PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Surprise of Training Camp in 2006....

bigbub2352
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
There has been alot of talk about what position battles to watch for, what prosition are you going to be watching in training camp to see who will be the starter, In my opinion every year there is a surprise in training camp, someone emerges, like jason peters, and rashard baker, jabri greer, it doesnt have to be a UDFA, or a drafted rookie, it can be a FA, or a veteran depth player, I think the guy to watch is Martin Nance, he could add an element to the team we have lacked for years a red zone threat. interested to hear what everybody has got to say......

patmoran2006
07-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I dont think Nance would be that much of a "surprise" to people around football circles, but I agree with you.. I'll be watching him pretty intently..

HHURRICANE
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
There has been alot of talk about what position battles to watch for, what prosition are you going to be watching in training camp to see who will be the starter, In my opinion every year there is a surprise in training camp, someone emerges, like jason peters, and rashard baker, jabri greer, it doesnt have to be a UDFA, or a drafted rookie, it can be a FA, or a veteran depth player, I think the guy to watch is Martin Nance, he could add an element to the team we have lacked for years a red zone threat. interested to hear what everybody has got to say......

Nance is a good one. For me it's Yobouty or Simpson. I think one of those guys is starting by the end of pre-season.

Amare
07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Josh Reed

OpIv37
07-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Peerless Price :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't know much about him, but I'm hoping it will be Kyle Williams because we need so much help at DT.

And I liked what I saw from Eric King last year- his only problem is the plethora of young DB's this team has.

ParanoidAndroid
07-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Jason Hall

mysticsoto
07-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I think Bowen might surprise some people. And while I don't think he'll likely start over Whitner, he just might gain some rotation time if he excels in TC!

OpIv37
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I think Bowen might surprise some people. And while I don't think he'll likely start over Whitner, he just might gain some rotation time if he excels in TC!

I hope you're right but I kind of consider Bowen to be more of an ST acquisition (which I don't mind- you can't maintain the best ST in the league by doing nothing). But I'm in Skins country and I talked to a few of their fans about him, and they said he's slow and not well-suited for the cover 2. So I think he'll be an asset on ST but I don't see him doing much on D. We have enough young DB's that hopefully we won't need him to play S too often.

bigbub2352
07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I think Matt Bowen will spell the end for Coy Wire, Bowen will mentor Whitner and provide better depth and ST play than Coy could, plus Matt can play both SS and FS so that also helps, Jason Hall is also my second pick with the hole at the 4 spot on the DE rotation it will be very interesting

Jan Reimers
07-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Of the lesser heralded guys, I think LB Keith Ellison and Tackle Brad Butler may play well.

BBUnit1974
07-10-2006, 02:16 PM
liam eziekel i think this guy has it for a mlb

madness
07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Bowen is actually perfect for the cover 2, that is why he was brought here in the first place. It's all so why Whitner can't slip up and must play up to his potential. Bowen could see a lot of time on the field spelling both safety positions. Either way this position battle will be an awesome one to watch.

I say Whitner will still end up surprising most that doubted he should have been the Bills #1 draft pick. This guy has all the tools minus the experience. It's one thing to say you have the playbook down after missing most of the off-season workouts, but to show he had down all the schemes, substitution, and blitz packages with what little time he had on the field was very promising. Promising enough that the coaching staff feels he has what it takes to start. We will see this guy get better each week he steps on the field. If Clements can return to form this season, opposing offenses will be using their own zone on that side of the field... It will be dubbed a "no throw zone".

SCOUTING REPORT: SS Matt Bowen is an ideal cover 2 safety with good range and is physical in run support. He is not quick enough to play receivers man to man, but he excels in zone coverage. He's a hard-hitting and sure tackler who makes ball carriers pay for coming into his area. Bowen plays with intensity and a high motor. He is good at getting through traffic and making plays in pursuit. While he lacks top speed, he's a savvy defender who is rarely caught out of position. Bowen faces a stiff challenge from first-round pick Donte Whitner for the starting job, but Bowen will be a key contributor on defense and special teams.

YardRat
07-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Quarterback...Craig Nall.

bigbub2352
07-10-2006, 02:39 PM
A think Brad Butler will be a very good pick for us in two years, all that i have read about him is that he has all the tools to be a starter, just needs to get stronger and put more weight on, but most rookie Olineman fall in that catagory

bigbub2352
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
i hope nall replaces holocomb on the roster, and we give the three spot to a young guy

OpIv37
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
SCOUTING REPORT: SS Matt Bowen is an ideal cover 2 safety with good range and is physical in run support. He is not quick enough to play receivers man to man, but he excels in zone coverage. He's a hard-hitting and sure tackler who makes ball carriers pay for coming into his area. Bowen plays with intensity and a high motor. He is good at getting through traffic and making plays in pursuit. While he lacks top speed, he's a savvy defender who is rarely caught out of position. Bowen faces a stiff challenge from first-round pick Donte Whitner for the starting job, but Bowen will be a key contributor on defense and special teams.

well I didn't pay much attention to Bowen personally, so what I heard is just fans' opinions. Hopefully they're wrong and this report is right.

If this report is right, we may see something that no one here has considered: a starting defensive backfield that has Bowen and Whitner at the two safety slots and Vincent on the bench.

madness
07-10-2006, 03:10 PM
well I didn't pay much attention to Bowen personally, so what I heard is just fans' opinions. Hopefully they're wrong and this report is right.

If this report is right, we may see something that no one here has considered: a starting defensive backfield that has Bowen and Whitner at the two safety slots and Vincent on the bench.

Wow, I never thought of that scenario. Wasn't Vincent caught out of position a few times last year at safety?

OpIv37
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Wow, I never thought of that scenario. Wasn't Vincent caught out of position a few times last year at safety?

with the way the D was ran last year, who knows? I thought Nate Clements was out of position a lot last year (odd for a CB that's usually in man coverage) but a lot of people here seemed to think he was just doing what Jerry Gray told him to.

THATHURMANATOR
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
JP losman will be the surprise player.

ICE74129
07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
It had better be Dante Whitner. he was picked 8th as a safety, he better be all world.

Night Train
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Ko Simpson

djjimkelly
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
kevin everett size speed combo will show up at camp

bigbub2352
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
he will be young skywalker, he will be...

Billsrock4life
07-10-2006, 08:27 PM
kevin everett size speed combo will show up at camp

agreed Kevin Everett should do well......

Luisito23
07-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Yeah definetly Kevin Everett...I got a real good feeling 'bout this kid...

GO BILLS!!!!

bigbub2352
07-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I sure hope kevin Everett will emerge, it has been a long time since we have had any type of threat at the TE position, it would be nice to have a saftey falve for the offense as well as a TE red zone threat

jamze132
07-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Suprise, suprise... My vote is for Jeff Posey and Angelo Crowell. I think Posey will play more DE than anything allowing Crowell to play opposite of Spikes. There is no way you have Crowell on the bench. And letting Posey just go after the QB might just light a fire up under his ass. Even if they want to go with what they already have on the D-line, without using Posey as a DE, they can still have a few packages where he is like a 4th LB going for the QB. Obviously though this kind of depends on the health of Spikes. If he can't play, we will be in the same boat as last year.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I like Losman, Butler, Simpson, and nobody has mentioned our other 1st rounder so I will take McCargo. I hope McCargo plays really well this year and shows those draft guys where to stick it.

Amare
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Roscoe Parrish