PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Gibson tidbit

TigerJ
07-18-2006, 12:16 AM
On the official Bills site forums, someone started a thread asking about the progress of Aaron Gibson. One poster said in respons that he has a friend who is a journalist for a local rag covering the Bills. He has been to the OTAs and has talked to players and coaches. He reports that Gibson has lost 35 lbs since working with the Bills under he close supervision of the Bills' new conditioning guru (ie. Rusty Jones clone). He has bought into what the Bills are doing, loves working under Jim McNally. His weight loss is continuing and since it is being closely managed by the Bills strength and conditioning coach, he's losing fat, not muscle. The word is that Mcnally is very impressed with Gibson's measurables. Speculation is that Gibson could prove capable of starting, and that could inspire the Bills brain trust to make the move of Peters to LT.

Take it for what you will. Here's the link. Read down through both pages to get everything.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139188

billsburgh
07-18-2006, 12:20 AM
If true, that would be great news. He would at least add some solid depth along the line. this should be one of the things we have Mikey watch for at camp.

Amare
07-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd love that move, Peters-Reyes-Fowler-Villarial-Gibson
(Gibson+Villarial) already played 2gether in Chi-Town.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-18-2006, 05:12 AM
If this is true and Gibson has made a committment to getting and keeping his weight under control, it would be a HUGE plus for the Bills. He has always had the talent and, when in shape, can be a real monster. I'll have to see it to believe it, but I will be absolutely delighted if he comes into camp ready and able to play as well as I have seen him play in the past. If he does, it will be interesting to see how the Bills decide to make use of him.

It's funny what being out of a job and sitting at home with nobody interested in hiring you can sometimes do to motivate a guy like Gibson who didn't know what he had until it was gone. Mike Williams hasn't gone through that yet, although I'm not sure that even that would motivate Williams to get his butt in shape.

SABURZFAN
07-18-2006, 05:16 AM
i'll wait for a more reliable source to give the scoop on gibson.that guy could be an ICE for all we know.

Meathead
07-18-2006, 05:23 AM
i really liked him in the patriot

YardRat
07-18-2006, 05:36 AM
Good news, if true, for Gibson and the team. I hope he does well.

don137
07-18-2006, 06:28 AM
i'll wait for a more reliable source to give the scoop on gibson.that guy could be an ICE for all we know.

I heard the source was Skooby's rich friend....Seriously though...I am with LBF I will have to wait to see it to believe it. Gibson has to know this is his last chance in this league so that could be his motivating factor. We will have to wait until camp opens and we get the truth from the zones own beat reporter...Mikey

THATHURMANATOR
07-18-2006, 06:54 AM
If by some miracle this guy can return to the form that made him a #1 pick and start at right tackle our line would really be upgraded...

Goobylal
07-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Wait, wasn't that YOU TJ, who said in the BB.com thread that Gibson looked fat again in photos?

KMA
07-18-2006, 08:15 AM
On the official Bills site forums, someone started a thread asking about the progress of Aaron Gibson. One poster said in respons that he has a friend who is a journalist for a local rag covering the Bills. He has been to the OTAs and has talked to players and coaches. He reports that Gibson has lost 35 lbs since working with the Bills under he close supervision of the Bills' new conditioning guru (ie. Rusty Jones clone). He has bought into what the Bills are doing, loves working under Jim McNally. His weight loss is continuing and since it is being closely managed by the Bills strength and conditioning coach, he's losing fat, not muscle. The word is that Mcnally is very impressed with Gibson's measurables. Speculation is that Gibson could prove capable of starting, and that could inspire the Bills brain trust to make the move of Peters to LT.

Take it for what you will. Here's the link. Read down through both pages to get everything.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139188

Lookout Patriots, here we come. lol

SABURZFAN
07-18-2006, 08:36 AM
If by some miracle this guy can return to the form that made him a #1 pick and start at right tackle our line would really be upgraded...

we'll see how motivated he really is.does he want it bad enough?like don said,we'll have Mikey keeping a close eye on gibson.

Michael82
07-18-2006, 09:28 AM
And this is again why we shouldn't have hired Brad "who cares if you're fat" Roll. :mad:

**** you Mularkey! You got rid of the only thing that kept this team in shape and proper condition, one of the best, in favor of your own guy. I'm glad our new Strength and Conditioning coach chose to ignore all the stuff he learned from Brad Roll and went back to the Rusty Jones style. :clap:

THATHURMANATOR
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Wait, wasn't that YOU TJ, who said in the BB.com thread that Gibson looked fat again in photos?
Even if the guy lost 40 pounds he is still a fatso, but at least he would be on the right track...

madness
07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
And this is again why we shouldn't have hired Brad "who cares if you're fat" Roll. :mad:

**** you Mularkey! You got rid of the only thing that kept this team in shape and proper condition, one of the best, in favor of your own guy. I'm glad our new Strength and Conditioning coach chose to ignore all the stuff he learned from Brad Roll and went back to the Rusty Jones style. :clap:

Exactly how I feel. MM gave up one of the best conditioning coaches in the NFL to bring in a friend. Hope his friendship lasts longer then his head coaching gig did. ****ing moron.

justasportsfan
07-18-2006, 10:17 AM

You're overreacting again. I see nothing wrong with feeding Mike Williams cheeseburgers and making TKO play w/ a slight achilles tear.

Kerr
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Encouraging to say the least, but I always thought gibson would be better inside replacing that loser villariel.

patmoran2006
07-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I dont see Gibson starting barring injury no matter what, I really dont.

Thats to take anything away from him.. I think he can be a valuable guy off the bench who can play multiple spots. You need depth at OL in the NFL, someone is always going down. I really think our starters our set, with one potential shocking surprise.. I really think if Preston has a very good camp he's going to unseat Villarrial at RG, which would send him packing.

I think Gandy is locked into starting LT for 2006.

X-Era
07-18-2006, 10:41 AM

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1 (http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139188)
39188 (http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139188)

To pull an amazing Kreskin, Im saying Gandy starts at RT for the first 8 games of until the bye and then Gibson takes over as Gandys age catches up with him.

I was a HUGE fan of Gibson in Wisconsin, and if we end up with just a few years out of him before he heads fat again, GREAT. Theres no doubt he has all the size, strength, and talent, its just the weight. I hope he becomes a staple at RT for many many years, but more often the guys struggling with weight put it back on.

X-Era
07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Even if the guy lost 40 pounds he is still a fatso, but at least he would be on the right track...

Hell, Id start Re-run from Whats Happenin if he can block!

It aint about weight, if the guy can get the job done.

Michael82
07-18-2006, 10:54 AM
You're overreacting again. I see nothing wrong with feeding Mike Williams cheeseburgers and making TKO play w/ a slight achilles tear.
:rofl:

Yeah, I forgot to blame Roll for Takeo too. :mad:

Michael82
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Exactly how I feel. MM gave up one of the best conditioning coaches in the NFL to bring in a friend. Hope his friendship lasts longer then his head coaching gig did. ****ing moron.
:hi5:

Goobylal
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
To pull an amazing Kreskin, Im saying Gandy starts at RT for the first 8 games of until the bye and then Gibson takes over as Gandys age catches up with him.
Gandy is younger than Gibson. Frankly I can't see the Bills messing with the chemistry by moving Gandy and Peters, and think that the only way we'll see Peters at LT this year is if Gandy gets hurt, which is a possibility since that was a problem of his in the past.

TigerJ
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Yeah that was me. Maybe he was even fatter before.

Actually I can't tell the date of that picture. It may have been early on in his fitness program and his weight loss had not yet had a chance to show

Goobylal
07-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah that was me. Maybe he was even fatter before.

Actually I can't tell the date of that picture. It may have been early on in his fitness program and his weight loss had not yet had a chance to show
How can you tell HOW fat he is in that pic? He'll always have that spare tire(s) around his waist.

chernobylwraiths
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
How can you tell HOW fat he is in that pic? He'll always have that spare tire(s) around his waist.

So you are saying he doesn't look fat in that photo?

Lexwhat
07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
I dont understand it...Gandy was the only consistent performer we had on our O-Line last year (except for maybe Peters), and people wanna bump him to 2nd string?? Our line isn't that good. IMO, There's a spot for Gandy on our line whether its Guard or Tackle.

If Gibson really is good enough to start, IMO, he should take over one of the Guard positions. I think we shouldnt really mess with the tackle spots, unless we shift Peters to LT and Gandy to RT. If we do end up putting Gibson at RT spot (he's obviously not gonna be ready for the LT spot), then Gandy should be shifted to Guard. I'm not sure how well Gandy will do at Guard, but I'm willing to bet he'll be better than Villarial.

Thoughts?

bigbub2352
07-18-2006, 03:02 PM
I think at most AAron Gibson will be a very veratile backup for us, he can play G or T and i dont know if he will be a starter but it is better than Lawerence Smith and Dylan McFarland backing every body up, at least this guy is proven

Goobylal
07-18-2006, 04:12 PM
So you are saying he doesn't look fat in that photo?
No, what I'm saying is he'll ALWAYS look fat, no matter WHAT his weight.

Goobylal
07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
I dont understand it...Gandy was the only consistent performer we had on our O-Line last year (except for maybe Peters), and people wanna bump him to 2nd string?? Our line isn't that good. IMO, There's a spot for Gandy on our line whether its Guard or Tackle.

If Gibson really is good enough to start, IMO, he should take over one of the Guard positions. I think we shouldnt really mess with the tackle spots, unless we shift Peters to LT and Gandy to RT. If we do end up putting Gibson at RT spot (he's obviously not gonna be ready for the LT spot), then Gandy should be shifted to Guard. I'm not sure how well Gandy will do at Guard, but I'm willing to bet he'll be better than Villarial.

Thoughts?
I like Gandy a lot, but since he's not the best, he can be improved-upon. I think Peters is the future at LT and will be a great one, and when he moves there, Gandy would make a fine LG, or maybe RT, where his trouble with speed rushers would be less of a problem.

billsburgh
07-19-2006, 12:11 AM

:bf1:

billsburgh
07-19-2006, 12:24 AM
:rofl:

Yeah, I forgot to blame Roll for Takeo too. :mad:
was it also him who had the bright idea of having Willis bulk up and play heavier and lose his quickness?

don137
07-19-2006, 06:20 AM
I do not see Gibson starting in week 1 unless there is an injury. It is almost impossible to have your OL healthy for all 16 games. I think Gibson will be a key player off the bench that will play guard or tackle if/when someone goes down barring that he plays to his level. A key part to success of a team is to have depth and Gibson could be great depth for the OL.

YardRat
07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'm still not convinced Peters is the answer at RT let alone solid enough to switch to LT...I'm waiting to see how this season plays out.

Jan Reimers
07-19-2006, 06:42 AM

I was a HUGE fan of Gibson in Wisconsin, and if we end up with just a few years out of him before he heads fat again, GREAT. Theres no doubt he has all the size, strength, and talent, its just the weight. I hope he becomes a staple at RT for many many years, but more often the guys struggling with weight put it back on.
Who knows, but isn't Gandy YOUNGER than Gibson?

Jan Reimers
07-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Yeah, Gibson will turn 29 a couple of games into the season. Gandy was 27 in January.

Goobylal
07-19-2006, 07:29 AM
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'm still not convinced Peters is the answer at RT let alone solid enough to switch to LT...I'm waiting to see how this season plays out.
You're right: you're in the VAST minority on this one.

mysticsoto
07-19-2006, 07:37 AM

Geez, what does Peters have to do to convince you? Already, his bargaining at a pt when he didn't have alot of leverage shows he wants to be a Bills fan. He's also said that the Bills were one of his favorite teams growing up. That's alot better than some people on our team that are just there for the money and probably rather play in Florida.

Money aside, Peters has done anything they've asked of him. TE, RT, possibly LT next, etc. He's also a great option for using tackle eligible plays to make defenses react to him. And no matter which way you look at it, he played great last year and was one of the most consistent linemen we had.

I don't know what else he can do to show his commitment to our team...

justasportsfan
07-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I would disagree. Huge , fat RT's and LT's are getting owned by athletic DE's these days which is why teams are looking for Peppers/Feeney type of DE's. Peters held his own in his rookie year and is athletic enough to keep up with those DE's given more time and experience.

madness
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
And no matter which way you look at it, he played great last year and was one of the most consistent linemen we had.

Tell me about it, how can you not be sold on him? Do we have to enter him in the QB race too?(I bet he makes at least 3rd string.) He practically outplayed everyone else on the line, even with all their "experience".

ublinkwescore
07-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Geez, what does Peters have to do to convince you? Already, his bargaining at a pt when he didn't have alot of leverage shows he wants to be a Bills fan. He's also said that the Bills were one of his favorite teams growing up. That's alot better than some people on our team that are just there for the money and probably rather play in Florida.

Money aside, Peters has done anything they've asked of him. TE, RT, possibly LT next, etc. He's also a great option for using tackle eligible plays to make defenses react to him. And no matter which way you look at it, he played great last year and was one of the most consistent linemen we had.

Nice Sig Mystic...

I liked the one with Kelly Monaco better though.

TigerJ
07-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I would disagree. Huge , fat RT's and LT's are getting owned by athletic DE's these days which is why teams are looking for Peppers/Feeney type of DE's. Peters held his own in his rookie year and is athletic enough to keep up with those DE's given more time and experience.

Which is why a 330-340 lb Aaron Gibson would be much preferable to a 370+ lb Aaron Gibson. I'm not advocating that he should start. I'm happy to let Jim McNally and Dick Jauron determine the starters, but Gibson always was freakishly athletic for his size. I remember college photos of him doing a split. For someone that big to be that flexible is downriright bizarre. I think a playing weight of 330 would let him handle just about any DE out there.

mysticsoto
07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Nice Sig Mystic...

I liked the one with Kelly Monaco better though.

Thanks.

In case you and Justa are missing it (he's a big fan of the old .sig also), here's a link:

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=321&pos=6

justasportsfan
07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Which is why a 330-340 lb Aaron Gibson would be much preferable to a 370+ lb Aaron Gibson. I'm not advocating that he should start. I'm happy to let Jim McNally and Dick Jauron determine the starters, but Gibson always was freakishly athletic for his size. I remember college photos of him doing a split. For someone that big to be that flexible is downriright bizarre. I think a playing weight of 330 would let him handle just about any DE out there.
I wasn't disagreeing w/ YR about Gibson. I was disagreeing that Peters might not be the answer. The kid is ahtletic enough.

justasportsfan
07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks.

In case you and Justa are missing it (he's a big fan of the old .sig also), here's a link:

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=321&pos=6Bring her back. :D

TigerJ
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I wasn't disagreeing w/ YR about Gibson. I was disagreeing that Peters might not be the answer. The kid is ahtletic enough.

OK. I do agree on Jason Peters. He looks to be a potential all pro in a couple years and a fixture for the next decade at one end or the other of the Bills' line.

Michael82
07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
was it also him who had the bright idea of having Willis bulk up and play heavier and lose his quickness?
yeah it was. :bf1:

mysticsoto
07-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Bring her back. :D

You got it, bud!!!

How's this new one???

X-Era
07-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Gandy is younger than Gibson. Frankly I can't see the Bills messing with the chemistry by moving Gandy and Peters, and think that the only way we'll see Peters at LT this year is if Gandy gets hurt, which is a possibility since that was a problem of his in the past.

I would disagree only from a logic stand point. The arguement here is that Peters is our best OT, with the best feet. That would seem to fit best at LT rather than RT. It would seem that logically your best OT should play your toughest OT spot, especially when he has the size and speed for it.

However, both players have lots of experience at their current positions, and change can cause problems. Thats something we dont need.

X-Era
07-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Thoughts?

Cannot disagree. I only say that if Gibson is an up and comer, we should find a way to play him on a putrid o-line.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-20-2006, 04:16 AM

Peters had 3 penalties and yielded one and a half sacks in his first 10 games as a starter at RT. That translates into four and a half penalties and just under 3 sacks over the course of a 16 game schedule. That already ranks him as average-to-above-average, even if he does not get any better. What more can you ask from a guy who is starting for the first time and did not make the switch to RT until a year before his first start?

I doubt that Peters gets switched to LT this season unless Gandy gets injured, but I would not be surprised to see him make the move after this season, especially if Gandy is gone (isn't his contract up after this season?). I agree with Pat and madness, etc. in seeing Gibson as being a valuable back-up for the team if he gets his weight under control: he would give the team a lot of options in case of injury or just in terms of spelling guys along the line during the course of games. At his size it might be better to use him in spots rather than expect him to start and get most of the snaps at one position.