PDA

View Full Version : Los Amigos de la Realidad

Mr. Cynical
07-13-2006, 01:55 AM
I applaud the Homers Club for their never ending optimism. It is my hope that you are all correct and that the Bills won't stink up the league like an old moldy jockstrap.

The Amigos did their duty when it was time to call for Drew "Stonefoot" Bledsoe's head. We also knew when it was time for Mr. "I'm Never Wrong" Donohoe to go.

The season has not yet started so we can all join hands in the hope our beloved team succeeds. But the unfortunate reality is that we have an ancient, unexperienced GM.....a retread HC nobody wanted and hasn't produced in the past....a putrid Oline....a thin Dline....an RB with a question mark....a QB with another question mark....a #1 WR who has never been a #1....a #2 WR who hasn't produced in years.....etc.

So, to my fellow Amigos....keep your rose colored glasses off and stay away from the Kool Aid. Let's try to be objective fans and put pressure on OBD when it's needed most!

Until then...GO BILLS!!!!!

:mex:

Captain gameboy
07-13-2006, 04:05 AM
Best case ever for immediate immigration reform.

John Doe
07-13-2006, 05:33 AM
I think a more realistic name for your org. would be:

"The Society of Sourpusses"

It really has a ring to it.

chernobylwraiths
07-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Got rid of Bledsoe because "it can't get any worse with anybody else at QB" - wrong

Got rid of Donahoe - you don't like who we got

Got a new HC with previous head coaching experience - you don't like who we got

You just can't please some people. They're rebuilding, what do you expect?

YardRat
07-13-2006, 06:22 AM
The Amigos did their duty when it was time to call for Drew "Stonefoot" Bledsoe's head.

That worked out really well so far, didn't it?

jamze132
07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
los Amigos!

Jan Reimers
07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Mr. C, I could repudiate each of your statements and turn them into a positive, but what's the use?

For instance, we have a GM with 50 years of football experience, more than any comparable executive in the NFL. . . a Head Coach with previous experience who, like many coaches before him, may be ready to win in his 2nd or 3rd stint. . . an improved O line . . . a D line tailored to the Tampa 2. . . etc., etc.

But I, too, realize that we are rebuilding, and am not expecting wonders at this point. I just feel that we are headed in the right direction, and am willing to give our old GM, our recycled head coach, and our very young team a couple of seasons to turn things around from the mess that Donahoe left.

Jan Reimers
07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
In fact, the biggest rift among Zoners and Bills' fans in general seems to be between those that think:

(1.) We have a lot of the right stuff in place - front office, coaching and player-wise - to show some improvement this year, and, with another good draft and a few decent FA additions, to be a good team in a year or two. We are not expecting to be in the playoffs this year, but we think things are headed in the right direction. Versus those that seem adamant that:

(2.) We have done virtually nothing right in our efforts to build a winning team. Levy and Ralph are too old, or too cheap or (insert your own joke or insult) to run a franchise; JP will never be any good; the O line and D line - particularly with the loss of the irreplacable Sam Adams - suck, and the young players we have there will never get any better; McGahee is a problem; the WR receiver corps, with the loss of Moulds, will be mediocre, etc., etc.

None but the most optimistic think that we'll make the playoffs - or even have a winning record - this season. It is our view of the short term future where there is the biggest difference.

Iehoshua
07-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Die, Bledsoe, Die!!!

Ding Dong, Drew is gone! Which ol' Drew? The stonefoot Drew! Ding Dong the stonefoot Drew is goooneeee!

***Disclaimer***
By "Die" I mean, suffer a case of bad indigestion which requires large amounts of Pepto.

Philagape
07-13-2006, 09:14 AM
The transition from Drew to JP will be worth what happened last year.

OpIv37
07-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Got rid of Bledsoe because "it can't get any worse with anybody else at QB" - wrong

different isn't necessarily better

justasportsfan
07-13-2006, 09:26 AM
different isn't necessarily betterback to being a pest ,I mean pessimist are we? :D

Marv and co. are unknowns. TD and co. are guaranteed failures. I'd rather deal with the unkown than a sure bust.

Mr. Cynical
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
In fact, the biggest rift among Zoners and Bills' fans in general seems to be between those that think:

(1.) We have a lot of the right stuff in place - front office, coaching and player-wise - to show some improvement this year, and, with another good draft and a few decent FA additions, to be a good team in a year or two. We are not expecting to be in the playoffs this year, but we think things are headed in the right direction. Versus those that seem adamant that:

(2.) We have done virtually nothing right in our efforts to build a winning team. Levy and Ralph are too old, or too cheap or (insert your own joke or insult) to run a franchise; JP will never be any good; the O line and D line - particularly with the loss of the irreplacable Sam Adams - suck, and the young players we have there will never get any better; McGahee is a problem; the WR receiver corps, with the loss of Moulds, will be mediocre, etc., etc.

None but the most optimistic think that we'll make the playoffs - or even have a winning record - this season. It is our view of the short term future where there is the biggest difference.

Good summary. :up: I would probably add a "1a" to include those people who think we are "a few pieces" away from being a serious contender.

Let's be realistic here for a moment....honestly, how many years do you (or the rest of Group 1) really think Ralph and Marv have left in football? Because IMO, this is the key to the success of the team, along with the terrible choice in HC (again, IMO).

If we are truly in a rebuilding mode, it takes at least 2-3 years to make a serious run at *best*. The cases where a team went from the basement to the penthouse in 1 year are very, very rare and shouldn't be put into the equation for any but the most optimisic (Group 1a).

If we make it to the dance in 3 years while Ralph and Marv are still lucid, then great, we did it. If not, and we are still bad to mediocre, then what? Marv is not going to be a GM in his mid 80s. I hate to be the one to say it but there comes a point where the physical demands of all those hours catch up with you, even for men who are decades younger. I don't want a GM who is not able to keep up with the job.

So if he retires, then a new GM comes on board. That means a new HC. And that means another system. And that means more time to get where we want. So it's not about Group 2 whining or never being happy, it's about the reality of our front office (and to a large extent, our players).

If we had a younger GM (I mean, even someone at lthe egal retirement age of 65) and a coach who has acutally produced (remember, not one of his defenses EVER was in the top 10), then I would be FAR more optimistic. I'd say great, we have guys to build the team over the next 5-10 years. Take your time, do it right. But that's not the case.

In reality this team can't afford to be in a rebuilding mode because of our front office. But we have to be in rebuilding mode because we stink. That's the conundrum.

Mr. Cynical
07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
That worked out really well so far, didn't it?

Yes, it did. None of the Amigos said this team would be a winner with just the axing of Leadfoot. It was simply one of many moves that needed to be made to start the process.

Oh, and btw - Dallas missed the playoffs too.

Mr. Cynical
07-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Read my reply to Jan.

Jan Reimers
07-14-2006, 04:39 AM
In reality this team can't afford to be in a rebuilding mode because of our front office. But we have to be in rebuilding mode because we stink. That's the conundrum.
I agree, Mr. C, that Ralph and Marv - at their ages - shouldn't be saddled with the odious task of rebuilding, and may not be around to ultimately enjoy the fruits of their labor. But who knows?

One thing's for sure, though. We're rebuilding not by choice, but because of the incompetence of "young" Tom Donahoe.

Captain gameboy
07-14-2006, 04:59 AM
I don't think the GM scenario with Marv is the typical your job till you screw it up situation. So I don't think his eventual departure will result in other serious staff changes.
I think he was brought in to stabilize a wobbly organization, and I think part of his job will be to groom a replacement. Maybe not so much this year, but I think an heir apparent will start to emerge next.
I don't think he expects to be here more than two-three years, and I expect the transition will be friendly and well under control.
Not the usual staff upheaval.

Truthfully, I could substitute the word hope for the word think in this entire post, because I really hope we get young and dynamic along with maintaining the knowlege and skills of Marv at the managerial and owner level.

CuseJetsFan83
07-14-2006, 08:34 AM
ya know, as an "outsider" i can relate...... similar things going on with us.

anyways, if the fans dont have hope, then why are you fans??

yeah, granted you can accept the fact its not going to be a superbowl caliber winning season, hell i can accept the fact that the jets wont do better than 8-8, but will i be happy if its past that..............

damn right i would be!!

why do optimists look for the bright side?? because they can, just as much as the pessimists can piss and moan about this being this way, that one way, etc.

all ya can do is believe and hope/pray/secularly bode....

Mr. Cynical
07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
It's not about we "hope" and "want" to happen. It's about what we "think" is the highest "probability" of happening. We realists always hope for the best, otherwise, as you said, why be a fan?

But this is a discussion board. To discuss what we hope happens is only one side of the debate and is more emotional than rational in its logic.

finsrclowns
07-14-2006, 12:59 PM
It's not about we "hope" and "want" to happen. It's about what we "think" is the highest "probability" of happening.

What are you a math teacher or a fan?:candle:

Iehoshua
07-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Perhaps both...