PDA

View Full Version : Darcy on GR55

chernobylwraiths
07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/

it is an audio clip called Darcy on AM show

Some brief things from the interview:

He said he is done signing free agents. He is looking to keep his own right now.

Ryan Miller is not in the same situation as Huet. They are dealing with Ryan on a restricted free agent basis. They will look to sign him to a long term contract AFTER this next contract. (after he becomes and unrestricted free agent?)

Unrestricted free agents next year:
Afinogenov
Tallinder
Dumont
Briere
Kotalik
Lydman

:(

It just doesn't look good for after next year. Almost like they have one year left at a good run. Out of that list, I can only see Briere and Tallinder as necessary to keep.

Michael82
07-12-2006, 06:42 PM
:nervous:

JD
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Necessary to keep? You wouldnt keep Afinogenov or Dumont?

chernobylwraiths
07-12-2006, 08:41 PM

I can take or leave Dumont. He could dominate if he chose to play all the time, but he seems ininterested at times and I wouldn't mind trading him. As for Max, I really like him, but if he keeps lapsing into "old Max" the guy who skates all over the ice with the puck and then gives it away, then he needs to go. Plus, he has the most upside and he might be the most expensive to keep. I also think he would bring the most in a trade.

How about Max, Dumont, Biron and Lydman for Ovechkin? :D

BlackMetalNinja
07-12-2006, 10:07 PM
How about Max, Dumont, Biron and Lydman for Ovechkin? :D

No thanks.. a million times no thanks. One scorer is not worth all that at all. Max and Dumont = Ovechkin's numbers and Lydman is a defensemen that is about to come into his own. Biron we obviously don't need, but overall, that deal would be insane.

THATHURMANATOR
07-12-2006, 10:27 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/

it is an audio clip called Darcy on AM show

Some brief things from the interview:

He said he is done signing free agents. He is looking to keep his own right now.

Ryan Miller is not in the same situation as Huet. They are dealing with Ryan on a restricted free agent basis. They will look to sign him to a long term contract AFTER this next contract. (after he becomes and unrestricted free agent?)

Unrestricted free agents next year:
Afinogenov
Tallinder
Dumont
Briere
Kotalik
Lydman

:(

It just doesn't look good for after next year. Almost like they have one year left at a good run. Out of that list, I can only see Briere and Tallinder as necessary to keep.
I don't see it that way. Again we have tons of young talent. We will most likely keep Briere and Tallinder, and who knows about the rest and who else league wide is available.

THATHURMANATOR
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
No thanks.. a million times no thanks. One scorer is not worth all that at all. Max and Dumont = Ovechkin's numbers and Lydman is a defensemen that is about to come into his own. Biron we obviously don't need, but overall, that deal would be insane.
I would do it in a second. Ovechkin is one of the elite players in the league, and a total gamebreaker. He would take us to the next level. Lydman is not a young kid he is pushing 30, although he would be the one I would hate to lose the most.

All this being said no way Washington would pull the trigger on that trade.

ddaryl
07-13-2006, 05:41 AM
What a bite in the ass, we didn't do a damn thing to get better this offeseason. In fact we took a big step backwards IMO, and Darcy says he's done.

jamze132
07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
What a bite in the ass, we didn't do a damn thing to get better this offeseason. In fact we took a big step backwards IMO, and Darcy says he's done.
Think about it. Why do we need any more players? We are already overloaded as it is. Besides, we really don't need anyone else to get us into the playoffs. We were 2 injury away from the Stanley Cup. We didn't really lose anyone that is needed. You could argue for Mckee, but I think Spacek is equal if not better than him. We are fine!

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Explain how we took a step back..... Spacek is better than Mckee IMO. Grier was a solid tough player but easily replaced by one of the young players. We have 12 guys going to arbitration how could he be very active in FA?

Earthquake Enyart
07-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Don't forget that we still may get something for Biron.

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Think about it. Why do we need any more players? We are already overloaded as it is. Besides, we really don't need anyone else to get us into the playoffs. We were 2 injury away from the Stanley Cup. We didn't really lose anyone that is needed. You could argue for Mckee, but I think Spacek is equal if not better than him. We are fine!
:hi5:

SabreEleven
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
I think we are going to be even better this year. I bet our offense will be even better and our younger players are a year older with some experience. I'm excited and can't wait....

Philagape
07-13-2006, 09:28 AM
It is better to keep our own guys, which is going to be pretty expensive. We replaced McKee, and there are plenty of prospects coming up. We went so far with such young players that can still get better with experience. That will be an upgrade right there.

bigbub2352
07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I think Darcy needs to sign these guys to longer term deals not just one year crap, give 3 years, especially Talinder and Lydman, What is the point of having a team here when every year we let our prime guys go and replace them with prospects

ddaryl
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Explain how we took a step back..... Spacek is better than Mckee IMO. Grier was a solid tough player but easily replaced by one of the young players. We have 12 guys going to arbitration how could he be very active in FA?

Spacek has O upside, but we lost a premiere shot blocker and a big heart. I do not agree about Spacek being better we gained some and lost some here.

We lost Griere and say what you want he was a force in the playoffs. Let's hope a young player can play with that much intensity for 3 or more grueling playoff rounds.

You need grit, and McKee and Grier we're definitley a big part of the grit in our lineup.

We'll see, but I am not happy about being done in FA, and I don't believe in the constant rotation of youth movement.
It is also unforgiveable to have so many FA's on a team , and then offering 1-2 year deals IMO is just sad. This is not commitment IMO.

We'll see, but I really don't think we're a better team then we we're last year. I just don't, and the vibe coming out of the Sabres offices is "woe is us".

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Spacek has O upside, but we lost a premiere shot blocker and a big heart. I do not agree about Spacek being better we gained some and lost some here.

We lost Griere and say what you want he was a force in the playoffs. Let's hope a young player can play with that much intensity for 3 or more grueling playoff rounds.

You need grit, and McKee and Grier we're definitley a big part of the grit in our lineup.

We'll see, but I am not happy about being done in FA, and I don't believe in the constant rotation of youth movement.
It is also unforgiveable to have so many FA's on a team , and then offering 1-2 year deals IMO is just sad. This is not commitment IMO.

We'll see, but I really don't think we're a better team then we we're last year. I just don't, and the vibe coming out of the Sabres offices is "woe is us".
We definitly lost some grit! I will agree with that!
Before last year who made a big deal about blocked shots?
Spacek is a perfect fit for this quick moving team.
This is the way we will stay competitive Daryl. Reiger is keeping his options open and replenishing with young talent. The only downfall for this team will be if we start having bad drafts.

ddaryl
07-13-2006, 11:11 AM
we'll see.

I can't shake being negative towards this franchise, because its really been a hell ride for too long with our inability to remain competitive do to finances.

This all could be for the better, but no matter how hard I try I am just getting that sinking feeling in my gut.

Offering top players 1-2 year deal, not being able to spend up to the cap if we wanted too. Spacek is someone who does inspire hope, but losing both Grier and McKee still bums me out.

There is just too much not feeling right about the Sabres for me this offseason. The only thing that will probably be able to shake it is a strong start to next season, and then the continued consistency we saw this year. Maybe then I can really believe it'll be ok. but then there is the whole uni fiasco. Great hockey in a crappy new look....

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
we'll see.

I can't shake being negative towards this franchise, because its really been a hell ride for too long with our inability to remain competitive do to finances.

This all could be for the better, but no matter how hard I try I am just getting that sinking feeling in my gut.

Offering top players 1-2 year deal, not being able to spend up to the cap if we wanted too. Spacek is someone who does inspire hope, but losing both Grier and McKee still bums me out.

There is just too much not feeling right about the Sabres for me this offseason. The only thing that will probably be able to shake it is a strong start to next season, and then the continued consistency we saw this year. Maybe then I can really believe it'll be ok. but then there is the whole uni fiasco. Great hockey in a crappy new look....

I would be slightly bummed if we had just lost Mckee and Grier and did nothing but they did go out and get a top 10 Free agent in Spacek. In any publication on free agency I have read, Spacek was higher rated than Mckee. How can we feel bad about paying him almost a mil a year less?
Reiger did go out there and get us a solid player. We have 12 Free agents. How can we offer large long term deals to all? He gave Campbell a 2 year contract. We are easily 5 deep with NHL ready forwards in Rochester so losing Grier, who's leadership will be missed, will also be absorbed.

bigbub2352
07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
i dont see paying someone who had 3 goals in the playoffs all in the same series the first one, and 7 goals in the regular season 1.75 mill to be here, come on one of the young guys can step up, but as for McKee would have loved to have him back

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I would have loved to have Mckee back at 3 mil a year AT MOST!

JD
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I dont think hes worth more than 2mill. One good season, he cant score..at all really. Hes like an advanced peters.

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I dont think hes worth more than 2mill. One good season, he cant score..at all really. Hes like an advanced peters.

You need to put down the crack pipe. He is a very good defensive defenseman.

JD
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
You need to put down the crack pipe. He is a very good defensive defenseman.
Nah. Watch him suck it up this year then you can come lick my balls clean.

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2006, 05:01 PM

I would have gone up to what we payed Spacek.

Conversely, we gave Campbell triple his salary and he has really only played one year. So, if we pay our 6th best defenseman an average of 1.5 million, that means we should pay Tallinder a lot more than that and Lydman made 2 million last year.

Right now, we have something like 8 million for the defensemen we have so far (Campbell, Spacek, and Nummenin). We still need to sign Lydman, Tallinder and Kalinan. I think reasonably we can say that those three will cost $7 million at least. That's $15 on 6 defensemen and we only have about $19 million left for forwards and Miller (not even counting Biron's 2.1 million). Drury makes about 3 and Hecht makes about 2 with Vanek at let's just say 1. Now we are left with $13 million (using $34 million the Sabres said they would pay in payroll) to pay 9 forwards and two goalies. I think you can see where I'm going with this. We still have to give Briere, Afinogenov, Connelly, Miller, Dumont rasies or at least decent contracts. That's why I don't see Dumont here and maybe Max. Hell, if Briere's contract talks don't go well, they might get rid of him.

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Nah. Watch him suck it up this year then you can come lick my balls clean.

He might not play well this year being on a bad team but the Blues are spending to get better.

Maybe you should grow up though.

JD
07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah lets grow up because sarcasm shows lack of maturity.

Captain serious should calm himself over there.

And Campbell got an extra mill for the umberger hit alone :rofl:

Michael82
07-13-2006, 10:31 PM

Conversely, we gave Campbell triple his salary and he has really only played one year. So, if we pay our 6th best defenseman an average of 1.5 million, that means we should pay Tallinder a lot more than that and Lydman made 2 million last year.

Right now, we have something like 8 million for the defensemen we have so far (Campbell, Spacek, and Nummenin). We still need to sign Lydman, Tallinder and Kalinan. I think reasonably we can say that those three will cost $7 million at least. That's $15 on 6 defensemen and we only have about $19 million left for forwards and Miller (not even counting Biron's 2.1 million). Drury makes about 3 and Hecht makes about 2 with Vanek at let's just say 1. Now we are left with $13 million (using $34 million the Sabres said they would pay in payroll) to pay 9 forwards and two goalies. I think you can see where I'm going with this. We still have to give Briere, Afinogenov, Connelly, Miller, Dumont rasies or at least decent contracts. That's why I don't see Dumont here and maybe Max. Hell, if Briere's contract talks don't go well, they might get rid of him.
Good post! They were talking about this on WGR550 today and it made me wonder. The thing is, if they don't get new deals done with some of these players now, they might get screwed at arbitration. Afterall, the judge may see 8 or 9 players there and feel they owe a lot more. Just imagine if Max was given $5 million. Henrik Tallinder $4million, JP Dumont $4 million, I wouldn't be shocked if Briere was given $6 or $7 million at arbitration and that would really **** up Darcy's plans. The money that they put aside for the raises and new contracts wouldn't be enough. Someone would have to get traded.

THATHURMANATOR
07-13-2006, 11:41 PM

I got lost at your 1000thd scenario. Bottom line St Louis WAY over paid for Mckee. I am happy for him but the Blues will soon realize they were ripped off. Mckee is a gritty #3 or 4 dman.

Dozerdog
07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Good post! They were talking about this on WGR550 today and it made me wonder. The thing is, if they don't get new deals done with some of these players now, they might get screwed at arbitration. Afterall, the judge may see 8 or 9 players there and feel they owe a lot more. Just imagine if Max was given $5 million. Henrik Tallinder $4million, JP Dumont $4 million, I wouldn't be shocked if Briere was given $6 or $7 million at arbitration and that would really **** up Darcy's plans. The money that they put aside for the raises and new contracts wouldn't be enough. Someone would have to get traded.Mikey- you have no clue.

Cut all of those figures in half at a minimum

Michael82
07-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Mikey- you have no clue.

Cut all of those figures in half at a minimum
they werent my numbers, they were WGR's. They said that they werent realistic numbers, but just imagine if they get a judge who is still thinking of the old expensive NHL and he goes overboard with some of the guys. That would definitely surprise the Sabres and many other people. But it is possible.

jamze132
07-14-2006, 04:25 AM
All this negative nancay crap...

You know, we are not in worse shape than last year. And I guaruntee when Buffalo has to stand their watch the Stanley Cup banner be raised before their first game, it will only make them work harder since everyone wearing a Sabres uniform knows that Carolina didn't deserve it. If we had just one more of our regular defenseman in Game 7, we would be hosting Carolina while we hoist up our banner. No offense to Edmonton, but the winner of the cup was coming our of the East anyways.

There is nothing to be pissed about this offseason. We will be even better this year, you will all see.

Earthquake Enyart
07-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Anybody who gets an outrageous arbitration award will be traded. Period.

THATHURMANATOR
07-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Anybody who gets an outrageous arbitration award will be traded. Period.
Absolutly!!! Bye Bye Max

jamze132
07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't see how Buffalo will not make a profit this year even if they maxed out their cap. We didn't sell out every home game last year, we probably will this year, or at least come close to it. And when the playoffs roll around, they will make as much if not more than they made last year.

I think they will be fine with paying the guys in arbitration. They aren't going to trade anyone if the number is too high. They will still make a profit next season.

THATHURMANATOR
07-14-2006, 08:57 AM
They only made a 3 mil profit last year and they almost made it to the finals. They can't bank on going that deep every year.

SabreEleven
07-14-2006, 09:23 AM
All this negative nancay crap...

You know, we are not in worse shape than last year. And I guaruntee when Buffalo has to stand their watch the Stanley Cup banner be raised before their first game, it will only make them work harder since everyone wearing a Sabres uniform knows that Carolina didn't deserve it. If we had just one more of our regular defenseman in Game 7, we would be hosting Carolina while we hoist up our banner. No offense to Edmonton, but the winner of the cup was coming our of the East anyways.

There is nothing to be pissed about this offseason. We will be even better this year, you will all see.

I never thought of that. The Sabres watching them raise that banner is going to be a great motivator for the year...

chernobylwraiths
07-14-2006, 11:05 AM
They only made a 3 mil profit last year and they almost made it to the finals. They can't bank on going that deep every year.

Their profit for the year was between 4 and 5 million. They made close to 1 million profit from the regular season alone. I don't know what the figures are if they sell out the season, but the NHL needs to get a major television contract if the small markets are to survive. Or at least get a minor deal of their own to sell their games. I wonder what the status is on that new Empire Sports Network and if they'll broadcast games?

Michael82
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
they werent my numbers, they were WGR's. They said that they werent realistic numbers, but just imagine if they get a judge who is still thinking of the old expensive NHL and he goes overboard with some of the guys. That would definitely surprise the Sabres and many other people. But it is possible.
BUMP!!! :ill:

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 04:08 PM

For me, Max is at the top of my list of "walk away" with the arbitration hearings. He's going to get an amount he doesn't deserve, all because of a career year. Max can skate, and he can show flash, but he just can't score. He gets mentioned in the same breath as Pavel Bure, but let's get real----There's no comparison. Pavel is a much better player than Max is, or will ever be.

For my $$, I'll take 2 other Russians in today's game: Ovechkin, or Malkin.

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 04:11 PM
And another thing:

Why is it when ever anyone brings up complaints that have legitimate backing, we're told to shut up? What is really sickening is how everyone continues to sit by and back Regier & Golisano as if they can do no wrong. Do you really think that Buffalo can continue to bring up Rochester player after Rochester player and win a Cup? I don't. Who in Rochester can replace Briere or Miller if they get away?

The raising of the banner on opening night in Carolina will deliver a different message, IMO:

Buffalo & Carolina used to be on the same level prior to the lockout, but Carolina has surpassed them. Rutherford isn't afraid to spend a little extra to get a Cup, while Darcy is scared to death to spend too much. :(

Michael82
07-23-2006, 04:15 PM
And another thing:

Why is it when ever anyone brings up complaints that have legitimate backing, we're told to shut up? What is really sickening is how everyone continues to sit by and back Regier & Golisano as if they can do no wrong. Do you really think that Buffalo can continue to bring up Rochester player after Rochester player and win a Cup? I don't. Who in Rochester can replace Briere or Miller if they get away?

The raising of the banner on opening night in Carolina will deliver a different message, IMO:

Buffalo & Carolina used to be on the same level prior to the lockout, but Carolina has surpassed them. Rutherford isn't afraid to spend a little extra to get a Cup, while Darcy is scared to death to spend too much. :(
Good post! And dont even think about them being able to bring up good players from Rochester, the Sabres are cheapening out on that too. They are only putting very young and inexperienced players on there, no one who is even close to ready. :ill:

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Good post!

Wow, another kudos! You and I are going to have to form a little clique here---The Realistic Sabres Fans. :cool:

They are only putting very young and inexperienced players on there, no one who is even close to ready. :ill:

True. I think Florida provides more talented players to the Amerks now than Buffalo does. Hell, with the penny pinching, most of the Buffalo-donated Amerks are going to be wearing the Sabres jersey next season. :punch:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, another kudos! You and I are going to have to form a little clique here---The Realistic Sabres Fans. :cool:

True. I think Florida provides more talented players to the Amerks now than Buffalo does. Hell, with the penny pinching, most of the Buffalo-donated Amerks are going to be wearing the Sabres jersey next season. :punch:
I wouldn't be surprised if Rochester breaks the relationship next year and goes fully to a Florida-Rochester relationship because at least they are supplying talented players that are ready to be called up and can win in the AHL.