• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Help me with this one!

Why is it bad to be a “Homer”?

Especially when you’re being a “Homer” on a message board for your favorite team?

I guess I just don’t understand all of this anti-“Homer” sentiment lately.

If you’re a fan of a team and based on that fact you feel compelled to spend a good portion of each day on a message board website for said team, why should you feel bad that you have optimistic/”Homeristic” feelings towards that team?

I mean, it’s not like we’re writing for ESPN.com or something. It’s Billsfanzone!

Just wondering.
    Resign our own guys!
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

Re: Help me with this one!

I use homer to describe fans who think that every penalty goes against the Bills, that every Bills player should go to the pro bowl, etc. It's annoying as hell.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Because Marge is fugly.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

There's a difference between being optimistic and being a homer. Being a homer is ignorant. It's one thing to root for your team and hope they're going to do well- it's ignorant to actually expect a 5-11 team with a new FO, new coaches, new coordinators, numerous new starters and a shaky QB situation to be playoff-bound.

I find it extremely frustrating that people around here make excuses for players like Josh Reed just because they're on the Bills. I don't know why so many people are so willing to give mediocrity chance after chance simply because that mediocrity comes in red and blue wrapping paper (and don't bring up the JP thing- QB is NOT WR and JP has not been given a chance).

Being able to admit the team's problems and see the team's flaws does NOT mean that a person isn't a fan or isn't going to root for them. It just means they're smart enough to not expect much.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

There's nothing wrong with being loyal. However, don't confuse that with being a "homer." A Homer is someone who is loyal to their team, but they are completely disallusioned with how they feel their team/players/coaches/organization should be stacked up against others, often to the point of being argumentative to a ridiculous and annoying degree.

Case in point, people suggesting J.P. Losman had "moments of brilliance" last year.

Reality? He did his job for small stretches in a couple of football games and put points on the board. The rest of the NFL thinks Losman is a laughingstock, and frankly they should until he proves otherwise.

Another case in point, people suggesting the Bills are a playoff team this year.

Reality? No games have been played yet, so a loyal fan (such as me) will say that everyone is 0-0 and anything can happen, you take one game at a time. However, compared to other teams in the league, this, on paper, is one of the worst teams in the league.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Jon

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
            There's nothing wrong with being loyal. However, don't confuse that with being a "homer." A Homer is someone who is loyal to their team, but they are completely disallusioned with how they feel their team/players/coaches/organization should be stacked up against others, often to the point of being argumentative to a ridiculous and annoying degree.

Case in point, people suggesting J.P. Losman had "moments of brilliance" last year.

Reality? He did his job for small stretches in a couple of football games and put points on the board. The rest of the NFL thinks Losman is a laughingstock, and frankly they should until he proves otherwise.

Another case in point, people suggesting the Bills are a playoff team this year.

Reality? No games have been played yet, so a loyal fan (such as me) will say that everyone is 0-0 and anything can happen, you take one game at a time. However, compared to other teams in the league, this, on paper, is one of the worst teams in the league.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Jon

God I hate when people answer rhetorical questions
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Mudflap1
              Next Question!
              • Nov 2004

Spoken like a true homer. I guess you didn't like what you heard from everyone?

Jon

Comment

• Patrick76777
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                Spoken like a true homer. I guess you didn't like what you heard from everyone?

Jon

Where did I say I was a homer?
                Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

I think around here, if you can see some positive things about the team, and don't consign them to a 3-13 season before camp even starts, you just might be considered a "homer."
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Iehoshua
                    • Jan 2003

I swear I am still pissed that JP was snubbed out of the pro-bowl.

It's an absolute injustice that our entire defensive line wasn't unanimously chosen, too.

The NFL clearly had to cheat us out of our perfect season last year. We should definitely have gone 16-0. Damn refs!

I can't wait to see how stellar our team performs this season! The Bills are obviously on track to run the table. GO BILLS!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      I think around here, if you can see some positive things about the team, and don't consign them to a 3-13 season before camp even starts, you just might be considered a "homer."
                      Not to everyone. Justafew.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

Don't tell me that the goal posts in Super Bowl 25 were regulation width.

I KNOW better.

Seriously, cheering for a team invites a little irrationality.
                        This isn't a jury deciding on a guy's life.
                        If pure, raw, objective analysis was the only think allowed this would be the suckiest place on earth.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                          Don't tell me that the goal posts in Super Bowl 25 were regulation width.

I KNOW better.

Seriously, cheering for a team invites a little irrationality.
                          This isn't a jury deciding on a guy's life.
                          If pure, raw, objective analysis was the only think allowed this would be the suckiest place on earth.
                          but if we stop taking an objective look at things, we'd already be wearing our Super Bowl 41 Champions gear because that's what we all really want anyway.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
                            I use homer to describe fans who think that every penalty goes against the Bills, that every Bills player should go to the pro bowl, etc. It's annoying as hell.
                            :fat:

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              but if we stop taking an objective look at things, we'd already be wearing our Super Bowl 41 Champions gear because that's what we all really want anyway.
                              Well.. When we win it:

...........................DO NOT STORE IT IN YOUR BASEMENT....................................

Comment

Working...
                              X