PDA

View Full Version : The five greatest moments in Buffalo Bills history

The_Philster
07-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Although the Bills' history has been filled with plenty of devastating moments, there has also been a good deal of triumph. Winning two American Football League titles in the mid 1960s certainly stands near the top, as does going to four straight Super Bowls a decade and a half ago. The Bills tasted bitter defeat in all of those games, but being the AFC's best team between 1990-1993 is a special accomplishment in its own right.
Since there have been a bevy of terrific moments in the Bills' 46-year run, it's not an easy task to get everything into a countdown of just five. more
(http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/07/buffalo-bills-moments120706.html)

Captain gameboy
07-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Of course a story about the five greatest moments in Bills history has to start out with:
"Although the Bills' history has been filled with plenty of devastating moments."

Its almost like we have to apologize.

I will give him credit for one thing though. I think that is the first time in recent memory that a story about Stratton's hit on Lincoln explained the game situation. We were in very big trouble early when that hit changed the game.
The other thing about it was how visible it was. It was a bit of a high throw and Linkcoln had both arms up. Stratton had a full head of steam. They were all by themselves everyone who was there who ever played a game knew what was going to happen two seconds before the crunch.
I thought he killed him.

chernobylwraiths
07-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Someone needs a dictionary for what the word moment is. Stratton's hit and maybe Jim Kelly's plane arriving can be considered a "moment" but not a whole game. It should be something like: (not necessarily in order)

1. Mike Stratton's hit
2. Jim Kelly crossing the goaline on the final play to beat the Dolphins
3. Cristie's overtime kick to complete "the comeback"
4. Joe Ferguson to Roland Hooks "hail Mary" pass to beat the Patriots
5. (this one is fuzzy so I'm not really sure) Joe Ferguson's pass to Ahmad Rashad to complete an amazing last two minutes and beat the Raiders at home on Monday Night Football.

Captain gameboy
07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Someone needs a dictionary for what the word moment is. Stratton's hit and maybe Jim Kelly's plane arriving can be considered a "moment" but not a whole game. It should be something like: (not necessarily in order)

1. Mike Stratton's hit
2. Jim Kelly crossing the goaline on the final play to beat the Dolphins
3. Cristie's overtime kick to complete "the comeback"
4. Joe Ferguson to Roland Hooks "hail Mary" pass to beat the Patriots
5. (this one is fuzzy so I'm not really sure) Joe Ferguson's pass to Ahmad Rashad to complete an amazing last two minutes and beat the Raiders at home on Monday Night Football.

I agree amount the moment thing, but I would put the fourth down TD to Reed after the timeout as the "moment" in the comeback game.
After that play, I thought the outcome was a fait accompli.
The Oilers were in total shock.

TacklingDummy
07-12-2006, 07:15 AM
What about OJ being the first and only back to run for 2000 yards in 14 games?

If Roger Maris can have a asterisk next to his name for breaking Babe Ruths record in more games then the babe, how come the guys who broke OJs record don't have one?

Earthquake Enyart
07-12-2006, 07:19 AM
The "moment" during the comeback game was when Christie recovered his own onside kick.

Captain gameboy
07-12-2006, 07:19 AM

You are correct. I remember it well.
The best part was that it was a quick slant in front of eventual Hall of Famer Willie Brown, who Rashad was having a field day against, in spite of Howard's non stop talking about Brown, much the way the ESPN Sunday night crew has singled out one guy and talked about him ad nauseam.

Historian
07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
You're right Cher.

Fergy's TD pass to Roosevelt Leaks was a moment in the 1980 opener.

ICE74129
07-12-2006, 09:30 AM
1) the hiring of Bill polian. Most of those listed wouldn't have happened if not for him.

#1 Worst moment) when Ralph fired Bill Polian. This team was crap before polian and has been crap since. The math is easy to figure out.

Historian
07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
As for a game that was a turning point in the franchise, I would point to the November 29, 1987 shutout of the fish. (27-0)

The players knew themselves that management was putting together a good team for the first time in several seasons, but that game cemented it in the eyes of the vets like Smerlas, Ritcher, etc...

chernobylwraiths
07-12-2006, 11:16 AM
You are correct. I remember it well.
The best part was that it was a quick slant in front of eventual Hall of Famer Willie Brown, who Rashad was having a field day against, in spite of Howard's non stop talking about Brown, much the way the ESPN Sunday night crew has singled out one guy and talked about him ad nauseam.

I'm pretty sure that game was a local blackout, so I never heard him and, sorry to say this guys, I was too young to remember much of the game if I even heard it. That was just a retelling from what my father used to say was the greatest game he ever witnessed. My dad was a season ticket holder on the 50 yard line until about the late seventies when the cost became too much for him to take and he gave them up.

I remember the Rosey Leaks TD in 80 but we had lost so many heartbreakers to them I wasn't counting any chickens until the final gun.

Regarding the comeback game, the TD on 4th down that brought us to within 11 I think it was, was the play that had me thinking they could really do it, but the Oilers regrouped late in the game as were driving for a go ahead TD until a great stop by the D forced them to kick a field goal to tie. That is why I said Christie's FG. I guess it could also have been Henry Jones's INT in overtime when it was all but over.

patmoran2006
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
I didnt even read the article, but the 51-3 murder of Oakland to go to our first Super Bowl needs to be in there, as well as the comeback win over Houston (of course)

Don't Panic
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I didnt even read the article, but the 51-3 murder of Oakland to go to our first Super Bowl needs to be in there, as well as the comeback win over Houston (of course)

Those were one and two you lazy bast... just kidding. I was at both of those games. Good times, good times.

chernobylwraiths
07-12-2006, 06:18 PM

Didn't read the replies either. A moment is more like a play, not a game.