07-05-2006, 04:11 PM
i want to hear NBF's opinion on this signing. :tap:

JD
07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
3.33mill a year?? is he REALLY worth that?

The_Philster
07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Is he really THAT much better than McKee? I'm sure Jay would've stayed for those bucks.

clumping platelets
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM

:mad:

JD
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Jays probably wondering....":wtf:"

Michael82
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, at least Darcy is doing something. Nice signing. :up:

I just wonder how CHEAP they got him for... :ontome:

The_Philster
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, at least Darcy is doing something. Nice signing. :up:

I just wonder how CHEAP they got him for... :ontome:
look up higher in the thread...AP reported it at 3 yrs, $10M

Michael82
07-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Okay, I just found a link....3 years for $10 million!?!? WTF! :mad:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/hockey/2040AP_HKN_Sabres_Spacek.html

If Darcy was willing to shell out that much for a defensemen, why the **** didn't he offer it to McKee? :curse:

:ill:

Michael82
07-05-2006, 04:53 PM
look up higher in the thread...AP reported it at 3 yrs, $10M

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
if that is what he signed him for, maybe he paniced? wasn't he quoted as saying the market for Dmen was moving faster than he expected? maybe he just signed him before the market got even more depleted.

however, it doesn't explain his logic for bailing on a guy who's put in 10 years here to sign a guy of decent talent, but certainly no better than what we had - a reliable dman with a knack for blocking shots.

Spacek - 3.3/year
McKee - 4.0/year

are the sabres really strapped for 700k?

Philagape
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I bet McKee would have stayed for what we're paying for Spacek

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Not for a 3 year deal.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
This is another aspect I don't understand.

They were willing to sign Spacek to a 3 year deal, locking him up until he's 35 essentially.

They wouldn't lock up McKee to a long term deal, say 4-6 years, at age 29... it would have been the same deal, maybe a little more money.

I just don't get it, really.

Looks like Darcy thought he could lowball through the market, only he misjudged it being a hot market as far as DMen go and ended up having to "overpay" (in his mind) for a suitable player before they were all taken.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Not for a 3 year deal.

True, McKee wanted at least a 4 year deal. What is up with the three year deal? Is the CBA in three more years already? Or is the TV contract up then?

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I think freeman and I are about on the same page with this team.

Michael82
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I bet McKee would have stayed for what we're paying for Spacek
I agree and thats what makes this sooo damn frustrating. :sigh:

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
How do you know that Mikey?

People are *****ing about this offseason very early. They are also sounding like people did last year too. Remember that? When everybody crapped all over Reiger, Ruff, Galisano and crew. All of the posts and threads abotu how much they sucked?

Somehow I think we owe them the benefit of the doubt.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
I agree and thats what makes this sooo damn frustrating. :sigh:
It's not the end of the world, Mikey. Spacek is a good player. He's not the same type of player, but he can do certain things that Jay couldn't.

Think about it like this... sure, we signed a guy a bit older, but now we have 2 veteran leaders on the blueline in Teppo and Spacek... team that with a core of younger guys like Campbell, Tallinder, Kalinin, Lydman, and others... it's not a bad combination. You can't put a price on veteran leadership. Just look how the team played last year without Teppo in the lineup. Add another vet to the roster and it only helps the younger guys mature quicker.

Would I have liked to keep McKee? Yes, other than TC and RM he's was probably my fav player on the squad.

Eventhough the team may regress in Jay's absent in certain on-ice aspects, Spacek can improve them in other areas.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 06:40 PM

People are *****ing about this offseason very early. They are also sounding like people did last year too. Remember that? When everybody crapped all over Reiger, Ruff, Galisano and crew. All of the posts and threads abotu how much they sucked?

With all due respect Dr. I will not give them the benefit of the doubt. Lindy undoubtely did a masterful job of coaching, I job I for one didn't think he would be able to do. Darcy signed Teppo and traded for Lydman. While Lydman was a good aquisition, I see it more as another decent D man on a team with some good young D men. Tallinder played out of his mind after people calling for him to be sent down the last time he played. Campbell was able to use his offensive talents in the new NHL so his defensive liabilities weren't as glaring, McKee was a human shield for the goalies, and Kalinin had a great second half after a subpar first half. Darcy really didn't do much except sign everyone to cheap one year deals. Now he has to resign a lot of players to longer term deals or risk losing them in the next few years. Darcy's biggest fault has always been waiting too long on making deals and a close second is his lowballing offers to players.

This is Darcy's first success with a team that he mainly built and a lot of that success has to do with "the new NHL" rules. So, I will not give him the benefit of the doubt. Keeping the team together was one of his priorities and he is screwing that up already. If he fails to make guys like Briere and especially Miller happy, then this team is in trouble.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 06:44 PM
If he fails to make guys like Briere and especially Miller happy, then this team is in trouble.

If this happens I would quit my job, drive all the way up to BUF, and protest until he personally hands me his resignation.

SABuffalo786
07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
You've got some big skates to fill, Jaroslav.

Don't blow it!

And welcome to Buffalo! Heh.

Michael82
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM

They are also sounding like people did in 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000 and all the other years too. :::

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
He is very mortal when they switched him to play with Smith.

note: he is a better defensman than anything Toronto paid 5 million for.

:rofl:

Michael82
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
With all due respect Dr. I will not give them the benefit of the doubt. Lindy undoubtely did a masterful job of coaching, I job I for one didn't think he would be able to do. Darcy signed Teppo and traded for Lydman. While Lydman was a good aquisition, I see it more as another decent D man on a team with some good young D men. Tallinder played out of his mind after people calling for him to be sent down the last time he played. Campbell was able to use his offensive talents in the new NHL so his defensive liabilities weren't as glaring, McKee was a human shield for the goalies, and Kalinin had a great second half after a subpar first half. Darcy really didn't do much except sign everyone to cheap one year deals. Now he has to resign a lot of players to longer term deals or risk losing them in the next few years. Darcy's biggest fault has always been waiting too long on making deals and a close second is his lowballing offers to players.

This is Darcy's first success with a team that he mainly built and a lot of that success has to do with "the new NHL" rules. So, I will not give him the benefit of the doubt. Keeping the team together was one of his priorities and he is screwing that up already. If he fails to make guys like Briere and especially Miller happy, then this team is in trouble.
Excellent Post! :bf1:

Nighthawk
07-05-2006, 07:10 PM

If Darcy was willing to shell out that much for a defensemen, why the **** didn't he offer it to McKee? :curse:

I agree with Darcy 100% on this one. From what I've heard, the Sabres have had their eye on Spacek for sometime now. He is a better defenseman than Mckee and that is why they were willing to pay him. Also, it's a 3 year deal and McKee wanted 4 years. Very good signing.

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
They are also sounding like people did in 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000 and all the other years too. :::

When the game was 100% different than it is now. And when the FA rules were different. And when there was no cap.

Trying to compare a current off-season to those is not comparing apple to oranges.

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 08:06 PM

Much if Darcy's lowballing came at the direction of upper management (i.e. Peca on the orders of the Rigas family.) He also is the one who resisted the cries of fans in previous years to make drastic changes. He organized and kept this team together and let talented players go that were bigger headaches than they were worth (i.e. Satan).

He built a team ready for the new rules. Maybe some of it (Pominville, Gaustad) were luck. Showing patience with Kalinin, Campbell, Tallinder, Max, Dumont and others was not. Acquiring Drury, Grier and Briere was not luck.

I also fail to see how he is not holding the team together. They lost two UFAs. At least one forward was on his way out. And at 1.8 million per, Grier is a good one to go. I think most of us felt McKee might leave. I don't like it either. But he was way overpaid.

Now if Miller does not get a good deal, I will not be happy either. Depending on Briere's demands, the same goes for him. But at this point, there istoo mch panicing going on.

don137
07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Spacek is a two way player where Jay was more one dimensional. I like McKee and I like Spacek. McKee is better at killing penalties where Spacek is better on the power play. They are different types of defensemen. As a result of there different playing style McKee may be younger in age but he also has more miles on him in terms of wear and tear from blocking so many shots. I am sure Darcy was looking for someone with more offensive punch and got his man in Spacek.
Criticize Darcy all you want but he has help build a team that has gone to 3 conference championships in 9 years with a payroll near the bottom of the league.

Dozerdog
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
10 million Vs 16 million- I bet McKeee would have walked

Dozerdog
07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
When the game was 100% different than it is now. And when the FA rules were different. And when there was no cap.

Trying to compare a current off-season to those is not comparing apple to oranges....and the team was bankrupt or operating with phoney books.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Much if Darcy's lowballing came at the direction of upper management (i.e. Peca on the orders of the Rigas family.) He also is the one who resisted the cries of fans in previous years to make drastic changes. He organized and kept this team together and let talented players go that were bigger headaches than they were worth (i.e. Satan).

That is opinion. While I'm sure the Rigas's told him to be fiscally responsible, it was him doing the negotiating and he was the one who brought up a last offer much closer to what Peca wanted well after Peca's imposed deadline. A good GM will convince an owner when to spend and when to stay away. I don't ming getting rid of Satan, but to not pick up his option and let him go with no compensation was an idiotic move IMO. The Islanders ended up paying him more anyway.

He built a team ready for the new rules. Maybe some of it (Pominville, Gaustad) were luck. Showing patience with Kalinin, Campbell, Tallinder, Max, Dumont and others was not. Acquiring Drury, Grier and Briere was not luck.

MAYBE some of it was luck? Drury was a good aquisition that was gotten for his playoff greatness and we didn't make the playoffs in his first year here. Briere is taylor made for this NHL but he was a good player before. Tallinder and Connolly this year isn't luck? Both of those guys were on their way out in 2003. It was MOSTLY luck!

I also fail to see how he is not holding the team together. They lost two UFAs. At least one forward was on his way out. And at 1.8 million per, Grier is a good one to go. I think most of us felt McKee might leave. I don't like it either. But he was way overpaid.

They lost McKee because he failed to forsee the NHL's need for defensemen. Darcy paid Spacek a salary that McKee very well might have accepted, maybe not. It was the years for Jay but who knows. The fact that he went cheap on a man who gave his career to this organization and sends a message. I didn't mind seeing Grier go, especially at that salary. I was a little miffed that he decided he would match that offer after the fact. Thankfully, Grier didn't accept. I like Grier, but players like him ARE plentiful. McKee was overpaid, but he said that he was looking for between 3 and 4 million per year and that is what they paid Spacek. I wish him luck, but you are right, he is overpaid now.

Now if Miller does not get a good deal, I will not be happy either. Depending on Briere's demands, the same goes for him. But at this point, there istoo mch panicing going on.

I'm not panicing. I'm just not happy with how he managed this situation and think it could have been handled much better. Maybe even keeping McKee and/or Grier for less.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Criticize Darcy all you want but he has help build a team that has gone to 3 conference championships in 9 years with a payroll near the bottom of the league.

He inherited a team that went to two conference championships. His moves had the team getting progressively worse and missed the playoffs for three straight years until a change in the game helped his team immensely.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 08:58 PM
10 million Vs 16 million- I bet McKeee would have walked

Looking at it that way, of course. But he didn't know what he was worth until after FA started.

All hindsight anyway and we shall see what happens. As it is, Spacek will help ease the loss of McKee if not his toughness. We will see what the coming weeks brings. I'm sure there are more deals on the way. I have a feeling we will be getting rid of Biron soon along with maybe Pyatt and/or a guy like Dumont. We can't pay em all a big raise. But we definitely will need some more toughness.

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I guess I see the main difference here. You attribute the Sabres success to Darcy's luck. I say he knew what he was doing. As for Briere, he had been exposed to waivers earlier in the year with no takers. Darcy then got him for Chris Gratton. To say that was not a wise move is not giving the man his due. As for Conolly and Tallinder, a less patient GM might have dumped them before this.

And, as Dozer pointed out, the team was bankrupt for a couple of those years with crooked owners. And to think that the Rigas's (Especially the one son) were willing to bend contradicts much of what has been reported. They did not want to budge.

Regardless, depending on what they get for Marty and a forward (I agree with your idea of Dumont) this might be a great off-season yet.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I guess I see the main difference here. You attribute the Sabres success to Darcy's luck. I say he knew what he was doing. As for Briere, he had been exposed to waivers earlier in the year with no takers. Darcy then got him for Chris Gratton. To say that was not a wise move is not giving the man his due. As for Conolly and Tallinder, a less patient GM might have dumped them before this.

If you are saying the Briere had been exposed to waivers earlier in the season, then he could have gotten him for nothing earlier, how is that a great move giving up Gratton for him unless you are just looking to dump payroll? To say that Darcy knew the NHL would be like this years before it happened and that he stockpiled players waiting for it is giving him a little too much credit. Especially on the revelation that he couldn't even see that defensemen would be that sought after in this offseason and that he didn't try harder to get Teppo under contract before FA began.

And, as Dozer pointed out, the team was bankrupt for a couple of those years with crooked owners. And to think that the Rigas's (Especially the one son) were willing to bend contradicts much of what has been reported. They did not want to budge.

Regardless, depending on what they get for Marty and a forward (I agree with your idea of Dumont) this might be a great off-season yet.

I can respect your opinions even if I don't agree with them. I also think there could be more exciting news in the near future, although I won't hold my breath.

Lastly, picking up Spacek WAS exciting and good news four our favorite hockey team.

Dozerdog
07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
:rofl: @ Cher.

In one post- Darcy "Inherited" a great team- and managed to keep it together for a few years for a cup run

In another he does "nothing" to keep his teams together.

WTF will make you happy? It's Stanly Cup or a wet diaper. Geesh!

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I am not sure when Briere was waived. It might have been the previous season. And dumping Gratton was a good move. Even getting used pucks would have been nice.

And I respect you too. I just think that while Darcy has made mistakes (no longer deal before this season for McKee) he has made many good moves too.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
:rofl: @ Cher.

In one post- Darcy "Inherited" a great team- and managed to keep it together fcor a few years for a cup run

In another he does "nothing" to keep his teams together.

WTF will make you happy? It's Stanly Cup or a wet diaper. Geesh!

He had Hasek and not much else, I didn't say great team. It was a mediocre team that was less than mediocre when Hasek left. This team was a pretty damned good team for the new NHL and yes, I think he could have done more to keep it together. Sure he built this one, but it was pretty close to the same team that couldn't make the playoffs in the previous years. Now they put together a huge year and Darcy is a genius? I don't buy it.

You can keep sucking what Darcy is offering and thanking him for it.

Dozerdog
07-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Compedetive teams at compeditive prices.

I'll take that

He's made a hell of a lot more great trades than poor ones, does a very good job drafting, and has not hesitated to make the trading deadline move when needed.

But sure, he sucks. We should hire a guy like Sinden, Ferguson, or Millbury. They sign big name guys and make lots of trades too.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I am not sure when Briere was waived. It might have been the previous season. And dumping Gratton was a good move. Even getting used pucks would have been nice.

And I respect you too. I just think that while Darcy has made mistakes (no longer deal before this season for McKee) he has made many good moves too.

I don't know that either, you brought it up and I thought it would have been better to get him then instead of giving up a guy. I liked Gratton, but he just never played up to his size. Kind of like Pyatt now, but back then, a guy Gratton's size was at least worth something.

Darcy has made some really good moves. Barnes for Barnaby, Warner for Wilson, Dumont as a throw in with Gilmore for Grosek and Lydman for a fourth rounder? It is the other parts of his job I have a problem with, mostly the waiting forever for him to do anything, the way the Peca situation was handled, the way the Hasek trade was handled, the way most RFA contracts are handled, they way he basically called fans stupid during the Peca situation, etc...

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Compedetive teams at compeditive prices.

I'll take that

He's made a hell of a lot more great trades than poor ones, does a very good job drafting, and has not hesitated to make the trading deadline move when needed.

But sure, he sucks. We should hire a guy like Sinden, Ferguson, or Millbury. They sign big name guys and make lots of trades too.

And I have promoted picking up big names all over the place. :rolleyes:

You seem to have amnesia from the previous three years. Plus, I don't see his drafts as very good either.

Philagape
07-05-2006, 11:02 PM
A lot of credit for the past season has to go to the organization staff and scouts. We've gotten some gems in the draft ...

Tallinder (48th, 1997)
Max (69th, 1997)
Campbell (156th, 1997)
Kotalik (164th, 1998)
Miller (138th, 1999)
Gaustad (220th, 2000)
Roy (32nd, 2001)
Pominville (55th, 2001)

... and done an outstanding job of developing them in Rochester. Darcy gets credit as the guy at the top, but he's very well-supported.

PUCKER
07-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Good signing.

jamze132
07-06-2006, 04:20 AM
I like the signing of Spacek. Do I wish we still had McKee? Yes I do. But he left Buffalo for more money. Did Regeir make a mistake in lowballing McKee? Maybe. But even if it was a mistake, he couldn't do much better in filling the loss with Spacek. The guy was arguabely the best D-man left in the market. And he does fit into what Buffalo is trying to do. I will say that Mckee wasn't worth $4 mil for 4 years.

I am not going to jump to any conclusions about this off season until it plays itself out. The Bills have made me very tired.

don137
07-06-2006, 06:05 AM
He inherited a team that went to two conference championships. His moves had the team getting progressively worse and missed the playoffs for three straight years until a change in the game helped his team immensely.

Darcy picked up some keys players for those teasm...Rhett Warrener & a draft pick pick (Ryan Miller) for Mike Wilson. Stu Barnes for Barnaby. He picked up Joe Juneau. Those were great pickups and he didn't just do nothing. He has done a lot with what he has had.
What moves has he made to make the team worse? I guess trading Grosek for Dumont and Gilmour was bad. He doesn't have the budget of the Rangers or Flyers. Some people expect that I guess. Sure I wish the Sabres could have a higher payroll but I for one am very impressed with what Darcy has done with his limited financial resources. The only weakness IMO is they have good but not great drafts.

Earthquake Enyart
07-06-2006, 06:15 AM
McKee has zero offensive skills.

That's the difference.

Dr. Lecter
07-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't know that either, you brought it up and I thought it would have been better to get him then instead of giving up a guy. I liked Gratton, but he just never played up to his size. Kind of like Pyatt now, but back then, a guy Gratton's size was at least worth something.

Darcy has made some really good moves. Barnes for Barnaby, Warner for Wilson, Dumont as a throw in with Gilmore for Grosek and Lydman for a fourth rounder? It is the other parts of his job I have a problem with, mostly the waiting forever for him to do anything, the way the Peca situation was handled, the way the Hasek trade was handled, the way most RFA contracts are handled, they way he basically called fans stupid during the Peca situation, etc...

Patience is good and bad. His patience with Ruff was good. Other times it might have cost the Sabres.

As for Peca, we disagree on that and Hasek held the team hostage. Basically it was trade me or I retire. His salary meant that very few teams could afford him and only Detroit needed a goalie.

As for the RFA contracts, let's see how they are handled with the new CBA. The rules have changed.

SkateZilla
07-06-2006, 01:36 PM

or he new the game would change with the new CBA.. and reflected the suspision in his front office moves.. :respect:

blackonyx89
07-06-2006, 01:43 PM
He better not be a sissy!!! Get it? Sissy Spacek? LOL! Great signing!!

northernbillfan
07-06-2006, 02:22 PM
i want to hear NBF's opinion on this signing. :tap:
I don't have too much to add besides what gannd mentioned.

He only came to the Oil in a late season trade and wasn't long enough to make any impact on the town or the team. 19 points for the Oil since the trade is a little misguided. As gannd said those are mostly power play points working with Pronger.

Insignifant data for me to give an accurate opinion.

pyrrhonist
07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
While I don't deem Spacek to be a "great" blueliner, he's good. He'll bring the same veteranship to the blueline as Teppo did last season. That being said.....

Had Darcy not dicked around last offseason and slapped McKee in the face with a one-year deal, there would be no need for this signing. McKee would be sealed up, instead of running to the Blues for a larger contract. Same old Regier, even if the boys did well last season. McKee is no Bobby Orr, I'm not saying that, but he definitely deserved more than the way he was punked out in the end. :down:

JD
07-06-2006, 09:46 PM
McKee has zero offensive skills.

That's the difference.
Thank you :clap:

:posrep:

Meathead
07-06-2006, 10:10 PM
i liked jay but i am totally comforable with swapping sissy into his spot. the sabres can use more offense from the back line and certainly the pp

like it or not the sabres have to be more careful with money than most of the other teams and this is a better deal for the team. thanks for your contribution, jay, and good luck

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Very simple Mike. Mckee got over 700 grand MORE per year. Mckee also got a 4 year deal.

SkateZilla
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Very simple Mike. Mckee got over 700 grand MORE per year. Mckee also got a 4 year deal.

Thats an Unconfirmed source, Club Policy doesnt allow of contract disclosures during off season signings,

and it says "ABOUT 10 Million" meaning they have no clue..

Earthquake Enyart
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Thurm, without your calm head and solid reasoning, this place spins out of control.

pyrrhonist
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
The focus on money spent for Spacek versus McKee shouldn't continue to focus on what was handed out this season, rather, McKee should've been re-signed before this past season.

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Thats an Unconfirmed source, Club Policy doesnt allow of contract disclosures during off season signings,

and it says "ABOUT 10 Million" meaning they have no clue..
Exactly so I am very sure it won't be too much more or too much less than 10 mil and 3 years so why argue about small details. I am very happy with this and Numinnens's signings.

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Thurm, without your calm head and solid reasoning, this place spins out of control.
Thanks man! People were pissed that we let Mckee go, and are now pissed when we signed a very capable replacement for less money!

SkateZilla
07-07-2006, 04:36 PM
$3.225 million as part of a three-year, $10 million deal

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=497846

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
$3.225 million as part of a three-year, $10 million deal

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=497846
There you go. I was right again!

SkateZilla
07-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Spacek is Worth More,

You seem to think because we pay the younger guys very little that we would pay him that as well,

thats like us signing Thorton for 5 Years 2.25 a Year... (11.25 Total) :respect:

THATHURMANATOR
07-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Spacek is Worth More,

You seem to think because we pay the younger guys very little that we would pay him that as well,

thats like us signing Thorton for 5 Years 2.25 a Year... (11.25 Total) :respect:
I hope this wasn't directed towards me because I have no idea what you are even trying to say here...

mchurchfie
07-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks man! People were pissed that we let Mckee go, and are now pissed when we signed a very capable replacement for less money!
:bf1: McKee was a good shotblocker and could lay out a hit but he was too slow and his puckhandling skills were attrocious. From time to time he got himself and his teammates into trouble in his own end because of his poor decisions with the puck. I think we will be just as good if not better with this signing. Screw McKee, he bolted the minute they waved that 4 mill in his face.

mchurchfie
07-08-2006, 03:12 PM
I hope this wasn't directed towards me because I have no idea what you are even trying to say here...
Don't take no **** Thurm.:flex::box:

SkateZilla
07-08-2006, 04:06 PM
it wasnt

Jenna
07-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Mckee was a stud!

mchurchfie
07-09-2006, 02:19 AM
No he wasn't.:limp:

THATHURMANATOR
07-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Spacek was ESPN's 9th ranked free agent going in. Mckee wasn't on the top 10...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/feature/featureIndex?page=nhlfreeagency2006

SabreEleven
07-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I think we are going to be more than happy with Spacek. He obviously wants to be here and the Sabres want him and we have a spot for him. Let's start the season TODAY!!!!!!!!

chernobylwraiths
07-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Spacek was ESPN's 9th ranked free agent going in. Mckee wasn't on the top 10...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/feature/featureIndex?page=nhlfreeagency2006

Is this the same ESPN that sucks and doesn't carry hockey anymore? I wish some of you would make up your minds. Is ESPN a sports news organization to believe or not?

SkateZilla
07-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Is this the same ESPN that sucks and doesn't carry hockey anymore? I wish some of you would make up your minds. Is ESPN a sports news organization to believe or not?
:honda:

THATHURMANATOR
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Um I don't know Cher. I think the guys who write in the NHL portion are dedicated just to hockey. Who isn't sure about this? Probably OP right?

chernobylwraiths
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Um I don't know Cher. I think the guys who write in the NHL portion are dedicated just to hockey. Who isn't sure about this? Probably OP right?

Oh, I'm sure Op isn't sure. I know I see a lot of threads on here that say ESPN sucks. I wasn't directing it at you thurm, unless of course you are an ESPN basher. :D

All I have said is that I wish they had offered this kind of money to McKee before he left. We have upgraded offensively with Spacek, but have downgraded defensively and I didn't think we needed to downgrade defensively.

Water under the bridge now. You gonna go in a seasons Thurm? The more people that go in on seasons the cheaper it is. I wouldn't mind watching a game with ya.

The_Philster
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Screw McKee, he bolted the minute they waved that 4 mill in his face.Considering the Sabres low-balled him and only offered him half that, can you blame the guy? :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
07-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Oh, I'm sure Op isn't sure. I know I see a lot of threads on here that say ESPN sucks. I wasn't directing it at you thurm, unless of course you are an ESPN basher. :D

All I have said is that I wish they had offered this kind of money to McKee before he left. We have upgraded offensively with Spacek, but have downgraded defensively and I didn't think we needed to downgrade defensively.

Water under the bridge now. You gonna go in a seasons Thurm? The more people that go in on seasons the cheaper it is. I wouldn't mind watching a game with ya.
I was never against ESPN.

I in all honesty would rather have Spacek. I am not saying this to spite Mckee or because I am mad he left. I just feel Spacek is much better suited for the new NHL. He is a great puck mover and good passer. I think he is similar to Lydman but is better than Lydman offensively. Mckee did improve on his skating but still was nothing as a puck handler or in the offensive end. All in all I think it is an upgrade for the sabres.

As far as seasons go who all is in? I would definitly think about it.

SkateZilla
07-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Real Quick, name the One thing we were missing on the Power Play,

A Good First Pass fromteh Defense, .... Problem Solved..

Spacek wont take McKee's place, he made his own...

As Soon as a player starts playing for $$ then he's not worth it, Ie SATAN, though McKee isnt no where near as greedy as Miro.. but to leave after a career season .. pfft.. have fun in St. Louis Mckee you'll be seeing the redwings every few weeks... :honda:

welcome to the east coast spacek,.. :respect:

chernobylwraiths
07-11-2006, 06:19 AM
You didn't need to bump it from last night Mikey, ya pain!

Here is some pricing info:

There are seats left for the $15 a game seats. Those are $615 for the season. Sections include 300 (last row), 326 (row 12), and 327.

There are also seats left in the $21 a game section. Those are $861 a ticket.

The playoffs seats I had, which were great, are $30 a game or $1230 a ticket. They have 2 Row 1 seats and plenty of row 2. I only mention these becaus ethey were great, but are pricey.

If we get 4 of the cheap seats that will run us $2460 total. If that is split evenly amongst us, that would be $410 a person.

I am counting

1. Me
2. Clump
3. Cher
4. AF61
5. Mikey
6. JD

As the intersted parties.

The other sections cost $574 a person or $820. With 41 games we could each have 4 tickets to 7 games (one of us gets shorted a game).

Since I know all of you, I can order online using my credit card while money is sent to me via check or paypal (which will include the paypal processing fee).

That is the info.

Obviously the cheap seats are last row type of seats in the ends.

Comments?

Here you go Thurm

pyrrhonist
07-15-2006, 02:18 AM
Who isn't sure about this? Probably OP right?

That would be me! The guys who write for ESPN (Bucci, Frei) are closet Avs' Monkeys most of the time, and the same ones who drooled over the big market teams time after time on NHL2Night.

SkateZilla
07-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I can Write Better Previews and Power Rankings than 90% of the ESPN Staff,

not to mention I wanna stand next to ESPN's ...Rachel Nicols