PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like Dick?

Mr. Cynical
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
1 winning season out of 6 as a head coach.

None of his defenses were in the top 10, either as HC or DC.

Why do you think he will be successful?

LtBillsFan66
07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
The jury's out, imo.

Mr. Cynical
07-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Well the jury is out on everyone at this point given the season hasn't started. However, people can still state their opinions or gut feelings as to why they think he will (or might) be good.

LtBillsFan66
07-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Well the jury is out on everyone at this point given the season hasn't started. However, people can still state their opinions or gut feelings as to why they think he will (or might) be good.
ok

The_Philster
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM
It's foolish to think that because Levy and Belichek both struggled in their first stops and then turned it around to become HOF coaches, that Jauron will do the same. At the same time, it's foolish to discount the possibility of it happening. Marv's a smart guy. At 80, I'd guess he's just as bright or brighter than a guy at 50. He's certainly not infallible as evidenced by the Dan Henning debacle of 1997 but he's had more hits than misses.

Mudflap1
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Marv picked him. Marv has been in the same boat, where he wasn't a top choice, but turned into a top coach. Jauron seems like a sharp, level-headed guy. He seems to have assembled a decent staff here.

That being said, we'll see what happens.

Jon

FlyingDutchman
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Nobody has made a wise crack at the title of this thread yet? God im immature.

patmoran2006
07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Marv picked him. Marv has been in the same boat, where he wasn't a top choice, but turned into a top coach. Jauron seems like a sharp, level-headed guy. He seems to have assembled a decent staff here.

That being said, we'll see what happens.

Jon
marv may have picked him, but I guarentee you that he was given a salary structure of candidates to pick from.. It's not like he coulda hired ANYONE he wanted regardless of the price tag they came with.

I'm not a fan of Jauron at all, but I am a fan of Fairchild and I think he'll be our head coach in two years.

patmoran2006
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
It's foolish to think that because Levy and Belichek both struggled in their first stops and then turned it around to become HOF coaches, that Jauron will do the same. At the same time, it's foolish to discount the possibility of it happening. Marv's a smart guy. At 80, I'd guess he's just as bright or brighter than a guy at 50. He's certainly not infallible as evidenced by the Dan Henning debacle of 1997 but he's had more hits than misses.
Since you like to say it all the time, I'll let the season play out before passing judgement.. .So far Marv has had ZERO hits and ZERO misses as GM and we wont know until the games start being played.

The_Philster
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
That's true but I'm talking about his decision-making ability overall...not purely as a GM

patmoran2006
07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
BTW,
DOES anyone here know what Jauron's salary is in regards to the rest of the NFL head coaches? I'd venture to say hes in the bottom five of salary, maybe even bottom three.

And thats a legit question, not a stab at him.

HAMMER
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
marv may have picked him, but I guarentee you that he was given a salary structure of candidates to pick from.. It's not like he coulda hired ANYONE he wanted regardless of the price tag they came with.

I'm not a fan of Jauron at all, but I am a fan of Fairchild and I think he'll be our head coach in two years.

Stop acting like you know this as fact. You have NO idea what Wilson told Marv when it was shopping time. Perhaps Marv truely felt Jauron was a better fit for this job than the other candidates, perhaps it was constrained by one or more factors. But you don't know, so stop the chest pounding conjecture Ice.

FlyingDutchman
07-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Who is going to be in charge of the play calling on offense?

The_Philster
07-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Who is going to be in charge of the play calling on offense?
Steve Fairchild (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coach.jsp?coach_id=21) is the Off Coordinator

Mitchy moo
07-18-2006, 04:02 PM
We all know holmgreen is a good coach and it took him years to get seattle in good shape. I almost feel that these guys like the challenge of turning team around and once that's done they move on. Look at vermeil, he gets St. louis a championship and then walks away from it. Then he takes another job w/ KC as a head coach and gets his old QB back from St. Louis.

I think that being a great head coach is a mix of opportunity, player chemistry, timing in players career's and injuries.

The_Philster
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
:faint: Nice post, Skooby

Regarding Holmgren, the big thing that set him back in Seattle was the GM role he had when he first took the job. Once he relinquished that role and concentrated on coaching, things started falling into place.

Mudflap1
07-18-2006, 04:08 PM
When Mularkey resigned, there weren't a ton of top candidates available. Sherman was a decent choice, but he's got his own methodology on how to do things. He may not have seen eye to eye with Marv, and that's not necessarily a money issue. Haslett didn't get hired by anybody. Fassel? He's not much better than Jauron, if at all.

There were no Romeo Crennels, Charlie Weis', or Bill Parcells' available out there. Not that we would have gone after a guy like Parcells, but we might've gone after a top-notch assistant if he was out there. They weren't, so we went with Jauron, whom Marv sees a bit of himself in. He wasn't my first choice, but I'm willing to give it a shot. We'll see what happens.

Jon

justasportsfan
07-18-2006, 04:12 PM
marv may have picked him, but I guarentee you that he was given a salary structure of candidates to pick from...really? I thought Ralphy wanted someone else (Sherman or Martz? ) and I'm sure if Marv went along w/ it, salary wouldn't have been a problem for Ralphy since it it was his choice.

The_Philster
07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
really? I thought Ralphy wanted someone else (Sherman or Martz? ) and I'm sure if Marv went along w/ it, salary wouldn't have been a problem for Ralphy since it it was his choice.
Word was that Ralph wanted Sherman

BillsFever21
07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Some of them like Dick for more reasons then Jauron.

But as far as Jauron is concerned it's a new coach so they have hope like they did with Mularkey and Clements and how we gonna turn it around and challange for the division and/or championship.

But just because Belichek had a losing stint his first time around then they think Jauron can be the next Belichek. I hope their right.

The coaches like Rich Kotite, Marty Morinweg, Mike Mularkey and other coaches who lost about twice as many games as they won doesn't fall into that category though. They would laugh at them if they were hired by another team. That is unless they were hired by the Bills and then the excuses about how their terrible win/loss record wasn't because of them and how they could be like Bill Belichek was when he went to New England.

One difference between Belicheck and Jauron is Belichek was still highly regarded and a high commodity after his stint in Cleveland. The Jets wanted him and the Patriots gave up draft picks to bring him to New England. They also paid him a ton of money.

Jauron on the other hand took over for Mooch after he was fired and continued to lose big and didn't have much interest by the Lions or any of the other teams that were looking for coaches. Instead of a big payday, Jauron was hired at a rockbottom price and follows in the footsteps as the rest of the coaches hired by the Bills in the last decade that are one of the lowest paid coaches in the league and making less then most coordinators around the league are.

Instead of the Lions keeping the next Bill Belichek when they already had him in their organization they decided to hire a rookie coach.

Why the hell wouldn't them or another team want to bring in someone who could be one of the lowest paid HC's in the league and have a chance of being the next Belicheck. Very stupid move on their part. They will seriously regret this 3 years from now when Buffalo his hoisting their 2nd Lombardi trophy in a row.

If you can't see the similarities between Jauron and Belichek going into their 2nd stint as a HC then you must be blind. It's sitting there right in front of you.

justasportsfan
07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Word was that Ralph wanted Shermanthanks.

I never liked coaches who get chummy w/ players. (moolarkey, Herman, Vermiel) BB and tuna usually get it done without having to be friendly w/ players. All business. As long as Jauron get's in the face of players when he has to like Cowher, maybe it'll work. Juaron (players coach) + Marv ( great motivator) = success (I hope.)

FlyingDutchman
07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Steve Fairchild (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coach.jsp?coach_id=21) is the Off Coordinator

yeah i know, but Martz actually called the plays in ST Louis. Who has the bigger infuence on play callin, him or Juron?

finsrclowns
07-18-2006, 04:39 PM
I was lukewarm at first but Mr. Cynical dissing the hire makes me feel a lot more confident Dick was a wise choice.:clap:

BillsNick
07-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Cuz it tastes delicious, silly :limp:

The_Philster
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
yeah i know, but Martz actually called the plays in ST Louis. Who has the bigger infuence on play callin, him or Juron?
well, considering Jauron's background is on Defense, I'd say Fairchild

Meathead
07-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Marv's a smart guy. At 80, I'd guess he's just as bright or brighter than a guy at 50.
plus 40, 30, 20, 10, and :log:

BAM
07-18-2006, 05:18 PM
I am unsure about Dick J just yet but I do know one thing... Dick Cheese is the M'F'in man!

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Sep-03-Wed-2003/photos/cheese.jpg

*NOTE: Never type Dick Cheese in a Yahoo image search.

Marino13Phins
07-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I bet you all love dick.

:snicker:

Mr. Cynical
07-18-2006, 05:26 PM

That's a fair statement. If you believe that Marv is capable as a GM, then I agree there is a fair chance he will likely succeed on some level because he personally picked Dick.

Mr. Cynical
07-18-2006, 05:28 PM
One difference between Belicheck and Jauron is Belichek was still highly regarded and a high commodity after his stint in Cleveland. The Jets wanted him and the Patriots gave up draft picks to bring him to New England. They also paid him a ton of money.

Jauron on the other hand took over for Mooch after he was fired and continued to lose big and didn't have much interest by the Lions or any of the other teams that were looking for coaches. Instead of a big payday, Jauron was hired at a rockbottom price and follows in the footsteps as the rest of the coaches hired by the Bills in the last decade that are one of the lowest paid coaches in the league and making less then most coordinators around the league are.

Instead of the Lions keeping the next Bill Belichek when they already had him in their organization they decided to hire a rookie coach.

This is spot on. It doesn't "guarantee" Dick will suck, but IMO it stacks the deck heavily against him when you combine this with his HC record and lack of a top ten defense.

shelby
07-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Cuz it tastes delicious, silly :limp:

:spit:

Dozerdog
07-18-2006, 07:56 PM
That's a fair statement. If you believe that Marv is capable as a GM, then I agree there is a fair chance he will likely succeed on some level because he personally picked Dick.Interesting .....this Freudian obsession you have with Dick.

You don't like your Dick?

You feel your Dick is inadequate?

You don't have any confidence and you think your Dick will wilt under pressure?

Personally- I think my Dick will be alright- as long as it thinks with it's bigger brain.

Goobylal
07-18-2006, 08:04 PM
1. Not a rookie head coach. Been there (twice!), done that, it sucked.
2. Was "Coach of the year" in 2001.
3. Players love him.
4. Is highly respected in coaching circles.
5. The Lions DIDN'T want him (Matt Millen is a moron of the highest order).

Do I expect him to be the next Belichick? No way. However I think he, like Belichick, learned something in his first go-around, and that's surround yourself with good coaches, and not your cronies, and delegate. Jauron's OC's in Chicago were horrible, but Fairchild looks like a good one. On defense, Fewell is unproven, but Jauron is a defensive-minded coach and will be able to help him out.

Dozerdog
07-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't thoink he will be the next Bellichick, but I do think he has the potential to be the next 1991 Jauron.