PDA

View Full Version : Not a bad deal

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Really guys, think about it.

Sure, the Sabres lost McKee and Grier, but if you really think about it...

between JM and MG, the sabres lose 39 points

picking up Spacek adds 43 points to the roster.

I think the type of game that the Sabres play suits Spacek better than it suited Grier or McKee.

McKee was a great shot blocker, but only because he was never really a transition type player, and the Sabres run a fast paced, up-tempo, transition type game... this is why McKee was relegated to blocking a ton of shots, because he wasn't the type of guy that could get up and down the ice for 30+ a game... Spacek can do that... and play D.

It's not a bad signing. So what if he's a little older. Teppo is 39, just got off the operating table, and can still play with the best of em!

They added a guy who can provide veteran leadership, serve as a scoring threat from the blueline, and fill a defensive void.

Get past the loss of McKee and you'll realize it's not that bad...

SkateZilla
07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Really guys, think about it.

Sure, the Sabres lost McKee and Grier, but if you really think about it...

between JM and MG, the sabres lose 39 points

picking up Spacek adds 43 points to the roster.

I think the type of game that the Sabres play suits Spacek better than it suited Grier or McKee.

McKee was a great shot blocker, but only because he was never really a transition type player, and the Sabres run a fast paced, up-tempo, transition type game... this is why McKee was relegated to blocking a ton of shots, because he wasn't the type of guy that could get up and down the ice for 30+ a game... Spacek can do that... and play D.

It's not a bad signing. So what if he's a little older. Teppo is 39, just got off the operating table, and can still play with the best of em!

They added a guy who can provide veteran leadership, serve as a scoring threat from the blueline, and fill a defensive void.

Get past the loss of McKee and you'll realize it's not that bad...

finaly someone explains it correctly,

we all love Mckee, and will miss him, but his play type just didnt fit in to our overall game strategy...

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Well, one of the reasons we lost in the Conference finals was because Carolina's players drilled us into the boards whenever they could. Grier and McKee were two of the few players that could play that game. We lost a lot of toughness with those two gone. I don't know if Spacek can replace that.

Hey, I like the guy too, but they will need to get some toughness back. Mair and Gaustad can't do it all.

Philagape
07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Is there any doubt that McKee and Grier were two reasons why we went as far as we did? They were beasts in the playoffs.

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, one of the reasons we lost in the Conference finals was because Carolina's players drilled us into the boards whenever they could. Grier and McKee were two of the few players that could play that game. We lost a lot of toughness with those two gone. I don't know if Spacek can replace that.

Hey, I like the guy too, but they will need to get some toughness back. Mair and Gaustad can't do it all.

Eventhough Campbell really started to assert himself late last year and throughout the playoffs, this is obviously the biggest concern surrounding this team right now (other than arbitration)

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Is there any doubt that McKee and Grier were two reasons why we went as far as we did? They were beasts in the playoffs.

Briere was the playoff MVP, IMO... Connolly was the best player this team had throughout the playoffs, until he got injured of course.

Nighthawk
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Excellent points. People have to stop with the love fest with certain players and think logically. I swear that people just look for something to complain about!

Philagape
07-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Briere was the playoff MVP, IMO... Connolly was the best player this team had throughout the playoffs, until he got injured of course.

Briere was our MVP, period. But McKee and Grier were major assets

Nighthawk
07-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Briere was our MVP, period. But McKee and Grier were major assets

True, but you can't overpay for role players because it will come back to haunt you in the future. Here's an example for you...Boston signing Martin Lapointe...terrible signing and way overpaid. Darcy understands the system and though we may not like it, he is doing what is in the best interest of the team.

Michael82
07-05-2006, 07:25 PM
That's what I'm saying. Plus I guarantee you that Ryan Miller will definitely miss the help that McKee gave him in front of the goal with his shot blocking. :sigh:

Bill Brasky
07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
That's what I'm saying. Plus I guarantee you that Ryan Miller will definitely miss the help that McKee gave him in front of the goal with his shot blocking. :sigh:

good goalies don't need guys to block 35% of the other team's shots every night.

miller will be a year older, a year wiser.

the deep playoff run won't hurt either. i think we see a beast of a goalie this year :up:

SpillerThrills
07-05-2006, 07:57 PM

i think that ryan might benefit a bit from mckee not being here next year. if you think about it, 90% of the goals that ryan let in from the outside were deflected in one way or another. sometimes it was by our guys sometimes it was by the other team. knowing that jay will be gone, and he will not have someone in front to block that many shots he will have to step up his game alittle bit..... hopefully he'll be able to see more shots and make the saves from the point that he needs to.

I will miss Jay just as much as everyone else but I think that this set of moves is a good thing and will help our team alot.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Excellent points. People have to stop with the love fest with certain players and think logically. I swear that people just look for something to complain about!

I am thrilled that Darcy got this guy. Like with the Bills, I see no reason to sugarcoat any BAD decisions this management team has made. At least bad decisions IMO. I know we couldn't pay McKee $4 million, but I, and many others, feel he could have been had for about the same as Spacek. McKee was a big performer for this team this past year and was instrumental in getting us to the semis. There is a lot more to it than just a "lovefest" for certain players.

don137
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I am thrilled that Darcy got this guy. Like with the Bills, I see no reason to sugarcoat any BAD decisions this management team has made. At least bad decisions IMO. I know we couldn't pay McKee $4 million, but I, and many others, feel he could have been had for about the same as Spacek. McKee was a big performer for this team this past year and was instrumental in getting us to the semis. There is a lot more to it than just a "lovefest" for certain players.
Spack is more geared towards the up tempo new NHL and that obviously is what Darcy wants. McKee is a defensive defensemen and Darcy wanted to go in another directon.

BlackMetalNinja
07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
JFreeman is all over it in this thread, pretty much dead on with my thoughts on the situation so far.

PUCKER
07-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Excellent post,J!!! :clap: Only,I would still liked to have kept Grier.

Crisis
07-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Why the hell does everyone think McKee would've signed for that much here.

Is there any proof or are you guys pulling this out of your asses.

jamze132
07-06-2006, 06:36 AM
I am not really going to miss Grier. Yeah he really was a force playing alongside Drury, but I'm sure that Drury won't go into a funk because of it. We have enough forwards allready with untapped talent. Just think if Vanek and Pomminville can build on what they did this year. We will have a pretty good season reguardless of who is playing defense.

Earthquake Enyart
07-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Skating ability is way more important than "toughness" in the new NHL.