PDA

View Full Version : AVP not to be 2nd string?

Quizlet2002
08-15-2002, 11:20 AM
I do not understand how they could possibly be thinking of putting the Brown guy over AVP- He has worked his ass off for this organization. He even thought he had a starting job after his wonderful performance last year... I just dont understand this

JefftheBillsfan
08-15-2002, 12:31 PM
IMO AVP hasn't looked good in the few time i have seen him this season.

Rude American
08-15-2002, 12:35 PM
But he was magnitudes better than RJoke.

HenryRules
08-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Backup QB isn't like backup LB or backup RB, they never touch the field. IMO, there's two backup QB slots on every team.
First, there's the backup QB when the starter is healthy, who acts almost like a coach on the sideline and points out weaknesses in the defense, etc. I think AVP is good for this job due to his experience and familiarity with a lot of the defenses we'll be playing. I don't think AVP will lose this job.
Second, there's the backup QB when the starter is injured for a long stretch. This is the one that will actually get to go on the field for an extended period of time. Right now, I don't have much faith in either of our backups to fulfill this role, but maybe that'll change throughout camp. With a QB as durable as DB (last year is the first year he has really missed any sort of time due to injury), I don't think its necessarily as important to have the second type of backup (playing backup) as it is to have the first type I listed (coach backup). Because of this, I'd be suprised if AVP doesn't get the nod as "second-string" QB.

justasportsfan
08-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Gruden was pretty pissed about the miscommunication that went on at Tampa. He said he wanted that career back up qb of the bills to compete with Brad Johnson. He meant AVP. When the other guy heard career backup he thought JG was talking about Rob. It's too late.:banned:

Quizlet2002
08-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Rob is starting for Tampa right?

Quizlet2002
08-15-2002, 01:18 PM
LOL--- about RJ.... I was watching some Giants broadcast talking about all the NFL QB's they got to RJ in tampa and showed his first play and getting sacked, some dude, from back said

"Ahh- Thats it. His season is over."

I thought it was hilarious

FlownTheCoop
08-15-2002, 01:22 PM
I doubt Travis will be the No. 2 - the coaching staff is still high on AVP (after all, he was almost our starter...)

Maybe in a few years Brown will be a back up, but it's deceptive when Travis goes against the opposition's third-string defense. And he did get cut by Seattle last year, who don't exactly have a great pair of QBs...

Michael82
08-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Something tells me that AVP might be injured of something. I haven't seen him practice much lately and he has been walking slow in camp.

justasportsfan
08-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Something tells me that AVP might be injured of something. I haven't seen him practice much lately and he has been walking slow in camp.

He's catching up with his movie reviews. Walking slow? Buttered popcorn.:biggrin:

northernbillfan
08-15-2002, 01:35 PM
AVP has been a trooper thru all the QB controversies.

It is time to start looking at the future for back ups and Brown will be our back up long after AVP has hung up the helmet. Better to get him shape now than later.

Gunzlingr
08-15-2002, 01:48 PM
After last year, I kinda like AVP. I almost got a new jersey with his #10 (seriously). From what I have seen/heard/read, he is the coaching type of backup, very smart with limited physical skills. I think that they should keep him around.

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2002, 02:05 PM
Something tells me that he won't be too upset to be third string for 1 million dollars.

FlownTheCoop
08-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Plenty of cash left over for popcorn...

THATHURMANATOR
08-15-2002, 02:16 PM
He likes his corn huh FTC???

casdhf
08-15-2002, 04:52 PM
AVP is descent, but the 2nd QB should be the guy that plays better...as simple as that

Typ0
08-15-2002, 07:32 PM
1) AVP is a great guy and excellent addition on the sidelines. Has no business playing though he's not well rounded enough to be a winning QB in the NFL. Worst is there is no where for him to go but down.

2) TB we have no idea about but he does appear to have the skills just needs to mature. There is no where for him to go but up.

Which would you choose?

TigerJ
08-15-2002, 07:57 PM
In the opinion of GW, TB has earned more reps. "He's cool under pressure, makes good decisions and had done everything we've asked of him" (paraphrase of GW's comments. I like AVP too, but everyone know he doesn't have much of an arm. TB, in addition to all the nice things GW said about him, has a nice live, accurate arm. If he'd gone through a major college program, who knows, he might be a starter in the league now. AVP will never be any better than he is now. In fact at his age, his athleticism has got to be in decline. For TB to improve, he's got to be put in a position of having to perform. It's probably time to consider the switch.

Buffarama
08-15-2002, 08:07 PM
Once again, my surprise cut is AVP. Apparantly Gilbride has sized him up and has his own opinion. Unless AVP wakes up, Brown deserves to be 2nd string. Why pay a third string 2nd string money. If AVP falls out of the second string, and unless Priestly (?) really sucks, he's gone.

TigerJ
08-16-2002, 01:59 PM
In the crazy world of professional football, anything is possible. I wouldn't say it couldn't happen, Buffarama.

Earthquake Enyart
08-16-2002, 02:03 PM
I'll hold a clipboard for $1 million. Maybe even $500,000.

BillsNYC
08-16-2002, 03:28 PM
how do you not love ol' pudge van pelt???

i wouldn't take less than 250,000 to hold a clipboard