PDA

View Full Version : Toccoa's Hall of Famer does not watch grass grow in retirement

The_Philster
07-09-2006, 05:42 AM
The street sign is supposed to read "66 Bills Way," Billy Shaw says.
Below is the 15-acre property of Toccoa’s resident Pro Football Hall of Famer. The sign, atop the long driveway, actually reads, "Bills Private Drive." That might be more appropriate. "I really enjoy being out here, being reclusive," said Shaw, who moved from the downtown to the countryside five years ago. "Not trying to shut ourselves apart, but I enjoy the privacy." more (http://www.independentmail.com/and/sports/article/0,1886,AND_8215_4831690,00.html)

Captain gameboy
07-09-2006, 06:06 AM
I have a friend who lives near him and had done quite a bit of business with his concrete operation.

He says he's truly a great guy, and verifies that before the HOF induction, nobody knew him from anybody else. That's all changed.

I really doubt he's 6'2 as the article states. I had heard him state that he actually shrunk and inch or two from the pounding he took, so I asked him that question when he came out of the locker room one day at a training camp back in the 60's and he said it was true.

On the downside, I hear his daughters received more appearence genes from him than from his wife.

What a player though.
What great battles he used to have with 6'9 Ernie Ladd of the Chargers.
Billy owned him.

The_Philster
07-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Helmetguy and I met him at the reception the Bills had for him in Canton following the induction. Great guy is an understatement, IMO. In 1993, Bob Carroll put out a book called When the Grass Was Real, a story of the AFL-NFL wars which included some contributions by key figures in the AFL such as Willie Davis, Sid Gillman and 1999 Pro Football HOF inductee Billy Shaw. I had read it when I was in the service and looked pretty hard for a copy to take to Canton to get it signed. I couldn't find one in time so he gave me his card and offered to send me a copy of the book. I soon found a copy after he made that offer and it's now one of my favorite books complete with the HOFer's autograph on page 134 :up: