X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Here is one thing I don't get

The past two seasons everyone had playoff expectations going into the season, although we really hadn't made any big upgrades going into each year. Now this season everyone has us pegged for last place yet we have made some nice moves and upgrades in players and in coaching. I don't get it....
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Re: Here is one thing I don't get

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
    The past two seasons everyone had playoff expectations going into the season, although we really hadn't made any big upgrades going into each year. Now this season everyone has us pegged for last place yet we have made some nice moves and upgrades in players and in coaching. I don't get it....

And don't forget, we had a really good team in 2004. Sure we beat some poor teams at the end of the season, but we killed these teams, and they were NFL teams. A few bounces at the beginning of that season and we would have easily won the WC.

Plus, we've shared a division with the best team in football for the last 5 years. It's kinda tough to win a division when the best team in the whole league is your competition.

NE has taken a bunch of hits the last few years and they should finally be mortal and back with the rest of the pack. If that happens, it’ll be nice not having the league powerhouse in our division.
    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

Two reasons, I think.

First, we didn't live up to those predictions, so once bitten- twice shy.
      Second. No continuity at two critical spots. QB and coaching staff.

The Bills are a total unknown this year.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

First, going into 04 everyone thought the coaching was the problem- remember Kevin Killdrive and his complete inability to run the ball? The D and ST were tops in the league- we just needed a little bit of O. The lack of huge off-season acquisitions was not a problem.

Second, going into 05- the Bills had finished 04 on a hell of a winning streak (7-2 if I remember correctly) and came only one game short of the playoffs. The D remained intact except Pat Williams. We got Anderson for the OL (who turned out to be a bust but we didn't know that at the time) so we were supposed to be better there- the only real question mark going in was JP. (and for the record, I thought we were going to struggle last year- I'm sure Tatonka and justa remember the conversations).

Third, it takes a hell of a lot of upgrading to go from 5-11 to playoffs, and it's debatable how much upgrading we actually did. Let's go down the list

Coaching- Firing MM may be addition by subtraction, but Jauron has a losing record. I'll have to call this a push until we actually see Jauron coach.

QB- Push
        RB- Mild upgrade with Thomas as a back-up
        OL- Slightly upgraded but may not be enough
        TE- this is one position that I think was truly upgraded
        WR- worse than last year- too many ?'s

DE- Push
        DT- I have to say worse here. We replaced Adams with Tripplett but we still only have one proven starter, some rookies, and the same garbage we had last year
        LB- Push, may be better if TKO is ready
        CB- Push- may have added depth with Youboty
        S- This one's tough to call. We got younger and but also less experienced. Since we got Bowen, a #8 draft choice and a steal with Simpson, I'll call it improved.

ST- Push (but that's ok since we were best in the league last year).

IMO that's not a lot of upgrading over a 5-11 team.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

Not everyone had expectations for this team going to the playoffs. I didn't get fooled by the 2004 finish. I could still tell Mularkey was a loser and we wern't going anywhere. I had us pegged for 6 or 7 wins last year.

As far as this year goes I don't see where these big upgrades are at. Most of them have never had an ounce of success in the NFL.

As far as the coaching upgrade goes...don't get too far ahead of yourself. Jauron had 4 horrible seasons out of 5. I recall most people thinking Mularkey was a huge upgrade too over Gregg Williams and look how that turned out.

Just brining in somebody different doesn't always mean it's an upgrade. Mike Mularkey is all the proof you need with that. Even Gregg Williams was proof to that. Everyone thought we were set because we got rid of Wade Phillips and we had a real coach now.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            First, going into 04 everyone thought the coaching was the problem- remember Kevin Killdrive and his complete inability to run the ball? The D and ST were tops in the league- we just needed a little bit of O. The lack of huge off-season acquisitions was not a problem.

Second, going into 05- the Bills had finished 04 on a hell of a winning streak (7-2 if I remember correctly) and came only one game short of the playoffs. The D remained intact except Pat Williams. We got Anderson for the OL (who turned out to be a bust but we didn't know that at the time) so we were supposed to be better there- the only real question mark going in was JP. (and for the record, I thought we were going to struggle last year- I'm sure Tatonka and justa remember the conversations).

Third, it takes a hell of a lot of upgrading to go from 5-11 to playoffs, and it's debatable how much upgrading we actually did. Let's go down the list

Coaching- Firing MM may be addition by subtraction, but Jauron has a losing record. I'll have to call this a push until we actually see Jauron coach.

QB- Push
            RB- Mild upgrade with Thomas as a back-up
            OL- Slightly upgraded but may not be enough
            TE- this is one position that I think was truly upgraded
            WR- worse than last year- too many ?'s

DE- Push
            DT- I have to say worse here. We replaced Adams with Tripplett but we still only have one proven starter, some rookies, and the same garbage we had last year
            LB- Push, may be better if TKO is ready
            CB- Push- may have added depth with Youboty
            S- This one's tough to call. We got younger and but also less experienced. Since we got Bowen, a #8 draft choice and a steal with Simpson, I'll call it improved.

ST- Push (but that's ok since we were best in the league last year).

IMO that's not a lot of upgrading over a 5-11 team.
            How is DT worse? Adams barely played. We added 2 young quick Dlinemen in Mcargo and Tripplet.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

How is DT worse? Adams barely played. We added 2 young quick Dlinemen in Mcargo and Tripplet.
              last year, we had one proven starter in Adams and we got pushed all over the field. He didn't play a lot at the end, but he did play a lot at the beginning of the season. This year, we still have only one proven starter- Tripplett. Now, if McCargo starts next to Tripplett (and many people say he won't- they'll rotate), then this position could be better. If he doesn't, Tripplett/McCargo next to Anderson/Sape/Jefferson is no better than Adams next to Anderson/Sape/Jefferson, which is what got us killed last year.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

How can you give that explanation and say you think they will be worse?

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

How can you give that explanation and say you think they will be worse?
                  because I don't think Tripplett is as good as Adams- he's just a better fit for the system. And DT is a heavy rotation position so it's likely that both McCargo and Tripplett will be on the bench at some point. Jefferson and Sape at DT scares the **** out of me.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by gameboy
                    Two reasons, I think.

First, we didn't live up to those predictions, so once bitten- twice shy.
                    Second. No continuity at two critical spots. QB and coaching staff.

The Bills are a total unknown this year.
                    I agree, and also think it's because we didn't do the blockbuster moves like Bledsoe, Spikes, Milloy, et. al. We went more for young, motivated, solid FAs and draft picks, who many people assume will be of little help this year or, in the minds of some "realists," ever.

Just like many feel JP is a bust after an 8 start career.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      because I don't think Tripplett is as good as Adams- he's just a better fit for the system. And DT is a heavy rotation position so it's likely that both McCargo and Tripplett will be on the bench at some point. Jefferson and Sape at DT scares the **** out of me.
                      Adams was a waste last year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Adams was a waste last year.
                        not at the beginning of the year, and we still got pushed all over the field. It went from bad to worse when he got benched.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

The fact this question is being asked shows why I say most here are lacking knowledge of the game.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                            The fact this question is being asked shows why I say most here are lacking knowledge of the game.
                            I know as much if not more than yourself!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

If you really think about it ICE if you realists has so much more football knowledge you would have warned us about how bad they were going to be the last 2 seasons....

Comment

Working...
                              X