PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about this time of year

carybillsfan
07-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Why is it every year, every NFL team waits so long to sign draft picks? There is absolutely nothing, nada, zilch going on in NFL right now. Why aren't GM's out there signing their picks and making sure future investments of millions of dollars show up to camp on time. It makes no sense to me. I've often heard GM's refer to draft day as Christmas, when they get all the presents on their wishlist. I don't know about you but when I got the presents I wanted I opened them immediately and didn't 3 months(and counting) to take them out of the box.

SABURZFAN
07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
:xmas:

R. Rich
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Why is it every year, every NFL team waits so long to sign draft picks? There is absolutely nothing, nada, zilch going on in NFL right now. Why aren't GM's out there signing their picks and making sure future investments of millions of dollars show up to camp on time. It makes no sense to me. I've often heard GM's refer to draft day as Christmas, when they get all the presents on their wishlist. I don't know about you but when I got the presents I wanted I opened them immediately and didn't 3 months(and counting) to take them out of the box.

I haven't the slightest inkling about what goes on during contract negotiations (unlike some here on the board), but my guess is that it isn't totally up to the teams to get these players signed. Agents (again, just a guess) are probably looking to see what kind of deals the players picked around their guy gets, so they know how to negotiate w/ their guy's team.

carybillsfan
07-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I haven't the slightest inkling about what goes on during contract negotiations (unlike some here on the board), but my guess is that it isn't totally up to the teams to get these players signed. Agents (again, just a guess) are probably looking to see what kind of deals the players picked around their guy gets, so they know how to negotiate w/ their guy's team.

That may be true for 1st round picks, although I think it has something to do with what the same selection the previous year received. But why do later round picks take forever and a day to sign? I believe the eagles have signed at least half of their picks, they shouldn't be the outlier the should be the norm.

Captain gameboy
07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
It's like a giant domino game.
Once the first guy who is a top first rounder gets done, it sets the market, and off they go.