• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The Reality of the 2006 Buffalo Bills

This homer/realist thing has gotten out of control, so I'm just going to state this as clearly as I possibly can.

The Buffalo Bills are coming off a 5-11 season and clearly had a plethora of issues that needed to be addressed in the off-season. Instead of going after/re-signing big-names, they are apparently trying to build for the future with youth, depth, and by taking some chances on cheap players trying to resurrect their careers (Gibson and Price).

The 2006 season depends on the following things happening:

-Jauron and the new coordinators being the right people for the job
    -The players on both sides of the ball learning the new systems and executing well within them
    -JP finally getting it and improving over the course of the season
    -McGahee staying healthy and having the right attitude to play at the level we all know he's capable of
    -the changes on the OL being not better than last year but actually good enough to give JP and Willis a chance
    -Lee Evans stepping up as a true #1 and guys like Parrish, Davis, Price and/or Reed finding ways to contribute at WR
    -The TE position being part of the offense, which has been lacking basically since McKellar left
    -The DL being improved over last year with Tripplett and McCargo
    -TKO rebounding from his injury
    -Nate Clements rebounding from a bad season
    -Whitner contributing as a rookie
    -the new system developing a pash rush with the front 4
    -ST maintaining the high level of play they've had over the last 2 years.

Some of these things will happen, and some of them won't. Some of them are a hell of a lot more likely than others.

The only real difference between the homers and the realists is that the homers believe enough of these things will happen in 2006 for the Bills to make a run at the playoffs, and the realists don't.

Personally, I'm sure some of these things will happen, but I don't think it will be enough to salvage the season. I just think there are too many question marks going in. I want to see the Bills win the Super Bowl, but since I don't think that's realistic, my more realistic expectation is this: I want to see the the Bills look a hell of a lot better by the end of the season, meaning I want JP to be putting up slightly above average QB numbers, Whitner and McCargo to be starting, and some of these lesser names/lower draft picks contributing. And I want to see the team play their hearts out for the entire season rather than quitting like they did last year.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: The Reality of the 2006 Buffalo Bills

Good post, OP. I'm upbeat about the Bills, but while I believe anything in sports is possible, I really don't look for a playoff season in 2006, either.

But I want - and expect - a great amount of improvement in attitude and execution, in the development of our young players, and in the Bills' overall commitment to putting a winning team on the field in 2007.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

OP had an epiphany!

Praise the Lord!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

The only real difference between the homers and the realists is that the homers believe enough of these things will happen in 2006 for the Bills to make a run at the playoffs, and the realists don't.
        The only real difference between the homers and the realists is that the homers believe enough of these things MIGHT happen in 2006 for the Bills to make a run at the playoffs, and the realists WON"T EVEN ENTERTAIN THE POSSIBILITY.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
          The only real difference between the homers and the realists is that the homers believe enough of these things MIGHT happen in 2006 for the Bills to make a run at the playoffs, and the realists WON"T EVEN ENTERTAIN THE POSSIBILITY.
          well there's a possibility I could die driving up 95 on my way home from work today. But it's so small that I don't entertain the possibility. Otherwise I'd be writing a will, buying life insurance and making good-bye phone calls to friends and family rather than posting here.

If it wasn't possible they wouldn't play the games. But the likelihood is so small that to me, it's not worth considering.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
            That's definitely more like it.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              This homer/realist thing has gotten out of control, so I'm just going to state this as clearly as I possibly can.

The Buffalo Bills are coming off a 5-11 season and clearly had a plethora of issues that needed to be addressed in the off-season. Instead of going after/re-signing big-names, they are apparently trying to build for the future with youth, depth, and by taking some chances on cheap players trying to resurrect their careers (Gibson and Price).

The 2006 season depends on the following things happening:

-Jauron and the new coordinators being the right people for the job
              -The players on both sides of the ball learning the new systems and executing well within them
              -JP finally getting it and improving over the course of the season
              -McGahee staying healthy and having the right attitude to play at the level we all know he's capable of
              -the changes on the OL being not better than last year but actually good enough to give JP and Willis a chance
              -Lee Evans stepping up as a true #1 and guys like Parrish, Davis, Price and/or Reed finding ways to contribute at WR
              -The TE position being part of the offense, which has been lacking basically since McKellar left
              -The DL being improved over last year with Tripplett and McCargo
              -TKO rebounding from his injury
              -Nate Clements rebounding from a bad season
              -Whitner contributing as a rookie
              -the new system developing a pash rush with the front 4
              -ST maintaining the high level of play they've had over the last 2 years.

Some of these things will happen, and some of them won't. Some of them are a hell of a lot more likely than others.

Personally, I'm sure some of these things will happen, but I don't think it will be enough to salvage the season. I just think there are too many question marks going in. I want to see the Bills win the Super Bowl, but since I don't think that's realistic, my more realistic expectation is this: I want to see the the Bills look a hell of a lot better by the end of the season, meaning I want JP to be putting up slightly above average QB numbers, Whitner and McCargo to be starting, and some of these lesser names/lower draft picks contributing. And I want to see the team play their hearts out for the entire season rather than quitting like they did last year.
              Welcome to the Homers Op!

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                Welcome to the Homers Op!
                You know, it appears to me that there are two different groups of "homers"- people like you, justa and EE who aren't expecting much but seem to be open to the possibility of success, and idiots like Skooby who actually believe this team is one of the better ones in the NFL.

It's the latter group that annoys the hell out of me.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

well there's a possibility I could die driving up 95 on my way home from work today. But it's so small that I don't entertain the possibility. Otherwise I'd be writing a will, buying life insurance and making good-bye phone calls to friends and family rather than posting here.

If it wasn't possible they wouldn't play the games. But the likelihood is so small that to me, it's not worth considering.
                  I used to drive I-95 between Fredricksburg and downtown D.C. every day, and that was 25 years ago. Get a will.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    I used to drive I-95 between Fredricksburg and downtown D.C. every day, and that was 25 years ago. Get a will.
                    I live in Alexandria and work in Woodbridge so I don't go nearly that far. But I go against traffic so it moves very quickly.

I'll take your advice.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I-95 from the Northeast to Center City Philadelphia here.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

The possibility of you winning the lottery is also very small, then why do you continue to play and check the numbers everytime?

Being a fan of football isn't about being a realist. It's about being a fan, about having hopes.. Otherwise you're just a critic.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                          The possibility of you winning the lottery is also very small, then why do you continue to play and check the numbers everytime?

Being a fan of football isn't about being a realist. It's about being a fan, about having hopes.. Otherwise you're just a critic.
                          there is always hope- just not very much of it for this year.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Do you ***** about not winning the lottery at every drawing?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                              Do you ***** about not winning the lottery at every drawing?
                              1. I don't care nearly as much about the lottery as I do about the Bills
                              2. There are 2 lottery drawings a week- a hell of a lot more if you count all the different games and stuff they have, or if you live in an area where you can play in 2 or 3 states at a time. The Bills get one chance a year- if they **** it up, you have to wait another whole year for them to try again.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X