PDA

View Full Version : #5: Will Whitner Be the Starting Strong Safety?

The_Philster
07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
"I'm going to come in and compete for the job from day one. I want to get up there and learn the defense as soon as possible so I can get out there and play fast. I'm going to come in and compete from day one."
That was the promise delivered by Bills top draft pick Donte Whitner minutes after he was drafted eighth overall on April 29.
Armed with a thirst for football knowledge, natural instincts and rare physical ability it's difficult to imagine that Whitner won't find himself among the starting 11 for Buffalo's defense on Sept. 10 in New England. more (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3855)

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
He should start. We cut a former probowler that was on the downside of his career and drafted Whitner 8th in the draft. He had better start!

Luisito23
07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, he should definetly get to start, I mean what do we have to lose right...

GO BILLS!!!!!!

The_Philster
07-07-2006, 04:02 PM
If someone is drafted 8th overall and he's not a QB, he better be getting the starting job on Day 1

Captain gameboy
07-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I can't wait to see this kid play.

I think he's going to be special, and I want him out there on day 1.

TigerJ
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Me too.

billsburgh
07-07-2006, 05:25 PM
If someone is drafted 8th overall and he's not a QB, he better be getting the starting job on Day 1
he should have to earn the starting job, but theres not much competition in front of him, so it shouldnt be that difficult to earn the job.

The_Philster
07-07-2006, 05:38 PM
he should have to earn the starting job, but theres not much competition in front of him, so it shouldnt be that difficult to earn the job.
Well obviously he wouldn't have it if he didn't deserve it...all I'm saying is that someone drafted that high is going to have high expectations

billsburgh
07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Well obviously he wouldn't have it if he didn't deserve it...all I'm saying is that someone drafted that high is going to have high expectations
yes you are right about the high expectations. I understand what you were getting at. With all the talk of JP having to earn the starting qb job, nobody else should be handed a starting spot based solely on where they were drafted. if they are better than the other players at that spot, let them play. with that being said, I fully expect Whitner to be the starter on opening day.

Carlton Bailey
07-07-2006, 06:24 PM
He'd better start. I dont think anyone wants to watch Matt Bowen.

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 08:04 PM

:bf1:

ICE74129
07-07-2006, 08:05 PM

Bull crap. He is the 8th overall pick and he starts or admit marv screwed the pooch. You get drafted that high you start period.

The_Philster
07-07-2006, 08:16 PM
If he sucks enough that Bowen or even Wire performs better than him, then he doesn't deserve to start...draft slot guarantees only his money and the high expectations that come along with it...doesn't guarantee him a starting job...it's up to him to prove he deserves it.

billsburgh
07-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Bull crap. He is the 8th overall pick and he starts or admit marv screwed the pooch. You get drafted that high you start period.
even if he's not ready and he's hurting the team more than helping?

ICE74129
07-08-2006, 08:05 AM
If he sucks enough that Bowen or even Wire performs better than him, then he doesn't deserve to start...draft slot guarantees only his money and the high expectations that come along with it...doesn't guarantee him a starting job...it's up to him to prove he deserves it.

Bull. If a GM is stupid enough to spend the 8th pick on a Safety with greater needs sitting there and the talent to field those positions, that SS better damn well start PERIOD!

ICE74129
07-08-2006, 08:06 AM
even if he's not ready and he's hurting the team more than helping?

Yes. Because there were other DL etc sitting there we could have taken that WOULD have started and helped.

The_Philster
07-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Yes. Because there were other DL etc sitting there we could have taken that WOULD have started and helped.could I borrow your crytal ball? :rolleyes: Cause there's no way in hell you can guarantee any player whatsoever definitely would help. It's a crap shoot...everyone who's watched the NFL for even a few years can tell you that... and for you to talk like that just eliminates any possibility that you know what you're talking about.

patmoran2006
07-08-2006, 01:16 PM
And what DL is that?
Bunkley isn't starting as of right now for Philly, he's part of a 4-man rotation.. Tamba Hali was the 20th pick for KC, you would draft him 8? Talk about a reach?

The only DL who could've started from day one is Ngata, and I'm glad we didnt take him.

billsburgh
07-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Yes. Because there were other DL etc sitting there we could have taken that WOULD have started and helped.
who would that be? Bunkley who is having a hard time adjusting in philly

patmoran2006
07-08-2006, 01:43 PM
The only DL I would have been happy with is Hali, because I think he's going to be really good.. But unlike Whitner, there werent teams behind us lining up to take him.

If I was taking Hali I'm trading down to 15-18 to do so.
Anybody who STILL Thinks we coulda gotten away with that with WHitner knows nothing about football.