PDA

View Full Version : The New Coaching Style

ghz in pittsburgh
07-11-2006, 08:22 AM
This Bills team will play true to their capability. Now whether that's good enough for playoff, noone really knows. But it will probably give us a good assessment about how good is our scouting department, how good is Modrak as a talent evaluator.

Why? Look at Marv said in PFW, on coaching:

They’re instituting a style of play that I like very much — it’s based on simplicity, hustle, conditioning, repetition, not on mirrors and bells and whistles.”

And read about what's in Chris Brown's blog - http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1. (http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1) Notice the following:
What gives me confidence is the coaching staff. If Jauron and Fairchild believe that running the football is their strength I actually believe they're going to do it. Do I have a record to prove they will do what they say? No. But I do get the feeling that they're more interested in focusing on what their team does best than in deceiving an opponent with something else.

So looks like Levy wanted it, and he's getting it from his coaches, a style of football that lets athletes simply play, not so much of a disguise or top loaded systems Gregg Williams or Mike Mularkay were installing before.

I'd say that being in a top loaded system, you can look like a genius if you get it right, and you can look like trash when you hit it wrong. We witnessed good and bad from both Gregg and Mike the last 5 years. Now we are going for the basics - better players instead of fancy schemes. We shall see indeed we have solid players to compete in this league.

justasportsfan
07-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Moolarkey kept preaching about simplifying Gilbrides system and not asking players to do what they cannot do. I'll have to wait and see this time around.

jamze132
07-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Wow, if every coach is asking our players to keep it simple and they are still screwing up, what does that say?

ICE74129
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Wow, if every coach is asking our players to keep it simple and they are still screwing up, what does that say?

What we already know, the talent level sucks.

Jan Reimers
07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all?

madness
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM

This couldn't be further from the truth. MM and GW quotes about keeping it simple were nothing but lip service. We all have seen the complicated blitz schemes JG and GW use to conjure up. How many trick plays did we see MM and KG pull or how many times did we watch MM and KG fail miserably trying to "out think" the other team? They labeled our team a smash-mouth football team then proceeded to pass on virtually every third down.

Marv described it best... smoke and mirrors. Marv always stuck to his guns when he was coach and it's a shame that anyone would think this time would be any different.

It's a new era, peoples. In Marv we Trust!