30 Seconds With Bruce Smith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

30 Seconds With Bruce Smith...

30 Seconds
    With Bruce Smith
    By Frank Litsky
    Published: July 16, 2006

For 19 seasons, Bruce Smith was the prototypical N.F.L. pass-rushing defensive end, with the Buffalo Bills (1985 to 1999) and the Washington Redskins (2000 to 2003). He retired as the career sacks leader with 200. (Sacks became an official N.F.L. statistic in 1982.)

At Virginia Tech, he won the Outland Trophy as the nation’s best interior lineman. He was elected to the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame this year. Smith, 42, works in real estate development in Virginia Beach.

WHAT HE LIKED ABOUT COLLEGE The experience of being on my own. You start growing into being a man. You pick and choose the people who are the most important to you.

WHEN HE REALIZED HE HAD SPECIAL TALENT In my sophomore year, there was the game against West Virginia when I hit Jeff Hostetler so hard that I knocked him out. He got up, took a couple of steps and went down again.

DID HE CONSIDER PLAYING BASKETBALL RATHER THAN FOOTBALL IN COLLEGE? I gave it thought for about two seconds. While I might have had potential, I don’t think I would have had the time to play two sports, and I loved football too much not to play it.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COLLEGE AND THE PROS College can seem stressful, but you have just as much fun as you can. Those were good years. You didn’t have to worry about bills or your 401(k). Life was so simple. When you become a pro, you have all those things to think about, and you’re only as good as your last game.

WHAT HE LEARNED FROM COACH BILL DOOLEY IN COLLEGE Be on time. Be respectful. Go to class. Be responsible.
    Link
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

• Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: 30 Seconds With Bruce Smith...

Did he retire as a Bill? I don't recall him signing a one-day contract...

Comment

• BillyT92679
      • Jul 2002

Oh if only he could have hit Jeff Hostetler hard enough to cause a fumble in the endzone in SB XXV.
      Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Amare
        Don't Call It A Comeback!
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by BillyT92679
        Oh if only he could have hit Jeff Hostetler hard enough to cause a fumble in the endzone in SB XXV.
        I know right!

Comment

Working...
        X