• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Head Coach

So I broke down and bought this game. Its not bad, the navigation is a bit screwy but the concept/gameplay is pretty cool.

The draft is hilarious because the other teams draft pretty weird. Without any trades at Buffalo's default 8 spot I got Reggie Bush, then in round 2 Donte Whitner, then in round 3 Davin Joseph. The bad part is you cant speed up the draft and each team has 30 seconds so 1 round takes 16 minutes.

Donte Whitner is a monster in this game. By year 2 he was ranked 89 and I didnt focus on him at all in any practices. You have a lot of flexibility in regards to how you run your team. The trading is a bit more realistic then Madden, you cant get away as easily with trading crap for #1 picks.

Year 1 I tried to do what the Bills have done thus far, I released the guys they released and picked up Whitner, McCargo (Round 4), Ko Simpson (Round 5) Brad Butler (Round 6) and Kyle Williams (round 7). I could'nt pickup a few FA's because their teams resigned them.

I simmed year 1 untouched and the Bills went 9-7 winning a wild card game and losing in the next round to the Pats
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Head Coach

I just picked Madden back up. For Xbox that is.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

I bought Head Coach, played it for about fifteen hours and then got rid of it. I did not care for the game AT ALL.

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

It is most certainly geared for those interested in the administrative side of things.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Devin
          Year 1 I tried to do what the Bills have done thus far, I released the guys they released and picked up Whitner, McCargo (Round 4), Ko Simpson (Round 5) Brad Butler (Round 6) and Kyle Williams (round 7). I could'nt pickup a few FA's because their teams resigned them.

I simmed year 1 untouched and the Bills went 9-7 winning a wild card game and losing in the next round to the Pats
          That's it we make the playoffs. Undisputed proof!! Call Skooby!!!

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

I wasnt insinuating anything.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Devin
              I wasnt insinuating anything.
              Dude, I know. I was joking around.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                I bought Head Coach, played it for about fifteen hours and then got rid of it. I did not care for the game AT ALL.
                Agreed 100%. I flat hated the game. I don't have time to fart around with 15 worthless meetings per day.

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

Once I got into a routine and figured out what everything was and how it worked I just skipped most of that.

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                    Well, @ least you gave 15 hours to a game you didn't care for.

Comment

• R. Rich
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      Agreed 100%. I flat hated the game. I don't have time to fart around with 15 worthless meetings per day.
                      I'm guessing this is geared more towards what an actual NFL head coach goes through to prepare for a game.

Maybe you should stick to Madden?

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

You have staff/owner meetings, scout opponents/matchups, very in depth draft scouting. You hire your entire coaching staff, on gameday you call the plays but you dont actually control the players.

The practices/training are pretty solid as far as variety goes you dont just practice certain plays like in Madden (non contact drills, 1v1's......etc).

Some parts of the game are a bit repetitive, the draft is pretty cool though and you certainly have a lot more control over building the franchise as you are essentially a coach/gm. I like the game overall, I think if they stay with it and it evolves in the next year or two it will be very fun.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by R. Rich
                          I'm guessing this is geared more towards what an actual NFL head coach goes through to prepare for a game.

Maybe you should stick to Madden?
                          No some of us have lives and dont' have that much time for a game

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                            No some of us have lives and dont' have that much time for a game
                            How could you have time for it when you spend half your day on BZ?

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HAMMER
                              How could you have time for it when you spend half your day on BZ?
                              Because I work in Network security and administration. I get PAID to be on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X