PDA

View Full Version : Late round sleeper in the supplemental draft?

TigerJ
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Marco Martin plays DT at 6'3" and 300 lbs, prototypical size for a DT in the Tampa 2. He runs the 40 in 4.7. He's available in the supplemental draft. Should the Bills take a flyer on him with a late round pick if he's available, say in the 7th round? It would cost them their 7th round pick next April. Here's the downside. Though Martin played for BCS champion Texas Longhorns, he got on the field precious few times, stuck behind Rodrique Wright, who was highly touted before the draft, but dropped like a rock. and Larry Dibbles, an all Big 12 lineman. Martin is going to be as raw as they come. Would he be worth trying to carry on the roster or the PS until he can be developed?

Yeah, I know this is not much to talk about, but it is that time of year, the doldrums before training camp.

YardRat
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm always wary of taking big guys from southern programs to play in Buffalo. Their nut-sacks tend to shrivel up at the first sign of snow or cold weather.

Bill Cody
07-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Their nut-sacks tend to shrivel up at the first sign of snow or cold weather.

And you know this how?:eek2:

YardRat
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Drew told me...in reference to Mike Williams.

Lexwhat
07-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Marco Martin plays DT at 6'3" and 300 lbs, prototypical size for a DT in the Tampa 2. He runs the 40 in 4.7. He's available in the supplemental draft. Should the Bills take a flyer on him with a late round pick if he's available, say in the 7th round? It would cost them their 7th round pick next April. Here's the downside. Though Martin played for BCS champion Texas Longhorns, he got on the field precious few times, stuck behind Rodrique Wright, who was highly touted before the draft, but dropped like a rock. and Larry Dibbles, an all Big 12 lineman. Martin is going to be as raw as they come. Would he be worth trying to carry on the roster or the PS until he can be developed?

Yeah, I know this is not much to talk about, but it is that time of year, the doldrums before training camp.

Personally, I don't know much about the guy. But if the Bills decided to take him and sacrificed a 6th/7th rounder, I wouldnt mind it. If he's got enough talent, he's worth a shot.

By the way, if he doesnt get drafted in the supplemental draft, can he still sign onto a team via free agency? Or is there some special rules involving supplemental draft players (can't be signed for at least a year, etc...)

R. Rich
07-11-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm always wary of taking big guys from southern programs to play in Buffalo. Their nut-sacks tend to shrivel up at the first sign of snow or cold weather.
Yeah, like that loser Sam Adams or that even bigger loser Pat Williams...

jamze132
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Can somone describe the "supplimental draft" to me? I have a lot of knowledge about foosball, but this one still escapes me.

Captain gameboy
07-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Ya. Guys that have various things occur to them after the regular draft, can declare for the supplemental. The NFL runs it in mid-late July.
It's a conference call type thing wherein if you're interested in a player, you bid for him in a certain round. The draft order goes the same as that years concluded draft.
If you are the high bidder, you get him and give up a choice in that same round in the next year's draft.

Classic case is Ahmad Brooks from Virginia.
He got tossed out of UVA's football program after the draft, so he entered the sup.

There's a little more to it regarding eligibility, but that's the back of the matchbook explanation.

bigbub2352
07-11-2006, 09:28 AM
supplemental draft is for players that one reason or another were net eligable for the draft, they have 7 rd like the regular draft if u take someone u forfeit pick for next year, after that they can sign via UDRFA

Jan Reimers
07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Martin may be worth giving up a 7th rounder next year, although we already have a number of project-type DTs who are also PS candidates.

bigbub2352
07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
like who, no offense but we dont have any project DT, for the PS, Kyle Williams, Tim Anderson, Larry Tripplett, and John McCargo will be the DT on this roster after that the talent drops way off, we got to sumoain guys one couldnt start in NFLE and the other we cut twice already, Lawaylon Brown was cut by like 3 teams, and Jason Jeffereson is awful, he got cut alreay by 2 other teams, so i would feel better about taking this kid or trying to sign him after the draft if nobody takes him, better that those other shleps MAYBE

Amare
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah for a 7th...

Captain gameboy
07-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Bumpage.

Sup draft is today.

SABURZFAN
07-13-2006, 09:47 AM
why bother?i'd rather keep my picks for the REAL draft.