X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Royal receptions would be added bonus for Bills

Many were left scratching their heads when the Buffalo Bills signed tight end Robert Royal to a five-year, $10 million contract in March. The move occurred on the opening day of the NFL's free agency period, and saw Royal add $2.5 million to his bank account just for signing his name on the dotted line.
    The reason so many were surprised at the Bills giving big money to Royal stemmed from the three-year veteran's lack of production. However, during his young career, the former LSU Tiger has been an elite blocking tight end, which has drawn praise from two of pro football's top-flight minds. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • ronbaskin
    • Jun 2006

Re: Royal receptions would be added bonus for Bills

One problem I see with signing Royal is he will be of virtually no use to the two young quarterbacks, Losman and Nall. They need a big target over the middle to bail them out and provide more success in the "red zone," an area where the Bills need big, dependable receivers. Maybe Royal has better hands than anyone believes, but based on what he has shown to date in his career he's a bigger version of Josh Reed (also a good blocker with questionable hands).

Comment

• Amare
      Don't Call It A Comeback!
      • Jul 2006

I guess our new coaching staff aint 2 high on Everett?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I don't think Marv would have given Royal the kind of money he did if he didn't think he could catch the ball, as well as block. I think he was probably underutilized as a receiver in Washington.

Plus, Everett should definitely be a big time athletic receiver, and Cieslak appears to be developing, so I think we'll be much improved at TE.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

I don't really see the TE position as a problem.

Put it this way, they aren't going to lose too many games for us.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Amare
            What leads you to believe that?

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
              • Apr 2005

Royal better have a hell of a season after receiving (no pun intended) so much money. Our TE play last year was terrible, we need a consistant good target to help JP gain confidence.

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                I don't really see the TE position as a problem.

Put it this way, they aren't going to lose too many games for us.
                maybe not, but it's been years since we had one that could win games for us
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ronbaskin
                  One problem I see with signing Royal is he will be of virtually no use to the two young quarterbacks, Losman and Nall. They need a big target over the middle to bail them out and provide more success in the "red zone," an area where the Bills need big, dependable receivers. Maybe Royal has better hands than anyone believes, but based on what he has shown to date in his career he's a bigger version of Josh Reed (also a good blocker with questionable hands).
                  Wouldn't his blocking ability which would lead to a better run game help the QBs?

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

I'd like to see Everett get a fair shake...it's been years since we had a TE who could stretch the field! Just imagine what it would be like to know that your QB had another possible weapon out there. Man, that would be nice.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

I would like for Everett to step up also. But at least he won't be thrown right in as starter with no exp.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Amare
                        It really showed when they cut Campbell and traded Euhus... chooch.

Comment

• ronbaskin
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                          Wouldn't his blocking ability which would lead to a better run game help the QBs?
                          It certainly will help the running game and be valuable in max-protection passing schemes. But what young quarterbacks need most from a tight end is a dependable short to mid-range target to go to when plays break down or the wideouts can't get open.

If Lee Evans can handle the increased double coverages he sees it probably won't make a huge difference. Even if he can there are questions about the offensive line and whether it can give the quarterbacks enough time to go deep.

The biggest beneficiary of Royal's signing may be Willis McGahee.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ronbaskin
                            It certainly will help the running game and be valuable in max-protection passing schemes. But what young quarterbacks need most from a tight end is a dependable short to mid-range target to go to when plays break down or the wideouts can't get open.

If Lee Evans can handle the increased double coverages he sees it probably won't make a huge difference. Even if he can there are questions about the offensive line and whether it can give the quarterbacks enough time to go deep.

The biggest beneficiary of Royal's signing may be Willis McGahee.
                            Everett can be the receiving TE.

Comment

Working...
                            X