PDA

View Full Version : Peters a holdout?

ShadowHawk7
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I read on realfootball365.com that he indeed was holding out so far. Is there any truth to that? If it was true, that may be devastating to our already shaky Oline. If it's not true, sorry for wasting your time. :respect:

The_Philster
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Got a link? The only article from that site I find with Peters' name in it says nothing about that :idunno:

G. Host
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I read on realfootball365.com that he indeed was holding out so far. Is there any truth to that? If it was true, that may be devastating to our already shaky Oline. If it's not true, sorry for wasting your time. :respect:

realfootball365.com is a junk site; It is not even worth posting rumors off it.

Tatonka
07-06-2006, 11:29 PM
i am positive that i read somewhere that he has been at at least one of the OTAs.

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 06:57 AM
I still think he doesn't want to be here. But we will see.

Bulldog
07-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I still think he doesn't want to be here. But we will see.

According to you, nobody wants to be in Buffalo. Show him the money, and he will be a Bill for life. It's really that easy. And save the whole "Ralph is too cheap" diatribe for someone else. I'm tired of hearing it already.

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 08:16 AM
According to you, nobody wants to be in Buffalo. Show him the money, and he will be a Bill for life. It's really that easy. And save the whole "Ralph is too cheap" diatribe for someone else. I'm tired of hearing it already.

Ralph is too cheap. And no money isnt everything. Many have turned down big money to go somewhere else. I can't blame him if he did hold out.

Dr. Lecter
07-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Ralph is not cheap.

Earthquake Enyart
07-07-2006, 08:19 AM
If Peters holds out, we're just going to have to forfeit some games. There's no way around it.

bigbub2352
07-07-2006, 08:26 AM
He only missed one session of OTA's he has been here the hole time working with Jim Mcnally, he also was given his chance here, they have the money to get this resolved and they will, if one thing from this offseason Marv has not been afraid to spend money on his young players, this is something not to worry about at all in my opinion

jamze132
07-07-2006, 08:30 AM
He only missed one session of OTA's he has been here the hole time working with Jim Mcnally, he also was given his chance here, they have the money to get this resolved and they will, if one thing from this offseason Marv has not been afraid to spend money on his young players, this is something not to worry about at all in my opinion
I agree. I am not worried about Peters holding out. It;s not like he has really proven himself in the NFL yet to warrant a holdout. Not saying he won;t but I doubt it. I am sure the FO will lock him up sooner or later.

HHURRICANE
07-07-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree. I am not worried about Peters holding out. It;s not like he has really proven himself in the NFL yet to warrant a holdout. Not saying he won;t but I doubt it. I am sure the FO will lock him up sooner or later.

I have been saying all along that we are going to have a problem here. We have offered him a bigger contract and he has rejected it. Probably because it's not enough!! If we lose this kid after the amount of time we have invested in him than shame on us!!!

jamze132
07-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I have been saying all along that we are going to have a problem here. We have offered him a bigger contract and he has rejected it. Probably because it's not enough!! If we lose this kid after the amount of time we have invested in him than shame on us!!!
If we do lose him and we do offer him a nice contract, then screw him and the horse he rode in on. I for one don't want players on the team that don't really want to be here.

Bulldog
07-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Ralph is too cheap. And no money isnt everything. Many have turned down big money to go somewhere else. I can't blame him if he did hold out.

I'll go on record as saying that 95% of the time, money is the ultimate factor in where a player signs. I'm sure that Jonas Jennings left Buffalo for San Fran because he just couldn't take Buffalo any more. Not! SF threw a tone of money at him and he went. It's all about the benjamins.

djjimkelly
07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
this thread is a farce no truth to it

finsrclowns
07-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Maybe the whole thing is a big misunderstanding. To be charitable, Peters isn't too bright. Maybe when he heard the Bills wanted him to take the tender offer, he thought they were offering him McDonald's gift certificates instead of a salary. This thing should work itself out.

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 01:33 PM
If we do lose him and we do offer him a nice contract, then screw him and the horse he rode in on. I for one don't want players on the team that don't really want to be here.

Nice to see you posting Ralph. Pay the man!!! he knows he is going to be a top tackle in this league and be one damn soon. He knows he is our best OL Lineman and we need him more than he needs us I guarantee that.

Cheap ralph better open up his pocketbooks for the kid

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I'll go on record as saying that 95% of the time, money is the ultimate factor in where a player signs. I'm sure that Jonas Jennings left Buffalo for San Fran because he just couldn't take Buffalo any more. Not! SF threw a tone of money at him and he went. It's all about the benjamins.

Ok, 5 mill per year to live in Buffalo. 4 mill per to live in Miami, Oakland, San diego etc. Easy call on that one.

bigbub2352
07-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Cheap Ralph has done nothing but sign players this offseason, sorry paying 7-8million a year for a guard SH Minn is ridicoulus, so is the money Le Charles got, Marv has been consistent with the signing of young players this year so everybody relax

justasportsfan
07-07-2006, 01:37 PM
I still think he doesn't want to be here. But we will see.According to your sources, PFT

ryjam282
07-07-2006, 02:10 PM
How can you say he doesn't want to be here??? We are the team that gave him a chance after he went UNDRAFTED. There had to be a reason for that. Not to mention, he hasn't started a whole season in his career. What does he have to be holding out about???

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
How can you say he doesn't want to be here??? We are the team that gave him a chance after he went UNDRAFTED. There had to be a reason for that. Not to mention, he hasn't started a whole season in his career. What does he have to be holding out about???

LMAO MANY made phone calls to him after the draft, so give that a break. he would be playing somewhere.

he hasn't started a whole season thanks to Mularkey and his BS. Peters is the best OL on this team, that alone is worth holding out until he gets the jack he deserves.

Time for cheap ralph to pay up. I cant wait until Evans, JP, Willis etc all get to that time.

feelthepain
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
LMAO MANY made phone calls to him after the draft, so give that a break. he would be playing somewhere.

he hasn't started a whole season thanks to Mularkey and his BS. Peters is the best OL on this team, that alone is worth holding out until he gets the jack he deserves.

Time for cheap ralph to pay up. I cant wait until Evans, JP, Willis etc all get to that time.

The best Olinemen you have, was a UDRFA??? Wow....that speaks volumes.

finsrclowns
07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
The best Olineman you have, was a UDRFA??? Wow....that speaks volumes.

Peters is better than Vernon Carey and you spent a mid 1st and a 4th on him.:dance:

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Peters is better than Vernon Carey and you spent a mid 1st and a 4th on him.:dance:
Exactly

feelthepain
07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

Thats your opinion, Careys getting better every season and he happens to have the best oline coach in the game. Speilmans stupidity is in Minn now.

Carlton Bailey
07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I've read nothing anywhere about Peters holding out, including realfootball. This thread is a fallacy. Peters is our best lineman and is not holding out.

Don't Panic
07-07-2006, 08:41 PM
realfootball365.com is a junk site; It is not even worth posting rumors off it.

Really? Funny, I was just thinking the other day about how every clip I see of theirs on twobillsdrive is usually pretty insightful and right on. I actually tend to have a lot of respect for what they say.

Carlton Bailey
07-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Really? Funny, I was just thinking the other day about how every clip I see of theirs on twobillsdrive is usually pretty insightful and right on. I actually tend to have a lot of respect for what they say.

They won me over with the McGee and Spikes interviews. No "junk" site could just get those. I also like the insight over there on the bills.

G. Host
07-07-2006, 08:58 PM

:down: Peters have not been shown enough for a big contract

KMA
07-07-2006, 11:49 PM

There's no question that we're one of the teams that players use for leverage now in getting contracts elsewhere.

KMA
07-07-2006, 11:54 PM

The jury's out there. Peters has started half a season or so. Far too little to tell.

Carey's only started one season but he doesn't look to be much of anything special.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-08-2006, 01:22 AM
While I have not seen any other reports that Peters is holding out, there have been some mentions in various articles (all of them linked on the BZ front page) over the last couple of months that Peters (or his agent) were not happy with the contract extension that the Bills offered to him. The last that I had heard, though, the Bills were still talking with Peters and his agent about an extension and were interested in working out a deal with him.

From the little that was said in these little blurbs about Peters and his contract situation, I believe that the problem is that Peters was or is hoping, expecting or led to believe that the Bills would or will eventually shift him to the left side and, if so, wants/expects to be paid left tackle money, which is considerably more than he would make if he signs as a right tackle. One certainly cannot blame Peters for thinking that he would end up moving to the left side at some point: McNally was widely reported as saying that he thought that Peters could develop into a quality left tackle and, since then, there has been a lot of speculation, in the local press and amongst Bills fans, about not so much IF Peters would make that move but WHEN. No doubt Peters and his agent have heard that and been thinking along the same lines, perhaps even expecting him to be moved to the left side of the offensive line this off-season. The fact that the Bills have announced that they do not intend to do that this season must have come as a great disappointment, if not for Peters, definitely for his agent, because of the much greater amount of money that a left tackle can make in comparison to a tackle who plays on the right side.

Given that disparity in compensation, it is possible that Peters and/or his agent are looking for the Bills to give Peters left tackle money in an extension, believing that they could get that elsewhere if Peters were to become a free agent and sign with another team to play on the left side. Or, they could be looking for some assurances from the Bills that Peters will ultimately be moved to the left side--something that the Bills may not be willing to offer at this point without the new regime having seen how their offensive linemen will look once the hitting starts. Or, Peters and his agent may be looking for some kind of clause that would escalate his salary if he were to become the Bills' starting left tackle--which is something that could be quite complicated in terms of salary cap implications, etc.

In any event, I can see where the Bills might have some problems with paying Peters left tackle money if they intend to keep him at right tackle--he may be their best offensive lineman, but, if they see him as being a right tackle only, they may be willing to let him test the FA market rather than pay him left tackle money to play on the right side. Also, even though McNally is familiar with Peters' talent and play, I can also see where the new regime would like to see Peters working in pads and hitting before deciding what they might want to do with him in the future and offering him or his agent any assurances about their future plans for Peters. From a strictly business point of view that makes sense and, for a new regime that has just come in to take over the team, it also makes sense from the point of view of establishing their credibility with all of the players and not just Peters (you don't make promises that you can't, do not intend, or decide not to keep).

Personally, I like Peters and would like to see the Bills resign him--I took a lot of garbage from Op, R.Rich and others when I said that Peters would end up being a starting tackle for the Bills during the season before last and throughout last off-season, so now that he has become their best offensive lineman, I'd like to see him stay with the team. But, I can also see where the expectation that Peters would ultimately move to the left side and the disparity between what left and right tackles are paid could create contract issues that the new Bills' management team is not yet in a position to address to the satisfaction of Peters and his agent. I am hoping--and actually expect--that the team will be able to work out a contract extension with Peters once training camp begins.

Given all of the questions about the Bills' offensive line, Peters and his agent certainly might feel that they could threaten the Bills with a holdout, but IMHO it would be quite foolish for Peters to actually go through with a holdout. First of all, Peters has not been a starter for that long and, in the larger picture, is still pretty much an unproven commodity. For a player in that position to holdout would send a bad message to GMs around the NFL who might otherwise be interested in signing Peters as an unrestricted free agent that he and/or his agent will cause problems for them down the road. It would be much better for him to sign his tender offer and play his best this season and, if he cannot come to an agreement on an extension with the Bills, test the free agent market next year when he will have a lot more leverage and a better resume. Whatever might be said during contract discussions at this stage, ultimately, I believe that Peters' agent (if not Peters, himself) will see the wisdom of this and that he will report to training camp on time, even if he is not happy with his tender offer or is unhappy with what the Bills are offering in terms of an extension. Consequently, I would be very surprised if Peters were to actually holdout and not report to training camp on time.

If Peters does report to training camp and continues to show the kind of improvement in his play that he has shown since signing with the Bills, I would expect that the Bills will make every effort to come to an agreement with him and his agent on a contract extension. The only thing that I can see standing in the way of that is if they decide that they decide that they want to keep him on the right side permanently and he insists on getting paid left tackle money regardless.

The_Philster
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Ltbf...it was long enough the first time you posted it..didn't need to post it twice :eek:

jamze132
07-08-2006, 02:29 PM
The best Olinemen you have, was a UDRFA??? Wow....that speaks volumes.
Get bent!

T-Nasty24
07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Theres a pic of him at the OTA's on BuffaloBills.com

LifetimeBillsFan
07-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Ltbf...it was long enough the first time you posted it..didn't need to post it twice :eek:

Sorry! Damned Microsoft Mouse program wasn't working properly on my PC and turned my single-click on "Post Reply" into a double-click--and I didn't notice it. My bad. I just corrected the double post by deleting one. My apologies.