PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Simmons... the more I learn about this guy..

Tatonka
02-18-2003, 05:08 PM
the more I like him.

http://www.seahawks.com/PlayersBio.aspx?PlayerID=54

I will be honest, I didnt know alot about him, as i dont follow Seattle very close. I knew of him, but not much past the fact that he was a hawks LB. I am sure a couple of you out there dont know that much about him either, so i thought i would give you a quick run down.

I have been doing some research on this guy.. and seems he was a Clemson inside LB, weakside. he was a beast there.. 3rd all time in tackles.. but it seems like every guy in the nfl was a beast in college..

he was a first round draft pick in 1998, 15th overall. he is only 26. he played sparingly his first year. he was a MLB. second year, same thing, MLB 3rd on the team with 90 tackles. in 2000, he moved to OLB, and lead the team with 140+ tackles, 119 SOLO. in 2001 he lead the team in tackles again and was a stud racking up over 100 tackles.

i dont know what happened to him last year.. he played in the first game, then missed the middle of the season, coming back to play in the final 6 games.. anyone know what happened???

his performances were good after he came back from what ever injury he had.. he had 2 ints and a sack in the final 6 games.

apparently the guy has blazing speed? i read somewhere he runs in the 4.4-4.5 range. that is some serious sideline to sideline pursuit.

he also seems to care about kids and community, as he runs a couple programs, one called L.I.F.E. line (leaders in football and education), which seems to fit in with the type of guys that TD and Buffalo really embrace.

i like the guy.. word is seattle is thinking of tagging him? true or no?

lets start some talk about this guy.. seems to me that he has just as much potential as spikes, claiborne, peterson, or colvin. all 5 of them are athletic monsters.. all of them are just coming into their primes (ages between 25-27), and all of them are finishing up their rookie contracts.. but for some reason, i dont think simmons (at least here) gets the hype he may deserve compaired to those other names.. i bet if we did a pole on which of the five you would want here, spikes finishes first and simmons finishes last.

lets talk...

:earpoke:

The_Philster
02-18-2003, 05:10 PM
sounds like a good option to me...I remember he was pretty well thought of coming out of college.

Tatonka
02-18-2003, 05:16 PM
the only knock i can see is that he is a bit short, at 6ft.. but he goes about 250... he is solid.. and obviously his size hasnt hurt him so far.. he seems to be only getting better and shown coverage skills as well.. 4.4 speed helps in coverage i assume .

THATHURMANATOR
02-18-2003, 05:20 PM
He had an ankle injury for much of last season.

don137
02-18-2003, 05:20 PM
I like him a lot too despite him getting hurt. I think the Bills will go after Spikes first then if/when his price is too high the Bills will go after Petersen or Simmons. Any of them are great pick ups. The question is what is there going rate and how much will TD shell out.

Tatonka
02-18-2003, 05:31 PM
thanks thurm with the update on his injury.. he seems to come back from it pretty well at the end of the season and obviously it was not serious...

i think his lack of stats from last year will help make him more affordable..

don137
02-18-2003, 05:35 PM
It sounds like Keith Brooking is getting closer to signing with Atlanta. Once he signs his salary can be used as a benchmark for what linebackers will go for in FA this year. This will be a good gauge at who Buffalo might go after.

Schobel94
02-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Simmons said that if he is not resigned by Seattle, Buffalo would be his no. 1 choice, with KC being his second. We could use a guy like him. Is he SS our WS?

Romes
02-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Simmons said that if he is not resigned by Seattle, Buffalo would be his no. 1 choice, with KC being his second. We could use a guy like him. Is he SS our WS?

Awesome! :up:

Where did you hear that?

Tatonka
02-18-2003, 07:23 PM
simmons plays Strong side LB... that is why he has picks.. and not so many sacks..

i am very interested in hearing where you saw that quote from him.

JefftheBillsfan
02-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Fletch/Peterson/Simmons sounds more than great to me.

Tatonka
02-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
Fletch/Peterson/Simmons sounds more than great to me.

add any half decent dt in front of that and that is a super tight front 7, based sheerly on the lbs.

kgun12
02-18-2003, 11:57 PM
i like the guy.. word is seattle is thinking of tagging him? true or no?

Tatonka this is true. Espn's Len Pasquarelli is reporting that Seattle is seriouly thinking of tagging this guy. To bad if he is I like him to.

Ingtar33
02-19-2003, 12:01 AM
Seattle has problems with the cap (not serious... but enought that tagging Simmons would cause some problems)...

He is a SLB, and while is very fast is more a run stuffer than pass rusher/cover guy...

kgun12
02-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Seattle may have to choose between offensive tackle Walter Jones and linebacker Anthony Simmons. Carolina has discussed the possibility of using a tag on punter Todd Sauerbrun. And the Bucs might keep Super Bowl most valuable player Dexter Jackson with a tag."

This was from Len Pasquarell'i Feb. 14 article.

EDS
02-19-2003, 07:24 AM
I think Simmons and Peterson should be the Bills orimary targets - provided they aren't tagged. They will both be cheaper and easier to get than Spikes.

Look at this link says Simmons runs a 4.3!!!!:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1506800.html

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 08:37 AM
11. Simmons in Seattle
Watch for the Seahawks to franchise left tackle Walter Jones for a second consecutive year, but that could be disastrous if they can't re-sign outside linebacker Anthony Simmons. Simmons has the speed to be a valuable asset to a defense trying to work against the speed in the NFC West. He runs 4.3 40s. But negotiations have been stalled since late December, and Simmons senses he could get a $5 million a year deal. Knowing that Mike Holmgren has to rebuild the defense for coordinator Ray Rhodes, losing the best young defender on the team won't help.

from espn..

THATHURMANATOR
02-19-2003, 09:37 AM
I do like simmons but for 5 mil I think we could get spikes who IMO is a better player. I am starting to like Simmons more and more though!

Earthquake Enyart
02-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Seattle was one of the only teams worse than the Bills at stopping the run. I'm not sold on Simmons.

lordofgun
02-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Why is everyone prejudiced against rapists? Whatever happened to tolerance? :snicker:

Michael82
02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
This would be a good move. He seems like a good player...Imagine this guy being Jay Fiedler that he is tackling. OUCH! :D

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20010907/450hdef07.jpg

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 11:06 PM
nice pic... very nice.. just change the green to red.. he almost looks like a bill now =)

TypicalBill
02-20-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Simmons said that if he is not resigned by Seattle, Buffalo would be his no. 1 choice, with KC being his second.

where did you get that from? :confused:

Tatonka
02-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Seahawks | Tagging Jones Makes Simmons Free - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
4:53 PT: Updating previous reports, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports, since the Seattle Seahawks placed their franchise tag on OT Walter Jones, they will not be able to tag LB Anthony Simmons. They cannot place a transition tag on Simmons because the team has already used the two they were allotted when free agency began in 1993. Simmons is now expected to test the free agent market in March.