PDA

View Full Version : Q & A: Bills special teams ace Coy Wire

The_Philster
07-20-2006, 04:48 AM
One of the finest special teams performers and humanitarians in the NFL, Buffalo Bills safety Coy Wire has captained the franchise's special teams unit to two consecutive No. 1 rankings in the league. The 27-year-old was nice enough to answer some of my questions on his role, the coaching staff, and a few other interesting topics.
A special thanks to Coy, of course, and his agent, Ron Raccuia, for helping to get the ball rolling on this interview. more (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/07/q_a_bills_special_teams_ace_co.html)

THE END OF ALL DAYS
07-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Coy seems like a very decent man. It will be interesting to see if he is on the team this year.

patmoran2006
07-20-2006, 07:05 AM
He is soooooo gonna get cut

jamze132
07-20-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't think so he will be cut. He is a hell of a special teamer. Yeah, thats about all he brings to the table, fottball wise, but being one of the top special teams units in the NFL is nice and I'm sure they want to keep some of the key performers if possible. I think they find a spot.

patmoran2006
07-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Bowens is going to take his spot..

Whitner and Vincent starting safeties.. Baker and Simpson as backups, and Bowens.. Thats 5 safeties right there.

You see them carrying six safeties? I dont think there's a chance in france of that happening.. I think Wire is going bye bye.. The signing of Bowens made it likely and the drafting of two more safeties makes it a near-certainty.

mysticsoto
07-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Bowens is going to take his spot..

Whitner and Vincent starting safeties.. Baker and Simpson as backups, and Bowens.. Thats 5 safeties right there.

You see them carrying six safeties? I dont think there's a chance in france of that happening.. I think Wire is going bye bye.. The signing of Bowens made it likely and the drafting of two more safeties makes it a near-certainty.

Agreed. He may be a ST ace, but carrying him would cost too much and Bowens will be a good ST person also. I'm not sure if Simpson might be able to perform on ST also. Levy has a good eye for ST and despite us possibly losing a top guy there, I don't think the overall ST will skip a beat with Levy there.

patmoran2006
07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Ya not to mention WIre would be a $750 K against the cap 5th safety..

Nothing against Wire, there are just better safeties on this roster now.

Tatonka
07-20-2006, 11:03 AM
i like baker.. but baker may be the odd man out as well.

dont underestimate the fact that levy loves special teams guys, ala tasker, and if he thinks wire is that type of guy, being the st captain for a unit that has dominated, i just dont see them letting him go. on top of that, aiken is probably gone too, so i cant see them cutting two special teams aces in wire and aiken. but who knows.. the best man to help the team in whatever way will keep their job.

Jan Reimers
07-20-2006, 11:13 AM
While I'm not a big Wire fan - his coverage skills have been, to date, nonexistent - Bowen has not been a starter for a few years now, and may not be fast enough for our new D. And Wire is certainly a Levy-type guy.

If Whitner establishes himself as the starter, the Wire-Bowen roster spot battle (assuming Vincent, Baker and Simpson are locks along with Whitner, and that we will keep only 5 safeties) may boil down simply to whom is the better special teamer.

But Baker may not be a lock, and Leonhard may be in the mix, so it should be interesting at safety.

Earthquake Enyart
07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Wire looks good standing around the pile.