Being a pessimist is taking the easy way out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Being a pessimist is taking the easy way out.

It's easy to say everything sucks, and be right, than to believe. It's easy to say we won't make the playoffs and be right since 20 teams don't make the playoffs every year. It's easy to say we will never win a Super Bowl because 31 teams don't every year. It's easy to say Marv will be a bad GM because he's never done it before, and it's his first year with the Bills in rebuilding mode.

Pessimists take the easy way out, and expect credit for it when they're right. Sorry, not gonna happen. That's like predicting USC football will make a bowl game and proclaiming yourself a genius when it happens.

I'd rather hope on the long shot that things will go right than to be fairly certain that everything sucks, and let that get in the way of the fun of being a Bills fan.

The odds are on your side, pessimists. But I refuse to become one of you. I'd rather stop watching football.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Being a pessimist is taking the easy way out.

If this isn't the stupidest "us vs. them" pissing match I've ever seen on a message board, I don't know what is.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
      If this isn't the stupidest "us vs. them" pissing match I've ever seen on a message board, I don't know what is.
      You don't remember Flutie vs. Johnson?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Flutie/Johnson was a classic QB controversy that at least had meritable arguments on both sides.

Fan vs. fan with the only basis consisting of what type of fan you are is just plain dumb-ass.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Great thread, Log
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• lordofgun
            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

I disagree. It affects the whole fandome and definitely this message board. It sucks to log on and always read about how much we're gonna suck with pessimist arguing with pessimist about who should get the credit and who said we'd suck first.

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

To have fans at each other's throats like the Flutie-Johnson stupidity made us laughingstocks around the league..and now, coming on here to see so many claiming we're gonna suck, we're gonna suck, we're gonna suck...it's nauseating. Fan is short for fanatic..
              .A person affected by excessive enthusiasm
              http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/Fanatic
              Isn't enthusiasm generally regarded to be a positive emotion?
              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

It sucks to log on and always read about how much we're gonna suck
                I've never gotten that impression...at least not to the point where it was dominating the boards. Most threads seem pretty balanced to me.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• shelby
                  The Vanilla admin
                  • Jul 2002

Thank you log! Well said!

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by The_Philster
                    To have fans at each other's throats like the Flutie-Johnson stupidity made us laughingstocks around the league
                    QB controversies always split fans into camps...it's a quality that is inherent to the nature of the situation. It happens to any fan base of any team that is experiencing one. Hell, even in the glory years there were fans that thought Reich should be elevated to starter over Kelly...it's the nature of the position.

I can honestly say I've never seen an argument amongst fans that deteriorated to the point where they were split into groups determining what kind of fan they were.

If any pre-game show ever did a spot on a discussion like this...THEN you'd see laughing-stock.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

I truly think it was nastier with the Flutie-Johnson thing than with most.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by The_Philster
                        I truly think it was nastier with the Flutie-Johnson thing than with most.
                        I don't disagree with that...I never quantified my position by the level of nastiness. It's not about how nasty the discussions become...it's about the subject matter that the discussions are based on.

QB vs QB...Flutie vs Johnson...Losman vs Holcomb...understandable.

Fan vs fan...'homer' vs 'realist'...dumb-ass.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                          It's easy to say everything sucks, and be right, than to believe. It's easy to say we won't make the playoffs and be right since 20 teams don't make the playoffs every year. It's easy to say we will never win a Super Bowl because 31 teams don't every year. It's easy to say Marv will be a bad GM because he's never done it before, and it's his first year with the Bills in rebuilding mode.

Pessimists take the easy way out, and expect credit for it when they're right. Sorry, not gonna happen. That's like predicting USC football will make a bowl game and proclaiming yourself a genius when it happens.

I'd rather hope on the long shot that things will go right than to be fairly certain that everything sucks, and let that get in the way of the fun of being a Bills fan.

The odds are on your side, pessimists. But I refuse to become one of you. I'd rather stop watching football.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

you're dead wrong. First, I've never claimed to be a genius- in fact I've openly admitted several times that I'm predicting the most likely outcome (hence the term "realist"). I'm not trying to make any bold predictions or prove that I'm smarter than someone else- just saying what I honestly think is going to happen based on past results and knowledge of football (not superior knowledge- just average fan knowledge).

Second, if us pessimists are right, we still lose because it means the Bills suck. When I predicted that the Bills would struggle last year, I didn't come back and post any "I told you so" threads because being right is little consolation when the Bills suck.

And as hard as this may be for you to believe, some of us can admit that everything sucks about this team and still have fun. In fact, a win is all that much sweeter when you're expecting a loss. An optimist can never be pleasantly surprised- he can only been disappointed.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

No they are realists log....

Comment

Working...
                              X