PDA

View Full Version : Briere's Arbitration, Salary or Post Arbitration Discussion - Merged

jamze132
07-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Any word yet? I know it will probablt take 2-3 days to get the numbers but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything yet.

bigbub2352
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
nothing yet

jamze132
07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Probably too early. I forget the time difference for me overseas.

SkateZilla
07-21-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=39705

Buffalo Sabres center Daniel Briere was the first to have his arbitration case heard in Toronto Thursday.

Briere tells 2 On Your Side that "things went well." But he declined to comment further, because he says there is still a chance that he and the Sabres could agree to a long-term contract.

ddaryl
07-21-2006, 03:30 AM
Long term is music to my ears.

I just do not like having 1-2 year deals for all of our players. We need a solid 1/3 of the team (the core) locked up for 4 years. That would be nice.

Michael82
07-21-2006, 03:40 PM
:scared:

JD
07-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Theyre suppose to tell us today! Its past noon so I think we signed Briere!!!!!! My guess.. 4 years, 4.3, 4.6, 4.9, 5.2.

Ebenezer
07-22-2006, 01:07 PM
the longer there is no word it tells me that they are working on a long term deal

pyrrhonist
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
the longer there is no word it tells me that they are working on a long term deal

We can only hope. I shudder to think how Darcy will respond to an arbitration award that will give Briere close to what Havlat got ($6 million/season). They both have similar numbers, and both missed quite a bit of time last season. :nervous:

Michael82
07-22-2006, 01:34 PM
We can only hope. I shudder to think how Darcy will respond to an arbitration award that will give Briere close to what Havlat got ($6 million/season). They both have similar numbers, and both missed quite a bit of time last season. :nervous:
Good point! i'm thinking Darcy realized that too and is working hard to get hm signed long term.

JD
07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I think around 20 mil for 4 years

pyrrhonist
07-22-2006, 01:49 PM
That seems to an equitable contract offer. :up:

My biggest beef remains that had Darcy locked Danny up before this past season (Were only a few of us able to see that Danny was the offensive key to this squad?), this wouldn't even be an issue. :nervous:

gannd
07-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Theyre suppose to tell us today! Its past noon so I think we signed Briere!!!!!! My guess.. 4 years, 4.3, 4.6, 4.9, 5.2.
I'm pretty sure when you go to arbitration a 1 year contract can only be done, you either accpt it or cut the player lose. I don't think you can offer a long term contract after arbitration happends.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

"When an arbitration decision is announced, the team has the right to decline, or "walk away" from the award. If the team exercises this right, the player can declare himself an unrestricted free agent."

mikemac2001
07-22-2006, 08:49 PM
ya but u can always make a new deal...so both sides might want a long term deal. and are working one out

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 11:22 AM
With all of the secrecy and mystery surrounding the delay in Briere's decision being announced, this is what one of my buddy's on another forum posted yesterday:

briere's decision will come tomorrow afternoon due to a arbitrator needing more time.

source: WIVB TV

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
my stomach cant stand the wait...:respect:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 11:31 AM
With all of the secrecy and mystery surrounding the delay in Briere's decision being announced, this is what one of my buddy's on another forum posted yesterday:
:nervous:

IMO, this is bull****. I think it means that they are working on getting a long term deal done and told the arbitrator to hold on a minute. I remember reading last week that the arbitrator is only allowed 48 hours to deliberate and make a decision. If they dont have it made by then, it probably means that the Sabres and working with his agent behind the scenes IMo.

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure what gannd posted above is correct, though---Once a hearing goes before the arbitrator, it's like saying "We couldn't make a deal amongst ourselves". After that, you're forced to either abide by that decision, or walk away from it, which allows the player to become a UFA. I need to look up the CBA and see for sure.

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Well then, we were saying? :D

Sources tell TSN Buffalo Sabres star Daniel Briere has been awarded a one year, $5 million settlement through arbitration.

The Sabres have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent.

Michael82
07-23-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure what gannd posted above is correct, though---Once a hearing goes before the arbitrator, it's like saying "We couldn't make a deal amongst ourselves". After that, you're forced to either abide by that decision, or walk away from it, which allows the player to become a UFA. I need to look up the CBA and see for sure.
thats not what they said on WGR. They said that there is still a chance that a deal might get done before the arbitrator rules.

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 11:49 AM
thats not what they said on WGR. They said that there is still a chance that a deal might get done before the arbitrator rules.

Well, it's a moot point, anyways, if the above post I put in is accurate. :nervous:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Well then, we were saying? :D

Sources tell TSN Buffalo Sabres star Daniel Briere has been awarded a one year, $5 million settlement through arbitration.

The Sabres have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent.
damn it! Why the hell couldnt they just come up with an extension for him. I hate this one year crap!!! :mad:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, it's a moot point, anyways, if the above post I put in is accurate. :nervous:
I'm hoping it isn't. :pray:

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 11:55 AM
damn it! Why the hell couldnt they just come up with an extension for him. I hate this one year crap!!! :mad:

Me too, man. This pisses me off to no end, because it should be obvious to Darcy that both Briere & Miller are worth locking up long-term, and not this 1-year bullcrap. :down:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Me too, man. This pisses me off to no end, because it should be obvious to Darcy that both Briere & Miller are worth locking up long-term, and not this 1-year bullcrap. :down:
and this one-year offer may cost us Briere next year if he stays healthy and does as good as I think he will. :ill:

:down:

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 11:59 AM
As if the cold/congestion I have isn't enough to make me cough up phlegm, the thought of him wearing a Red Wings, Avs, Stars, or Queefs jersey makes me want to puke. :(

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 12:01 PM
To add insult to injury, the article has been updated a bit:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172126&hubname=nhl

Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days. The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately. Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix.

:mad: :down: :mad: :down:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:24 PM

Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days. The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately. Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix.

what the ****!?!? Darcy!!! You cheap ****ing son of a *****!!!! Don't you dare trade our 2nd best player!!!! :mad: :curse: :down:

If you can agree to a ****ing 5 year deal worth $25 million, you better ****ing keep him!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:puke:

JD
07-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Bye bye danny!!

You piece of ****.

I want regier to just sign you so i can boo you at the home opener.

"I want the front office to step up and keep this team together"
Yeah.. now we know how much you really care about the team, you screwed us royally. **** YOU.

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Link?

JD
07-23-2006, 12:27 PM
*sticky me shelb*

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Negged! :negrep:

You had to know it was going to be high. If they agreed to a long term deal last year, they would have been fine. But Darcy didnt do that and it bit him in the ass! Now he had the chance to sign him long term again and still didnt ****ing do it. I blame Darcy. :mad: :curse:

JD
07-23-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.tsn.ca

JD
07-23-2006, 12:35 PM

You had to know it was going to be high. If they agreed to a long term deal last year, they would have been fine. But Darcy didnt do that and it bit him in the ass! Now he had the chance to sign him long term again and still didnt ****ing do it. I blame Darcy. :mad: :curse:
Ok, Mikey.. I'm going to understand that you havn't been a sabres fan that long so I wont really flip out.

Check out other boards. Everyone has turned on Briere. Why?

He turned down 4.3 mill a year from Darcy. Then goes into arbitration, KNOWING THAT HE WILL GET MORE MONEY. HE KNOWS WE ARE A SMALL MARKET TEAM THAT DOESNT SIGN CONTRACTS FOR 5 MILL A YEAR. HE KNOWS HOW BAD WE WOULD BE ****ED BUDGET-WISE IF HE WAS AWARDED BY THE ARBITRATOR. KNOWING THAT 9 OTHER PLAYERS ARE GOING INTO ARBITRATION WHO WILL LIKELY GET MORE MONEY THAN WHAT THEY DESERVE.... HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS GETTING HIMSELF AND THE TEAM INTO. SO THEREFORE. I BLAME BRIERE.

AND I SAY GET THE HELL OUT OF BUFFALO.

So, the neg goes to you mikey. Think before you post.
:negrep:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Oh and dont forget that we still got Max to sign. i wouldnt be surprised if he has a ridiculous number too. :ill:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Ok, Mikey.. I'm going to understand that you havn't been a sabres fan that long so I wont really flip out.

Check out other boards. Everyone has turned on Briere. Why?

He turned down 4.3 mill a year from Darcy. Then goes into arbitration, KNOWING THAT HE WILL GET MORE MONEY. HE KNOWS WE ARE A SMALL MARKET TEAM THAT DOESNT SIGN CONTRACTS FOR 5 MILL A YEAR. HE KNOWS HOW BAD WE WOULD BE ****ED BUDGET-WISE IF HE WAS AWARDED BY THE ARBITRATOR. KNOWING THAT 9 OTHER PLAYERS ARE GOING INTO ARBITRATION WHO WILL LIKELY GET MORE MONEY THAN WHAT THEY DESERVE.... HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS GETTING HIMSELF AND THE TEAM INTO. SO THEREFORE. I BLAME BRIERE.

So, the neg goes to you mikey. Think before you post.
:negrep:
I blame Darcy because he knew that he would have signed Briere with no problem if he offered that 5th year. Or if he went up just a bit more.

Nighthawk
07-23-2006, 12:38 PM
That's pretty much the going rate for a player like him, but yeah it does suck. However, Regier should've locked this guy up longer and I have to put much of the blame on him.

JD
07-23-2006, 12:38 PM
and connolly. Theyll each get about 3mill a year.

Were screwed.

The NHL is going in a downward spiral.

So much for the new CBA, STILL us small market teams cannot survive.

Pretty soon all teams will be moved to big market citys were they can thrive without even having a strong fan base.

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 12:39 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172126&hubname=nhl

Dr. Lecter
07-23-2006, 12:40 PM

It takes two to get a deal signed Mikey. How do you know what Briere wanted in a longterm deal?

And JD, chill. It is the system. The arbitrator gave Briere the money. What is he supposed to do, turn it down?

Dr. Lecter
07-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I blame Darcy because he knew that he would have signed Briere with no problem if he offered that 5th year. Or if he went up just a bit more.

And possibly throw the salary structure out of whack for 5 years?

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I blame all the other GMs and Owners out there giving out ****ing rageous contracts, like 4 mil to Mckee. NHL is going to ****ing DIE at this rate.

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:43 PM
That's pretty much the going rate for a player like him, but yeah it does suck. However, Regier should've locked this guy up longer and I have to put much of the blame on him.
Good post! :bf1:

JD
It takes two to get a deal signed Mikey. How do you know what Briere wanted in a longterm deal?

And JD, chill. It is the system. The arbitrator gave Briere the money. What is he supposed to do, turn it down?
No. He should have signed before hand. Darcy didnt offer that 5th year.. big deal?? It could have worked in Brieres favor that way..because maybe 4 years down the road he would be a superstar and get a HUGE pay check for that extra year.

Briere knew what type of situation his team was in with money, and for him to go public acting like hes a team player is absurd.

Biron+Briere+3rd=Zetterburg. Thanks, good ridens Danny!

Michael82
I blame all the other GMs and Owners out there giving out ****ing rageous contracts, like 4 mil to Mckee. NHL is going to ****ing DIE at this rate.
good point! It seems that the NHL did not learn its lesson. :ill:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:47 PM
No. He should have signed before hand. Darcy didnt offer that 5th year.. big deal?? It could have worked in Brieres favor that way..because maybe 4 years down the road he would be a superstar and get a HUGE pay check for that extra year.

Briere knew what type of situation his team was in with money, and for him to go public acting like hes a team player is absurd.

Biron+Briere+3rd=Zetterburg. Thanks, good ridens Danny!
I hate the way everyone acts with a player when they leave, especially the good guys and star players. People act like this all the time. I was going to buy a Daniel Briere jersey when the new ones came out, if they were the slug logo, and if he stays, I still will. He's a big reason why they got as far as they did and according to the pay structure of the moronic NHL, he's worth every penny. People did this with Moulds, who was also a good guy and it's just not right. For the guys that arent pieces of ****, they dont deserve this treatment. :shakeno:

Hello mcfly! Think before you post!!! :doh:

JD
07-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Were screwed.

Pretty soon all teams will be moved to big market citys were they can thrive without even having a strong fan base.Mikey is racist, I made a good point too.:respect:

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
dont blame danny, blame NHL front office,

they want teams to make money yet they are throwin out High Arbitration contracts..

Sign Danny .. i dont gie a poo how much.. he's worth it

JD
07-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I hate the way everyone acts with a player when they leave, especially the good guys and star players. People act like this all the time. I was going to buy a Daniel Briere jersey when the new ones came out, if they were the slug logo, and if he stays, I still will. He's a big reason why they got as far as they did and according to the pay structure of the moronic NHL, he's worth every penny. People did this with Moulds, who was also a good guy and it's just not right. For the guys that arent pieces of ****, they dont deserve this treatment. :shakeno:

Hello mcfly! Think before you post!!! :doh:
Hmm... dont group me with "people act like this all the time". I am talking about the situation at hand. Brieres in it for the money, not the team like he stated publicly..therefore I am pissed off and every Sabres fan has the right to be. We have a strict budget being a small market team. And if you want the team to be successful you sign the contract your given because its the best the team can do financially! ONCE again, he turned down Darcys offer KNOWING he would be awarded more thus putting sabres management in a huge bind!

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:57 PM
dont blame danny, blame NHL front office,

they want teams to make money yet they are throwin out High Arbitration contracts..

Sign Danny .. i dont gie a poo how much.. he's worth it
Excellent post!!! :bf1:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Hmm... dont group me with "people act like this all the time". I am talking about the situation at hand. Brieres in it for the money, not the team like he stated publicly..therefore I am pissed off and every Sabres fan has the right to be. We have a strict budget being a small market team. And if you want the team to be successful you sign the contract your given because its the best the team can do financially! ONCE again, he turned down Darcys offer KNOWING he would be awarded more thus putting sabres management in a huge bind!
You still dont get it. :cynic:

JD
07-23-2006, 01:07 PM
You still dont get it. :cynic:
Ok, your argument is that Briere should have been signed before?

It's sorta tough when he turned down Darcy and went to arbitration instead. If you designate yourself as the team player, you do things to help the team..and that includes working out your contract to help the team out. If he would have accepted something like... 4.4, 4.8, 5.2, 5.6 we would have been fine but no, he wants that extra year. That would have screwed us in the long run just as Lecter stated.

Philagape
07-23-2006, 01:19 PM
And JD, chill.

Good luck with that.

Only true fans scream like a baby.

Philagape
07-23-2006, 01:23 PM
A special player like Briere is worth every penny. He's the franchise. It's players like him that help win Stanley Cups.

It's now up to Darcy and Tom to see how much THEY are committed to their team and their community. They got away with a good year on the cheap, and now it's time to pay up.

YardRat
07-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think the extra year would have meant much, and wish Darcy would've given it Briere. He and Miller are the only two on the team that I consider untouchable at the moment.

Even if Regier went with the fifth year at 6mil, what's the big deal? How much do you think that fifth year is worth now, since year one is at 5mil already?

If anybody deserved a big contract after this season, it was Briere.

And just a sidenote...I can damn well assure anybody that Max is overpaid, whatever he got.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-23-2006, 01:31 PM
what the ****!?!? Darcy!!! You cheap ****ing son of a *****!!!! Don't you dare trade our 2nd best player!!!! :mad: :curse: :down:

If you can agree to a ****ing 5 year deal worth $25 million, you better ****ing keep him!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:puke:

:cry: Also, the Sabres can no longer discuss a long-term deal with Briere until January 1, 2007.
http://wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=39809

Michael82
07-23-2006, 01:33 PM
:cry: Also, the Sabres can no longer discuss a long-term deal with Briere until January 1, 2007.
:ill:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Good luck with that.

Only true fans scream like a baby.
:rofl:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 01:34 PM
A special player like Briere is worth every penny. He's the franchise. It's players like him that help win Stanley Cups.

It's now up to Darcy and Tom to see how much THEY are committed to their team and their community. They got away with a good year on the cheap, and now it's time to pay up.
Good post! :bf1:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't think the extra year would have meant much, and wish Darcy would've given it Briere. He and Miller are the only two on the team that I consider untouchable at the moment.

Even if Regier went with the fifth year at 6mil, what's the big deal? How much do you think that fifth year is worth now, since year one is at 5mil already?

If anybody deserved a big contract after this season, it was Briere.

And just a sidenote...I can damn well assure anybody that Max is overpaid, whatever he got.
Another good post! If anyone was worth the money he wanted, it was Danny Briere. Look at what he did in the postseason alone. I still remember sitting in the seat at Game 6 of the ECF and seeing him score the game winning goal in OT. That place went nuts. I'd hate to see him go and would definitely blame Darcy. :mad:

Philagape
07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't ever want to hear someone say all the players care about is money when we have management that refuses to come within $10 MILLION of the salary cap.

Michael82
07-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't ever want to hear someone say all the players care about is money when we have management that refuses to come within $10 MILLION of the salary cap.
:clap:

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Whats the Cap at now?,

Seriously, NHL Rolls Back Slaries to help teams make money then they inflate them... the GMs and Owners should be blowing a gasket,

i agree briere is worth 4.5-5 million, but Arbitration boards handed out 5 Million+ to 3 Players that played 48 or Less games last season.. HELLO!?!?!?!!?!?! So much for helping teams make money.....

the Thing is, yeah he's getting 5 Mill for one year, but he might not get that on any other contracts after that year :), seriously, teams wanted to give out $$$$ during Free Agency becuase of all the free agents and they wanted to get some good players now that other teams were doing slary dumps to be under the cap...

Golisano needs to realize your not gonna get anything being a cheapskate... sign Danny, and in January have a conference with him...

I Honestly would mind parting with...
Max, Kotalik, Biron

Max Vanished in the playoffs.. and has shown he holds on to the puck to much, I compare max to Dwayne Robinson from D2 : THe Mighty Ducks.. lmao.. nothing aginst him though....

That saves 3 + Million prolly..

Kotalik had 17 goals less than half way thru the season.. and the last 1/2 of the season he got what 8 goals?.. he looked lik he didnt want the puck.. always passsing away when he was put on the point to shoot..

That Saves 2+ Million....

Biron, I have nothing against him, but 2 Mill for a Backup is Ludacriss, ship him off to some team we'll never see, and get some prospects or a cheapo defensemen,

Drops 2+ Million..

I Dont Mind Parting with Dumont either saving a few Million...

Which takes off about 10 Million, and we bring in 4 Rookies from last year to take their spots at about 2.5 million so saving 7.5 million

Afinogenov, Maxim - Unsigned
Biron, Martin - $2,128,000.00
Briere, Daniel - $5,000,000.00
Campbell, Brian - $1,250,000.00
Connolly,Tim - Unsigned
Drury, Chris - $3,154,000.00
Dumont, Jean-Pierre - Unsigned
Fitzpatrick, Rory - Unsigned
Gaustad, Paul - Unsigned
Hecht, Jochen - $2,350,000.00
Jillson, Jeff - Unsigned
Kalinin, Dimitri - Unsigned
Kotalik, Ales - Unsigned
Lydman, Toni - Unsigned
MacArthur, Clarke - $600,000.00
Mair, Adam - Unsigned
Mancari, Mark - $475,000.00
Miller, Ryan - Unsigned
Novotny, Jiri - Unsigned
Numminen, Teppo - $2,600,000.00
Paetsch, Nathan - $495,000.00
Peters, Andrew - $460,000.00
Pominville, Jason - Unsigned
Roy, Derek - $627,000.00
Spacek, Jaroslav - $3,225,000.00
Tallinder, Henrik - $1,600,000.00
Thorburn, Chris - Unsigned
Vanek, Thomas - $942,400.00

TOTALS: 24,460,900
14 PLayers Left to Sign

Dr. Lecter
07-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Another good post! If anyone was worth the money he wanted, it was Danny Briere. Look at what he did in the postseason alone. I still remember sitting in the seat at Game 6 of the ECF and seeing him score the game winning goal in OT. That place went nuts. I'd hate to see him go and would definitely blame Darcy. :mad:

Again Mikey there are unknowns:

1. What is Dacry being told by ownership?
2. How much money did Briere want (total and in year 5)?
3. What is the teams long term plans? Can they keep Miller, Drury, Tallinder and Briere for each of the next 5 seasons?

Too many people are assuming they know more than they really do.

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
honestly the Team Knew the Salaries would go up .. it was expected..

some people need to get a grip... we trade away dead wieght and bring in the young players that played for us last year when players were dropping like flies..

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 02:15 PM
ok,

ANother Thing I just feel i have to point out to all the Panicing peeps..

Briere > Satan (Briere is greater than Satan)

The Sabres were Paying Satan 4.5 And 5.5 In the Old NHL, .. so... I think they should ante up and Pay Briere in the New NHL...

TacklingDummy
07-23-2006, 02:24 PM

:

Isn't Golisano a Billionare? There's no reason the Sabres couldn't pay him, or Mckee, or any of the other 9 players they have in arbitration. I blame the ownership.

gannd
07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
5 million for a teams highest paid player is not bad. You guys have to think a little more realistic. Don't think you can hang back well below the salary cap and have great players every year.

JD
07-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Isn't Golisano a Billionare? There's no reason the Sabres couldn't pay him, or Mckee, or any of the other 9 players they have in arbitration. I blame the ownership.
I agree with you on that. I heard that Golisano spent 100 MILLION on a failed election run. That insane! To me, he isn't taking this seriously. It's just a financial investment to him.

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 02:29 PM

Theres No Source on the Deal he Turned Down, that is pure Speculation,

unless the offer was signed and released to a public, then the detials were not known..

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Bye bye danny!!

You piece of ****.

I want regier to just sign you so i can boo you at the home opener.

"I want the front office to step up and keep this team together"
Yeah.. now we know how much you really care about the team, you screwed us royally. **** YOU.
What are you talking about? It was awarded by an arbitrator. How is this his fault in any way? What a terrible post

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 02:31 PM

Were screwed.

Pretty soon all teams will be moved to big market citys were they can thrive without even having a strong fan base.
HOLY **** you need to get off the ledge man. We will be fine.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 02:33 PM
You don't get to be billionaire by making stupid business decisions. There is no reason a multiyear deal can't be signed later.

JD
07-23-2006, 02:42 PM
What are you talking about? It was awarded by an arbitrator. How is this his fault in any way? What a terrible post
Well thanks captain obvious. I'm just saying. Briere said he wanted the team to stay together. He turned down a 4-year deal and elected to go into arbitration knowing he would get more money there. Knowing the situation the team is in, he knows how screwed we would be if he was awarded insane amounts of money. Darcy went public saying he wanted to give Briere a 4 year contract but Danny wanted 5-year.

JD
07-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Trade proposal.. Briere, Dumont, Biron for Ovechkin :D

:lol:

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
If the Sabres offered Briere $4 mil for 4 years, they can certainly afford $5 Mil for one year and from there../

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Trade proposal.. Briere, Dumont, Biron for Ovechkin :D

:lol:

Did you go over to Zilla's house and start smoking the same thing he is?

JD
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Notice my little smiley at the bottom? It was a joke.

But no.. why? does he have some good shiz?? :respect:

SkateZilla
07-23-2006, 03:16 PM

Say What?

TacklingDummy
07-23-2006, 03:43 PM
I heard that Golisano spent 100 MILLION on a failed election run. That insane! To me, he isn't taking this seriously. It's just a financial investment to him.

I agree with you. Golisano can spend 100 Million on a election any "realist" could of told him he wouldn't win. He only bought the Sabres cause no one else wanted them and he got them cheap. I don't think he really cares that much about the Sabres. It's probably just a tax write off or something for him.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2006, 03:46 PM
You don't get to be billionaire by making stupid business decisions. There is no reason a multiyear deal can't be signed later.

Didn't Briere turn down a multiyear deal last year?

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 04:04 PM
This thread nearly mirrors the one I posted in about Peca.....

Too many blind, loyalist fans that take the side of the front office, and turn their back on the player.

Don't tell me that Danny is to blame for this, when he's not. There are many to blame here:

1) THE NHL GMs---As Skate said, it's crap that all of these salaries are just as bad, if not getting worse with the new CBA. It's just that now, many teams are in on the stupidity, not just the same 4 or 5 teams.

2) THE ARBITRATOR---He/she's the one that gave the award. But seriously, what was he supposed to do? Havlat's making $6 million/year on similar numbers (And he even missed time last season, like Danny), so it was pretty clear to me (and I said it in a few other threads, since we always post new threads for everything) that Danny wasn't going to come cheaply.

3) DARCY REGIER &/OR OWNERSHIP---Once again, the Sabres show their penny-pinching ways in dealing with players. The Peca thing was the last major that sticks in my mind, and what do you know, it's happening again to Briere. How in the @#&% can you not see how important this guy is to the franchise, and piss in his face again, not giving him a long-term? I know that it takes 2 to negotiate, but really, how can you continue to side with the franchise when it's happened time and time again with players on this squad?

If Briere leaves this team due to this (Before the season begins), I once again have to call into question my loyalty to this franchise. I did it during the whole Rigass fiasco, and I must raise the question again. This franchise must really think that since they did so well last season with cheap payroll, it'll work every season. WRONG. Carolina started off paying little, but they were willing to make the moves necessary to seal the deal as the season went on. Sure, we all feel that they wouldn't have gotten past Buffalo had the Sabres been 100% healthy (I still believe this), but they didn't just call up some AHL player to replace Erik Cole, they went out and made moves at the deadline to get Recchi to keep plugging away. And look---They won the Cup.

To me, Buffalo will be defined by how this situation pans out. If they keep Danny and then look to re-negotiate in January, then all is well. If they turn their back on him and allow him to go for squat (I really don't think even Regier is that stupid), then this team shows to its current roster, just as it has in the past, that it really doesn't care about what you've done, they only care about the bottom line. :down:

Michael82
07-23-2006, 04:08 PM
This thread nearly mirrors the one I posted in about Peca.....

Too many blind, loyalist fans that take the side of the front office, and turn their back on the player.

Don't tell me that Danny is to blame for this, when he's not. There are many to blame here:

1) THE NHL GMs---As Skate said, it's crap that all of these salaries are just as bad, if not getting worse with the new CBA. It's just that now, many teams are in on the stupidity, not just the same 4 or 5 teams.

2) THE ARBITRATOR---He/she's the one that gave the award. But seriously, what was he supposed to do? Havlat's making $6 million/year on similar numbers (And he even missed time last season, like Danny), so it was pretty clear to me (and I said it in a few other threads, since we always post new threads for everything) that Danny wasn't going to come cheaply.

3) DARCY REGIER &/OR OWNERSHIP---Once again, the Sabres show their penny-pinching ways in dealing with players. The Peca thing was the last major that sticks in my mind, and what do you know, it's happening again to Briere. How in the @#&% can you not see how important this guy is to the franchise, and piss in his face again, not giving him a long-term? I know that it takes 2 to negotiate, but really, how can you continue to side with the franchise when it's happened time and time again with players on this squad?

If Briere leaves this team due to this (Before the season begins), I once again have to call into question my loyalty to this franchise. I did it during the whole Rigass fiasco, and I must raise the question again. This franchise must really think that since they did so well last season with cheap payroll, it'll work every season. WRONG. Carolina started off paying little, but they were willing to make the moves necessary to seal the deal as the season went on. Sure, we all feel that they wouldn't have gotten past Buffalo had the Sabres been 100% healthy (I still believe this), but they didn't just call up some AHL player to replace Erik Cole, they went out and made moves at the deadline to get Recchi to keep plugging away. And look---They won the Cup.

To me, Buffalo will be defined by how this situation pans out. If they keep Danny and then look to re-negotiate in January, then all is well. If they turn their back on him and allow him to go for squat (I really don't think even Regier is that stupid), then this team shows to its current roster, just as it has in the past, that it really doesn't care about what you've done, they only care about the bottom line. :down:

Excellent post! :bf1:

But, truthfully, i see everyone pissed off at the front office, owner, and the NHL. I see most people here agreeing with you. The only person that seems to blame Briere is JD.

:up:

hammerbillsfan
07-23-2006, 04:09 PM
What do you expect when the GMs got an extra $5 M to play with this season?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Forked from: Briere's Hearing (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1567508)

If we do trade Briere to any of these teams I want a big name player in return for him not a draft pick, not an AHLer, or not a rookie either a BIG NAMED PLAYER!!!

Montreal- Koivu, Boulion, or Kovalev
Los Angeles- Conroy, Miller bring him home to Buffalo, Camelari
Atlanta- Kovalchuck

what do you guys think of my list:question:

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM
But, truthfully, i see everyone pissed off at the front office, owner, and the NHL. I see most people here agreeing with you. The only person that seems to blame Briere is JD.

Good call, mon ami. I shouldn't cast a stone at everyone at the expense of one person.

My apologies to those I seem to be brushing with such a broadstroke. :cool:

pyrrhonist
07-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh, now someone wants to discuss Briere in the original thread! :D :D :D

lordofgun
07-23-2006, 06:01 PM
If Spacek is worth over 3 mil, you'd better believe Briere is worth every penny of $5 mil.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Well thanks captain obvious. I'm just saying. Briere said he wanted the team to stay together. He turned down a 4-year deal and elected to go into arbitration knowing he would get more money there. Knowing the situation the team is in, he knows how screwed we would be if he was awarded insane amounts of money. Darcy went public saying he wanted to give Briere a 4 year contract but Danny wanted 5-year.
It is all bargaining man. I am sure they still can work on it.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 06:06 PM
If Spacek is worth over 3 mil, you'd better believe Briere is worth every penny of $5 mil.
Seriously.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I agree with you. Golisano can spend 100 Million on a election any "realist" could of told him he wouldn't win. He only bought the Sabres cause no one else wanted them and he got them cheap. I don't think he really cares that much about the Sabres. It's probably just a tax write off or something for him.
You have to be kidding me. If you really think this you have problems.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
The thing that some of you don't realize is that neither side is to blame really. The Sabres possibly can't afford Briere's salary and Briere certainly has the right to go for what he is worth. It was a arbitration hearing from a nuetral party. The team does have 12 players they needed to resign which is a league high. They can't possibly afford to give them all raises. I want to see who is on the team after the dust settles.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-23-2006, 06:16 PM
It is all bargaining man. I am sure they still can work on it.

:shakeno: the Sabres can no longer discuss a long-term deal with Briere until January 1, 2007.

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
By Jan 07 the team will have a better idea of their situation.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Whats the Cap at now?,

Seriously, NHL Rolls Back Slaries to help teams make money then they inflate them... the GMs and Owners should be blowing a gasket,

i agree briere is worth 4.5-5 million, but Arbitration boards handed out 5 Million+ to 3 Players that played 48 or Less games last season.. HELLO!?!?!?!!?!?! So much for helping teams make money.....

the Thing is, yeah he's getting 5 Mill for one year, but he might not get that on any other contracts after that year :), seriously, teams wanted to give out $$$$ during Free Agency becuase of all the free agents and they wanted to get some good players now that other teams were doing slary dumps to be under the cap...

Golisano needs to realize your not gonna get anything being a cheapskate... sign Danny, and in January have a conference with him...

I Honestly would mind parting with...
Max, Kotalik, Biron

Max Vanished in the playoffs.. and has shown he holds on to the puck to much, I compare max to Dwayne Robinson from D2 : THe Mighty Ducks.. lmao.. nothing aginst him though....

That saves 3 + Million prolly..

Kotalik had 17 goals less than half way thru the season.. and the last 1/2 of the season he got what 8 goals?.. he looked lik he didnt want the puck.. always passsing away when he was put on the point to shoot..

That Saves 2+ Million....

Biron, I have nothing against him, but 2 Mill for a Backup is Ludacriss, ship him off to some team we'll never see, and get some prospects or a cheapo defensemen,

Drops 2+ Million..

I Dont Mind Parting with Dumont either saving a few Million...

Which takes off about 10 Million, and we bring in 4 Rookies from last year to take their spots at about 2.5 million so saving 7.5 million

Afinogenov, Maxim - Unsigned
Biron, Martin - $2,128,000.00
Briere, Daniel - $5,000,000.00
Campbell, Brian - $1,250,000.00
Connolly,Tim - Unsigned
Drury, Chris - $3,154,000.00
Dumont, Jean-Pierre - Unsigned
Fitzpatrick, Rory - Unsigned
Gaustad, Paul - Unsigned
Hecht, Jochen - $2,350,000.00
Jillson, Jeff - Unsigned
Kalinin, Dimitri - Unsigned
Kotalik, Ales - Unsigned
Lydman, Toni - Unsigned
MacArthur, Clarke - $600,000.00
Mair, Adam - Unsigned
Mancari, Mark - $475,000.00
Miller, Ryan - Unsigned
Novotny, Jiri - Unsigned
Numminen, Teppo - $2,600,000.00
Paetsch, Nathan - $495,000.00
Peters, Andrew - $460,000.00
Pominville, Jason - Unsigned
Roy, Derek - $627,000.00
Spacek, Jaroslav - $3,225,000.00
Tallinder, Henrik - $1,600,000.00
Thorburn, Chris - Unsigned
Vanek, Thomas - $942,400.00

TOTALS: 24,460,900
14 PLayers Left to Sign

The reason Kotalik didn't shoot the puck and passed it on the power play is because he kept breaking his sticks when he would wind up to shoot the puck. How many times last yr. did we hear RJ say that Kotalik didn't get the shot away because his stick is broken or he didn't get a slapshot away because he shattered his stick.

TacklingDummy
07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
You have to be kidding me. If you really think this you have problems.

You think Golisano had a chance to win the election? You're a Golisano "homer" if you think that. Any "realist" knew he didn't have a chance and wasted 100 million in doing so.

Im sure it was some kind of tax write off buying the sabres.

You're saying someone else wanted to buy the Sabres?

Where am I wrong?

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 09:42 PM

You actually know the name of a character from the Mighty Ducks movie?!?!?. You need to burn ALL your hockey stuff and take up tennis, just becareful of your ankle, it also makes you go bald, and gives you cancer.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Sounds like the Sabres will give him the 5 million and he said that Darcy hasn't talked about trading him.
http://wgrz.com/video/Sportsvplayer.aspx?aid=16766&bw=

JD
07-23-2006, 10:34 PM
My soon to be girlfriend works at Tim Hortons. And she said that the team still comes in together and buys donuts, coffee..and they all sit and tell jokes..making fun of eachother every chance she gets. She said Briere is the nicest of them all and she said she thinks hes really the kind of guy that has a team first mentality. Shes getting me a job there (even though i have 2) working just sundays, which is the day they usually come in. I'm going to get some sweet autographs! :D

THATHURMANATOR
07-23-2006, 10:36 PM
To quote JD sabrefan

"Bye bye danny!!

You piece of ****."

SabreEleven
07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
To quote JD sabrefan

"Bye bye danny!!

You piece of ****."

15 minutes will change a guy.

clumping platelets
07-23-2006, 11:40 PM
I want free Timmy Ho's :java:

jamze132
07-24-2006, 02:13 AM
I will still have a "wait and see" approach to all this stuff. Lets not pass judgement yet. There are things that we might not be aware of yet.

Crisis
07-24-2006, 02:56 AM
We can't sign-and-trade Briere until after Jan 1st.

As far as I know we can only accept or decline the arbitratior's award until Jan 1st. After then we can sign him or sign-and-trade.

Any teams trading for Briere would be trading for a pending UFA.

SkateZilla
07-24-2006, 05:17 AM
guys,.... the sabres were ready to hand him 4.8 a yuear, whats 200k?, seriously. they dont have to pay pyatt to sit ont eh bench and do Maybeline/Proactive commercials anymore.. :respect:

SkateZilla
07-24-2006, 05:59 AM
also, in January, theres no rule saying new contracts have to be more than the year befores :) so expect something like 4.8+4.9+5.0+5.1

SkateZilla
07-24-2006, 06:00 AM
guys,.... the sabres were ready to hand him 4.8 a yuear, whats 200k?, seriously. they dont have to pay pyatt to sit ont eh bench and do Maybeline/Proactive commercials anymore.

jamze132
07-24-2006, 09:08 AM
The Sabres have 48 hours after the arbitrators decision to either sign him or let him be a free agent. He doesn't have to wait until Jan 07 to be traded or sign another contract. However, if Buffalo does pick up the $5 mil, which they should, they can't sign him to another contract until Jan. 07. Neither can anyone else, and no one else can even contact him until next off season. So we will have from Jan 07 until Jul 07 exclusive rights to Briere. If I am wrong, someone prove it to me.

SkateZilla
07-24-2006, 10:17 AM
The Sabres have 48 hours after the arbitrators decision to either sign him or let him be a free agent. He doesn't have to wait until Jan 07 to be traded or sign another contract. However, if Buffalo does pick up the $5 mil, which they should, they can't sign him to another contract until Jan. 07. Neither can anyone else, and no one else can even contact him until next off season. So we will have from Jan 07 until Jul 07 exclusive rights to Briere. If I am wrong, someone prove it to me.

Thats correct..

Philagape
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM

This says we can wait until after all the arbitration cases are decided:
Teams normally have 48 hours to accept the ruling or allow the player to become an unrestricted free agent. The Sabres, though, could have until Aug. 8 because of a rule that states teams don't have to decide until 48 hours after their final arbitration ruling or settlement. Forward Adam Mair has his hearing scheduled for Aug. 4 (and the verdict can come 48 hours after that), so the Sabres can take their time on decisions regarding Briere and any upcoming arbitration award.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060724/1069721.asp

SkateZilla
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
whts to Flipping Decide... SIGN HIM NOW!!!

jamze132
07-25-2006, 07:54 AM
I am growing impatient waiting on word of what the Sabres are going to do with Briere!

SkateZilla
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Teams with Multiple hearigns have 48 Hours after the Final hearing, which is August 4th...:honda:

jamze132
07-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Teams with Multiple hearigns have 48 Hours after the Final hearing, which is August 4th...:honda:
Oh... I can't wait that long!

bigbub2352
07-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Hopefully it will give them ample time to sign him long term and make every one happy

pyrrhonist
07-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I love how new rules are being invented on the fly. It's supposed to be 48 hours after a hearing the ruling is announced (Didn't happen), and then 48 hours after that , the team's GM decides whether to accept or walk (Hasn't happened).

What's up?

pyrrhonist
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Hopefully it will give them ample time to sign him long term and make every one happy

It's the only thing that will make me truly happy. :up:

SABURZFAN
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I love how new rules are being invented on the fly. It's supposed to be 48 hours after a hearing the ruling is announced (Didn't happen), and then 48 hours after that , the team's GM decides whether to accept or walk (Hasn't happened).

What's up?

must be a snag in the sign and trade.i hope we don't deal him to Montreal either.L.A. sounds like a good place. :up:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM

:nono: the Sabres can no longer discuss a long-term deal with Briere until January 1, 2007.

pyrrhonist
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
At this point, with TSN being the only outlet to report the trade part of the story, I'm going to hope that the sign-&-trade situation is bogus.....

....it's the only thing that will keep me sane.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
At this point, with TSN being the only outlet to report the trade part of the story, I'm going to hope that the sign-&-trade situation is bogus.....

....it's the only thing that will keep me sane.

WGRZ, Ch2 talked to Briere and he said that he talked to Darcy Regier and he said that he hadn't talked with any teams about a trade.
http://wgrz.com/video/Sportsvplayer.aspx?aid=16766&bw=

jamze132
07-25-2006, 11:59 AM
:nono: the Sabres can no longer discuss a long-term deal with Briere until January 1, 2007.
I believe you are correct. And if we do pick up the $5 mil, we are the only team that can negotiate with him after Jan 07 until Free Agency begins in the summer.

SkateZilla
07-25-2006, 01:19 PM

ok misunderstood me a lil,

Once Arbitration makes the Ruling, the sabres have 48 hours after the final hearing to accept or decline (making Danny an UFA), they cant negotiate a contract after teh award has been given... until Januaray 1st (well they could and just not talk about it publically until '07), like while they are on the bench, lmao

Ruff : "Hey Danny, 4.6, 4.8, 5.0 ,5.2 good for 4 years?"
Danny : "I Dunno, gimmie this shift to think about it" [Danny goes over boards onto ice]
[Danny gets back on bench 1 minute later]
Danny : "I think that should work"
Ruff : "Dont tell your agent untill new years"
Danny : "No Shiz Lindy"

SkateZilla
07-25-2006, 01:23 PM

and this is garbage, because they cant negotiate after teh Rulling on contract length.. who comes up with this garbage? TSN and HockeyBuzz are dumb analyst that coouldnt make ESPN... dont read into anything they say...

pyrrhonist
07-25-2006, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't go that far....

TSN is usually up there in trustworthiness (Or "truthiness" for you Colbert fans... :D), and I wouldn't dare drop them to the ESPN level. To be compared to ESPN's coverage of hockey is the kiss of death.

jamze132
07-26-2006, 02:58 AM
This says we can wait until after all the arbitration cases are decided:
Teams normally have 48 hours to accept the ruling or allow the player to become an unrestricted free agent. The Sabres, though, could have until Aug. 8 because of a rule that states teams don't have to decide until 48 hours after their final arbitration ruling or settlement. Forward Adam Mair has his hearing scheduled for Aug. 4 (and the verdict can come 48 hours after that), so the Sabres can take their time on decisions regarding Briere and any upcoming arbitration award.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060724/1069721.asp
Yes you are correct. Someone pointed out to me after my original post that the Sabres have 48 hours after the last hearing. Thanks.