• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

We have improved @ just about every position

I really don't understand how most can say the Bills took a step backwards this offseason and that we'll be worse this year.

We've really improved at all positions. Check it out:

OL - We replaced Teague/Anderson with Fowler/Reyes - 2 younger guys with more actual talent and upside, plus far more athletic.
    TE - Royal over Campbell - improvement. Everett back from injury - improvement
    RB - Willis will only continue to improve, Thomas is a legit backup
    WR - the only argument that we've regressed. But Moulds is at the end of his career and is no longer a playmaker. If Peerless gets anywhere near '02 form, he'll be better than Moulds this year. Plus Parrish is back from injury and in his 2nd year. Reed will have more room to shine, etc... I still see this as an improved group from last year, overall.
    QB - same as last year, but JP will hopefully have grown. If Nall wins, then that's another big change.

DT - Sam Adams replaced with Triplett - big improvement. otherwise, all we lost was Bannan, who was replaced by Kyle Williams, essentially and we added McCargo in the first round. I see a big improvement here.
    DE - same group as last year, and all young guys that are just getting better
    LB - Takeo is back, nuff said
    CB - Clements stayed, McGee still improving. Youboty could be a great 3rd CB. King and Greer young and improving
    S - Whitner is a major improvement over Milloy at this stage in Milloy's career. Simpson and Bowen all brought in and will be valuable depth.

Coaching - Jauron is light years ahead of Mularkey when it comes to running a team, you can see it in the player's comments, from the informal poll Vincent conducted. Fairchild seems to have a better clue about running an offense having done a better job post-Martz in Stl then Clements did here. Ferell vs. Gray - a wash. we'll have to see. But i like the new concept on D.

We're definitely a better team than the 5-11 squad, at ALL positions.
    we've lost big names, but were all replaced with better, younger, lesser known players.
    We've also improved alot more than other teams of similar records last year.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: We have improved @ just about every position

Insane thread.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Insane thread.
      Looks like you are catching up to me in red, I see why now.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

As one of the resident homers, I agree with Skooby. I think between the draft and free agency, we DID improve in many areas. We're younger, and faster, and hungrier.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Ya, Skoob.. That's why

We may have improved for the long haul at a lot of positions, but for 2006? Your absolutely insane.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Ya, Skoob.. That's why

We may have improved for the long haul at a lot of positions, but for 2006? Your absolutely insane.
            Where is this thread did I say 2006?

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Well if your not talking 2006 then I apologize.

For the long haul, yes you are right, we did improve our football team, at least I think we did.

I like the influx of younger players into a new system. I just think we're going to take a step backward in 2006 before we take off and start moving forward towards being a playoff team.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                • Aug 2005

Is it fair to say we will win more games than last year Pat?
                SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsStampede
                  Is it fair to say we will win more games than last year Pat?
                  In my opinion, no.
                  I think we'll be fortunate to win five games this year. I think for 2006 we're one of the five worst teams in the NFL. We dont even know who our QB is, our run defense will be even worse than it was last year (if possible), we're going to be starting/playing alot rookies on defense.. A new OL takes time to mesh, I think Clements is not only overated but doesnt want to be here... Then on top of that you have a brand new head coach and new coordinators, and you're implementing new systems, which take time... Losing Adams, Milloy and Moulds doesnt hurt the future, but it hurts 2006.

BUT..
                  We're not just spinning our wheels like we have in seasons past recently. I think this team will play better as the year progresses, some of the young guys will step up and by season's end Jauron will know which guys to build this team around... We'll have decent cap space and assuming Wilson is serious about becoming a contender, we'll invest next off-season on the defensive line and maybe left tackle... If a QB steps up we'll be set there. If not getting a QB through FA becomes a necessity, unless you want to start over with a rookie QB (which I hope to God not) Couple that with another productive draft and Buffalo could legitimately be a contender in 2007.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

Well if your not talking 2006 then I apologize.

For the long haul, yes you are right, we did improve our football team, at least I think we did.

I like the influx of younger players into a new system. I just think we're going to take a step backward in 2006 before we take off and start moving forward towards being a playoff team.
                    Your apology is accepted. It may or may not take a year but we can't tell right now. After the first 4 games we'll see what kind of team we have and how they work together. My original point is we have an influx of new, younger people and that may help.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Skooby
                      I really don't understand how most can say the Bills took a step backwards this offseason and that we'll be worse this year.

We've really improved at all positions. Check it out:

OL - We replaced Teague/Anderson with Fowler/Reyes - 2 younger guys with more actual talent and upside, plus far more athletic.

Agree, but the improvement is minimal. It's not like we went from a terrible O-line to Great. Fowler and Teague is a wash, but ANYONE, even you SKOOB would be an improvement over Fat Benny.

TE - Royal over Campbell - improvement. Everett back from injury - improvement

Mark Campbell just wasn't any good...so this is obviously an improvement again with just about anyone put here.

RB - Willis will only continue to improve, Thomas is a legit backup

This is neither improved nor regressed. The A-train is a "name-comfortable" signing by the franchise, because he's worked with Jauron before. Doesn't mean he's good, in fact he hasn't been in a few years.

WR - the only argument that we've regressed. But Moulds is at the end of his career and is no longer a playmaker. If Peerless gets anywhere near '02 form, he'll be better than Moulds this year. Plus Parrish is back from injury and in his 2nd year. Reed will have more room to shine, etc... I still see this as an improved group from last year, overall.

This position is obviously worse than last year, last year we had a legitimate 1 and legitimate 2. This year we have to hope Evans can be 1 and then also hope SOMEONE can be a legitimate 2. Parrish is too small to take the pounding he'll get if he's lined up regularly at WR. And Josh Reed hasn't shown anything in the years he's been here to warrant being a 2nd round choice.

QB - same as last year, but JP will hopefully have grown. If Nall wins, then that's another big change.

This position is as putrid as last year.

DT - Sam Adams replaced with Triplett - big improvement. otherwise, all we lost was Bannan, who was replaced by Kyle Williams, essentially and we added McCargo in the first round. I see a big improvement here.

This as a unit is young, inexperienced and most of the guys are better at passing situations, so we'll be run all over yet again.

DE - same group as last year, and all young guys that are just getting better

Some Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay continue to keep jobs around here despite not having enough talent for the Arena League.

LB - Takeo is back, nuff said

Takeo may or may not be back...won't know til the season starts. Don't get too excited yet.

CB - Clements stayed, McGee still improving. Youboty could be a great 3rd
                      CB. King and Greer young and improving

This position is upgraded for this year, but will regress next year when Clements walks.

S - Whitner is a major improvement over Milloy at this stage in Milloy's career. Simpson and Bowen all brought in and will be valuable depth.

Whitner, yes is an improvement, but not this year. He'll be torched a bunch of times because he's "green." Through time he'll get better and be a major asset. As of this year, this position is not better nor really worse than last year.

Coaching - Jauron is light years ahead of Mularkey when it comes to running a team, you can see it in the player's comments, from the informal poll Vincent conducted. Fairchild seems to have a better clue about running an offense having done a better job post-Martz in Stl then Clements did here. Ferell vs. Gray - a wash. we'll have to see. But i like the new concept on D.

Coaching....We go from one guy who can't win games as a coach in the NFL to another. How this is an improvement, I don't know. Call it a wash.

We're definitely a better team than the 5-11 squad, at ALL positions.
                      we've lost big names, but were all replaced with better, younger, lesser known players.
                      We've also improved alot more than other teams of similar records last year.
                      Have we improved on being a 5-11 team? Down the line yes, this year no. This team could realistically be worse than 5-11 this year. Due to inability to stop the run, allowing JP to actually develop, a very young inexperienced safety and no legitimate number 2 receiver. Another off-season "can" fix some of these holes, if Wilson is willing to pay to do so. If so we'll be a competitive team next year and possibly a contender in 08.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

I think Buffalo is going to suprise some people this year and I wouldn't be suprised if we pull a couple of upsets, especially late in the season as OTHER teams are contending for a playoff spot. Could play spoiler!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

We have Dick for coach. Better than Moo Moo? Probably, but its the same "dog crap, cow crap" argument. Pretty much the same with the rest of the "improvements".

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                            Have we improved on being a 5-11 team? Down the line yes, this year no. This team could realistically be worse than 5-11 this year. Due to inability to stop the run, allowing JP to actually develop, a very young inexperienced safety and no legitimate number 2 receiver. Another off-season "can" fix some of these holes, if Wilson is willing to pay to do so. If so we'll be a competitive team next year and possibly a contender in 08.
                            LMAO good luck with that happening!

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                              Closet Bills Fan
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              As one of the resident homers, I agree with Skooby. I think between the draft and free agency, we DID improve in many areas. We're younger, and faster, and hungrier.
                              and combined that with severely lowered expectations to the bills and the jets, i wouldnt be surprised to see that hunger pay off for one of the teams.

it will be a dogfight for sure, especially with ne and mia given the "top bill"

i hope both go down badly!

best of luck, and hope to see ya on opening day!

j-e-t-s
                              jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

Working...
                              X