PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach

Devin
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
So I broke down and bought this game. Its not bad, the navigation is a bit screwy but the concept/gameplay is pretty cool.

The draft is hilarious because the other teams draft pretty weird. Without any trades at Buffalo's default 8 spot I got Reggie Bush, then in round 2 Donte Whitner, then in round 3 Davin Joseph. The bad part is you cant speed up the draft and each team has 30 seconds so 1 round takes 16 minutes.

Donte Whitner is a monster in this game. By year 2 he was ranked 89 and I didnt focus on him at all in any practices. You have a lot of flexibility in regards to how you run your team. The trading is a bit more realistic then Madden, you cant get away as easily with trading crap for #1 picks.

Year 1 I tried to do what the Bills have done thus far, I released the guys they released and picked up Whitner, McCargo (Round 4), Ko Simpson (Round 5) Brad Butler (Round 6) and Kyle Williams (round 7). I could'nt pickup a few FA's because their teams resigned them.

I simmed year 1 untouched and the Bills went 9-7 winning a wild card game and losing in the next round to the Pats :ill:

The King
06-28-2006, 09:39 AM
I just picked Madden back up. For Xbox that is.

gr8slayer
06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
I bought Head Coach, played it for about fifteen hours and then got rid of it. I did not care for the game AT ALL.

Devin
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
It is most certainly geared for those interested in the administrative side of things.

HHURRICANE
06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Year 1 I tried to do what the Bills have done thus far, I released the guys they released and picked up Whitner, McCargo (Round 4), Ko Simpson (Round 5) Brad Butler (Round 6) and Kyle Williams (round 7). I could'nt pickup a few FA's because their teams resigned them.

I simmed year 1 untouched and the Bills went 9-7 winning a wild card game and losing in the next round to the Pats :ill:

That's it we make the playoffs. Undisputed proof!! Call Skooby!!!

Devin
06-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I wasnt insinuating anything.

HHURRICANE
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I wasnt insinuating anything.

Dude, I know. I was joking around.

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I bought Head Coach, played it for about fifteen hours and then got rid of it. I did not care for the game AT ALL.

Agreed 100%. I flat hated the game. I don't have time to fart around with 15 worthless meetings per day.

Devin
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Once I got into a routine and figured out what everything was and how it worked I just skipped most of that.

R. Rich
06-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Well, @ least you gave 15 hours to a game you didn't care for.

R. Rich
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Agreed 100%. I flat hated the game. I don't have time to fart around with 15 worthless meetings per day.

I'm guessing this is geared more towards what an actual NFL head coach goes through to prepare for a game.

Maybe you should stick to Madden?

Devin
06-28-2006, 02:25 PM
You have staff/owner meetings, scout opponents/matchups, very in depth draft scouting. You hire your entire coaching staff, on gameday you call the plays but you dont actually control the players.

The practices/training are pretty solid as far as variety goes you dont just practice certain plays like in Madden (non contact drills, 1v1's......etc).

Some parts of the game are a bit repetitive, the draft is pretty cool though and you certainly have a lot more control over building the franchise as you are essentially a coach/gm. I like the game overall, I think if they stay with it and it evolves in the next year or two it will be very fun.

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing this is geared more towards what an actual NFL head coach goes through to prepare for a game.

Maybe you should stick to Madden?

No some of us have lives and dont' have that much time for a game

HAMMER
06-28-2006, 02:54 PM

How could you have time for it when you spend half your day on BZ?

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
How could you have time for it when you spend half your day on BZ?

Because I work in Network security and administration. I get PAID to be on here.

Gunzlingr
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Too bad you don't get paid for your football knowledge. You could be a millionaire.

R. Rich
06-28-2006, 03:30 PM

I'm just jealous. I don't have much of a life, so I get into those types of games. My favorite part of NCAA or Madden games is the offseason stuff, so this game is right up my alley.

R. Rich
06-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Because I work in Network security and administration. I get PAID to be on here.

Online or on BillsZone?

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Too bad you don't get paid for your football knowledge. You could be a millionaire. Agreed. I still coach but don't work for the school system. Teaching doesn't pay enough.

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm just jealous. I don't have much of a life, so I get into those types of games. My favorite part of NCAA or Madden games is the offseason stuff, so this game is right up my alley.

Franchise is all I play on madden / NCAA. I like to start off for a 2 star team in NCAA and work my way up.

R. Rich
06-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Franchise is all I play on madden / NCAA. I like to start off for a 2 star team in NCAA and work my way up.

Same here. I took an Army team to a national title shot (got beat), and in my latest dynasty, I've taken UConn and WVU and made them national powers. I've also turned around NC State (won the last national title) and UCLA (who NC State beat). The tough part is to win w/ these teams w/out solid recruiting @ first, then you have to schedule a lot of ranked opponents (most of mine are away games in tough stadiums to play in, too) and win in order to get past the snobby coaches' poll.

ICE74129
06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Same here. I took an Army team to a national title shot (got beat), and in my latest dynasty, I've taken UConn and WVU and made them national powers. I've also turned around NC State (won the last national title) and UCLA (who NC State beat). The tough part is to win w/ these teams w/out solid recruiting @ first, then you have to schedule a lot of ranked opponents (most of mine are away games in tough stadiums to play in, too) and win in order to get past the snobby coaches' poll.

I took Baylor and won the big 12 title, and my bowl game to finish 8th in the nation. Immediately ND Came a calling. I took them in two years to #3 in the nation then OU Came calling...you can guess the rest :bandwagon

Gunzlingr
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
you should take your unriveled knowledge to the big leagues and break records by going undeated every year. You would have more money and respect than you could handle.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
sweet deal Ice!

BillsFever21
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Can you have online leagues with this game? Like what we do in the BZFL?

Get a group of people together and form your own teams and play/simulate against each other?

Devin
06-28-2006, 06:26 PM
There is an online feature, id imagine thats possible actually I havent used ity yet.

Devin
06-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I just looked at the manual it appears you can.

HAMMER
06-29-2006, 10:31 AM

No, you get paid to work, you're just on here screwing around all day. Great employee!

R. Rich
06-29-2006, 10:36 AM
I took Baylor and won the big 12 title, and my bowl game to finish 8th in the nation. Immediately ND Came a calling. I took them in two years to #3 in the nation then OU Came calling...you can guess the rest :bandwagon

Yeah, I know. You turned them down because even you wouldn't want to coach such a pathetic POS school.

Good move.

Earthquake Enyart
06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I've won with every Big Ten team but Indiana. They are impossible.

R. Rich
06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
I've won with every Big Ten team but Indiana. They are impossible.

That sounds like a challenge.

If I can get Army a national title shot, I should be able to get IU to win.

Earthquake Enyart
06-29-2006, 10:42 AM
That sounds like a challenge.

If I can get Army a national title shot, I should be able to get IU to win.
It's easier with independents. I've won with North Texas and Louisiana Tech.

IU has that killer schedule and no money.

Mitchy moo
06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
That's it we make the playoffs. Undisputed proof!! Call Skooby!!!

lol.:dance:

DraftBoy
06-29-2006, 12:57 PM
It's easier with independents. I've won with North Texas and Louisiana Tech.

IU has that killer schedule and no money.

IU, you say.....

Earthquake Enyart
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
IU, you say.....
That's about the hardest team I've found. Vanderbilt is tough too.

Crappy teams in big conferences are the hardest.

Devin
06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
lol

RockStar36
06-29-2006, 01:40 PM
The draft is def. screwed. I traded out of the 8th spot and moved down to like 17 or 18, then picked up D'Brick w/ that pick. Then I got Whitner in the 2nd round.

RockStar36
06-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Regardless, the game is boring. It is just eating up my time until NCAA and Madden get released. Then it's on!

R. Rich
06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Regardless, the game is boring. It is just eating up my time until NCAA and Madden get released. Then it's on!

To me, NCAA is the far superior football game and has been for some time now. Madden gets worse by the year. I get it just to be able to create my own teams and then get the kind of players I want for them.

RockStar36
06-29-2006, 02:12 PM
I usually run through a few years in a dynasty w/ Miami and then intentionally draft all my own players on to the Bills in Madden.

After that though I start dynasties (or in the case of last year, race for the Heisman) w/ inferior teams for the challenge of making them good.

DraftBoy
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
That's about the hardest team I've found. Vanderbilt is tough too.

Crappy teams in big conferences are the hardest.

I blame you for me now starting NCAA and puting HC on the shelf

ICE74129
06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I know. You turned them down because even you wouldn't want to coach such a pathetic POS school.

Good move.

smart ass..

ICE74129
06-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Can you have online leagues with this game? Like what we do in the BZFL?

Get a group of people together and form your own teams and play/simulate against each other?

I say we start an XBOX online tourney. Just set up the room and lets play!

ublinkwescore
06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
chirp chirp...

R. Rich
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I picked up the game on Friday. I like it. I simmed most of the games in my first year, except for the first 3 (coached Buffalo, so it was @ NE, @ Mia, and home vs NYJ) and won all of them, though my offense wasn't so great. My defense was very good though, as I got INTs for TDs in each of the first 3 games, including 2 in the win over NE, one from Vincent and the other from Youboty. Overall, the Bills finished 7-9 in year 1.

The draft was ridiculous though, as I ended up w/ D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Reggie Bush, and LB Manny Lawson in round 1. I also was able to get Youboty, LB Gerris Wilkinson, TE Leonard Pope, and G Davin Joseph (who I switched to center, where he had a higher ranking) after the first round. What a joke, but I wasn't complaining.

Bush was NFL offensive rookie of the year (over 1,900 yds rushing) while Lawson led the team in tackles and sacks.

Devin
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I picked up the game on Friday. I like it. I simmed most of the games in my first year, except for the first 3 (coached Buffalo, so it was @ NE, @ Mia, and home vs NYJ) and won all of them, though my offense wasn't so great. My defense was very good though, as I got INTs for TDs in each of the first 3 games, including 2 in the win over NE, one from Vincent and the other from Youboty. Overall, the Bills finished 7-9 in year 1.

The draft was ridiculous though, as I ended up w/ D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Reggie Bush, and LB Manny Lawson in round 1. I also was able to get Youboty, LB Gerris Wilkinson, TE Leonard Pope, and G Davin Joseph (who I switched to center, where he had a higher ranking) after the first round. What a joke, but I wasn't complaining.

Bush was NFL offensive rookie of the year (over 1,900 yds rushing) while Lawson led the team in tackles and sacks.

Yeah its grown on me a lot. The draft is the only down part. They did make it so you cant make stupid trades which is good, but the way players are picked is almost funny.

At any rate I think its a lot of fun.

streetkings01
07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
It may just be with my game but is AJ Hawk always the first person picked in the draft?

R. Rich
07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Mine too.

I traded some players to get extra first round picks and was able to get Reggie Bush w/ one of my additional picks. In one draft, I took D'Brickashaw Ferguson first, Bush second, and Lawson third. In another, I took Vernon Davis first, Bush second, and Lawson third. Both times, Hawk was the first player taken. In their rankings, guys like Hawk and Davis are rated very high. Davis was around a 78 while Bush was a 69 and Leinart was a 70. D'Brickashaw was a 71, I think.

Bill Brasky
07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
anybody played it yet? :idunno:

http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach/index.jsp

TacklingDummy
07-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Try looking at the Head Coach thread. I think some people have played it and its in there.

R. Rich
07-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Yep.

I started 3 different teams. The first one went 7-9 in the first year. The second one went 12-4, then went on to win the Super Bowl. I just got through training camp on my third one. On each one, I just sim the games, but I do all of the preseason crap and monitor the teams during the week, for injuries and stuff.

Bill Brasky
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Try looking at the Head Coach thread. I think some people have played it and its in there.

No thanks.

Yo RRich, how much is the game? And is it pretty in-depth?

R. Rich
07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
No thanks.

Yo RRich, how much is the game? And is it pretty in-depth?

I got it for $39.99 @ Circuit City.

It's pretty in-depth. Think of the franchise mode on Madden to the 5th power. Lots of meetings w/ the owner and w/ your coaching staff, practice sessions (one on one drills or offense vs defense scrimmaging), roster management, and plenty of other stuff. I really like it.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-06-2006, 10:40 PM
does anyone know if its compatible with the xbox 360?

Michael82
07-06-2006, 10:55 PM

It's pretty in-depth. Think of the franchise mode on Madden to the 5th power. Lots of meetings w/ the owner and w/ your coaching staff, practice sessions (one on one drills or offense vs defense scrimmaging), roster management, and plenty of other stuff. I really like it.
thanks for the info. :up:

R. Rich
07-07-2006, 08:09 AM
thanks for the info. :up:

You're welcome.

ILOVEMIBILLS
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
does anyone know if its compatible with the xbox 360?

I heard that while they didn't make a version for 360, the Xbox version does work on it. I am not 100% sure though because I have PS2.

I personally like the game. Yes - It is geared toward a very selective audience, and yes there are many problems with the game, but I have been happy with it for the most part. Once you know your way around, things get much easier (ie. skipping a lot of things). For its first ever try, I think it did ok, and I look forward to an even better version next year.

mikemac2001
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
i am undefeated 1-0 and never will play it again

patmoran2006
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
No comment about getting paid to be on HERE

Devin
07-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Same here.

Ive always enjoyed franchise mode, apart from a few small irritants i think its a fun game. It certainly has potential in a year or two.

The scouting/draft process is a lot of fun imo.

R. Rich
07-07-2006, 02:01 PM
It's even more fun when you can draft Vernon Davis, Reggie Bush, and Manny Lawson in the first round of the draft and back that up w/ some solid picks en route to a 12-4 record, like my 2nd franchise/coahing career did.

Iehoshua
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
My 360 broke. Again. The DVD-ROM drive just stopped working. No error messages, just goes in and doesn't spin it. This is the 2nd console I've had. This time I have to pay $60 for repair.

Not really on topic but I am bitter toward gaming right now.

:down:

R. Rich
07-07-2006, 02:21 PM
There are some advantages to not being a "_phile", Jason. I know plenty of people who are like that w/ cars and my uncle is one of many who is like that w/ audio equipment. Not me. I can afford to wait for reasons like the one you just stated.