PDA

View Full Version : Fin Fans:

Historian
07-06-2006, 07:03 AM
You have two starting QBs on your squad now. Both are going to want to play.

You have Mularkey as OC, who couldn't make up his mind who to start on any given series last year.

Given what happened here in Buffalo last season with the Quarterback position, do you think that your team may end up with a quarterback controversy? If the team loses a couple of early season games, will they pull the trigger?

Just curious to know what you guys are thinking.

Bulldog
07-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I really don't think that Harrington is a starting QB in the NFL. Culpepper, by far, is the better QB and will be Miami's starter barring injury.

!Papacrunk!
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Even if Harrington was to have an all star pre-season, if Culpepper is healthy he starts. I've got good reason to believe that Mularkey won't override Saban on who will start, just call it a hunch. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the luxory of having two great QBs, but Harrington hasn't done anything to wow anyone since he's been in the NFL. Granted I won't complain, if a new system, new environment helps him, because it's always great to have a solid backup. I'm also glad that the early reports have been extremely positive for Culpepper's rehab, hopefully he will continue on that road w/o any setbacks............................................................................................ ........................................................................................................... .......................................................................................................... Here's a quote from Harrington's press conference in May: "(On if he will be content being a backup if Daunte Culpepper is healthy) – “Am I going to be content? I don’t think any player is content when they are not on the field, but I have been in this situation before. I was in this situation with Jeff (Garcia) last year where I was forced to be a backup and be ready at any time. Our season last year showed that as a second quarterback on the team, you have to be prepared and you have to be ready to get in and play at any moment during the season. Of course I want to be out there on the field as a competitor, but as a teammate, I am going to do everything I can to be ready for this team and if that means sitting for a season or two, then I’m prepared to do that.”" I think Harrington understands the situation he's in. He even stated that there wasn't a lot of teams beating down his door to be a starter for their teams. He said there was some interest in challenging a starter spot, or filling in for a rehabbing QB- Palmer in Cinc, but I think it's a good thing that he wants to be a competitor, but at the same time he realizes that he might be holding a clipboard for a season or two. As long as he can contribute when the bell is rung, so be it.

HHURRICANE
07-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Even if Harrington was to have an all star pre-season, if Culpepper is healthy he starts. I've got good reason to believe that Mularkey won't override Saban on who will start, just call it a hunch. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the luxory of having two great QBs, but Harrington hasn't done anything to wow anyone since he's been in the NFL.

First off Culpepper if healthy starts. PERIOD. Second if I were a fin fan I wouldn't have MM handle water boy duties. The less he does the better. The only thing going for you is that Saban is there.

One last point. I think Joey Harrington in a better situation has some game. At worst he is a pretty good backup! I thought he was a good signing.

feelthepain
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Well here's how I see it. Obviously Daunte is by far the better QB. Joey is better then any QB we had last year. Daunte is coming off a serious knee injury, but is quite a bit ahead of schedule. Joey is learning how to play in something other then the WCO...according to Joey he loves it. Daunte is in a familiar system with just some minor tweaks. MM is the OC not the HC. What does that mean??It means MM won't be pulling anybody from a game, that would be Sabans job. For some reason Bill fans don't seem to get that.

So to the question at hand. If Daune is somewhere around 90 to 100% I think he starts and plays the season unless he reinjures the knee or something else. I think Joey has the talent to play for Saban, but does he have the mental fortitude to maintain and win games?? That's a question only to answered when he plays. Will Saban pull Daunte???

Since Daunte has only had one bad season, a season which he lost a whole lot of key components all at once. Moss,Linehan,Birk and whole new O system....all in one offseason. Daunte has had some truly awsome years as a starter in the NFL. With Marino type numbers, and the all time leader in NFL history in compl.% at 64.4. There is no chance Daunte will be in a battle for his Job. So to answer your question(s) No!!

!Papacrunk!
07-06-2006, 08:54 AM
First off Culpepper if healthy starts. PERIOD. Second if I were a fin fan I wouldn't have MM handle water boy duties. The less he does the better. The only thing going for you is that Saban is there.

One last point. I think Joey Harrington in a better situation has some game. At worst he is a pretty good backup! I thought he was a good signing. I hope Harrington can do better with the old cliche, new enviroment/scheme, because it's obviously great to have a good backup. Ray Lucas proved that point ~shudder~. From what I've read, Harrington has the physical tools, it's just his decision making ability may not be the best. I would imagine he may be a little relieved not to be the savior of a sinking ship, so hopefully he can regain his confidence, and improve. On a sidenote--for the sake of Lions fans, hopefully the new coach can get the Lions competitive and get them back on track. It was fun to see the Bengals turn it around, so maybe eventually the Lions will too, too bad they still have Millen though.

feelthepain
07-06-2006, 08:56 AM

One last point. I think Joey Harrington in a better situation has some game. At worst he is a pretty good backup! I thought he was a good signing.

Just curious, what do you think of Losman and Holcomb compared to Culpepper and Harrington??

Earthquake Enyart
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Culpepper isn't exactly known for his superb decision making skills either.

Historian
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Just curious, what do you think of Losman and Holcomb compared to Culpepper and Harrington??

I think both are darn good tandems, as long as the backup understands his role.

Holcomb was brought in here to be the backup. A role he understood would be his when he signed his contract. (As a matter of fact, I even wrote on these boards, that it was a great pickup as long as he understood he was second string)

That's why I ask the question. Harrington (whom I've always liked) obviously signed as the backup, and forces a smile as he does it. He's young, he's got talent.

But throw in Mularkey...a few of his silly gadget plays....and if Miami drops a couple early on....I just wonder if your staff are patient enough to stay with Culpepper especially if the fans and media start calling for a switch. (Assuming his health is not an issue)

Mitchy moo
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Culpepper isn't exactly known for his superb decision making skills either.

Without Moss he looked ordinary at best.

!Papacrunk!
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Without Moss he looked ordinary at best. Whew, good thing I wasn't drinking anything, your post was so revolutionary I could've spit it onto my computer screen. On one side, Moss did get 1,005 yards, but for Moss that was ordinary at best, so I would imagine it he benefitted from Culpepper as well. But on the other side, we're just retreading things that have already been discussed, so I will fight off the urge to get pulled down by the insanity that is Skoob's posts. Um, no offense Skoob.

Historian
07-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Another thing to consider, (and I don't want to turn it into a Culpepper-bashfest) is that he no longer plays indoors in ideal conditions.

And at 245 pounds, in the Florida sun, you either lose weight quick, or you wilt in the heat. (I know he played college ball there)

It will be an interesting transition.

!Papacrunk!
07-06-2006, 09:47 AM

Holcomb was brought in here to be the backup. A role he understood would be his when he signed his contract. (As a matter of fact, I even wrote on these boards, that it was a great pickup as long as he understood he was second string)

That's why I ask the question. Harrington (whom I've always liked) obviously signed as the backup, and forces a smile as he does it. He's young, he's got talent.

But throw in Mularkey...a few of his silly gadget plays....and if Miami drops a couple early on....I just wonder if your staff are patient enough to stay with Culpepper especially if the fans and media start calling for a switch. (Assuming his health is not an issue) Good points. This is the first time in a long time, that I can honestly say that we don't have a QB history. Saban cares about the fans and their support, but he really doesn't base his decisions on what the media has to say. Last year's whomping by the Browns proved that people don't get hastily yanked for quick fixes, Saban is no Wanny. Two seasons ago, when Jay Fiedler was struggling in the 1st half against the Titans (first game of the season,) Wanny made the brilliant decision to pull him and put AJ Feeley in the 2nd half, not even giving a chance for Fielder to right the ship. I really think he didn't do this from a strategic standpoint, but probably from hearing a drunk yell at him and tell him to put in Feeley. I really think that's where a lot of Wanny's decision making ability came from. You guys have your just negative feelings towards Mularkey, but I really don't think he can even compare to the almighty wisdom of THE WANNY!

!Papacrunk!
07-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Another thing to consider, (and I don't want to turn it into a Culpepper-bashfest) is that he no longer plays indoors in ideal conditions.

And at 245 pounds, in the Florida sun, you either lose weight quick, or you wilt in the heat. (I know he played college ball there)

It will be an interesting transition. I think you answered your own post. He played in Florida, not only in college, but in high school as well. He's a Florida guy, another reason why he changed his number to #8, the same number he had in high school and college. So who knows, on the extremely positive side bordering on homerism, maybe he will benefit from the warm weather and the conditions that come with it and also having the experience of playing games in cold weather as well. Culpepper does have his faults--he does have a tendancy to fumble a lot for example, that is a concern, so I'm not saying that he is the amalgamation of every great QB that has ever lived, we as Dolphins fans are excited to have a QB of Pro Bowl caliber. For too long it's gotten to be exhausting coming up with excuses on how our QB's just have to be good enough, it's awesome to have even a possibility to be wowed by one. Don't get me wrong, there will also be times where we'll cuss him out if he does something boneheaded, that's going to happen, but when does something like that NOT happen for every team out there?? Even at the worse case spectrum, even if Culpper wasn't to work out, reinjure his knee, etc, what will we lose? A second round pick. There has been so many 1st round talent that has washed out (I think some of you may recall a certain lineman that fits that category,) so losing a 2nd round pick won't be that big of deal. Don't forget we've already lived with WannSpiel using a 2nd pick on Feeley, so we know loss, lol. It would suck to have to start from scratch with the QB position, but who knows, maybe Cleo Lemon (the 3rd stringer that hasn't played a regular season NFL game,) will be a breakout ProBowler of the future, or forever a 3rd stringer lol. Under WannSpiel, the major move would've been to acquire Harrington to be the starter, not even exploring the possibilty to get Culpepper. Believe me, if something was to happen, and Harrington was to be the starter for 16 games, I'll be a little blue, but as long as Harrington can be as serviceable as Gus was last year, we should be ok. But I'd rather be great with Culpepper, lol.

feelthepain
07-06-2006, 10:50 AM

But throw in Mularkey...a few of his silly gadget plays....and if Miami drops a couple early on....I just wonder if your staff are patient enough to stay with Culpepper especially if the fans and media start calling for a switch. (Assuming his health is not an issue)

Well at the risk of getting bashed for this, how do you come to the conclusion that they are both "darn good tandems"? I will combine Losman and Holcomb and Harrington and Culpeppers numbers, keep in mind many Bill fans think both Harrington and Culpepper are nothing special.

Losman/Holcomb

passing yards: 6773

Games (theses numbers don't represent starts): 55

TD's/ INT's: 45/46

QB rating: 71.7

Culpepper/Harrington:

passing yards: 30,404

Games (these numbers don't represent starts): 139

TD's/INT's: 195/144

QB rating: 79.8

The reason I combine the numbers is because it gives a better overall idea of the four QB's in question. As you can see the body of work between the two sets of QB's isn't even close. Now I do not ask or bring this up to trash the Bill's QB's or to hype the fins QB's I do so, so that you can explain how you came to the conclusion both sets of QB's are "darn good tandems". I'm willing to listen to any and all reasons for the Bill fans to explain their POV.

Again, this is not a post intended to start a riot, but for the Bill fans and Dolphin fans to have something to work with when giving their opinions on the value of the two sets of QB's. Please try to be an adult if you are going to reply to this post, again there is no disrespect intended from me to the Bill's players or fans.

justasportsfan
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Billsology , you're biting on FTP's bait.

Mitchy moo
07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Whew, good thing I wasn't drinking anything, your post was so revolutionary I could've spit it onto my computer screen. On one side, Moss did get 1,005 yards, but for Moss that was ordinary at best, so I would imagine it he benefitted from Culpepper as well. But on the other side, we're just retreading things that have already been discussed, so I will fight off the urge to get pulled down by the insanity that is Skoob's posts. Um, no offense Skoob.

None taken, just my opinion. I think Culpepper could do real well for the Fins and considering how you really haven't had a good QB since Marino things maybe looking up. You are hoping he heals well just as much as us Bills fans hope TKO comes back strong, big question marks either way. Dante just always looks like he is hurt or hurting, which makes me question his ability to play at a high level with the abuse he is going to endure during the season.

!Papacrunk!
07-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Dante just always looks like he is hurt or hurting, which makes me question his ability to play at a high level with the abuse he is going to endure during the season. All righty, then please enlighten me with a link that proves he has looked like he has been hurting, because I can provide video footage showing quite the contrary.

Historian
07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Well at the risk of getting bashed for this, how do you come to the conclusion that they are both "darn good tandems"?

Two quarterbacks with starter experience, that's all.

It's more than some teams have.

Earthquake Enyart
07-06-2006, 11:27 AM
None taken, just my opinion. I think Culpepper could do real well for the Fins and considering how you really haven't had a good QB since Marino things maybe looking up. You are hoping he heals well just as much as us Bills fans hope TKO comes back strong, big question marks either way. Dante just always looks like he is hurt or hurting, which makes me question his ability to play at a high level with the abuse he is going to endure during the season.
It will be interesting to see how bold Culpepper will be running the ball.

He did have a pretty horrific injury.

HHURRICANE
07-06-2006, 01:27 PM

There is no comparison right now. Culpepper/Harrington have more starts and better stats. With that said I think that JP has alot of upside.