PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Sabres Sign Spacek

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Forked from: Sabres Sign Spacek (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1547606)

AP says about $10 million over three years.

This is where it is going to go, so I will start it now.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
I figure I will be the one to start it. :D

Two completely different defensive players, but who would you rather have for the money.

I would take McKee. I like the signing, but I would rather go with the guy that you know and the team knows much better.

The_Philster
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Jay McKee's been a rock solid hockey player for us for years. How do they expect a country singer like Sissy Spacek to replace him? :idunno:

JD
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
...how the hell do you take McKee over Spacek.. thats downright ******ed. Do your homework ladies, Spacek = big improvement over McKee...who could be replaced by an ahler such as paetsch.

Philagape
07-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Welcome to ignore.

Michael82
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
What the ****, Darcy? How the hell could you give Jay McKee such a lowball offer and then offer this amount to Spacek? McKee is getting better and was solid in the playoffs. I don't understand this one bit. :mad:

JD
07-05-2006, 05:35 PM
i myself loved mckee but i think spacek can take his place easily and do more.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I am sort of perplexed, but not too upset considering he's a decent player.

I guess I just don't comprehend how they wouldn't give a 29 year old defensemen - solid at his position, who's been here his entire career, who wanted to stay here, and was already a cornerstone in a young franchise - a long term contract for arguably the same price...

Over a guy who is 3 years older, who might not fit in this system. He is a different kind of DMan compared to McKee... so only time will tell how this one works out.

JD
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
You guys will never be happy will you?

***** if he does ***** if he doesnt..poor darcy

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I don't think anybody is *****ing. There's no denying that this is a good signing for this club... the rationale behind it is just confusing.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't think anybody is *****ing. There's no denying that this is a good signing for this club... the rationale behind it is just confusing.

A ***** men! That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course, since Darcy is on record as saying that he didn't think the market for defensemen would be what it is, he probably majorly miscalculated. Now THAT I can see.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I think that's exactly what happened. He let McKee go thinking he could get a cheap replacement, only to find out that a good majority of teams were targetting DMen and willing to pay.

He had to fill the hole with the best possible option, at all costs, before it was too late.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I think that's exactly what happened. He let McKee go thinking he could get a cheap replacement, only to find out that a good majority of teams were targetting DMen and willing to pay.

He had to fill the hole with the best possible option, at all costs, before it was too late.

One thing I heard also this afternoon on GR was that Spacek was in town last year and the Sabres made him an offer. He ended up going to Chicago (I don't know why he signed a one year deal) but was pissed when Chicago then traded him the Edmonton. Plus, Buffalo was trying to trade for him at the trade deadline. So, maybe we had him in mind all along and the numbers just went up. Darcy should have seen this coming seeing as how the cap went up by $5 million.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
One thing I heard also this afternoon on GR was that Spacek was in town last year and the Sabres made him an offer. He ended up going to Chicago (I don't know why he signed a one year deal) but was pissed when Chicago then traded him the Edmonton. Plus, Buffalo was trying to trade for him at the trade deadline. So, maybe we had him in mind all along and the numbers just went up. Darcy should have seen this coming seeing as how the cap went up by $5 million.

Did they elaborate on why they couldn't get him before the deadline?

SkateZilla
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Spacek:
http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=6816

Mckee:
http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3765

Spacek is a Lil more devloped than Mckee ... and has over 2x the amount of points...

cant replace Mckee in the locker room, but Spacek can make a case outta it on the ice.. :respect:

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Spacek is a Lil more devloped than Mckee ... and has over 2x the amount of points...

cant replace Mckee in the locker room, but Spacek can make a case outta it on the ice.. :respect:
He may have more scoring ability, but simply looking at a stat sheet is a poor gauge for determining a player's worth to his team.

If we simply went by stat sheets, Rob Ray would be considered one of the wosrt players in Sabres history...

I am not upset with the signing... but I will say that I rather would have had a guy who can block 5-6 shots a game and play solid D over an older guy who can pile up assists. I don't think this team was badly in need of a scoring threat on D, our 4 lines are more than capable of putting the puck in the net.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Did they elaborate on why they couldn't get him before the deadline?

Get who done, McKee? I don't know that. I think it might have played out like you and I were saying in that regard.

Michael82
07-05-2006, 06:04 PM
A ***** men! That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course, since Darcy is on record as saying that he didn't think the market for defensemen would be what it is, he probably majorly miscalculated. Now THAT I can see.
You may be on to something. Darcy underestimated the value that teams would place on defenseman and therefore gave a lower offer to McKee than he would have if he knew how fast they would go.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 06:04 PM
He may have more scoring ability, but simply looking at a stat sheet is a poor gauge for determining a player's worth to his team.

If we simply went by stat sheets, Rob Ray would be considered one of the wosrt players in Sabres history...

And besides losing a better defensive defenseman, they lose the leadership in the room. Don't forget those players like Briere that are looking to sign longer term deals and to a lesser extent Grier who saw how McKee was handled.

Michael82
07-05-2006, 06:06 PM

I am not upset with the signing... but I will say that I rather would have had a guy who can block 5-6 shots a game and play solid D over an older guy who can pile up assists. I don't think this team was badly in need of a scoring threat on D, our 4 lines are more than capable of putting the puck in the net.
Good post! The age factor is the biggest thing with McKee. He's in his prime and will only get better. I'd rather have someone like that over someone who's 3 years older and not that much better. Plus you keep the other vets on the team happy. :up:

Oh well, at least we filled that hole. I'm pleased with the signing, but I would've preferred McKee.

Philagape
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
If you want stats, McKee led the league in blocked shots. You can't replace that. Between losing him and Grier, this team is a lot less tougher than it was.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Get who done, McKee? I don't know that. I think it might have played out like you and I were saying in that regard.

No, Spacek, at the trade deadline last year.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
No, Spacek, at the trade deadline last year.

Well, I'm sure Darcy wasn't offering enough for Chicago. I don't know what Edmonton gave them.

PUCKER
07-06-2006, 01:27 AM
I will take a wait and see approach to this one...